Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,553 members, 7,809,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Swastikas At Lekki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Swastikas At Lekki (2620 Views)

CCTV Reveals Face Of Man Behind Car Theft At Lekki Palms Mall [PHOTOS] / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Construction Of Seaport, Airport Begins At Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swastikas At Lekki by Ade2K8(m): 7:11pm On May 30, 2010
A friend just sent me this post - amazing what happens in Lagos, as usual, with our implicit consent.

On a serene street, located within the high-brow Lekki Peninsula, a swastika - the emblem of the infamous German Nazi party - is now brazenly displayed on the walls of a property in the area, and the neighbours are angry.

Bola Odunlami who lives a few blocks from this house said he is constantly traumatised and outraged whenever he drives past the symbol. His anger is shared by a large number of people in the neighbourhood.

“It’s most annoying that I’m subjected to the torture of seeing this sign on a house in Lekki, Lagos on the street I live and I hear it was put there by an Indian,” he said.

“What height of insensitivity! I have an idea what it means to a Hindi but this is Lagos and we are predominantly blacks and naturally hate that sign in view of how it relates to us and that fact must be respected. It could have a positive meaning in India but that is India.” He said, “In as much as I’m aware of its alleged positive significance in certain cultures, in the face of globalisation and political correctness, its meaning is mostly negative. We all know what it means to the Jews and to me a Black man. The white ‘supremacy’ movements relished the Swastika and brandished it in those dark days whilst they killed and raped. This lack of insensitivity can breed hatred and incite people to react in a manner that can snowball into attacks in this relatively peaceful community.”

Sheyi Abiodun, who also resides on the street, finds the sign disturbing, and believes that Mr. Khurana ought to respect public indignation and put it away from public view.

“I feel it is morally wrong for him to have that kind of sign exposed to the public,” he said. “Even if the sign means something different to him, the fact is that the swastika has a negative connotation for many people. He better put it inside his house, and away from the public.”

It is my property

The Indian who owns the building, and who gave his name as B.S Khurana, is indignant that his neighbours are complaining, and insists that it is within his rights to display a sign which he claims is not the Nazi version.

“We are very peaceful here; there is a school, and a dog is there, in the next compound, there are six dogs; and when they start barking, I don’t sleep,” he said. “And now, I put a sign in front of my own compound and they are complaining. What about the tankers that makes noise early in the morning?”

He said, “There is something like human rights. This is my compound; my house; and my gate, and I have the right to put anything I want on my gate. The sign is not a Muslim or Christian sign; neither have I put a monster there.

The swastika sign is just like saying ‘good luck’ just like you say ‘Insha Allah’ or ‘God willing.’ This is not the swastika that was used by the German Nazi during the Second World War. I have lived in this country for 40 years, and have not had any trouble from anybody. It is my right,” added Mr. Khurana.

The position of the law

Eme Ochee, a lawyer, agrees that Mr. Khurana is within his rights to display symbols that hold cultural or religious connotations, but cautions that there is a need to weigh public interest against personal convictions.

“He has the right to display whatever symbols he wants in his own property, but then where your right ends; another person’s begins,” he said. “Agreed that the swastika in question is not the Nazi symbol, the fact is that the over-riding emotion that people get on seeing any swastika is that of revulsion. Therefore the neighbours are right to feel traumatized by daily seeing what they see as an offensive symbol.”

The communal spirit

A sociologist, Uwadiegwu Otisi, believes that Mr. Khurana’s neighbours are justified in their indignation; and cautions that citizens should be wary of actions that spark off public unrest.

“Human beings are communal animals; therefore, efforts should always be made to continually avoid upsetting the balance,” he said. “The man certainly has the right to do whatever he wants with his private property, but if neighbours are complaining, he should be reasonable. After all, consenting adults have the right to have sex; but do they have to offend the public by doing it in public view? My advice for the said Indian is that, for the interest of peace and neighbourliness, the symbol should be relocated to inside his compound.”

And that, it seems, is all that the neighbourhood is asking. “The debate on whether it is within his rights to put up the sign may be to the man’s advantage when we look into our laws but it’s a moral issue,” said Mr. Odunlami.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5521189-147/story.csp
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by edoyad(m): 7:26pm On May 30, 2010
I doubt if the sign the man put up is a german swaztika cos only whites usually use that stuff to provoke other races. Last time i checked Indians too were victims of white supremacists.

