Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Father's Land Vs Birth Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Father's Land Vs Birth Land (3499 Views)

Picture Of A Gallant Soldier That Died While Fighting For His Father's Land. / Osun 2014: Who Owns Father's Land / Dying To Serve My Father Land( Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Father's Land Vs Birth Land by EloSela(f): 4:49pm On May 28, 2010
Fathers Land Vs Born and Bred Land.

I tend to hear the term ‘Father’s Land’ used a lot on NL and other Nigerian boards with the notion that that is the only land a Nigerian can be patriotic to. Why?

If one is more familiar with their place of birth and the country that they were reared that they are to their father’s land why is that a major crime to other Nigerians who think that that person’s loyalties and patriotism should forever be with Nigeria? Why is that when a person with a notably Nigerian name but who was born and reared abroad chooses to represent the country of their birth they are more or less seen as sell outs or as suffering from self hatred by other Nigerians? Is the fact these people recognise Nigeria as the land of their fathers not enough?

Why the insistence that your father’s land must always be your home when in some cases you are not familiar with it?

What about an Igbo, Urbobo or Hausa person whose family have been in Lagos for years and can even speak Yoruba better than the some indigenous Yorubas? Do they not have the same right to Lagos as the next Lagosian who happens to be Yoruba? Can an Igbo, Urhobo or Ijaw man ever become the governor of Lagos? I have nieces and nephews who were born and bred in Lagos and in the eyes of some they will never ever be indigenes because their parents originated from elsewhere in Nigeria and so I ask this question on their behalf too.

Mama may have, Papa may have but God bless the child that has his own.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 11:50pm On May 28, 2010
I wonder why non yorubas think Lagos is an easy state to govern. like really?

Lagos state is peaceful because a yoruba is the Gov.
I doubt other ethncities, can understand its complex religous and ethnic make up.

So they should leave it like that for now- maybe in the future 60-89 years from now it may change but till then yoruba governor from a muslim and christian family.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by EzeUche(m): 11:53pm On May 28, 2010
^^^^^^^

And you call Nigerian one?

Stop with this crap. Any other civilized nation would not worry about what ethnicity you are. As long as you get the job done. It is people like you that is keep Nigeria backwards!  angry

But this is what I would expect from a Muslim who is not as enlighten as us Christians. Even you pseudo-Muslims among the Yoruba are keeping your race backwards.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 11:57pm On May 28, 2010
^^^^

what are yout talking about you GOAT - when has there ever been a black muslim president in America or Uk PM? so ethnicity and religion matters everywhere in the world.

Nigeria can break up- I dont care.

EzeUche:

But this is what I would expect from a Muslim who is not as enlighten as us Christians. Even you pseudo-Muslims among the Yoruba are keeping your race backwards.

@ poster the above is the reason why a non yoruba cannot be gov of Lagos state.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by EzeUche(m): 11:58pm On May 28, 2010
^^^^^^

You foolish person. . .

We know how backwards you Muslims are . . . Always starting trouble and not becoming civilized!
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 12:00am On May 29, 2010
im a christian you idiot.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by EzeUche(m): 12:01am On May 29, 2010
sjeezy8:

im a christian you idiot.

I don't believe you. Either you are Muslim or SeFAGo is one.

Anyway, it is your backward thinking why the nation cannot progress. It should not matter what ethnicity you fool.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 12:04am On May 29, 2010
EzeUche:

I don't believe you. Either you are Muslim or SeFAGo is one.

Anyway, it is your backward thinking why the nation cannot progress. It should not matter what ethnicity you fool.

is that so ? tell that to everyone in the world you goat. let yorubas do their own thing we are in our own region, you do yours how you want, we'll do ours how we like.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by EzeUche(m): 12:08am On May 29, 2010
sjeezy8:

is that so ? tell that to everyone in the world you goat. let yorubas do their own thing we are in our own region, you do yours how you want, we'll do ours how we like.

We Igbos built up Lagos! You all cannot claim it as long as Eastern oil was used to pay for that crappy city of yours.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 12:11am On May 29, 2010
EzeUche:

We Igbos built up Lagos! You all cannot claim it as long as Eastern oil was used to pay for that crappy city of yours.

Oil money was used to pay for Lagos Island the former capital of Nigeria not LAGOS STATE. Lagos island is even becoming OLD NEWS- so that place will be dead in a decade or two after eko atlantic grin, Badagry and Lekki are developed.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by EzeUche(m): 12:18am On May 29, 2010
^^^^^^^

Where are you getting the revenue for this?

It will still be based on OIL! undecided
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 12:25am On May 29, 2010
EzeUche:

^^^^^^^

Where are you getting the revenue for this?

