Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution (15336 Views)

Oil Marketers To Resume Fuel Importation / Transport Ministry Complies With FOI Request On $1.96 Billion Kano-Mardi Rail / Lekki Shootings: LASG Rejects Foi Request For CCTV Footage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 6:05am On Jun 05, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
Nigerian govt owns it.
But is privatised
oga when was nnpc privatised? Who and who bought its shares?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 6:07am On Jun 05, 2018
maisauki:
emotional statements aren't needed here... do support your assertion with facts
what are ur facts?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by kinibigdil: 6:11am On Jun 05, 2018
Why am I not surprised tongue
Where do I start to question the GMD and his team of lawyers from, the govt has said worst things and got away with it. 1 can't but just laff
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:01am On Jun 05, 2018
peeps4u:

Falana said Ibe Kachikwu, minister of state for petroleum resources, had directed the NNPC and DPR to supply him the information.

http://petrobarometer.thecable.ng/2018/06/04/nnpc-rejects-foi-request-says-it-is-not-a-public-institution/

If Ibe Kachikwu okay it why is Baru opposing if he has nothing to hide undecided

This guy was accused once before now this

May God wrath come upon anyone saying that Buhari is fighting corruption

1 Like

Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by deflover(m): 7:10am On Jun 05, 2018
histemple:

The letter was wrongly addressed. The ministry of Petroleum was in position to receive and respond to such requests, not the NNPC.

Wrongly addressed
So the FOI bill has where it can be addressed and where it can't
Do u guys think we ve kunu for a brain
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by Ovamboland(m): 7:13am On Jun 05, 2018
peeps4u:
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) says it cannot honour freedom of information (FOI) requests because it is not a public corporation.

Femi Falana, a senior advocate of Nigeria, had written an FOI concerning fuel importation data.

Falana said Ibe Kachikwu, minister of state for petroleum resources, had directed the NNPC and DPR to supply him the information.

“While PEF and DPR have said that they are not in a position to address the issues raised in the letter, the NNPC group managing director, Dr Baru has refused to comply with the directive of the minister.”

In a letter written on behalf of the corporation by Omale O.B. Solicitors, it said it does not fall under the purview of the freedom of information act.

“Please be informed that our client doesn’t fall under the purview of the freedom of information (FOI) Act, 2011,” the letter by the solicitors read.

“The provision of the act particularly section 31 thereof is clear and unambiguous as to the meaning of public institution.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the section provides as follows: public institution means any legislative, executive, judicial, administrative or advisory body of the government including boards, bureau, committees, or commissions of the state and any subsidiary body of those bodies including but not limited to committees, and sub-committees which are supported in whole or in part by public funds or which expends public funds and private bodies providing public services performing public function or utilizing public funds.

“Our client is neither a legislative, executive, judicial, administrative or advisory body of government of Nigeria.

“It is a body established by the law to manage the commercial interests of Nigeria in the oil and gas sector and conduct trade therein. It cannot therefore by any stretch of imagination be brought within the definition of public institution under the act.”

O.B. Omale, who signed the letter on behalf of the firm said the NNPC has received judicial endorsements on this position in several cases.

NNPC said even if it would qualify as a public institution, the information requested for is not within the purview of the act as it involves trade secrets, non-disclosure agreement and third parties.

It said the information does not serve any public interest in its opinion and thus cannot be granted.

http://petrobarometer.thecable.ng/2018/06/04/nnpc-rejects-foi-request-says-it-is-not-a-public-institution/

Very wrong statement for a coporation that fully applies federal character law in it's recruitment. Information regarding fuel imports and subsidy or under recovery as they preferred is a matter of public interest and cannot be subject of trade secret.

Because public fund's are involved, no company can plead secrecy not to talk of a wholly owned government company.

