Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,347 members, 7,780,933 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:47 AM

My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (34210 Views)

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / What Africans Go Through In America By Adeola Fayehun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by millomaniac: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take

You can not be more correct

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Ugosample(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2018
shine12:
Op concluded that black man is hated because he's a liar and white man don't lie and cheat. I can't stop laughing.

If a white politician commits fraud, and GETS CAUGHT, The SOCIETY will ostracize him and he will carry his load

In black Africa, if you are caught in fraud, you will have your kinsnen and paid fools on the streets protesting to free you and whipping up ethnic sentiments

The height of this was the #FreeEvans hashtag last year.

In Ivory coast, some still deify Gbagbo despite the damage he did to that country

Examples are endless

So the deduction of this narrative is that black men (I'm resisting the urge to say monkey) tolerates crime and worship money.

According to falz----- This is Nigeria, everybody be criminal

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by drakeli: 2:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
In my church, I’m a member of our worship group. It’s a more than 90% white church. Everyone knows me. There is a white lady I was crushing on. I tried making friend with her. Do you know she went to my group leader to tell on me that she felt unsafe around me. What? What the hell? White girls can be very suspicious of black guys. Although my group leader being white himself understands. He was surprised at the attitude of the girl by saying that church should be a place where everyone should be safe around each other.

So if you think there is no racism in the US. Then maybe you don’t get to leave your bedroom. Racism even in church. Can you imagine.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
No matter how sugar coated you want to make it or rationalize ignorance on the part of the whites you are yet to accept the truth.

Racism is real and you are judged by the colour of your skin. Blacks are seen as animals and are treated as such by the whites. There are minor exception to this rule based on universal level of education.

The blacks too do not love themselves. They prefer to be fare to the whites than their fellow blacks.

Even in black communities there is extreme tribalism which lends credence that blacks are inferior due to their laziness to study the universe.

Black remain on hunter gather mindset and worship anything just to remain in the box of religions created by the whites.

Racism is real. You can't rationalize it with diplomatic coloration

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by malachytochukwu(m): 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2018
Hate no go kill you my brother. ..

First, you need to understand what that means. ..

Second, ask yourself what "omo igbo " means in yoruba language. ..

Third, ascertain the meaning of "nyamiri" from an hausa man.

Then come back and be your own judge.

[Aquote author=Giddymoney post=68293628]

Here in Nigeria, we have tribalism, we see other tribes as shit, this is common among the igbo folks, whenever they see an Hausa person, what you hear is ONYE HAUSA.

And now when they travel outside and the whites does the same they starts shouting RACISM upandan[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by j1mmy: 2:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
This is an idiotic post.

1, Go and find out why racism still exist and you will see that lazy ghetto black Americans (who look like you) are part of it.

2, Obama and Denzel Washington said publicly that they faced and still face racism (because they look like the millions of lazy criminal black Americans in the ghettos.

3, There is evidence to show today that racism is less for Asians than it is for blacks because Asians continue to develop and change themselves - you want racism to stop carry your campaign to American ghettos and African cities and tell them to move themselves into the 21st century!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by john650(m): 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take
Spot on. It's all about money. If your country is very rich and your standard of living is closer to theirs, they will respect you.

America, Canada or the European countries are not allowing us to come and settle in their countries because they feel we have nothing to offer them. They point to our own countries as example of how not to run a country.

They used to treat the Japanese and Chinese the same way until those countries got their acts together. No matter how succesful a black man is in the Western world, they are still disrespected because of the condition of Africa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by pacespot(m): 3:01pm On Jun 08, 2018
SniperSmurf:
Too long.
Those white women are the worst when it comes to racism. Not all sha o.

Women generally, including African women, are the first to run away from anything perceived as a danger. if the society is bad, corrupt and filled with money gobblers as we have in Nigeria, you can expect women to take it to a higher level by worshipping money at all costs. So it is just the way they are.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 08, 2018
undecided
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Gassa007: 3:04pm On Jun 08, 2018
Giddymoney:

Here in Nigeria, we have tribalism, we see other tribes as shit, this is common among the igbo folks, whenever they see an Hausa person, what you hear is ONYE HAUSA.

And now when they travel outside and the whites does the same they starts shouting RACISM upandan
What about Omo Ibo or Omo nna?? Sounds familiar right?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by speedyGonzales: 3:10pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
This is my take

I absolutely agree with you. From my experience living abroad for significant portion of my live. I have also come to the same conclusion. We must develop what is ours and love ours. Thats the only way forward for us!