It will still be based on OIL! undecided

lol are you dumb like really all this revenue will be from different investments. and guess what theres an estimated 40billion barrels of crude between Lagos, Ondo, and Ogun. No be big deal. Oil is even nothing to us.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by EzeUche(m): 12:30am On May 29, 2010
sjeezy8:

lol are you dumb like really all this revenue will be from different investments. and guess what theres an estimated 40billion barrels of crude between Lagos, Ondo, and Ogun. No be big deal. Oil is even nothing to us.

And you foolish if you think that Yorubas will be doing the investing. All your people do is spend money on big fancy parties. It is the Igbo who invest in other people's land unfortunately.

It will be still be the sweet crude light from the Niger Delta that will go to Lagos. Do not be a fool.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 12:41am On May 29, 2010
EzeUche:

And you foolish if you think that Yorubas will be doing the investing. All your people do is spend money on big fancy parties. It is the Igbo who invest in other people's land unfortunately.

It will be still be the sweet crude light from the Niger Delta that will go to Lagos. Do not be a fool.

Im not going to go back and forth about tribal stuff- cause I dont care im talking about Lagos state.

lol Nigeria can break up anytime,  we wont die. If igbos stay in Lagos ok and if not still ok lol, like really we dont care. Its  win-win situation.

Lagos was Lagos before igbos and will be afterwards. . . ko matta
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 12:51am On May 29, 2010
anyway ms poster . .

a non yoruba cannot be gov of Lagos state right now because Hausas- fulanis are too radical with Islam they offend christians and Christian, igbo, ijaws or urohobo may offend the muslims esp in our religous society.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by honeric01(m): 4:09am On May 29, 2010
^^^^

so do you mean the Yoruba Muslims are as violent and uncivilized as their counterpart in the north and have been hiding under the disguise of being peaceful just because a Yoruba is governing them?

but why do yorubas also keep money in igbo banks? why haven't they boycotted igbo banks in Lagos since it's not owned or governed by yorubas?

abeg no questions oo, no insult me please oo. tongue
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by jimmysho(m): 4:45am On May 29, 2010
my fatherland is my main priority. i will respect the law of the land of wherever i was born and even where i do business. but my country tak a larger shunk of my loyality, respect, honour and patriotism
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Sonofpeace(m): 11:53am On May 29, 2010
Why is there always war btw Igbos and Yorubas in NL.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Demdem(m): 12:15pm On May 29, 2010
EloSela:

I tend to hear the term ‘Father’s Land’ used a lot on NL and other Nigerian boards with the notion that that is the only land a Nigerian can be patriotic to. Why?

If one is more familiar with their place of birth and the country that they were reared that they are to their father’s land why is that a major crime to other Nigerians who think that that person’s loyalties and patriotism should forever be with Nigeria? Why is that when a person with a notably Nigerian name but who was born and reared abroad chooses to represent the country of their birth they are more or less seen as sell outs or as suffering from self hatred by other Nigerians? Is the fact these people recognise Nigeria as the land of their fathers not enough?

Why the insistence that your father’s land must always be your home when in some cases you are not familiar with it?

What about an Igbo, Urbobo or Hausa person whose family have been in Lagos for years and can even speak Yoruba better than the some indigenous Yorubas? Do they not have the same right to Lagos as the next Lagosian who happens to be Yoruba? Can an Igbo, Urhobo or Ijaw man ever become the governor of Lagos? I have nieces and nephews who were born and bred in Lagos and in the eyes of some they will never ever be indigenes because their parents originated from elsewhere in Nigeria and so I ask this question on their behalf too.

Av been in Ph for a long time now and i basically know virtually all and been paying my tax for yrs. Do i av the same right to PH as the next ikweres etc who will claim that the city belongs to them? Can i (a yoruba man) ever become the govenor of Rivers? I doubt. Lagos is even trying, non indigenes are even given top-ranking positions in Govt but here i doubt.

Solution: me tink this indigene stuff should be scrapped. We are only one Nigeria in name and not in deed and in truth.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by stuffs4me(m): 1:20pm On May 29, 2010

igbos r just envious of yoruba ppl. take it or leave it, yoruba ppl still remain the most succesfull ppl in nigeria
by the way, i'm not yoruba nor am i igbo.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by igboboy1(m): 1:28pm On May 29, 2010
stuffs4me:

igbos r just envious of yoruba ppl. take it or leave it, yoruba ppl still remain the most succesfull ppl in nigeria
by the way, i'm not yoruba nor am i igbo.
hmmm , scratches head

Jealous of who? Me I am sipping palm wine and straffing everyday now tell me why would be jealous of a tiger clawed pesin?
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by igboboy1(m): 1:32pm On May 29, 2010
Demdem:

Av been in Ph for a long time now and i basically know virtually all and been paying my tax for yrs. Do i av the same right to PH as the next ikweres etc who will claim that the city belongs to them? Can i (a yoruba man) ever become the govenor of Rivers? I doubt. Lagos is even trying, non indigenes are even given top-ranking positions in Govt but here i doubt.