Even if the law permits nnpc to keep this information secret, a government that prides itself on transparency, anti-corruption and governance should not under any circumstances hide behind such a law and should start making moves to change such a law for nnpc and all other government/public owned companies

1 Like

Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by frankwyte: 8:26am On Jun 05, 2018
You guys don't understand what they are doing now. of course they know they are subject to FOI bill but, they will buy time to erase or conceal any incriminating evidence pending when court make a pronounced judgement on it. So, literally; it's a game plan to buy time to do an internal audit and conceal information from those who want to know.
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by DisGuy: 8:44am On Jun 05, 2018
histemple:

The letter was wrongly addressed. The ministry of Petroleum was in position to receive and respond to such requests, not the NNPC.

The initial request was made to Ibechukwu he referred them to NNPC and DPR

Some of these our so called experts are complicit...this dude is always on social media preaching openness and transparency..something as basic as this has been turned into a buck passing exercise....involving lawyers SAN who would obfuscate the populace with their jargon subsection this and paragraph that

1 Like

Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by PFRB: 9:08am On Jun 05, 2018
The NNPC did not read what they quoted see below.

"""and private bodies providing public services performing public function or utilizing public funds.""

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:20am On Jun 05, 2018
frankwyte:
You guys don't understand what they are doing now. of course they know they are subject to FOI bill but, they will buy time to erase or conceal any incriminating evidence pending when court make a pronounced judgement on it. So, literally; it's a game plan to buy time to do an internal audit and conceal information from those who want to know.
Thanks for this.
However, you can check our signature in blue just below here for our services and visit our Ikeja office or reach out to us by clicking on the WhatsApp link or call us...
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by themanderon: 11:07am On Jun 05, 2018
Buhari just dey carry people brain fry groundnut and is still forming Mr integrity. By the time this government will pack up that's when we will understand the magnitude of the heist that was carried out by them. Imagine NNPC is not a public corporation. Maybe the word "public" corporation has a different meaning to the APC government and their Zombies. So if they are not accountable to the people they carry out some statutory functions for who are they accountable to
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by poseidon12: 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
When did NNPC become a private corporation? Of course it is a public corporation. What are they hiding? Thieves.
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:44am On Jun 06, 2018
lexy2014:
oga when was nnpc privatised? Who and who bought its shares?
from the beginning. it's incorporated as a private limited liability company. govt owns 100 % of 'shares'
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 6:03am On Jun 06, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
from the beginning. it's incorporated as a private limited liability company. govt owns 100 % of 'shares'
its privatised yet govt owns 100% shares. How's that privatisation?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:06am On Jun 06, 2018
lexy2014:
it's a legal thing. if you sue nnpc you sue nnpc not federal govt. it's like you starting a business and incorporating it to limit it's liability. it's different from a public service. nnpc is supposed to be profit farming
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 8:33am On Jun 06, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
it's a legal thing. if you sue nnpc you sue nnpc not federal govt. it's like you starting a business and incorporating it to limit it's liability. it's different from a public service. nnpc is supposed to be profit farming
Jeez...u are just shooting in all directions. What u have said isn't relevant 2 what I asked u. By d way, what is "profit farming"?

MIKOLOWISKA:
Nigerian govt owns it.
But is privatised

First of all, do u even no what it means 4a company 2b privatised?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by Codes151(m): 12:44pm On Jun 06, 2018
Nnpc - scam...

This organization is worse than yahoo yahoo
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:51pm On Jun 06, 2018
lexy2014:

Jeez...u are just shooting in all directions.
sorry I don't write well
I prefer explaining with mouth or pishure
less grammar

What u have said isn't relevant 2 what I asked u. By d way, what is "profit farming"?

all this brain yet you couldn't decipher profit earning auto-correct?

