Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? (14468 Views)

Tree Seedling For Sell At Affordable Price "Gmelina And Teak" / Buy Your Dwarf Seedling Orange,lemon,mango,cashew, Pawpaw,ogbono,palm,bittercola / Rubber Tree Seedling Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
The trend in progressive agric nations in fruit-tree planting is to plant only grafted seedlings, a practice that started since 1600 years ago. I am deeply worried that most people don't see the need to plant grafted seedlings either out of ignorance p,superstition, or laziness. Could it be lack of resources or unavailability of choiced seedlings?

I have encountered CROP SCIENCE lecturers who know every term about grafting but cant graft nor teach their students the practice of grafting plants. I once looked stupid before some undergrads when I suggested learning grafting for self-employment. Why is our agric practice this backward. What is wrong with "US"?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by sexy74(m): 4:40pm On Jun 07, 2018
happybrother:
The trend in progressive agric nations in fruit-tree planting is to plant only grafted seedlings, a practice that started since 1600 years ago. I am deeply worried that most people don't see the need to plant grafted seedlings either out of ignorance ,superstition, or laziness. Could it be lack of resources or unavailability of choiced seedlings? I have encountered CROP SCIENCE lecturers who know every term about grafting but cant graft nor teach their students the practice of grafting plants. I once looked stupid before some undergrads when I suggested learning grafting for self-employment. Why is our agric practice this backward. What is wrong with "US"?
When writing things look kenthis, you first explain what is seed grafting so people that don’t know like me angry will know them appreciate what you are talking about.

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Hallams(m): 5:11pm On Jun 07, 2018
Bro like the nairalander above me said, you have to differentiate the two means of planting and tell us what advantages planting grafted seedlings has over planting seeds.

27 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 07, 2018
sexy74:

When writing things look kenthis, you first explain what is seed grafting so people that don’t know like me angry will know them appreciate what you are talking about.

Ok, I skipped the intros because it has been treated in numerous posts by me and others here hn Agric section.0k let me explain: plant grafting is the practice of joining two or more plant parts to form one plant that bears a desired fruit. It involves a rootstock(the one with the root part) and a scion ( the part that will be on top) .

In clear terms it is the plant version of plastic surgery to improve value,look and make the canopy (tree height and spread) dwarf. By this practice an unplearant tree's taste,look,height and shelf life could be 'bettered'. Most importantly, a three that seven years+ to fruit could fruit in three years.we have two types of grafting as it relates to location: in-situ (grafting an already planted seedling )and ex-situ(grafting the seedlings in the polybags) .

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 07, 2018
A wide range of plants can be grafted except herbacious plants like plantain and pinapple which could be tissue cultured.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by sexy74(m): 11:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
happybrother:
Ok, I skipped the intros because it has been treated in numerous posts by me and others here hn Agric section.0k let me explain: plant grafting is the practice of joining two or more plant parts to form one plant that bears a desired fruit. It involves a rootstock(the one with the root part) and a scion ( the part that will be on top) . In clear terms it is the plant version of plastic surgery to improve value,look and make the canopy (tree height and spread) dwarf. By this practice an unplearant tree's taste,look,height and shelf life could be 'bettered'. Most importantly, a three that seven years+ to fruit could fruit in three years.we have two types of grafting as it relates to location: in-situ (grafting an already planted seedling )and ex-situ(grafting the seedlings in the polybags) .
Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by oriaburefarms: 11:49pm On Jun 07, 2018
Like this one from our nursery

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Ademat7(m): 3:25am On Jun 08, 2018
Op you r not wrong about d money spinning side of the biz but #BBN will not let our youth rest

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Pavore9: 6:12am On Jun 08, 2018
Grafted seedlings is the way to go-shorter time, higher yield

For example, why should one wait for about 5 years to get his first harvest of avocado when it is possible within 2years.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 08, 2018
nice 1 op
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:35am On Jun 08, 2018
This still needs more AWARENESS IN THE COUNTRY , I can relate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by prestigious12: 7:35am On Jun 08, 2018
This is interesting, drop the links of former discussed topics let me read them up

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Ibime(m): 7:37am On Jun 08, 2018
My grandmother grafted so many trees in her garden. There was one we used to call Tangelo which was orange and tangerine I believe. There was another very juicy apple tree she had which was neither the Nigerian nor European apple. Unfortunately, we lost a lot of this knowledge, what we have now is people who read books and can't put into practice.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Chazzyboy: 7:37am On Jun 08, 2018
We need more process
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by israelmao(m): 7:39am On Jun 08, 2018
Nigerian education curriculum is in urgent need of restructuring for more practical based learning.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Rebuke: 7:40am On Jun 08, 2018
oriaburefarms:
Like this one from our nursery

Oga, is dis an apple tree or something? Abeg me like apple o.

