Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Second Hand Tyre Export - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Second Hand Tyre Export (10870 Views)

Big Electric Car Jack For Big Jeeps SUV And Cars, Wheelspanner And Tyre Pump / 4 Second Hand Japanese Cars For Sale / Prices Of Second-hand Cars In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 11:39pm On May 28, 2010
I WORK IN A CAR SCRAPYARD IN UK AND I WANT TO START TYRE EXPORT TO NAIJA

I BEG MAKE UNA ADVICE ME ON THE SIZES THAT WOULD SELL AND WHAT THE WHOLESALE PRICE PER UNIT WOULD BE.

Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by keyremotes(m): 9:45am On May 29, 2010
[size=48pt]DON'T YOU DARE TRY IT!![/size]
shocked shocked shocked shocked

THERE IS A BAN ON IMPORTATION OF USED TIRES!
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by KunleA2(m): 9:51am On May 29, 2010
Or just bring thru cotonou. Bring tires for popular rides in Lagos. Camry, Accord etc

Good luck.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 10:13am On May 29, 2010
thanks @keyremotes, i really appreciate it bro
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 10:17am On May 29, 2010
cheers @Kunle-A but I am a complete novice on this line of business so i would appreciate if you cud show me how to go about this. Bless
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by GOODMAN1: 4:17pm On May 29, 2010
@ Poster,

Importation of used tyres is BANNED in Nigeria, Please look for a legitimate business like importing used parts.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by femmy2010(m): 7:35am On May 30, 2010
But importation of cars above 10yr old are BANNED but they stil come in everyday.Email duduconsultt@yahoo.com and would help clear and deliver it to your desired Location in Nigeria.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 9:01am On May 30, 2010
@femmy 2010 how exactly do you manage to get these sort of vehicles over 10 years old in? somebody in nigeria told me it was cars over 20 years old am getting confused now.

and about the tyres what if you stuck it in a panel van would the customs still detect it?

please advice
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 9:02am On May 30, 2010
@goodman1, i appreciate cheers
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Nobody: 9:21am On May 30, 2010
It's best not to smuggle these tyres in at all - the law against used tyres imported into Nigeria is there for a reason - safety. It's virtually impossible to safety-check a container load of used tyres.

It's best not to get involved in this trade. It's illegal. And it's high time Nigerians began to respect laws that are in place. It's also part of the reason Nigerians break the rules in other countries, other than Nigeria - it's the culture of feeling we can do as we please, as long as certain people are "settled".

Best of luck in your venture though.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 9:47pm On May 30, 2010
@siena i respect your point and as such am having a re-think

cheers
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by diehard1: 6:43am On May 31, 2010
Bros please don't engage in this illegal trade.You may succeed today and when you think you are making it and then invest a whole lot of money, that's when you may be caught and all your money will go down the drain. please look for something that is not banned and import. A word is enough for the wise
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Onwan: 10:01am On May 31, 2010
@Poster

Those tyres in the picture look like they are completely off; are those the exact ones you are looking at shipping OR you have better "grades" that can actually be used?
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by blacksta(m): 10:10am On May 31, 2010
Onwan:

@Poster

Those tyres in the picture look like they are completely off; are those the exact ones you are looking at shipping OR you have better "grades" that can actually be used?

The fact still remain - it is still illegal to import tyres into Nigeria -

@poster

I would rather not have blood of people on my head - can you imagine the combination of bad tyres and bad roads (disasters waiting to happen)
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Onwan: 10:23am On May 31, 2010
blacksta:

The fact still remain - it is still illegal to import tyres into Nigeria -

@poster

I would rather not have blood of people on my head - can you imagine the combination of bad tyres and bad roads (disasters waiting to happen)
@Blacksta
You are entitled to your view. I am posting a question TO the original poster - no offence

@Poster
You actually have to come to Nigeria and visit major tyre markets like in Ladipo. I think with the right grades of used tyres you can make it happen especially for big vehicles like Cranes, Tippers, Lorries. There are complains of them buying "new" ones that explode on full load at regular pressure - and they are very expensive too - about 250k - 350k per tyre. Im very particular about those.

But like I said, you need to come down and do a survey yourself, then you might meet people who will buy the lot off you and handle the shipping themselves - That way, you wont be bothered with logistics.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by KunleA2(m): 1:32pm On May 31, 2010
Onwan:

@Blacksta
You are entitled to your view. I am posting a question TO the original poster - no offence

@Poster
You actually have to come to Nigeria and visit major tyre markets like in Ladipo. I think with the right grades of used tyres you can make it happen especially for big vehicles like Cranes, Tippers, Lorries. There are complains of them buying "new" ones that explode on full load at regular pressure - and they are very expensive too - about 250k - 350k per tyre. Im very particular about those.