First of all, do u even no what it means 4a company 2b privatised?
yes I do
it is you that doesn'
cos it has Nigeria or national in the abbreviation doesn't make it public.
it's publicly owned by our govt
but it is a private entity that with limited liability
just like you owning a company but if it gets sued it gets sued not you as an individual
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:54pm On Jun 06, 2018
lexy2014:
it means govt doesn't Pay their salaries (subvention)
it runs strictly profit and loss
privatisation is when you tell a former nationally owned company to sink or swim

doesn't mean govt can't own it

for example govt buying shares in your company
govt controlled but private entity
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

sorry I don't write well
I prefer explaining with mouth or pishure
less grammar

all this brain yet you couldn't decipher profit earning auto-correct
?
yes I do
it is you that doesn'
cos it has Nigeria or national in the abbreviation doesn't make it public.
it's publicly owned by our govt
but it is a private entity that with limited liability
just like you owning a company but if it gets sued it gets sued not you as an individual

I find it very petty and childish that u are getting personal cos there's no where in d course of my discussion with u that I talked about my brain. U used a term "profit farming" which didn't fit into d discussion. I didn't ridicule u or deride u. I gave u d benefit of d doubt by asking u 2 explain what u meant by "profit farming" only 4u 2b talking about brain. Am I d creator of auto correct? What has that got 2do with d discussion. I find it very disappointing that u had 2 say that
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 6:39pm On Jun 06, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
it means govt doesn't Pay their salaries (subvention)
it runs strictly profit and loss
privatisation is when you tell a former nationally owned company to sink or swim

doesn't mean govt can't own it

for example govt buying shares in your company
govt controlled but private entity
privatisation isnt when u tell a public corporation to sink or swim. According to my dictionary, it is a process that entail transferring or changing d ownership and control of a public corporation to private ownership and control. D key issue here is ownership & control, that's d difference between public & private corporations not all these things about salary. According 2u, NNPC shares are owned by d fed govt, 100%. That's ownership. If it has 100% ownership that means it has 100% control, governance and management. 4 NNPC 2b privatised, then its shares (which is d symbol of ownership of any company) will have 2b divested by d govt 2 private individuals or entities, partially or fully. That's what privatisation means. So NNPC hasn't been privatised. It is a public corporation that reports and is accountable 2d minister of petroleum resources who is accountable 2d president and by extension accountable 2d people of d federal republic of Nigeria
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:32am On Jun 07, 2018
lexy2014:
privatisation isnt when u tell a public corporation to sink or swim.
yes it is

According to my dictionary, it is a process that entail transferring or changing d ownership and control of a public corporation to private ownership and control.
sink or swim

D key issue here is ownership & control,
no it's not
it's about what the paper used to register with cac says

that's d difference between public & private corporations not all these things about salary.
Toh since you've decided you're right and I'm wrong why did you ask since you know every ?

According 2u, NNPC shares are owned by d fed govt, 100%. That's ownership. If it has 100% ownership that means it has 100% control, governance and management. 4 NNPC 2b privatised, then its shares (which is d symbol of ownership of any company) will have 2b divested by d govt 2 private individuals or entities,

says who
partially or fully. That's what privatisation means.
I did not say nnpc was privatised
I said its a private company
Mr man

So NNPC hasn't been privatised. It is a public corporation
it's a private company owned by govt
you only realise in court

o that reports and is accountable 2d minister of petroleum resources who is accountable 2d president and by extension accountable 2d people of d federal republic of Nigeria
good luck accounting them
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:44am On Jun 07, 2018
lexy2014:
I find it very petty and childish
welcome to social media

that u are getting personal cos there's no where in d course of my discussion with u that I talked about my brain.
yes you did
you asked a question I answered you Say you know every
tics over brain right there

U used a term "profit farming" which didn't fit into d discussion.
and you couldn't use your 'brain' to realise the reason for off point remark was auto correct

I didn't ridicule u or deride u.
yes you have
when someone volunteers to teach you and you tell him he is saying nonsense

I gave u d benefit of d doubt by asking u 2 explain what u meant by "profit farming" only 4u 2b talking about brain. Am I d creator of auto correct? What has that got 2do with d discussion.
as long as we're using smartphones it has everything to do with it