1 Like

Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 30, 2010
It's also an original HINDI symbol.

To paraphrase ,

"Second in importance only to the Om, the Swastika, a symbol which look like the Nazi emblem, holds a great religious significance for the Hindus. Swastika is not a syllable or a letter, but a pictorial character in the shape of a cross with branches bent at right angles and facing in a clockwise direction. A must for all religious celebrations and festivals, Swastika symbolizes the eternal nature of the Brahman, for it points in all directions, thus representing the omnipresence of the Absolute.

The term 'Swastika' is believed to be a fusion of the two Sanskrit words 'Su' (good) and 'Asati' (to exist), which when combined means 'May Good Prevail'. Historians say Swastika could have represented a real structure and that in ancient times forts were built for defense reasons in a shape closely resembling the Swastika. For its protective power this shape began to be sanctified. "
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Ade2K8(m): 8:11pm On May 30, 2010
But don't you see - regardless of the signs original intent or origins, today, people associate it with hatred, racism and murder. While the Jews were the primary target of the Nazis, does anyone think the Nazis may have been in love with blacks? The fact is that displaying this in a black country truly shows what this man intends to convey - that he holds blacks in contempt (as indeed, I suspect most Indians do).
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 8:48pm On May 30, 2010
he has the right to display it [since he's not in germany].

others also have the right to deface it.

1 Like

Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 30, 2010
I support the Indian! It is absolutely within his rights to display whatever sign(s) or symbol(s) he likes on his personal property - as long as such action does not contravene any law (although some clever by half lawyers may claim 'incitement of the public'). Aside that, he should not be bullied into capitulating to the wishes of a raucous majority. Do they have to look at the man's gate for gawd's sake? There are few things that piss me off more than tyranny of the majority.

1 Like

Re: Swastikas At Lekki by ziga: 1:29am On May 31, 2010
The swastika is also a hindu symbol.

I'm sure the indian's intention is different from what people have interpreted. . . Gap in communication. So, you guys should try and tolerate his religion just like he tolerates all the churches and mosques that try to push their beliefs into his face without consideration.

I found a link with some info on it.

http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

1 Like

Re: Swastikas At Lekki by naijamini(m): 2:38am On May 31, 2010
tpia.:

Exactly, tpia. Remove it a couple of times, just be sure not to get shot - he will get the point!

Not the German version my foot - why doesn't he just go ahead and name his son Hitler, and tell us he is not German. Even Adolf Hitler's mustache is almost an abomination now, although he simply wore a style that was common during the period it became one of the symbols associated with him. The mustache is seen today mostly on Hitler-wannabes like Mugabe. The same goes for the German salute.
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Ikengawo: 7:26am On May 31, 2010
the 'swastika' is originally a hindi sign of peace and unity. indians have been using the sign for 6000 plus years and the nazis borrowed it from them cause they believed the 'aryan' race came from india

1 Like

Re: Swastikas At Lekki by otokx(m): 7:57am On May 31, 2010
When it comes to talk; Nigerians are at the forefront but in terms of action - SORRY. The guy has every right to do as he pleases and he should carry on.

1 Like

Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 4:54pm On May 31, 2010
pro01:

I support the Indian! It is absolutely within his rights to display whatever sign(s) or symbol(s) he likes on his personal property - as long as such action does not contravene any law (although some clever by half lawyers may claim 'incitement of the public'). Aside that, he should not be bullied into capitulating to the wishes of a raucous majority. Do they have to look at the man's gate for gawd's sake? There are few things that piss me off more than tyranny of the majority.

Wow! Some people just try [/b]their darndest to [b]sound smart at all cost! Never thought I'd see the day! Blacks loving the Swastika as long as its "given" another name! Lol. So I can stick my middle finger in ur face and tell u its a term of endearment where I'm from?!!?lol. hahahahaha. Wow! "clever by half lawyer" indeed!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Ade2K8(m): 6:14pm On May 31, 2010
Thank you bk/babe97!! The logic of some people is simply astonishing. Regardless of what it used to mean 1 billion years ago or whenever, today it means something completely different and heinous. And for this man to display this in our midst with some of us actually supporting him is just jaw-dropping!!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 31, 2010
bs - the uk and us are full of indians - none of them would dare pull a stunt like that over there - but this is nigeria, where we are so stupid that we allow indian technical school graduates to supervise experienced engineers . . .so should we really be surprised?
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 31, 2010
bk/babe97:

Wow! Some people just try [/b]their darndest to [b]sound smart at all cost! Never thought I'd see the day! Blacks loving the Swastika as long as its "given" another name! Lol. So I can stick my middle finger in your face and tell u its a term of endearment where I'm from?!!?lol. hahahahaha. Wow! "clever by half lawyer" indeed!

