Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,762 members, 7,802,324 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (34269 Views)

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / What Africans Go Through In America By Adeola Fayehun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 08, 2018
grin
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take
I disagree with the first statement that nobody hates black people.
Black people hate themselves first, followed by every other race on this planet.
We are hated because of our potential and what we have given this world, yes, black people gave this world a lot.
But I really don't understand the hatred for each other.. Evident here on nairaland with the afonja, Igbo abuses we witness daily.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2018
Opinionated:
In Europe you don’t have corrupt White man, no, you have a corrupt politicians and a stealing dentist. Why, because the society don’t accept these vices and in Africa we accept them, and celebrate the people. That is why we are all labeled as such. We respect thieves, corrupt people and high level hooligans too much. So, we have branded ourselves to be such. Birds of the same feathers flock together they say.

No normal people sell their own people as slaves, Loot everything that belongs to everyone and bring it to other nations to develop themselves, steal food donated to their refugees, allow their citizens to live in disease and squalor. No, nobody that does that gets respected. The only different is, because the other people don’t know you personally, the only thing they see first is your colour and they base their judgement on that.

WORD

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by shine12: 1:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take

I love you for this.

This is exactly what I was telling a friend last Saturday on our way to the England vs Nigeria game.

Until we develop the African homeland, every black man will be ridiculed and disrespected.

The countries we call ours is created by them. They ignore cultural and ethnical barriers and amalgamated different kingdoms and empires. Yourba, Hausa, Igbo etc should actually be the language spoken in offices, schools and as a means of business etc and maybe Nigeria is an amalgam of nations that won't just co-ecist and therefore Yorubaland, Igboland etc should have been sovereign nations in their own right. That's past now and we have to make Nigeria work.

I went to Holland and visited a bookshop, of course all the books are in Dutch and Dutch people are only 17 million.Yoruba people are at least 40 million and yet the Yoruba language has no major anchor of hope and our children don't even know how to speak it properly.

I still haven't seen any black person in this UK no matter his knowledge, experience, position that doesn't get the "I can't believe he/she is smart stereotype" and that's if he's smart,God help you and make mistake/s.

We have a lot of work to do as a people.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by shine12: 1:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
Op concluded that black man is hated because he's a liar and white man don't lie and cheat. I can't stop laughing.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Fitnessman(m): 1:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
undecided

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by onward4life(m): 1:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
I wished duhari could read this!

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by paddyofboss(m): 1:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
But we have wakanda, Aba and Lagos nshhh..Ayam not understanding u again
This is my take

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by paddyofboss(m): 1:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:

But we have wakanda, Aba and Lagos nshhh..Ayam not understanding u again
This is my take

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by sonnie10: 1:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:
This is a very stupid read.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nathan2016: 1:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
Giddymoney:

Here in Nigeria, we have tribalism, we see other tribes as shit, this is common among the igbo folks, whenever they see an Hausa person, what you hear is ONYE HAUSA.

And now when they travel outside and the whites does the same they starts shouting RACISM upandan

Hypocrite.

You are practicing what you are preaching against.

Keep it up

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 1:46pm On Jun 08, 2018
IHate9jerianss:

The "Dr" is a typical self-loather.
His story's conclusion can be likened to blaming a woman who always gets beaten by her husband.
Exactly. He is just another ignorant African that went to America and thinks he now knows about racism even more than the black Americans that have being there for centuries. He may even have inferiority complex with the way he portrayed the White people as gods who do no wrong

9 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Dami12345: 1:47pm On Jun 08, 2018
Op's point is good but his solution is stupid,
I'll take developing the parent nation better to earn respect.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 08, 2018
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2018
IHate9jerianss:

The "Dr" is a typical self-loather.
His story's conclusion can be likened to blaming a woman who always gets beaten by her husband rather than blaming the man.

Spot on mate.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Oreofepeters: 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
Simplep:
Yarns*...how far,daddyfreeze don lost for nl?
bad belle
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Jasperro(m): 2:00pm On Jun 08, 2018
hmn
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by gerege2005: 2:01pm On Jun 08, 2018
[b] "I have protected you all my life, at last you have the chance to save me and you are reading a magazine"

Umn I feel your pains, such life. Don't be discouraged from continuing protecting her, God is the rewarder of those who do good.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by slowice(m): 2:02pm On Jun 08, 2018
Giddymoney:

Here in Nigeria, we have tribalism, we see other tribes as shit, this is common among the igbo folks, whenever they see an Hausa person, what you hear is ONYE HAUSA.