I don't mind planting some here if itz possible.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by monalicious(f): 7:41am On Jun 08, 2018
Pavore9:

For example, why should one wait for about 5 years to get his first harvest of avocado when it is possible within 2years.
Does it have any side effects? For example, we know most scientifically-engineered things have a way of causing cancer on d long run. Does this have any chemicals or whatever involved, that can pose a problem in d future for consumers

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Pavore9: 7:46am On Jun 08, 2018
monalicious:

Does it have any side effects? For example, we know most scientifically-engineered things have a way of causing cancer on d long run. Does this have any chemicals or whatever involved, that can pose a problem in d future for consumers

Fruits you see imported into Nigeria are from grafted plants, Kenya exports thousands of container load of Avocado to Europe and other regions, it is from grafted plants and if Europe with its stringent standards have it passed then we are good to go.

Grafting is not new, it has always been with us over the centuries.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Rebuke: 7:47am On Jun 08, 2018
Pavore9:

Someone brought me a pineapple sometime ago and bcus the pineapple was vry sweet I decided to plant the "head" in a very small space behind the house, this is getting close to two years now but d the stuff hasn't brought forth any fruit.

Itz really getting me pissed already, sometimes I feel like jxt pulling it off.

What could be responsible for this? Is there any hope of it still bringing out fruit anytime soon?

The thing is just growing taller and looking very fresh all along and nothing in it ....

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by MartinCorridon: 7:49am On Jun 08, 2018
Wow....

Thanks OP for reminding me about what I had read in Primary and Secondary schools decades ago.

I have never seen a grafted plant though, but I have eaten "Tangelo" before.

Would Google more on the subject.

Give more examples of plant-combinations that can be grafted if you can...

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by delpee(f): 7:51am On Jun 08, 2018
@Op

Please where is your nursery located. I'd like to buy some plants.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 08, 2018
We are still trusting God over the agricultural sector of this Country undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nwaohafia1: 7:55am On Jun 08, 2018
Grafting that i learnt in primary school agriculture.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by whirlwind7(m): 7:58am On Jun 08, 2018
Pavore9.....the topic on this thread is different from what it said on the front page. The two convey different messages.
On the front page, it was talking about the fruits. What the poster was trying to talk about was the grafting process itself, and why most people haven't gone that route yet, not just the fruits from it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by mobolaji234: 7:59am On Jun 08, 2018
This is so interesting. I wish d op can give us more insight into this topic and probably teach us how it's done.
Bless you

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Pavore9: 8:00am On Jun 08, 2018
Rebuke:

Someone brought me a pineapple sometime ago and bcus the pineapple was vry sweet I decided to plant the "head" in a very small space behind the house, this getting close to two years now but d the hasn't brought forth any fruit.

Itz really getting me pissed already, sometimes I feel like jxt pulling it off.

What could be responsible for this? Is there any hope of it still bringing out fruit anytime soon?

2 years? I doubt you will be getting any harvest

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:00am On Jun 08, 2018
All the professor and doctors of agriculture in our various institutions should be sacked.
Agriculture isn't about class room and lecturing
It's about science and practicality
The govt should haul their lazy asses of govt wage bill and bring in fresh young men who are ready to go to the farm

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Pavore9: 8:04am On Jun 08, 2018
whirlwind7:
Pavore9.....the topic on this thread is different from what it said on the front page. The two convey different messages.
On the front page, it was talking about the fruits. What the poster was trying to talk about was the grafting process itself, and why most people haven't gone that route yet, not just the fruits from it.

I understand, it was reworded but not from me.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by stano2(m): 8:06am On Jun 08, 2018
Ayam not understanding.
How come that short tree have ripe fruits already.
Please how did u achieve that, am interested.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by sprints1: 8:07am On Jun 08, 2018
monalicious:

was watching my favorite TV programme how its made though I know part about it but the way they planted tomatoes and other fruits in the greenhouse shows we are eating chemical...chemicalized soil with sodium hydroxide and fertilizer egbamin even the water dem dey take wet am is mixed but the the yield is fascinating infact it looks like "toy tomato" very beautiful..science have advanced na Nigeria we still dey backward...genetic engineering and soil improvement is the next level in agriculture

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by alphaconde(m): 8:08am On Jun 08, 2018
i no even understand wetin una de talk here

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nairaland Farmers Converge @ogbomosho 4 Youth Agri-business Initiative(yabdi) / What You Should Know About NPOWER-AGRO / Three Nigerian Banks That Will Give You A Loan Without Collateral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.