Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,886 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

We Have A Problem With Rule Of Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Have A Problem With Rule Of Law (11825 Views)

Tambuwal Blasts Obasanjo On Rule Of Law / Tinubu: APC Will End PDP's Rule Of Scavengers / Rule Of Law Effective In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

We Have A Problem With Rule Of Law by Ikengawo: 5:37pm On May 29, 2010
i think rule of law is slow to be the rule in nigeria because nigerians themselves, including you guys on this site, have a problem with rule of law
my best example. the Yar Adua situation.

Yar Adua, the president of the federal republic FELL ILL.
was sent to a hospital
and suddenly people wanted the vice president to become the president because the president was ill?

while the LAW say he has to be dead or resign properly for this to happen and due to his inability to speak he couldn't resign properly.
what happens? in a VERY commendable enforcement of the law he remains in power, and the vice president ACTS and the president, which is his duty
according to the law if something like this happens.

the result? Nigerians raise hell. suddenly nigeria is a failed state for finally learning to play by the rules they themselves have set down.

the rest of the world is commending the peaceful law based transition. in everyone other african country except maybe south africa this would have ended it a coup. in nigeria the law now

NOW, does rule of law mean everything you like in the world will happen? no
does rule of law mean you will agree with the law? no
it means the LAW RULES. period. you're personal opinion on Yar Adua didn't matter.
you're personal speculation about his health or life didn't matter, all that mattered was what was written in the law books.

the moment was a watershed that showed nigeria is coming of age and a lot of ppl didn't realize it. politics in nigeria is finally becoming civil and the military legacy and mentality this thawing.

i commend nigeria for its progress in the rule of law. more success is to come.
Re: We Have A Problem With Rule Of Law by Ikengawo: 5:41pm On May 29, 2010
another example is when people were raising hell that police were arresting nigerians for wearing shirts that said Police.
when it clearly states in the law you can't impersonate a member of the armed forces and in nigeria the police are a branch of the armed forces.

people started calling the police illiterates and brutes for doing their job.

in the rule of law its ok to disagree with the laws in place. that why you can motion to get them changed in a democracy if you really think they're bad laws, but it doesn't mean it will only be enforced on those who like the law and those who don't or that they'll change just cause you disagree with them online. my friend get out lol.

another example i remember from the yar adua saga was when people were saying the Jonathan and the military should have the right to see Yar Adua. Lol no they don't. If his caretakers request privacy he gets privacy. if medical practitioners demand privacy he gets it, none of this is illegal.
in the US you can't even see someone in the hospital unless you're family and i heard that's how it's supposed to be in nigeria to cause our laws are heavily influenced by the american example.

(1) (Reply)

El-rufai Appoints Special Assistant On Persons With Disability / Shocking Photos Of A Pig And Goat Mating In Enugu / N400m Fraud: Metuh ‘cooked Up’ Allegations To Frustrate Trial —EFCC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.