Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito (2575 Views)

Turkish Airlines Staff Dies In Istanbul Due To Nigerian Mosquito Bite (Photo) / Scientists Discover Insecticide Resistant Mosquito / Malaria-resistant Mosquito?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by my2cents(m): 11:37am On Mar 20, 2007
The End Of Malaria As We Know It?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070319/ap_on_sc/malaria_resistant_mosquito_1

"Researchers have developed a malaria-resistant mosquito, a step that might one day help block the spread of an illness that has claimed millions of lives around the world."

Read on at the address above to find out.

Abi, in true naija fashion, makers of Fansidar et al go gree? wink
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by naijacutee(f): 11:54am On Mar 20, 2007
Won't it be easier to just . . . . um, kill them all?
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by hola2ng(m): 12:16pm On Mar 20, 2007
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by my2cents(m): 3:27pm On Mar 20, 2007
Well,

I think the decision not to kill them all was based on what happened in India some years ago. Basically, DDT was used to eradicate them but shortly thereafter, it was discovered that the population of rats increased big time - it turns out the mosquitos were actually doing them a favor by keeping the number of rats down. In other words, there was an imbalance of nature. The result? Mosquitos had to be imported into India from Africa shocked shocked

At least that was the story as told to me in my "Inter" science class back in the day. It could be wrong, but it makes sense to me tongue
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by texazzpete(m): 5:37pm On Mar 20, 2007
considering the fact that malaria is the biggest killer in Africa (one million yearly, i heard) i'd have expected peeps to be excited about this news, not making snide comments.

naijacutee:

Won't it be easier to just . . . . um, kill them all?

can u explain to me just how you'd go about killing ALL female Anopheles mosquitoes in Africa?
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by babasin(m): 5:52pm On Mar 20, 2007
Basically, DDT was used to eradicate them but shortly thereafter, it was discovered that the population of rats increased big time - it turns out the mosquitos were actually doing them a favor by keeping the number of rats down.

How come same thing did not happen in USA in the 40s?

Africa should reject this GM mosquitoes, because nobody can show that these will not mutate into another dreaded diesease in africa in another 50yrs!

Rather, we should go for eradicating Mosquitoes; it need Political will but OBJ is busy fighting Atiku.
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by Tornadoz(m): 7:55pm On Mar 20, 2007
@babasin
Africa should reject this GM mosquitoes, because nobody can show that these will not mutate into another dreaded diesease in africa in another 50yrs!
Give this new science a chance, because the alternative would be to eternally develop new insecticide. In the past this has not worked, mosquitoes quickly become resistant. Lets at least see if this works. As i understand it, these GM mosquitoes are super mosquitoes. They will be the dominant specie in future, basically they will eat other mosquitoes for dinner. Yum Yum
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by zebudaya(m): 11:51pm On Mar 20, 2007
you can't eradicate mosquitoes. America and England don't really have much mosquitoes cuz of the winter and chilly temperatures, winter is the silent killer of everything that creeps on the other hand naija weather is very conducive to vermin!
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by naijacutee(f): 12:39am On Mar 21, 2007
texazzpete:

considering the fact that malaria is the biggest killer in Africa (one million yearly, i heard) i'd have expected peeps to be excited about this news, not making snide comments.

can u explain to me just how you'd go about killing ALL female Anopheles mosquitoes in Africa?

Easy. . .

BAYGON!!!

It even killed Spiderman

Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by Nobody: 4:09am On Mar 21, 2007
GFP mosquitoes! Fantastic, this may be the answer to malaria!
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by jaguda(m): 10:29am On Mar 21, 2007
will the so called malaria resistant mosquitoes bite? cos if they will still bite, then anoda kasala don blow be dat. See, these days PHCN ( God Bless NEPA) has turned nigerians to sumtin else, with the prevailing heat and lack of Power for DAYS, sleeping outside or wit windows and doors opened wide is the in-thing, who is bothered about mosquites wen all u want is a sound sleep? in short, naijerians are resistant to malariapeddling mosquitoes GBAM! grin grin grin grin
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by Seun(m): 11:59am On Mar 21, 2007
Malaria is said to kill millions of 'Africans' every year, but I don't think I know one person who died of malaria.
I know of one child who experienced brain damage because of malaria, but that's it. Is Malaria that bad?
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by akara(m): 1:26pm On Mar 21, 2007
grin