But like I said, you need to come down and do a survey yourself, then you might meet people who will buy the lot off you and handle the shipping themselves - That way, you wont be bothered with logistics.

Are you sure about this quote. seems a little bit high to me. What size are we talking 'bou?
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Onwan: 2:06pm On May 31, 2010
@Kunle-A
Anything from 2200mm diameter is seriously expensive here - brand new goes for that range. The slightly smaller ones are also very expensive too.

The fact is even that you will not get them here; you will have to go to Kotonou to source for a good grade.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Onwan: 2:15pm On May 31, 2010
And for average sized tyres for SUVs for instance; the last time I was at Ladipo to get tokumbo tyres with size 275x70x16 for an SUV - the cheapest price was NGN26,500 per tyre for a Grade A.

These are foreign used and not Nigerian used (which are mostly sold on the roadside and are merely washed used tyres).
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by bigfather(m): 2:56pm On May 31, 2010
hikins:

I WORK IN A CAR SCRAPYARD IN UK AND I WANT TO START TYRE EXPORT TO NAIJA

I BEG MAKE UNA ADVICE ME ON THE SIZES THAT WOULD SELL AND WHAT THE WHOLESALE PRICE PER UNIT WOULD BE.

What the Bleep ! shocked

Are those the kinda tyres you want to bring into the country ?! This ain't fairly used tyres bro.
They are simply KILLER TYRES !
LORD HAVE MERCY ! lipsrsealed
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by CHANCEMAN: 3:15pm On May 31, 2010
Used car tyres are contraband in Nigeria but i believe the importation of used tyres for large vehicles like trucks,tractors etc is allowed if i am not mistaken.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by keyremotes(m): 3:41pm On May 31, 2010
All this talk about tractor tire or truck tires, good grade or bad grade.
The truth is that they are still contraband.
Why are people encouraging this man now.
Can't we encourage him to do something else?

I TIRE FOR NIGERIANS O!!

USED TIRE IMPORTATION IS BANNED. SIMPLE.

I BEG POSTER, LOOK FOR SOMETHING MORE WORTHWHILE THAT
WON'T CAUSE YOU PAIN IN YOUR HEART.

IF ONLY WE HAD FIGURES ON HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE KILLED
DAILLY, WEEKLY AND ANNUALLY ON OUR ROAD BECAUSE OF WORN OUT OR USED TIRES.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Onwan: 3:50pm On May 31, 2010
big father:

What the bleep ! shocked

Are those the kinda tyres you want to bring into the country ?! This ain't fairly used tyres bro.
They are simply KILLER TYRES !
LORD HAVE MERCY ! lipsrsealed

He better not be bringing in any of those off ones here; we have enough of them here already. There are very good grades like those at Ladipo, bit on the high side BUT very okay. Had a set for abot 2 years now and its still pulling up strong.

But a lot of people sell Nigerian used that are taken off imported vehicles that's been left stationary for months, OR outrightly condemned ones - they wash them and use a black shine to make it look glossy. The real toks are very solid BUT a bit on the high side.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by femmy2010(m): 4:03pm On May 31, 2010
Enu kinuwun ni owo wa.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by bigfather(m): 4:23pm On May 31, 2010
Onwan:

He better not be bringing in any of those off ones here; we have enough of them here already. There are very good grades like those at Ladipo, bit on the high side BUT very okay. Had a set for abot 2 years now and its still pulling up strong.

But a lot of people sell Nigerian used that are taken off imported vehicles that's been left stationary for months, OR outrightly condemned ones - they wash them and use a black shine to make it look glossy. The real toks are very solid BUT a bit on the high side.

You are right chief. I concour, the ones am using now are 2yrs old and they are still running fine. And as for those painting and washing the condemned tyres, those kind of people should be regarded as RITUAL KILLERS !
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 31, 2010
I would imagine the tyres in the picture are not the actual ones to be shipped. At least, I hope not. They've had it, and the reason there's a ban on importing used tyres into Nigeria, is the fact it'll cost an awful lot to check them, and declare them fit for use. Let's say a container contained 700 tyres, that's just one container out of a possible 300 in a week, from different importers. So, we're talking on average 210,000 used tyre per week.

Where are the resources to inspect these tyres? Honestly, there are a lot of other means of making a living; there are lots of other non-contraband items that can be imported into Nigeria, without the need to smuggle them in through the bush, and risk getting your container, truck, or whatever other means you used to get these goods in.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Onwan: 6:17pm On May 31, 2010
@Siena
What people should understand is that Nigeria is not a country filled with dumb people; IF you bring in 700 tyres and 500 of them are not up to grade - Retailers will only select the good ones and for the rest - no one will buy

I live here, and I know of people who bring in stuff thinking they will make a kill and the next thing they end up selling off just to buy a ticket and go back.