And now when they travel outside and the whites does the same they starts shouting RACISM upandan

Dude you are the worst of the tribal bigots....pls whats the difference between Hausa man and onye Hausa? Get a life man

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by shine12: 2:04pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

The OP is an idiot. The black man has being hated since in the beginning because of his skin colour, not because of what is happening in Africa. That is why in the old days almost every race disrespected and used us as slaves without even knowing us. They did this because of skin colour. This OP foolishly portrayed the white man like he is some angel without a fault.

Yes you are correct.

The black man stands out wherever he goes mostly outside Africa & Carribeans. He use to be stereotyped that he is a monkey and believed to be so strong that the only thing he's fit for is to be worked to death during slavery and this culture still exist today where you are expected to be work twice as hard than the whites. Diaspora Africans can testify.

The names and boundaries of his less-efficient and less-advanced countries were given to him by the white man who ignored every ethnical and cultural system he had going on. The black man has to always put a smile on and present himself not to be dangerous when around white people.

We need to make our nations strong and self-reliant just like China did. Chinese citizens had no respect in the 1950s, they starved to death in the 60's and now they are the largest exporting countiry with the highest GDP in the world (When PPP is used). Now everyone thinks a Chinese man is naturally smart. No one is smart or dumb from birth because they are Chinese or Black or European but rather we are a product of the education, knowedge, skills and how advanced our environment is, hence the term human development index or GNI index is vital to measure how resourceful a human being can be. There will be a time when the HDI and GNI of African people will be on par or higher than every other race on the world, such time can only be the doing of our own hands.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by zinizta: 2:05pm On Jun 08, 2018
The author goofed IMO this wasn't a case of racism remember they chose to park next to a car whose occupant was a black woman.

The women were simply paranoid.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by MPESA(m): 2:05pm On Jun 08, 2018
Giddymoney:

You are speaking against disunity & tribalism among our fellow Nigerian and at the same time you are shooting yourself.
Sir you are the one promoting that tribal war here now.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Daboomb: 2:09pm On Jun 08, 2018
Opinionated:
By Dr Aroms Aigbehi

One day, my wife and I ....

. When I got into the car, my wife said she didn’t notice anything.

Your wife is white ofcourse. grin grin

Lesson Learned

No matter what you have achieved in life, as long as you are a Black man you remain a suspicious character.............

and someone people have to watch out for. Except of course you are Barack Obama or Kofi Annan or maybe Denzel Washington. What is the difference? Everybody knows these men. They know they are not hooligans but not many people know me in Florida, for them I am just another Black man.

Primal instinct says, Black man is dangerous, RUN. That is not the time to figure out if the dude is Barack Obama or Kofi Annan, because then the same women would have come out of the car for an autograph. That is what you do when you get home. Then you feel regret. In the heat of the moment they must have been thinking, what a stupid and dangerous Black man? And I was thinking, some stupid White women? Actually, I thought we were all victims of circumstances. I wonder what ever happened to these women in the past. It was hurtful, but that is one of the realities of life...................

Whether you like it or not, black people have a reputation, an image. It is that reputation that makes people to disrespect us. Not necessarily due to our colour. If we were green with the same reputation we would still get the same treatment. Then it will be the green people who did it.

The disrespect is not about any Reputation, it is borne out of pure, unadulterated racism. It is all about 'color'.
Even a white-skinned thief, will still disrespect a Black-skinned Lawyer who is there to spring him from jail. shocked
White people erroneously believe they are 'superior' since they have all been brainwashed to think 'white' means Pure (white wedding gown, white painted church, white garment, Jesus painted white when infact, he is dark skinned, e.t.c

But on the other hand, everything 'black' is considered BAD!
Blackboard, Blackbook, blacklist, Devil is a black dude, Black sheep, e.t.c

It is this "superiority complex" that drives white supremacist and makes the white person think they are superior.
Nothing to do with reputation.