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by BlackManta(m): 3:14pm On Jun 08, 2018
Giddymoney:

And now when they travel outside and the whites does the same they starts shouting RACISM upandan

ONYE HAUSA is the Igbo translation for HAUSA PERSON.

There's nothing tribalistic about it.

We also have words like ONYE IGBO and ONYE YORUBA.

It is not a deragatory or tribalistic.
It is our language.

Tho i know that tribalism is a problem in Nigeria and every tribe has it's own share of toxic tribalists but your point is baseless.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Pointnoire(m): 3:15pm On Jun 08, 2018
As a man if I was looking for direction I naturally ask other men and these days my GPS and phone do all that for me, that not a single word was exchanged between you and these women means you don't know their story, they could be suspects on the run ..what is the race of the man who finally gave you direction?like some one mentioned earlier did you not notice the rest stops on the way three in total between Fort Lauderdale and Naples this not counting the Mobil you see on the outskirts of Fort Lauderdale for a Doctor you sure are a poor planner.... Racism is alive and well in America just as Tribalism is alive and well in Nigeria ............. your experience doesn't qualify it as racism my two cents

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by stdammis(m): 3:17pm On Jun 08, 2018
Optional09:
Well, you should have used your GPS to safe yourself that drama and if you are a frequent traveler you should know there is always service center between 20 to 30m on I-95 and 75.

Have you experienced “nice racism” that’s the type that frightened me the most.

Nice racism is when a white person act so nice to you...not knowing he or she had just called the police on you

Exactly....you living in America and you asking for things that are just a phone button away from you. Why wouldn't they move away......for all they know you could be a homeless begger. Even I move away from people I dont know.....you cant just approach people anyhow. That's the least racism story I've heard.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by OChimex: 3:24pm On Jun 08, 2018
Sorry for your bad experience. It's a pity blacks experience such. To be frank, from my observation blacks seem not to be good people from birth, just a minute number seem to be good and love doing good. Did you watch Nigeria vs ATM match? The only aggressive player from ATM side was a black man, sadly a Ghanaian. He was hellbent on hurting his fellow blacks, Nigerian players. u needed to have seen the venom in him in that match. That's exactly a picture of most blacks. The languages they speak are destruction, envy, jealousy, wickedness. They lack that humane part of humankind.

Just look at how destroyed black nations are. Take a look at Nigeria, how a tribe heartlessly keep wiping out a particular tribe without remorse. Look at the politicians, the incoming ones are even worst than the previous. u ask urself, aren't there a single politician selfless in Nigeria?

But sadly, they see and experience all these when they deal with most blacks. and those who have had this contact with those bad ones tend to make those minute good blacks suffer as well.

But then, most of cases common sense would have saved the black victim. In your case if I were u I will be extremely careful amongst whites. I repeat, extremely careful. I would have filled my tank before the travel and avoid anything that will make me go ask a white person anything.
And assuming I parked and saw white women, I would have sent my wife to go speak to her fellow whites. And when ur wife wasn't looking, I would have stayed action and called her phone. What of those women had loaded guns with them, walahi ur name would have been sorry cos u were charging towards them despite running away from u. That would have been their excuse.
As a black person know that ur life in danger despite marrying a white and be extremely I mean extremely careful in whatever that will bring u close to a white person other than your wife.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Optional09: 3:30pm On Jun 08, 2018
stdammis:

Exactly....you living in America and you asking for things that are just a phone button away from you. Why wouldn't they move away......for all they know you could be a homeless begger. Even I move away from people I dont know.....you cant just approach people anyhow. That's the least racism story I've heard.

No body expect you to ask that kind of question when you can use your common sense.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Gavrelino123: 3:30pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
This is my take
You are well informed indeed.....thanks for the enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by ivolt: 3:36pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

The OP is an idiot. The black man has being hated since in the beginning because of his skin colour, not because of what is happening in Africa. That is why in the old days almost every race disrespected and used us as slaves without even knowing us. They did this because of skin colour. This OP foolishly portrayed the white man like he is some angel without a fault.

I agree with your point but this has nothing to do with color of skin. If the westerners were black and we are white and the same power play existed. Slavery of the whites would have happened and the whites would be the one blaming racism. The Japanese were once known as the yellow monkeys in Europe, but you will hardly find any ordinary European who still carry that thought. Every race has one time or another being subjected to slavery.

The funny thing is that most people I know who claim they are hated because of their skin color don't hate whites. You would think they are some saint who can't hate others but the same people hold extreme views of other tribes with the same black skin as themselves. The worst way they would describe a white is as an imperialist or racist but they reserve worse adjectives for their fellow blacks.