The market is very intelligent and runs itself, thats why I know that its better for the importer to bring in good grade tyres so he can get buyers for them, IF NOT he will be in debt. I have a guy who supplied tyres that are foreign used and high grade - those tyres come with barcode like stickers on them and they are very very okay - those I can vouch for and will be very happy to recommend to anyone. Like I said, the only thing is that they are a bit on the high price side BUT are very okay - I would take them than any of those pathetic ones wrapped in rubber and labelled brand new.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 6:44pm On May 31, 2010
@ onwan plz give a private e-mail

thanks
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by KunleA2(m): 6:47pm On May 31, 2010
As far as i am concerned, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USED TIRES. AS LONG AS THERE IS USEFUL THREAD LEFT AND SAFE! [b]
With that said, i personally think that the reason for the ban on importation of tires in Nigeria is either political or to protect the budding tire industry in Nigeria (which is fine).

Likewise the way cement was banned from being imported in bags. Only in bulk. It was mainly political (paddy-paddy system  wink) to give the big guys total control of the country's cement business. (I think they are trying to reverse that cos of acute shortage of cement.)

Back to the tires, i will rather buy a good quality name brand tires instead of these Chinese-made tires of low quality. Although new, they don't always support the weight they are rated for. Hence lots of blowout and accident.

Since there is no govt regulations or consumer watchdog of any kind in Nigeria, its everyone on its own. These are tires in the name of "Brand New", yet they don't last long at all or worse still unsafe. The ply(s) are not accurate, so is the treadwear or load ratings.

In the US here, if you are around the salvage/dismantling business for a considerate length of time, you will notice that there are lots of near new tires that just installed on vehicles for few months before car was involved in accident. There is nothing wrong in buying those.

Its sold all the time here and you can save money buying them. The importer has to be aware that since they are banned, its a risk trying to bring thru Cotonou and you can lose your goods.
[/b]

Nigerian consumers are way more sophisticated. There is no way to hide a bad tire no matter how much washing or painting you put on to it. If you bring worn out tires, you will be sorry, no one will buy it.

If you have to bring it in, make it good ones and remember its still a risk. You might lose your container. Otherwise, carry go.

Lots of people can't afford new ones anyway. And as for me, i will rather buy a good brand used tire before a no-name brand new one.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by femmy2010(m): 6:54pm On May 31, 2010
Onwan,thanks for been realistic.

They banned the importation of cars beyond 10 years old from coming into our country but frankly how many people can afford these within the stipulated allowed years?

Many of these condemning the importation of the BANNED USED tires still drive around in BANNED VEHICLES i would happily get for them from Cotonou.

What i would always support is the importation of good grade tires and i would gladly always help with the clearing from Cotonou and delivered to any specified location.

Crucify me for what i have said but the fact must be said.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 31, 2010
Onwan:

@Siena
What people should understand is that Nigeria is not a country filled with dumb people; IF you bring in 700 tyres and 500 of them are not up to grade - Retailers will only select the good ones and for the rest - no one will buy

I never said Nigerians were dumb - where did I imply that?

I referring to the certification of a massive number of used tyres imported into Nigeria, and how much resources would have to go into checking a container load. I'm not referring to what the retailer would select when they were offered to him / her for sale.

The original poster asked what the wholesale price per unit would be, I'm sure he wasn't aware that used tyres are prohibited from importation into Nigeria. It's best he's aware of the risks of smuggling them into the country, and what he stands to lose if they're eventually seized, and he's out of pocket.
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by hikins: 7:10pm On May 31, 2010
@ siena appreciate ur concerns
Re: Second Hand Tyre Export by Onwan: 8:05pm On May 31, 2010
@Siena
"People" doesnt mean you. Im trying to make a point here about how intelligent the Nigerian market is; and how people actually know what they are buying AND why they are buying it.

In my personal view; most of those "ban" are basically pointless, political and senseless with wrong advisory personnel involved. Nigeria is a developing country and there has to be some slacks in the business and trade industry to help the economy grow. China refused and still refuses to put any standardization on exports till date and we all know they are one of the wealthiest nations on earth right now (IF NOT THE WEALTHIEST); Cotonou right there makes more money from shipping duties alone than some states in Nigeria make from all their revenue channels put together.

Its actually common sense - more business (Inportation/exportation), more money - The safety issue when it comes to tyres and other goods become a buyers' choice and education - IF a driver is really a driver, he/she should be able to understand the quality of the parts to be used on his/her vehicle.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Can Help You Sell Your Vehicles At Ease 0815 060 3767 / Last chance!!Used 2005 Nissan Altima For Sale In Port Harcourt @ #330,000 / EXOTIC WHITE 2011 Toks Venza For N4.3m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.