Well, it does not bother me one bit if some people feel threatened by, or indeed allergic to good sense. That is their malady, not mine.

Regarding the issue at hand, I shamelessly reiterate that the Indian is within his absolute rights to display whatever emblems he deems fit on his private property. I would humbly eat my words if anyone shows me any law in Nigeria that forbids him from doing so. From the angle of “morality’ and ‘sensitivities’ which some people seem to be looking at the matter, I say: make I hear word jare! There are much greater nuisances that offend our sensibilities in this blighted country more than a bloody swastika. The politicians, crooked businessmen, and their beneficiaries who flaunt ill-gotten wealth - palaces and exotic cars, wasteful parties, and so on - to 'oppress' the impoverished and hapless masses offend the sensibilities more than a swastika does! The Yoruba people that habitually block streets and public roads to host lousy parties – thereby disregarding the convenience and right of way of other road-users offend the sensibilities more than a swastika ever will!! The Pentecostal churches mushrooming all over the place are MUCH greater nuisances if you ask me; the so called “camps” of Redeemed Church, Mountain of Fire and the rest that ‘bless’ the Lagos-Ibadan expressway with worse-than-hell traffic gridlocks constitute a GREATER NUISANCE to a lot of us than a million gawd-forsaken swastikas!!! Nigerians like to misplace priorities and act more Catholic than the pope. Truth be told, the Swastika offends the sensibilities of the JEWS to be very specific because THEY were at the receiving end of the worst of the atrocities of Hitler and his Nazi cohorts. I don’t know why Africans (much less Nigerians) should make needless song and dance out of it. It’s just like the Chinese crying themselves hoarse about the transatlantic slave trade! If anyone says that it is because the swastika represent(ed) white supremacy, then how can an Indian man be said to propagate such? Or since when did Indians turn Caucasoid? Indeed, why not resent wearing silly suits which represent nothing more than cultural imperialism? This whole thing is preposterous abeg; we have much more serious things to worry about as a people and as a continent.

Since we are compulsive ‘follow follow’ people, let us at least strive to ‘follow’ oyinbos’ development paradigms, not their sentimental resentments attachments.
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by TheNess(f): 10:36pm On May 31, 2010
tpia.:

True, that.
bk/babe97:

Wow! Some people just try [/b]their darndest to [b]sound smart at all cost! Never thought I'd see the day! Blacks loving the Swastika as long as its "given" another name! Lol. So I can stick my middle finger in your face and tell u its a term of endearment where I'm from?!!?lol. hahahahaha. Wow! "clever by half lawyer" indeed!
LOL!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by superboi(m): 10:59pm On May 31, 2010
When you display any thing that can be seen from outside your property at ease(such as on the exterior part of your fence)then your are projecting an image outside your domain so it no longer on your property. Another way to look at it is that your cant put a symbol on your neighbour side of the fence, because that is his domain.the road facing part of the fence is not your property but public domain.
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 11:06pm On May 31, 2010
pro01:

Well, it does not bother me one bit if some people feel threatened by, or indeed allergic to good sense. That is their malady, not mine.