Solution: me tink this indigene stuff should be scrapped. We are only one Nigeria in name and not in deed and in truth.

yes a yoruba man can provided he doesn't have a tiger clawed face, Banky W qualifies grin
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by stuffs4me(m): 3:22pm On May 29, 2010
Jealous of who? Me I am sipping palm wine and straffing everyday now tell me why would be jealous of a tiger clawed pesin?
very funny
when i was an undergrad, my best friend in d uni is a yoruba guy. the guy is kinda cool. he's now in s/africa
My closest friend now is an igbo chap, we r kind of allies at the work place. Always wachin ma back n I also watch his. n I also got frnds frm other parts of the country.
U’l not really see the goodness in ppl if u dnt look beyond this ethnic thing
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by usbcable(m): 4:36pm On May 29, 2010
Sonofpeace:

the fight will always be there when people like ezeuche always sees things with an ethno-religious lens.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by usbcable(m): 4:58pm On May 29, 2010
Demdem:

[b]
the one nigerian rule is always being seen as feasible in only a cosmopolitan state like lagos. No iboman talks of wanting to become councillor talkless of governor in kaduna or kano where their presence is also considerable. Na only Lagos allthem eyes they shine upon.
About the developing Lagos talk. If the conditions were not right the diverse influx of many tribes into Lagos and their stay-put attitude would not be possible if things weren't better off than their respective villages,towns,cities and states.

As unfair as the ethnic factor is Lagos is a far better state than anyother state.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Cohomology: 5:08pm On May 29, 2010
EloSela:

@EloSela,

You've asked some excellent questions.

The answers to your questions lies at the heart of Nigeria's disunity, backwardness, underdevelopment and unending episodes of barbarian-infested governments.

Also, with infinite fools like sjeezy8 making up the bulk of the Nigerian youth, do not expect any thing to change.

Anybody who insults you in any way because of your decision to represent your birth nation instead of lawless Nigeria must be put in their place. Let the fool know that your decision is yours to make and that ignorant rants about being "patriotic to your fatherland" are just what they are - ignorant rants.

Since in your birth country you enjoy equal rights in every location within that country, something you can never get in hopeless Nigeria, your loyalties to your birth country MUST come BEFORE any nonsense loyalties to barbaric Nigeria.

Tell the fools to shove it!
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by seedord247(m): 5:24pm On May 29, 2010
If any stupid Igbo become the Gov of Lagos state, slave trade will start again and everything in lagos will be tokunbo e.g Okrika, Yaba.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by oderemo(m): 5:34pm On May 29, 2010
If any silly Igbo become the Gov of Lagos state, slave trade will start again and everything in lagos will be tokunbo e.g Okrika, Yaba.
NEVER SAY NEVER
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by AngieFan(f): 6:35pm On May 29, 2010
The country I was born and bred in takes precedence over my father's country Nigeria. That being said I have respect and acknowledge Nigeria as the land of my father.

My father's house is not my house.

God bless the child that has his own.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 29, 2010
AngieFan:

The country I was born and bred in takes precedence over my father's country Nigeria. That being said I have respect and acknowledge Nigeria as the land of my father.

+1

@Post
I see nothing wrong with it. I claim my mother's land cool

What's annoying are those denying where they came from. undecided
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by cap28: 7:17pm On May 29, 2010
AngieFan:

unfortunately for you the owners of the country that you claim to have been born and bred in do not see you as being one of them if they did you wouldnt have to struggle twice as hard to get half as much as the whites do - sad but true, therefore you can claim to be british born and bred but the harsh truth is that you remain black and alien in the white mans eyes.

God bless the child that has his own but God bless the child who is wise and doesnt shut his eyes to the truth
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by UcheUwadi(m): 7:17pm On May 29, 2010
AngieFan:

I share your sentiment as well. My mother is Black American and my father is Igbo. That being said, I have a strong attachment to my father's land though and I recognize that I am Igbo.

However, if you talk to me, I have an American accent and I was raised in the United States. I feel people who are made up of different ethnicities or races should give respect to all of their heritages.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Protests Mar Igbinedion University 8th Convocation / Igbo Christians In Jos - A Must Read / History Of Fuel Price Increase In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.