I find it very disappointing that u had 2 say that
OK
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 7:11am On Jun 07, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

yes it is

sink or swim

no it's not
it's about what the paper used to register with cac says

Toh since you've decided you're right and I'm wrong why did you ask since you know every ?

says who

I did not say nnpc was privatised
I said its a private company
Mr man
it's a private company owned by govt
you only realise in court
good luck accounting them
D "paper" used 2 register with CAC is called memorandum of association which shows u d type of business an organization is 2 engage in and its share structure. D share structure shows who and who owns d company. In ur basic economics or commerce, there are private& public corporations. NNPC falls into d later. Its operations are determined by govt&its profit are strictly 4d govt not 4 private individuals. Its just d way NEPA&NITEL were a few years ago.

U never said NNPC was privatised? Who said this?
MIKOLOWISKA:
Nigerian govt owns it.
But is privatised
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 7:21am On Jun 07, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

welcome to social media
yes you did
you asked a question I answered you Say you know every
tics over brain right there

and you couldn't use your 'brain' to realise the reason for off point remark was auto correct

yes you have
when someone volunteers to teach you and you tell him he is saying nonsense

as long as we're using smartphones it has everything to do with it
OK
d little I can deduce from d above is that, u love 2b recognized, 2b acknowledged and when u aren't, u get personal. Well these are self esteem issues. if u can show me where I used d words u say I used against u, I will b most glad.

Not every time u will b right and there's no shame in that. U will find out that sometimes what u think u no isn't valid. But getting personal and trying 2 insult a person cause he/she invalidates what u knew isn't what makes u a man. U can always verify info people share with u 2 confirm its authenticity. In d end u better 4 it.

Cheers
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:58pm On Jun 07, 2018
lexy2014:
d little I can deduce from d above is that, u love 2b recognized,
who doesn't

2b acknowledged and when u aren't, u get personal.
I only get personal when you get personal or you're spreading laziness
it must be stopped with extreme prejudice

Well these are self esteem issues. if u can show me where I used d words u say I used against u, I will b most glad.
I already did
you choose not to agree
can't force you

Not every time u will b right
everytime one has done ones research properly

and there's no shame in that.
yes there is when you have google
and refuse to use it

U will find out that sometimes what u think u no isn't valid.
of course
but there is difference in what you think you know and what you know
if I think I say it

But getting personal and trying 2 insult a person cause he/she invalidates what u knew isn't what makes u a man.
stating a fact is not an insult
you're the one with esteem issues
if you say dumb things you will be called out
names withheld is not helping our country abi you happy with the way it's going
better start telling ourselves the truth

U can always verify info people share with u 2 confirm its authenticity. In d end u better 4 it.
if only you would take this advice

Cheers
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 4:42pm On Jun 07, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

who doesn't

I only get personal when you get personal or you're spreading laziness
it must be stopped with extreme prejudice

I already did
you choose not to agree
can't force you

everytime one has done ones research properly

yes there is when you have google
and refuse to use it
of course
but there is difference in what you think you know and what you know
if I think I say it

stating a fact is not an insult
you're the one with esteem issues
if you say dumb things you will be called out
names withheld is not helping our country abi you happy with the way it's going
better start telling ourselves the truth
if only you would take this advice
like I noted earlier, these are self esteem issues cause virtually everything u have said here have no relevance with d discussion about nnpc and foi. I didn't expect u will get this emotional cause of a simple conversation. what I expected u 2do was 2 lift my quote were u say I told u u were saying nonsense.