People don't respect the Chinese or Japanese because they are short or the Korean due to their smaller frame. They are respected because they respect themselves and what they have achieved. They don't demand things, they make things happen.

A superior or equal power will gain respect while an inferior one will be ridiculed. That is the reality, no media campaign can change it. Even if it is not spoken, it resides in people's subconscious.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by stdammis(m): 3:36pm On Jun 08, 2018
Optional09:

No body expect you to ask that kind of question when you can use your common sense.

Right.....people like that guy are the ones that go around looking for trouble. Trying to famz with people they dont know, and when they get curved they go around crying about being a victim of racism. That story is somehow.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by kellybaba(m): 3:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
millomaniac:

You have a point but my disappointment is that you allowed the actions of two paranoid unknown white skinned american women to inspire this write up. And more sadly they made you look down on yourself and people. Yes Africa and Africans are always protrayed in bad light. But from your write up that area or route seems not to have the best of security. The women might have heard stories about the area same as you. Same way you were security conscious of the surrounding by going the extra length to making sure you have enough gas so as to not get stranded in that area in as much as that area is dominated by white skinned folks is same way they became security conscious on sighting a male approaching them in that area. May be it was your appearance some people just naturally have a bad mean appearance or maybe they were just being paranoid or maybe they saw a dark skinned man. But you opted for the later. They might have acted same if a menacing white skinned male was approaching them. Or they might have acted differently if a very good looking young dark skinned male approached or a dark skinned priest approached. I am sure you wouldn't have come up with this write up. if similar actions were taken by 2 dark skinned women. Which then begs the question "are you being racist against yourself?" We as a dark skinned people must not succumb to seeing ourselves the way people of other race sees us. There is absolutely nothing wrong with us. Africans are indeed wonderful people. If the wrong set of people assume power and deny their people food, quality education and basic human amenities no matter the race of people they would find themselves exactly if not worse than africa. same way their are notorious african american neighbourhoods and a person whether white or dark skinned becomes security conscious at the sight of a dark skinned man when they are in those neighbourhood is same way there are notorious white american neighbourhoods and a white or dark skinned person becomes security conscious on sighting a white skinned man in that neighbourhood . The difference is the notorious african neighbourhood is over publicized and blown out of proportion.

Please do you know any country in black Africa (with all the wealth under their soils) that is advanced in any facet of life or at least has conquered the basic needs of existence to majority of its citizens (let me not say all citizens?) ?
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 3:45pm On Jun 08, 2018
ivolt:

I agree with your point but this has nothing to do with color of skin. If the westerners were black and we are white and the same power play existed. Slavery of the whites would have happened and the whites would be the one blaming racism. The Japanese were once known as the yellow monkeys in Europe, but you will hardly find any ordinary European who still carry that thought. Every race has one time or another being subjected to slavery.

The funny thing is that most people I know who claim they are hated because of their skin color don't hate whites. You would think they are some saint who can't hate others but the same people hold extreme views of other tribes with the same black skin as themselves. The worst way they would describe a white is as an imperialist or racist but they reserve worse adjectives for their fellow blacks.

People don't respect the Chinese or Japanese because they are short or the Korean due to their smaller frame. They are respected because they respect themselves and what they have achieved. They don't demand things, they make things happen.

A superior or equal power will gain respect while an inferior one will be ridiculed. That is the reality, no media campaign can change it. Even if it is not spoken, it resides in people's subconscious.
U have no clue about racism. That's all I would say

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by millomaniac: 3:46pm On Jun 08, 2018
kellybaba:

Please do you know any country in black Africa (with all the wealth under their soils) that is advanced in any facet of life or at least has conquered the basic needs of existence to majority of its citizens (let me not say all citizens?) ?

There is no such country that wasn't colonized And there way of life disrupted.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Optional09: 3:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
stdammis:

Right.....people like that guy are the ones that go around looking for trouble. Trying to famz with people they dont know, and when they get curved they go around crying about being a victim of racism. That story is somehow.

Lol
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by poseidon12: 3:59pm On Jun 08, 2018
Right on point.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by ivolt: 4:01pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

U have no clue about racism. That's all I would say
I do. I don't just think blaming others and living in perpetual victimhood is the way forward.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Legalosas: 4:02pm On Jun 08, 2018
Fantastic piece

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Car Plunges Off A Bridge With 4 People Inside In Akure This Morning (Photos) / Ibom Air Acquire Fifth Airplane, 5 More Expected Before 2023 / Fiberesima Ama: A Hidden Island In Rivers State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.