@ Seun

Aids kills but I have not heard of anyone dying from it but rather from 'Aids related illness'. I think same applies to malaria.

grin
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by uzomaeze(m): 11:21pm On Mar 21, 2007
just saw an article on the punch titled today "Scientist 'create' malaria- resistant mosquito" wednesday march 21st 2007 where it said Olyset Nets and PermaNet were developed , there is no doubt mosquito can be reduced with the aid of such measures , thank God the nets have 3 - 5 years life span
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by Carlosein(m): 2:31pm On Mar 23, 2007
hey guys b4 u start d celebration party read this:

Washington | March 19

AP - Researchers have developed a malaria-resistant mosquito, a step that might one day help block the spread of an illness that has claimed millions of lives around the world.

When they fed on malaria-infected mice, the resistant mosquitoes had a higher survival rate than nonresistant ones, meaning they could eventually replace the ones that can carry the disease, according to a report in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Jason Rasgon of the department of molecular microbiology and immunology at Johns Hopkins University cautioned that the research so far is only a proof of principle and any field tests remain far away.

Nonetheless, it's a goal eagerly sought by scientists in hope of developing a practical way of blocking the spread of malaria.
[/color][color=#990000][/color]

see d goal is still far away so we are still goin to be here wit dem a bit much longer.

fancy not hearing those mosquitoes buzzing in your ears at night anymore (i hate when dey do dat wit a passion, shivers embarassed).

jus can't wait for dem to succeed, and for u guys out there with no alternatives try [color=#990000]otapiapia
, i assure u it works.

ciao.
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Mar 23, 2007
Aids kills but I have not heard of anyone dying from it but rather from 'Aids related illness'. I think same applies to malaria.
Oh please, I've not heard of anyone dying from "malaria-related illness" either. (HIV attacks the immune system.)
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by texazzpete(m): 11:20am On Mar 24, 2007
99% of those we know who have had malaria are fit, healthy people and they recover. I don't know anybody who has died from starvation, does that mean the pics we see of shrunken people in somalia and other famine striken areas are fake?

From Wikipedia
Malaria is a vector-borne infectious disease that is widespread in tropical and subtropical regions. It causes disease in approximately 400 million people every year and is the cause of between one and three million deaths annually, mostly among young children in Sub-Saharan Africa. Malaria is not just a disease commonly associated with poverty, but is also a cause of poverty and a major hindrance to economic development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria

I know people who have died from malaria. Go ask any doctor pal of yours and hear the answer. Millions die yearly from this disease alone.

babasin:

How come same thing did not happen in USA in the 40s?

It's daft thinking like this that allowed polio to regain a foothold in Nigeria. Shebi after the Northern Governors said the polio vaccine was a jewish plot, they refused the immunizers access to the people.
Try hunting down every patch of stagnant water, every drain, every breeding ground for the mosquitoes. You'll never get even half of them.

babasin:

Rather, we should go for eradicating Mosquitoes; it need Political will but OBJ is busy fighting Atiku.

Who told you that malaria is solely a Nigerian problem? in fact, in terms of deaths we get off pretty lightly when it comes to malaria compared to much of central and east Africa. SO Obj and Atiku should stop fighting and comb all of africa, killing all mosquitoes abi?
Re: Researchers Develop Malaria-resistant Mosquito by Seun(m): 9:12am On Mar 26, 2007
in fact, in terms of deaths we get off pretty lightly when it comes to malaria compared to much of central and east Africa.
This means I have a point, which is that malaria may not be not all that NGOs say it is. wink

(1) (Reply)

Virginity Soap (picture) / What You Don't Know About Zobo Drink On Female Fertility. / Chiropractic In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.