Regarding the issue at hand, I shamelessly reiterate that the Indian is within his absolute rights to display whatever emblems he deems fit on his private property. I would humbly eat my words if anyone shows me any law in Nigeria that forbids him from doing so. From the angle of “morality’ and ‘sensitivities’ which some people seem to be looking at the matter, I say: make I hear word jare! There are much greater nuisances that offend our sensibilities in this blighted country more than a bloody swastika. The politicians, crooked businessmen, and their beneficiaries who flaunt ill-gotten wealth - palaces and exotic cars, wasteful parties, and so on - to 'oppress' the impoverished and hapless masses offend the sensibilities more than a swastika does! The Yoruba people that habitually block streets and public roads to host lousy parties – thereby disregarding the convenience and right of way of other road-users offend the sensibilities more than a swastika ever will!! The Pentecostal churches mushrooming all over the place are MUCH greater nuisances if you ask me; the so called “camps” of Redeemed Church, Mountain of Fire and the rest that ‘bless’ the Lagos-Ibadan expressway with worse-than-hell traffic gridlocks constitute a GREATER NUISANCE to a lot of us than a million gawd-forsaken swastikas!!! Nigerians like to misplace priorities and act more Catholic than the pope. Truth be told, the Swastika offends the sensibilities of the JEWS to be very specific because THEY were at the receiving end of the worst of the atrocities of Hitler and his Nazi cohorts. I don’t know why Africans (much less Nigerians) should make needless song and dance out of it. It’s just like the Chinese crying themselves hoarse about the transatlantic slave trade! If anyone says that it is because the swastika represent(ed) white supremacy, then how can an Indian man be said to propagate such? Or since when did Indians turn Caucasoid? Indeed, why not resent wearing silly suits which represent nothing more than cultural imperialism? This whole thing is preposterous abeg; we have much more serious things to worry about as a people and as a continent.

Since we are compulsive ‘follow follow’ people, let us at least strive to ‘follow’ oyinbos’ development paradigms, not their sentimental resentments attachments.

Again, another pathetic attempt to sound smart!!!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 01, 2010
bk/babe97:

Again, another pathetic attempt to sound smart!!!

Androgynous transsexual creature; it must be hard to live with oneself. Such a freak of nature can't even recognize "smart'" to save his/her/its own life.
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 1:10am On Jun 01, 2010
pro1

you obviously know very little about what's being discussed here.

i think you should start by looking up the meaning of aryan, then check the US govt classification of what constitutes caucasoid, and finally, just quit the thread and go argue somewhere else.

there's almost no point in taking you up on the innumerable ramblings in your posts.

and for pity's sake plz dont call yourself nigerian. Like we dont have a bad enough image as it is?
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 01, 2010
^^
You "obviously" have no point to make, otherwise you'd go ahead and make it rather than look for who to splash mud on. Wetin concern me & you? So I now need the US constitution to tell me the meaning of Caucasian? Maybe I also have to "check" the Congolese constitution to know what negro(id) means! In other words Indians can also be white supremacists? Keep to your ignorant self abeg, don't bring your filth my way.
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 8:50am On Jun 01, 2010
tpia.:

pro1

i think you should start by looking up the meaning of aryan, then check the US govt classification of what constitutes caucasoid, and finally, just quit the thread and go argue somewhere else.

and for pity's sake plz dont call yourself nigerian. Like we dont have a bad enough image as it is?

Hahahahahaha. I actually laughed out loud at the bolded and woke my girlfriend up. Now she's complaining about how she cant go back to sleep. Thanx for nothing Tpia! angry
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 8:55am On Jun 01, 2010
pro01:

Androgynous transsexual creature; it must be hard to live with oneself. Such a freak of nature can't even recognize "smart'" to save his/her/its own life.

Now, what do we have here? Yup, when all else fails in an argument, just go the "Ibo route": Use the biggest words u can find and remember to make as much se.xual references as possible, especially if ur opponent is a male just like urself! Homo!

P.S: Smarty pants, u were supposed to write : ". . . it must be hard to live with urself" not "onself"!!! You got it wrong, and dont try coming back from "that"! lol. Nazi lover!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 9:02am On Jun 01, 2010
pro01:

^^
You "obviously" have no point to make, otherwise you'd go ahead and make it rather than look for who to splash mud on. Wetin concern me & you? So I now need the US constitution to tell me the meaning of Caucasian? Maybe I also have to "check" the Congolese constitution to know what negro(id) means! In other words Indians can also be white supremacists? Keep to your ignorant self abeg, don't bring your filth my way.

