Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,431 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? (4174 Views)

Born In UK But Living In Nigeria / Over Three Million Nigerians In US, Canada – Carrington / I Want To Travel To Uk But I Don't Know About Travellin Stuff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 10:02am On Mar 21, 2007
Over 1 million Nigerians live in the UK.
But what contributions are they making in the nation building of a New Nigeria in the leadership of Africa among the comity of nations?

Are they useful to Nigeria?
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by picus(m): 10:15am On Mar 21, 2007
Of the over a million nigerian in UK, how many are really doing well,most of them their living condition is an eyesore,some dont even have where to stay,in some apartment you get as much as 5-6 people sharing a room.You have to be in Europe or America to see what some of our guys go through to make ends meet.
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by Digiman(m): 12:07am On Mar 22, 2007
Have you wondered how much they have contributed to the coun
Orikinla:

Over 1 million Nigerians live in the UK.
But what contributions are they making in the nation building of a New Nigeria in the leadership of Africa among the comity of nations?

try's economy ?

1. If they were in Naija they would be competing for the few jobs available
2. They send or bring money home, surely that must have some positive impact on the ecomony
if they build houses or start busniesses they create employment in the process
3. They send / give relatives at home money, this may not have a massive impact but will still alleviate their
suffering to some extent - what support does the Nigerian government give to its citizens ?

As far as building the nation is concerned there must first be a revolution, get rid of the Military men who think ruling Nigeria is their birth right, purge the nation of the vermin that inhabit every fabric of its society.

Only then can you think of rebuilding the nation.

1 Like

Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 7:58pm On Mar 22, 2007
ORikinla you can disown them cheesy
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by uzomaeze(m): 9:25pm On Mar 22, 2007
the good thing is they are trying for people here please give them a break its not easy there u know i have folks there that will pray for you not to come becos u know why the country hard cry
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by hola2ng(m): 11:46am On Mar 23, 2007
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by babasin(m): 5:04pm On Mar 31, 2007

Why you they be useful to Naija?

Did naija send them there?
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by osegwu(m): 5:09pm On Mar 31, 2007
Over 150 millionNigerians in Nigeria,

Are they useful to Nigeria? Or just plundering her wealth?
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 8:38am On Apr 03, 2007
LoverBwoy:

ORikinla you can disown them cheesy

My own people are in the UK and the US.
The ones in the UK should be deported.

I want all illegal Nigerian immigrants in the UK and the US deported!
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by dblock(m): 10:53am On Apr 03, 2007
Why you they be useful to Naija?

Did naija send them there?

If they can maintain that they weren't educated in Nigeria, or bask in it's resources then I will shutup and lick their feet, but if they can't say that, then they are a liabilty to Nigeria.

Yes I said it Nigerians abroad are Liabilities, that includes me.
Although my case is different for I left the country cos my dad lost his job there and got a new one outside so I literally had no choice but to leave.
Nigerians top students, Nigeria's top doctors, top entrepeneurs are abroad. Yes they may not have had a choice, but with so many of them leaving, it makes the country worse. There are a thousand qualified Nigerian doctors in Ghana, you can times that by ten to get the figure for UK ans the US. What we are having is less peopel contributing effectively to the economy and more people unemployed.

They are useful to Naija, but not all of them.
>
>
>
>
Professor Imkargo that left with a Phd in Physiolgy is useful to Nigeria
Mrs Aparaka, with a Degree in Business is useful to Nigeria
James Unoji who left for Jand, by pleading with relatives to sel land for the fee is useless to the country
Peter Ibrahim that left the country with money aquired from 410 scams is a gorrila that is certainly usless to Nigeria

So yes, we have to ask ourselves our motives and our place on earth. We have to ask ourselves where we came from and what our purpose is on earth, To survive effciently?, to help ones cause and people?
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by londoner: 11:24am On Apr 03, 2007
If educated people are leaving in droves its a reflection on Nigeria, sorry but its the hard truth.

People stay where they feel wanted and are looked after. Nigeria has to treasure its talented children or will continue to loose them to its neighbours.

Shell, how useful are they to the Nigerian people I wonder, lol They should be deported.

Dblock, pardon me for saying this, but if after losing his job, your father had been able to find one better than the one he left Nigeria for, wouldn't he have stayed? In other countries losing a job does not necessitate moving to a whole different country, its the case for many Nigerians because jobs are not being created, we havent yet grasped the concept of investing in our talent fully, although I think Nigeria is finally turning an important corner.

Another thing, the amount of Nigerians in the UK who are responsible for people living back home on a permanent basis underpins the fact that the average Nigerian is not yet in a position where they can contribute to his country, even though he is in Nigeria. Nigerians in the UK contribute to Nigeria by filling  a position that government should be handling, without people abroad being such a crutch to many, the Nigerian governments neglect of its people would be even more apparent.
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by dblock(m): 8:16am On Apr 05, 2007
In other countries losing a job does not necessitate moving to a whole different country,
My dad chose to lose his job though undecided
it was a good job, so lets not make this about insulting Nigeria again.
His position is advetised on every continent, so if there is a position for him he is alerted wink
That's why he moved countries, he's worked in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Egypt, Morocco, US, New Zealand, Cook Islands, so do you get the point. Not every situation means that Nigeria is bad.

Pardon me for saying this wink
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 05, 2007
Orikinla:

My own people are in the UK and the US.
The ones in the UK should be deported.

I want all illegal Nigerian immigrants in the UK and the US deported!

ha ha ha.
I've seen some nigerians here and I wonder who gave them visa?
Honestly we have so many dirty laundry out here that are better left hidden in Nigeria.
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 06, 2007
Is Nigeria usefull to them?
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by dblock(m): 10:21am On Apr 07, 2007
Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. Nigeria is just a geographical founding. Tis the people that make the judgement, Tis Nigerians young and old that make the decisions. If Nigerians won't correct the proble who will? The rivers an d the Land? I think not
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by londoner: 4:57pm On Apr 09, 2007
Dblock, well if he didn't lose his job, he left it, that is a difrferent issue, you made it sound as if he lost his job and had to move to another country to be reemployed.

I know Nigeria is not a bad country, but it seems to be oppressive environment to many ordinary Nigerians.

The lack of investing in our talents is causing us to lose them to other countries, if it was more attractive to stay, people would stay, many do it out of frustration, it is the sad truth, one which can be turned around, but the truth no less.

I'm the last person to insult Nigeria, but there are certain cultural norms which need to be addressed for the good of Nigeria,
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by dblock(m): 11:05pm On Apr 09, 2007
No, He did lose his job, it's just that he had a choice. They asked him not to go for an holiday, but My stepmum said he had to go, they gave him a final warning and boom he was fired. It's as if he wanted to be fired. I would still be in Jos right now, it's such a beautiful place wink
Re: Over 1 Million Nigerians Live In The Uk, But Are They Useful To Nigeria? by bol(m): 7:50pm On Apr 21, 2007
Nigerians in the UK are useful perhaps you are judging from your experience from your unhelpful kinsmen in UK

(1) (Reply)

Belgium!! / Don't Go To Denmark! / Hotel Reservation Without Payment Until On Arrival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.