Its good u mentioned Google cause u are d one who brought privatisation into d discussion. So what does Google tell u about privatisation, does it say its about how salaries are paid or does it talk about ownership/control?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:24pm On Jun 07, 2018
lexy2014:
like I noted earlier, these are self esteem issues cause virtually everything u have said here have no relevance with d discussion about nnpc and foi. I didn't expect u will get this emotional cause of a simple conversation.
I always get emotional when someone asks a question and refuses the answer
why then did you ask if you Sabi every

what I expected u 2do was 2 lift my quote were u say I told u u were saying nonsense.
I already pointed it out
but if you're too lazy to go back and read it then nothing I say will convince you
you've chosen to be blind or lazy
you're on your own
I'm replying not to convince you but to benefit others who want to learn

Its good u mentioned Google cause u are d one who brought privatisation into d discussion.
I never mentioned privatisation Mr man
that was you
better go and learn how to listen instead of talking

So what does Google tell u about privatisation, does it say its about how salaries are paid or does it talk about ownership/control?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 5:54pm On Jun 07, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

I always get emotional when someone asks a question and refuses the answer
why then did you ask if you Sabi every

I already pointed it out
but if you're too lazy to go back and read it then nothing I say will convince you
you've chosen to be blind or lazy
you're on your own
I'm replying not to convince you but to benefit others who want to learn

I never mentioned privatisation Mr man
that was you
better go and learn how to listen instead of talking

u have confirmed what i have been saying. Being emotional over something as trivial as an online discussion with someone u have never met is a reflection of low self esteem. Y would I get angry with u now cos u didn't accept my point of view? I always believe in superior argument not superior pettiness, so if u like call me names from now till tomorrow I will give u my facts as I c them&those facts can b verified anywhere.

Eyaa...I understand how u feel. U had worked ur socks off just 2 convince me that ur points were valid, in d end u couldn't. It doesn't call 4 getting hurt. Just man up OK. Its one of those things.

This is from u.

Nigerian govt owns it.
But is privatised

Am sure u saw my other response 2 where u said u didn't say anything about privatisation?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:45pm On Jun 07, 2018
lexy2014:
u have confirmed what i have been saying. Being emotional over something as trivial as an online discussion with someone u have never met is a reflection of low self esteem. Y would I get angry with u now cos u didn't accept my point of view?
private company's legal status is a fact not a point of view
but if you rather believe bunkum
continue

I always believe in superior argument not superior pettiness,
show me the pettiness

so if u like call me names from now till tomorrow I will give u my facts as I c them&those facts can b verified anywhere.
Wey d fact
that you don't realise difference between private company and privatisation?

Eyaa...I understand how u feel. U had worked ur socks off just 2 convince me that ur points were valid,
me
work
on Nairaland
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
no my friend
it is you that needed to check dictionary and still got it wrong
wetin concine me
you will soon learn the hard way
Shebi you get strong head

in d end u couldn't. It doesn't call 4 getting hurt. Just man up OK. Its one of those things.

This is from u.

Nigerian govt owns it.
But is privatised

Am sure u saw my other response 2 where u said u didn't say anything about privatisation?
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by histemple: 11:03pm On Jun 07, 2018
deflover:

Wrongly addressed
So the FOI bill has where it can be addressed and where it can't
Do u guys think we ve kunu for a brain

Very correct. You can't just send your request to anywhere you like.

Perhaps you may need to read the FOIA again.
Re: NNPC Rejects Falana’s FOI Request On Fuel Importation, Not A Public Institution by lexy2014: 11:39pm On Jun 07, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

private company's legal status is a fact not a point of view
but if you rather believe bunkum
continue

show me the pettiness

Wey d fact

me
work
on Nairaland
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
no my friend
it is you that needed to check dictionary and still got it wrong
wetin concine me
you will soon learn the hard way
Shebi you get strong head

d highlighted is d pettiness. U don't need all that 2 make ur point. Just counter facts with facts, alright. U will b fine don't stress urself out. I feel ur pain.

When I said u are shooting in different directions, u took offence.
MIKOLOWISKA:

U actually said u wanted 2 teach oya...Tisa, kindly explain d difference between private company & privatisation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Buhari Should Pardon Soldiers Jailed For Refusing To Fight Boko Haram –MURIC / Petrol Price Reduction Won’t Be Immediate, Says Marketers / Anti-Tinubu Comments: Machina Campaign Team Chides Lawan’s Supporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.