Hey, African Goebbels, if I can read properly, what I saw was tpia asking you to check the "U.S Govt CLASSIFICATION"  and not the U.S "Constitution"!!! U know in your quest to be known as cyber laurete numero uno, it'd do u a lotta good to calm down, read, comprehend, and digest what your opponent wrote/said instead of retorting with wrong inferences. You do that, then u end up sounding stupider than ever . . . . just sayin'!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by eledesi: 10:13am On Jun 01, 2010
can pro1 or whatever it is called,yes i said it cause i dont think its a human being just shut it pleasssse.
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Nobody: 10:51am On Jun 01, 2010
bk/babe97:

Hahahahahaha. I actually laughed out loud at the bolded and woke my girlfriend up. Now she's complaining about how she cant go back to sleep.
I wish you and your 'girlfriend' the best of luck. He must be quite handsome.

Anyways I shouldn't be exchanging words with transsexual and blood-thirsty gay vampires. The thread has been derailed enough. Count me out.
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by Ikengawo: 3:30pm On Jun 01, 2010
[size=15pt]
the 'swastika' is originally a hindi sign of peace and unity. indians have been using the sign for 6000 plus years and the nazis borrowed it from them cause they believed the 'aryan' race came from india
[/size]
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2010
pro01:

Anyways I shouldn't be exchanging words with transsexual and blood-thirsty gay vampires. The thread has been derailed enough. Count me out.

The wannabe civilized Professor suddenly turned into a barbaric buffoon!!!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 4:28pm On Jun 01, 2010
Ikengawo:

[size=15pt]

[/size]

BK/BABE97=topic=454287.msg6130711#msg6130711 date=1275402617:

[size=15pt]
The "White Hood" adopted by the White Supremacist Racist group, The Ku Klux Klan, was originally a Zambian sign of peace and unity. Zambians have been using it for 1 trillion years and the Supremacist borrowed it from them because they believed the 'Aryan' race originally began in the hills of Zambia

[/size]

I dare a whiteman to rock the "hood" in the middle of Bed-Stuy!!!

P.S: I made the "hood originated in Zambia" thing up. I did it just to show that what is bad is bad regardless of its ancient history; ITS THE PRESENT THAT MATTERS!!!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by chiogo(f): 4:43pm On Jun 01, 2010
pro01:

LMFAO!! *Death*
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by bkbabe97: 4:58pm On Jun 01, 2010
chiogo:

LMFAO!! *Death*

Of course u'd laugh even tho it wasnt funny! lol! Notice ure the only one that "laughed" and found it even "half-way" funny! More sensible people advised your boyfriend to take a hike; and he heeded! That trashing I handed YOU still hurts, huh? Dont worry, with time. . .

Death indeed! The only thing thats "death" around here is the size of those acne on your crater filled face. Now, the sight of u: THATS DEATH RIGHT THERE!
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by chiogo(f): 6:20pm On Jun 01, 2010
*Death* x 2
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Swastikas At Lekki by agathamari(f): 7:19am On Jun 02, 2010
swastikas have been found worldwide for over 10,000 years including sumeria 3000 B.C., ancient greece, vedic dharma, mayans, ancient india, ancient china, nordic tribes, native americans, egyptians, aztec, persia, inca, romans, chinese, japanese, ancient troy and celts, orthodox christians, carlsberg lager, coca-cola, and the boy scouts, with the oldest know swastika from the upper paleolithic period (late stone age). the friday mosque in sfahan, iran has lots of beautiful mosaic symbols in various places and many of them have beautiful and colourful images of Swastika designed. synagogue at Tel Hum, Capernaum, Swastika is found on the breeze side by side with the Star of David. It has been used to represent good luck, celestrial objects like the sun/comets, wheel of life, roman god jupiter, greek god apollo, christian symbol for christ, peace, fertility/regeneration and can be seen adorned in ceremonies of birth, marriage and festivals. Another example of the use of Swastika by the people of Jewish origin can be found in the USA; in 1916 the Portland Oregonian Newspaper ran an advertisement for Pacific Coast Biscuits, a Jewish firm that made Matzos. A large Swastika dominates the advertisement, which claims, “The Trademark Stands for Supreme Quality”

now being the man is indian remember the swastika is an ancient symbol of Vedic Aryans Of Aryavarta. It is a symbol which stands for truth, compassion, tolerance and happiness. Swastika is the oldest religious symbol known to the human race and is widely recognised in various cultures all across the world.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2011 Budget Not Good For Development – Okonjo-Iweala / Open Letter To Seun / ONLINE POLLING BOOT FOR OSUN GUBER ELECTION

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.