Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:37 AM

What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (50582 Views)

Why Is The Programming Language Called "Java" Based On A Coffee Type Name? / Any Job Prospect For One Who Studies Software Engineering At NIIT Please? / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Pedekunle(m): 5:46pm On Jun 11, 2018
AndroBlaze:

I strongly disagree with this.

In most English Speaking Countries anyone who has a strong and formal understanding of a "Foreign" language(s) could be termed a Linguist. Thus if you have have a strong formal grasp of French, calling you a linguist would not be far off.

However you would not be termed a linguist because you studied "English" in an "English" speaking country as:

1. it is not foreign to us
2. Most of the course has to do with English literature and logical thinking and not the scientific "break down" of the language as you highlighted.

The answer is:
1. An English Graduate in the UK and most of the CommonWealth
2. An English Major in the US.

Therefore you should only be termed a Linguist in an English Speaking country if:

1. You have mastered Foreign Languages
2. You study Linguistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_studies

You captured my mind.

A linguist must combine, at least, knowledge of a foreign language with the primary language of study. Thus, there is the large tendencies of COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS in the work that qualifies you to be called a linguist.

The study of one pure language such as English doen't make you a linguist even though that is what most students are made to believe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by nkul: 5:47pm On Jun 11, 2018
English language Graduate
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Ripama: 5:48pm On Jun 11, 2018
I'm here to laugh n book space
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jun 11, 2018
Englician.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by captainbangz: 5:50pm On Jun 11, 2018
HOW ABOUT A PERSON FROM FINLAND? I HEARD HE OR SHE IS CALLED FINPERSON. IS IT TRUE?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 11, 2018
BOOMnaija:

A linguistics ke?
No wahala. I may not be perfect in English but you maybe worst off
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Ephhay(f): 5:54pm On Jun 11, 2018
A Grammarian
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Equiano: 5:55pm On Jun 11, 2018
A Grammarian
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 11, 2018
Pedekunle:

You captured my mind.

A linguist must combine, at least, knowledge of a foreign language with the primary language of study. Thus, there is the large tendencies of COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS in the work that qualifies you to be called a linguist.

The study of one pure language such as English doen't make you a linguist even though that is what most students are made to believe
You guys are not telling us the answer and you are condemning the person who gave us pure analysis

1 Like

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Meritocracy: 5:59pm On Jun 11, 2018
Engilisi tisa or Engilisian
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by donkaz2(m): 6:02pm On Jun 11, 2018
The person is called a linguist in English.

If I studied english language and u ask me I will reply am a ligust in English same applied to other linguist I.e linguist in French etc
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by paparazzi1987(m): 6:02pm On Jun 11, 2018
Englishian grin grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by chiomychoco111: 6:02pm On Jun 11, 2018
A linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by MrCork: 6:03pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
So, months back while in my friend's room, her room mate asked a question and it goes; "A person who studies/studied English language is called what? Well, I said he/she is a linguist, and she asked if I was sure. Told her to check on google, but she said she couldn't find the answer to it on google. Just this night, I remembered to ask a linguist in my room the same question, and she said I was wrong as studying a language doesn't make one a linguist, but she can't answer the question. Where are my English and Literature students? What's a person who studies/studied English Language called?

..a EnglishcIan! ! angry
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by lx3as(m): 6:04pm On Jun 11, 2018
maspero22:
A linguist

A linguist is one who studies Linguistics.

A graduate of English or being called based on the aspect or area within English the graduand or student chooses as field, eg:

Grammarian

semanticist

Sociolinguist

Poet

writer

critic

playwright

prose-writer, proseman, proser (obsolete)

discourse-analyst, etc.

2 Likes

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 11, 2018
The person is called a Grammarian.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by SapphirePRINCEX(f): 6:05pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:

grin I was banned by the Mods since 18th May I cud'nt post anything, it was lifted few days ago, kinda busy to sit down to forecast, besides major leagues had ended but I will return hopefully this weekend to post world cup games. smiley

Take Care!
cc. Me when you post
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by bussycasty(f): 6:07pm On Jun 11, 2018
They are called GRAMMARIANS
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Ahmeduana(m): 6:08pm On Jun 11, 2018
ENGLISH MAJOR
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Uyiii: 6:08pm On Jun 11, 2018
hi kimbraa. The person is called a Linguist irrespective of the language studied.
English, French, Bini are all languages and if you should study any of these languages, you'll be referred to as a LINGUIST.

peeps saying Linguist should only come in when we talking about foreign languages are only knowledgeable about one side of it's meaning.
Check the meaning of Linguistics, this should do justice to your question.

cheers.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by justifyme(m): 6:12pm On Jun 11, 2018
Linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Antoeni(m): 6:23pm On Jun 11, 2018
Englist

1 Like

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by cpapa: 6:25pm On Jun 11, 2018
asuustrike2009:

What would you say for a person that studied French in a French speaking country?
it's called Francis

1 Like

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Fianze93(m): 6:27pm On Jun 11, 2018
lx3as:

A linguist is one who studies Linguistics.

A graduate of English or being called based on the aspect or area within English the graduand or student chooses as field, eg:

Grammarian

semanticist

Sociolinguist

Poet

writer

critic

playwright

prose-writer, proseman, proser (obsolete)

discourse-analyst, etc.

I agree...

Just add

Psychoanalist grin
Historiangrin

If you studied English and your school is not one of those schools that give you the option of choosing from one of these major divisions... Then just call your self an English graduate

But if you had selected and majored in one, say Discourse Analysis for instance, then you are a Discourse Analyst.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Arizonaguy(m): 6:33pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
So, months back while in my friend's room, her room mate asked a question and it goes; "A person who studies/studied English language is called what? Well, I said he/she is a linguist, and she asked if I was sure. Told her to check on google, but she said she couldn't find the answer to it on google. Just this night, I remembered to ask a linguist in my room the same question, and she said I was wrong as studying a language doesn't make one a linguist, but she can't answer the question. Where are my English and Literature students? What's a person who studies/studied English Language called?
Anybody who study language in any form is called a linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by BOOMnaija(m): 6:35pm On Jun 11, 2018
asuustrike2009:

No wahala. I may not be perfect in English but you maybe worst off
Next time, u say worse off, not worst off.

And may be is different from maybe. Lol
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by smithbidy(m): 6:35pm On Jun 11, 2018
He/She is call Linguist
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by trumpcoat(m): 6:36pm On Jun 11, 2018
The person who study English is a lingiust,
The study of English is linguistic
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by TeamSimple(m): 6:45pm On Jun 11, 2018
AndroBlaze:

I strongly disagree with this.

In most English Speaking Countries anyone who has a strong and formal understanding of a "Foreign" language(s) could be termed a Linguist. Thus if you have have a strong formal grasp of French, calling you a linguist would not be far off.

However you would not be termed a linguist because you studied "English" in an "English" speaking country as:

1. it is not foreign to us
2. Most of the course has to do with English literature and logical thinking and not the scientific "break down" of the language as you highlighted.

The answer is:
1. An English Graduate in the UK and most of the CommonWealth
2. An English Major in the US.

Therefore you should only be termed a Linguist in an English Speaking country if:

1. You have mastered Foreign Languages
2. You study Linguistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_studies

The person you quote is very correct .
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:46pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
...Google...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See List Of Aides Of Students Union President Of Akwa Ibom State University / Best Polytechnic In Nigeria / 5 Nigerians Make Most Brilliant Black Students In UK List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.