Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Luck Had Nothing To Do With MY 2017 Brunel Prize - Romeo Oriogun - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Luck Had Nothing To Do With MY 2017 Brunel Prize - Romeo Oriogun (660 Views)

Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos / Romeo Patapan: A Short Story By Simon / 2017-2018 Chatbox (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Luck Had Nothing To Do With MY 2017 Brunel Prize - Romeo Oriogun by SynCityNg: 8:41am On Jun 06, 2018
When young poet Romeo Oriogun began his writing career, it was mainly to express himself how he wanted it but that would prove a difficult journey as many people who read his work found his themes too dangerous for society standards.

In his words, "I had someone who wanted to censor my voice and wished I wrote about 'safer' themes. While it may have come out of place of concern, it affected me and made me doubt so many things about myself and my poetry."

Refusing to pay heed to society conform to the norm, Romeo would go ahead to write an LGBTQ-themed poem which went on to win the 2017 Brunel Prize for poetry.

"Is being vocal stupid? Audre Lourde said “your silence won’t save you” and if people chose to be vocal about their struggles it’s their lives, let them fight the way they know how and trust me, we know what we are getting into..."

Continue reading at https:///2Jdvan6

(1) (Reply)

Meet Honorable Udeze Nkwuka Peter / HOME ALONE (naija Version) / How Many Of These Books Did You Read While In School???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.