Anytime, you see someone cheating, lying, doing corruption and other vices that is now the order of the day in Africa. Say something, do something. Remember, if you don’t, you are a party to creating the environment of disrespect black people face daily, whether for a job interview, or at the airport or at the restaurant. It is the same thing. We are being disrespected all over the world, no matter how rich you are. If you have a degree from Nigeria, they say it’s fake. I wonder why?

The transformation of the Black race must start with Nigerians [/b]because ONE of every SIX black person in the world is a Nigerian. So, we don’t have a cheating Nigerian, no, a cheating black man, Not a corrupt Nigerian, no, a corrupt black man, etc. You know how we can tell if so
someone is an Igbo man and the other is a Yoruba? White people can’t do that. In Europe and America Black is Black.

In Europe you don’t have corrupt White man, no, you have a corrupt politicians and a stealing dentist. ....

True, the Caucasian cant spot the difference in us just as we most times, cant spot the difference in them.
We see all of them as white when in fact, there are differences between them.

[b]No normal people sell their own people as slaves
, Loot everything that belongs to everyone and bring it to other nations to develop themselves, steal food donated to their refugees, allow their citizens to live in disease and squalor. No, nobody that does that gets respected.

Back in the dark ages, white people also sell their own 'whites' as slaves.
Go and read about the war between the Nordic people (Danes especially) and the rest of Europe/British people.
A few decades ago, the British took the Irish as slaves, so much they write in their bars "No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish" [/quote]

The only different is, because the other people don’t know you personally, the only thing they see first is your colour and they base their judgement on that.

Yes, I know, it is wrong and I am not condoning discrimination but remember, if a lion is pursuing you, that is not the time to find out if it is a trained circus lion or one that escaped from the local zoo.

There you go again.... it is all about color! Nothing to do with "actions or Reputation"

It’s time we hold ourselves to a higher moral and ethical standards. It is only by doing this the black race will ever gain respect from the world.

Source: Opinions.Ng

I agree with you though, we have to cleanup our acts.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Bizibi(m): 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2018
Optional09:
Well, you should have used your GPS to safe yourself that drama and if you are a frequent traveler you should know there is always service center between 20 to 30m on I-95 and 75.

Have you experienced “nice racism” that’s the type that frightened me the most.

Nice racism is when a white person act so nice to you...not knowing he or she had just called the police on you
damn,I know some blacks have gone to jail because of that
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Ugosample(m): 2:14pm On Jun 08, 2018
Racism exists because many of them deep within themselves see Africans as inferior beings.

And you can't blame them because for centuries , Africans have been conducting themselves and their societies as inferior people, slavery and colonialism notwithstanding.

When people get busted for crime, even though blacks are a minority, they are disproportionately represented in the violent crime scene.

The black man has a choice tho to redeem himself , because in the 21st century, no excuses whatsoever are valid.

But hey, black man like enjoyment so that's not happening soon
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Optional09: 2:15pm On Jun 08, 2018
If you are in Nigeria and you don’t know what I-95 or 75 looks like. I bet you are missing out. With I-95 in Nigeria from Lagos to Maiduguri might about 1hr 30min drive
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by midastouch: 2:19pm On Jun 08, 2018
zinizta:
The author goofed IMO this wasn't a case of racism remember they chose to park next to a car whose occupant was a black woman.

The women were simply paranoid.

If you read the write up, you would have seen that the authors wife is white.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Ugosample(m): 2:20pm On Jun 08, 2018
Opinionated:
By Dr Aroms Aigbehi

One day, my wife and I were travelling from Miami, Florida to Cape Coral, Florida, USA. We had to drive through US 75. That road is Long and lonely, with very few petrol stations. Remember not to fall asleep because the road is straight , as if someone used a laser beam to measure it.

If you miss the last patrol station before the long straight you are in trouble when you run out. Because you will get stuck halfway at the Alligator Alley. You will find out soon enough why they call it the Alligator Alley.

The car was running low on gas, as the Americans would call it. ( I will further call it petrol.) So I decided to stop and ask if someone knows how far the next petrol station was. Because, I could only make another 40 miles with what I had. If it was too far from it I would rather go back to Miami to refill because I don’t like alligators.

