Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,628 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly (14708 Views)

A Bill To Allow States Generate Electricity Passed By House Of Representatives / Akwa Ibom Assembly Reconvenes, Suspend 11 Members / Buhari Rejects Four Bills Passed By Reps, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Blue3k(m): 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2018
The Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly has passed a bill which will ensure that companies doing business in the state hire at least 10 per cent of their senior workers and 70 per cent of junior workers from among the indigenes of the state.

The bill requires the governor’s assent for it to become law.

Companies that will be affected are those that have at least 20 employees and more.

“Where the quota for youths/indigenes of the state is not filled on account of non-availability of qualified indigenes of the state, the company shall ensure that a reasonable effort is made within two years to supply such training locally or elsewhere to the indigenes of the state, in a joint venture with the commissioner so that after the training, the beneficiaries could be absorbed by the said company,” says the bill which was passed on Thursday.

It was sponsored by Victor Udofia, member representing Ikono State Constituency, and seven others.

The bill, when signed into law, will empower the state government to carry out personnel audit in private firms to ensure compliance.

It prescribes fines for non-compliance.

It also states that compliance shall be a major criterion for contract award and issuance of license and permit by the state government.

Akwa Ibom is home to Mobil Producing Nigeria, a subsidiary of the American oil giant, ExxonMobil, as well as several oil-related companies doing businesses in the state.

Besides, many construction companies have moved into the state in the past 10 years because of massive road construction and urban renewal projects of the state government.

The Speaker of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Onofiok Luke, said during the plenary that the law reflects the 6th assembly’s commitment to Governor Udom Emmanuel’s job creation ambition.

Mr Luke said that the increasing young population in the state makes it imperative that government takes more definitive steps towards the integration of the youth in the economy.

“Government needs to create avenues first, for the employability of young people through good education and skills impartation,” the speaker said.

“Secondly, the public and private sector must architect ways to support entrepreneurship; and lastly, jobs must be created and job market place must be regulated in such a way that they amply accommodate the youth.

“The law will promote a culture of local ownership and participation in all aspects of the state’s productive economic activities.

“Let me restate for the benefit of our constituents that when signed by the Governor, His Excellency Mr Udom Emmanuel, this law will position our youth and women to be firsthand beneficiaries of existing and prospective job opportunities in our state.

“It will integrate our youth and women adequately into domestic market and prepare them for foreign opportunities through training in technologies and managerial skills. The law will promote peace and a sense of local ownership while ultimately discouraging youth restiveness especially those often emanating from host communities,” the speaker said.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/south-south-regional/271690-bill-to-compel-companies-to-hire-indigenes-passed-by-akwa-ibom-assembly.html

Front Page: Lalasticlala

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Alejoc(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2018
Great development no doubt!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Blue3k(m): 3:28pm On Jun 09, 2018
The law will be effective if the state government gives contract preference to companies who hire residents and will assist companies in skills development. The state should just invest more in education and skills training. I dont see the point in having percentage quota since companies would normally hire qualified talent in area.

It also states that compliance shall be a major criterion for contract award and issuance of license and permit by the state government.

They shouldnt go over board the state already has high unemployment. The law could backfire if they are punative about it resulting in less investment in state. (Tribal/indigene quotas are not a good idea)

11 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by GreatEngineer(m): 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2018
Good move.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Optional09: 3:33pm On Jun 09, 2018
Sense! Yorubas are acting very unwise

8 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Gloriousgud: 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2018
thank God my people don dey open eyes. small time make una pass another law wey go pursue Hausa -Fulani from una oil bloc's.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by damtan(m): 3:41pm On Jun 09, 2018
you'll be surprised Yorubas will still dominate.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by orisa37: 3:44pm On Jun 09, 2018
Very good bill. Also compel all Companies-Limited or otherwise and including the various Networks to pay taxes directly to the State.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by speedyGonzales: 3:47pm On Jun 09, 2018
I like it. Onofiok Luke good one.

If FG did like that the Chinese may have a little bit more respect for Nigerians they hire.

In UK to hire a foreigner, you have to get a permit from government and proof that you can't find anyone within the country that possess that skills to do that job. The should also be a National database for all the unemployed with access to their CV's so employers can easily checkup for these people and government can provide jobs more easily to Nigerians.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by richeso: 3:53pm On Jun 09, 2018
i love this. i soo love this

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by obonujoker(m): 3:54pm On Jun 09, 2018
Very good... Buh this can't happen in Lagos because clowns from Osun, Oyo, Ekiti etc will come and be claiming Lagosians, instead of going back to their states of origin....

