Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,287 members, 7,780,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:43 PM

I Wash My Hands Off Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Wash My Hands Off Nigeria (424 Views)

Obasanjo Denies Writing UK To Back Off Nigeria’s 2023 Election / Zamfara Gold: I Never Said FG Should Hands Off Rivers Oil - Wike / Sowore: AGF Malami Orders DSS To Hands-Off Trial, Takes Over Case-file (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wash My Hands Off Nigeria by smakati(m): 4:27pm On May 30, 2018
Yesterday I had the following conversation with my wife.
Wife: Dan, do you know today date is 29/05/2018?
Me: Yes.
Wife: When are you going to publish the ‘big announcement’ you said you were going to release today?
Me: Dunno, I have not typed it
Wife: When are you going to type it?
Me: I don’t know. I have not decided.

I am usually not this undecided. Many years ago, I could confront a dragon with a toothpick. But now I am 30 and married, I have learnt to choose my battle carefully, especially if it could potentially bring harm to me or my family.

Last week, I was finally able to obtain a copy of my father’s autobiography. My dad had written a book to detail his life as an Educationist. The title of the book is SHARING MY PURSE OF GOLD – AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY. One of the Chapters of this book is titled ‘Rewriting History’; in it I could literarily feel my dad’s pain. The pain of been regarded as an outsider in Lagos because you are not a Lagosian. My dad gave his best to educate most of the foremost sons and daughters of Nigeria but ‘the powers that be’ decided to wipe his name from the history books because he is Urhobo and Lagos belongs to Yoruba.

Unlike my dad, I was born in Lagos. I speak, read and write the Yoruba language to a professional level, I also schooled and lived all my life there (till 2014) but that still does not make me a Lagosian.

I was unable to receive Lagos state bursary while I was in College, I was told to go to my ‘state of origin’ whatever that means. The only home I have ever known is Lagos. My parents are Urhobo but the only Urhobo thing about me is my middle name and the bits and pieces I speak of the language. I have never been to Delta state and as such I don’t view Delta as home.

What will happen if I decide to run for Governor of Lagos State? Would the election be based on my plans and manifesto or would it be based on my state of Origin?

What if I said I wanted to be President? Would the focus be on my mission statement or on what part of the country I come from?

I feel like these are the kind of questions we need to start asking ourselves.

We all desire a better Nigeria. We want Nigeria to be at par with USA and UK but are we willing to put aside every form of bigotry?

We kill each other in the name of religion. Religions that are not even ours. Christianity is not an African religion. Islam is also not an African religion. Yet we kill, murder and maim each other for other people’s gods. How can my people be this stupid!

Instead of teaching our children to love each other, we plan seeds of hate in their young hearts. Then they grow up distrusting one another. So the Yoruba refers derogatory to the Hausa and Ibo, the Ibos hate the Yoruba and Hausa, the Hausa detests the Yoruba and Ibo. And everybody in between thinks their tribe is supreme. And you people want to move forward!

You criminalised same sex marriages but you see nothing wrong with adult men sleeping with underage girls. Where is Leah Sharibu? My heart bleeds.

You will not celebrate people who were dedicated in their service to the nation but you will hold church thanksgiving and welcome-back parties for people who have just returned from prison sentences abroad. Una well so?

And then the most annoying one, you refuse to use your own brain. Pastors do the thinking for you; and then you go home to suffer in poverty while they live like a love-vendor. Godfathers tell you what to do and then you go about singing ‘Asiwaju ti soro, ati gbo’. Come election time your blood is used as sacrifice, after election you go back to suffering, yet your godfather are living large.

I wash my hands off you.

I could form a political party and disrupt the political arena by allowing it to be used as a platform for independent candidates to run for any office they wish.

But are you guys worth it?

I could form a team and run for governor or president, but will you people vote for us or for the people who will give you one loaf of bread and one derica of rice?

Are you worth the hassle?

I wash my hands off you.

But can I really turn my back on my country. A country so beautiful and filled with the most vibrant people in the world. A
country replete with diverse flora and fauna.

Every time I turn to leave something keeps pulling me back.

I will pronounce your name. Nigeria.

I love my country.

I cannot wash my hands of you. Like two lovers, me and you need to find a way to make things work.

I had initially planned to start a Political Party in June, 2019. Using the political party, We were going to plunge head-on into the Nigerian Political arena but after speaking to my influencers and discussing with my family, I have changed plans.

I have decided not to join politics for the time being.

Today marks the launch of a young professional Nigerians Think Tank called ‘Conservatives of Nigeria’ co-founded by me. We are going to be partisan and provide solutions to issues instead of moaning about the problem all the time. Our aim is to help bring about desired progress through advocating social policy and political strategy.

Details later.
Re: I Wash My Hands Off Nigeria by blackfase(m): 4:39pm On May 30, 2018
Op lehf, mata. Nigeria is nothing but a zoo. Its refreshing you've finally come to d realization but who would even take anything about d damned contraption serious. Even d monsters operating it never, dont and will never believe in it. Its just a race and scramble for who gets what before its carcass is finally hauled off to d dump site.

1 Like

Re: I Wash My Hands Off Nigeria by nnaetobi(m): 4:45pm On May 30, 2018
Good dreams
Re: I Wash My Hands Off Nigeria by nnaetobi(m): 4:45pm On May 30, 2018
Good luck

(1) (Reply)

Gboyega Nasir Isiaka,gni Takes African Democratic Congress (ADC ) To Grassroots / Newspaper Headline Will Make You Happy / On OBASANJO By Wale Adeoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.