So, we came to this nature reserve area and there were lots of people there. I felt safe. I parked the car, left my wife in the car and I walked about 100 meters away where other cars were parked. I saw two ladies and decided to ask them. I approached their car and immediately they spotted me they roll up the car windows and warned me to stay away from them. They were very scared and locked the doors of the car and drove off immediately.

Guess what? They drove to the other side of the park 100 meters away and parked next to my car with my wife sitting inside. There they felt safe because now they were three white women there. Remember the saying, there is safety in numbers.

I later found a man who politely told me that the next petrol station was just 10 miles away. So, I thanked him very much and started moving back to my car and these two women were right next to it..

Now, I was thinking, I hope these women don’t decide to shoot me to protect themselves from this ‘Black maniac’. I was trying to signal my wife to come out of the car at least to pretend she knew me, so the other women stay calm, but she was too busy with her magazine that she didn’t see my act of desperation. Now, I was thinking. I have protected you all my life, at last you have the chance to save me and you are reading a magazine.

Luckily, as I got closer the women thought the place was getting too dangerous and they drove away leaving my poor wife there to face the black maniac alone. When I got into the car, my wife said she didn’t notice anything.

Lesson Learned

No matter what you have achieved in life, as long as you are a Black man you remain a suspicious character and someone people have to watch out for. Except of course you are Barack Obama or Kofi Annan or maybe Denzel Washington. What is the difference? Everybody knows these men. They know they are not hooligans but not many people know me in Florida, for them I am just another Black man.

Primal instinct says, Black man is dangerous, RUN. That is not the time to figure out if the dude is Barack Obama or Kofi Annan, because then the same women would have come out of the car for an autograph. That is what you do when you get home. Then you feel regret. In the heat of the moment they must have been thinking, what a stupid and dangerous Black man? And I was thinking, some stupid White women? Actually, I thought we were all victims of circumstances. I wonder what ever happened to these women in the past. It was hurtful, but that is one of the realities of life.

I can just imagine their story in the next Tupperware meeting about how they escaped death on the US 75 from Miami to Naples from a manic black rapist.

Whether you like it or not, black people have a reputation, an image. It is that reputation that makes people to disrespect us. Not necessarily due to our colour. If we were green with the same reputation we would still get the same treatment. Then it will be the green people who did it.

Anytime, you see someone cheating, lying, doing corruption and other vices that is now the order of the day in Africa. Say something, do something. Remember, if you don’t, you are a party to creating the environment of disrespect black people face daily, whether for a job interview, or at the airport or at the restaurant. It is the same thing. We are being disrespected all over the world, no matter how rich you are. If you have a degree from Nigeria, they say it’s fake. I wonder why?

The transformation of the Black race must start with Nigerians because ONE of every SIX black person in the world is a Nigerian. So, we don’t have a cheating Nigerian, no, a cheating black man, Not a corrupt Nigerian, no, a corrupt black man, etc. You know how we can tell if someone is an Igbo man and the other is a Yoruba? White people can’t do that. In Europe and America Black is Black.

In Europe you don’t have corrupt White man, no, you have a corrupt politicians and a stealing dentist. Why, because the society don’t accept these vices and in Africa we accept them, and celebrate the people. That is why we are all labeled as such. We respect thieves, corrupt people and high level hooligans too much. So, we have branded ourselves to be such. Birds of the same feathers flock together they say.

No normal people sell their own people as slaves, Loot everything that belongs to everyone and bring it to other nations to develop themselves, steal food donated to their refugees, allow their citizens to live in disease and squalor. No, nobody that does that gets respected. The only different is, because the other people don’t know you personally, the only thing they see first is your colour and they base their judgement on that.

Yes, I know, it is wrong and I am not condoning discrimination but remember, if a lion is pursuing you, that is not the time to find out if it is a trained circus lion or one that escaped from the local zoo.

It’s time we hold ourselves to a higher moral and ethical standards. It is only by doing this the black race will ever gain respect from the world.

Source: Opinions.Ng

This article's spot on.

Black people have a reputation, and we need to change that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yankari 3M Suite Palaver: See The Official Tariffs/Rates / Xenophobic Attacks : Air Peace Offers To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians In SA / Police Officers Involved In Accident In Ebonyi, Rescued By Civilians (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.