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 4:23pm On Jun 09, 2018
I don't like this kind of law. It;s tantamount to just dividing the country, so that everyone can rest. Instead of this, why not compel companies to to employ people who have lived in the state for at least 2 years because these people are also contributing to the state through taxes.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by highqueen(f): 4:25pm On Jun 09, 2018
obonujoker:
Very good... Buh this can't happen in Lagos because clowns from Osun, Oyo, Ekiti etc will come and be claiming Lagosians, instead of going back to their states of origin....
undecided are they not your brothers?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by obonujoker(m): 4:27pm On Jun 09, 2018
highqueen:

undecided are they not your brothers?

So if I'm from cross river, perhaps I should call myself omo uyo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by highqueen(f): 4:30pm On Jun 09, 2018
obonujoker:

So if I'm from cross river, perhaps I should call myself omo uyo
mmmmm,okay. you must be a Yoruba Muslim then.undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by amozo: 4:38pm On Jun 09, 2018
Don't worry is because of Mobil,better steal it will be across all state,Lagos portharcourt,abuja
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by hopilo: 4:55pm On Jun 09, 2018
10% is small for senior staff

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by OlujobaSamuel: 4:58pm On Jun 09, 2018
can state legislate on such labour issues as to who to employ?
I think this is a fg issue and there is law on it already just lack of effectiveness, state should not pass such law, it's negative effect is higher than the positive, both for state and fg, rather, I would suggest it to be a state policy to award contracts to company's with significant number of indigenes(70% or any % they so wish) and also through some levy/tax relief, not imposing fines on such company.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Blue3k(m): 5:08pm On Jun 09, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:
can state legislate on such labour issues as to who to employ?
I think this is a fg issue and there is law on it already just lack of effectiveness, state should not pass such law, it's negative effect is higher than the positive, both for state and fg, rather, I would suggest it to be a state policy to award contracts to company's with significant number of indigenes(70% or any % they so wish) and also through some levy/tax relief, not imposing fines on such company.

Yeah theres already a law on books for it on federal level. The caveat being they don't have to hire nigerians if they don't meet skills requirement. They are giving preference to companies with higher amount of resident talent.

Afam4eva:
I don't like this kind of law. It;s tantamount to just dividing the country, so that everyone can rest. Instead of this, why not compel companies to to employ people who have lived in the state for at least 2 years because these people are also contributing to the state through taxes.

Yeah they should just tweak it to say residents. If not its not much different from preferential quota and leaves everyone else at disadvantage because they were born into wrong tribe. If every state starts passing these sort of laws its going to be messy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by osazeeblue01: 5:19pm On Jun 09, 2018
Kudos to them

1 Like

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by OlujobaSamuel: 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2018
Blue3k:

Yeah theres already a law on books for it on federal level. The caveat being they don't have to hire nigerians if they don't meet skills requirement. They are giving preference to companies with higher amount of resident talent.

Yeah they should just tweak it to say residents. If not its not much different from preferential quota and leaves everyone else at disadbantage because they were born into wrong tribe. If ever state starts passing these sort of laws its going to be messy.
yeah, very messy, hope they realize soon enough

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Celestyn8213: 7:52pm On Jun 09, 2018
Una dey sleep before?

1 Like

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:52pm On Jun 09, 2018
Matters arising.....
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by rozayx5(m): 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2018
Mobil should take note

Very few senior akwa ibom guys In mobil

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Gerrard59(m): 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2018
Apologies, but this bill if signed will be a nonsensical one. Most folks in the state, I've to say, lack simple work ethic! As simple as it's, it's lacking. Last I checked, businesses don't employ based on sentiments (except ailing businesses. Which is why there are ailing). The bill is ridiculous!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:54pm On Jun 09, 2018
Wrong and useless move

Anang people will now have enough reason to finish Ibibio people.

It is not the responsibility of any private entity to train individuals from a locality because the want to employ them.
This law will be counterproductive.

Once again useless law.

8 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 09, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
Wrong and useless move

It would chase potential investors away. In Nigeria, indigenous expert are only seen under the microscope of broadly researched HR talk less of a search within the local confines of little known Akwa Ibom. Wrong move, I re-echo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by ednut1(m): 7:56pm On Jun 09, 2018
Quota over merit. Dats nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Blue3k(m): 7:56pm On Jun 09, 2018
rozayx5:
Mobil should take note

Very few senior akwa ibom guys In mobil

Are you asking for tribal/indigene quota? What happens when other states copy. They should just focus on improving education and skills training.

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by mumumugu(m): 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2018
o support this
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Harrynight(m): 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2018
grin Akwa Ibom Ado Oke

"I want to go home
I'm from Akwa Ibom
Incase you don’t know
Akwa Ibom Ayaya
you can enter motor
or fly for Aero
and land for Uyo
you should come with me
I'm missing the love at home

Home sweet home
no place like home..."

God Bless Akwa Ibom State
God Bless Udom Emmanuel
God Bless Onoifiok Luke
God Bless My Humble Self

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Life No Balance: Reno Omokri & Mr Gidi Song On Southern Kaduna Killings / Senate Amends Terrorism Act, Prohibits Payment Of Ransom To Kidnappers / Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.