Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress (43811 Views)

Men Date Me Out Of P!ty – Amputee Actress, Doris Akonanya / Doris Akonanya Dances To Davido's Song / Doris Samuel Akonanya Produces Her Own Movie (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by made4naijamusic: 11:49am On Jun 12, 2018
A Nigerian lady who recently celebrated her birthday with a bold photo showing off her stump, has shared her story on her Instagram page. See previous report here

At the age of 13, Doris was hit and knocked down by a commercial motorcyclist in Bayelsa State. As a result of her severe injuries, she had her leg amputated.

The Theatre Arts graduate of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, also spoke about her journey in the movie industry, challenges and how a chance meeting with an actor and producer changed her career. Read below…

“I grew up in Bayelsa state and I wasn’t born with disability.
At age 13, I got knocked down by a motorcyclist while trying to cross the road. The accident led to the amputation of my right leg, and that moment changed the way I started seeing life. I didn’t take life seriously because I thought I was useless to my family and to the world, but my parents didn’t see me that way especially my mum. I never took my education seriously because I had no sense of belonging to the environment.
My mum was very supportive, she taught me how to fight for what I want and not to give up and that has helped me a lot in my career so the word ‘impossibility’ is not in my dictionary’.

I started accepting and appreciating God for my life when I found out about Nicholas James Vujicic, the motivational speaker without legs and arms. His videos were the inspiration that got me back on my foot, that was when I started fighting for what I wanted but the challenges were serious. I got an admission to study theatre arts at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, So many people discouraged me from studying the course, most of my course mates were like ‘what is she doing in this department’, wasn’t she aware of what this course is all about, can she dance or act with this her one leg?’ I usually felt bad but constantly encouraged myself because I knew want I wanted and I was ready to fight for it. I learnt how to dance on my own, in my room. Today I can act and dance with or without my support aid.
But the challenges continues.

I got into the movie industry 3 years ago through PRINCE OWELLE UGORJI who is an actor and also a movie producer. I met him on facebook and told him my passion for acting and dancing. He was touched by my story and promised to help me achieve my dreams. Few years later, he chatted me up and sent me a script. I was so happy that day, I went through the script and he gave me the lead role in the movie called Susanna. The movie Susanna brought us closer, he took me like a sister and promised to make my dreams come true. He didn’t ask for money or sex from me unlike one producer who only wants.

I’m not married yet. People always ask why I chose “Dorisstillsmiling” as my Instagram handle, I just can’t stop smiling and being happy, I love myself so much. Loosing one of my legs is destiny, the plan God has for me is bigger than my imagination, God has been using me to encourage so many people not to give up, no matter the condition, I might not be where I wish to be but I’m heading somewhere. The world is going to celebrate me someday, that I am sure of, as a society I don’t think we are doing enough to help people like myself. I hate that word ‘disabled’, we are not disabled we are just ‘differently abled.’ We have abilities and the society should see us this way not picturing us beggars.

For people thinking they are disabled, sweeties; here is the word for you “differently Abled”. We are special people, we do things differently that only makes us special, you can achieve your dreams if only you believe in yourself and don’t give up, don’t be discouraged, don’t stop fighting, fight for what you want, love yourself first before others can love you, don’t look down on yourself. I know it’s not easy but don’t forget life itself is not easy, good things comes to people that don’t give up, from today tell your friends and family that ‘Dorisstillsmiling’ said you are not disabled but differently abled. God loves you!”

source : https://www.made4naija.com/2018/06/i-wasnt-born-this-way-nigerian-amputee-shares-her-inspiring-story/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by MartinCorridon: 1:40pm On Jun 12, 2018
Very inspiring.

It was when an uncle's leg was amputated from the knee because of diabetes that he realized how important it is to stability.

For the first few months his anus was being cleaned for him after toilet.

Its when you lose something that you realize its worth. My uncle kept regretting he didn't watch his diet more because he had a family history and was warned.

Blindness is the worst. Imagine not being able to see again after seeing the world.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Yprinceola6(m): 1:40pm On Jun 12, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 12, 2018
Nice one it is good to keep encouraging oneself, you can get a prosthetic leg to look better because you are already beautiful.

15 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 12, 2018
She is really beautiful.

17 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by jamael(m): 1:41pm On Jun 12, 2018
Wonderful. Real strong woman.

8 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by tolexy007(m): 1:41pm On Jun 12, 2018
cry
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Yprinceola6(m): 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
At least you have brain and you can see people around you...

2 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by suprememoney(m): 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
So inspiring... God thank you for everything.

7 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by TEYA: 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
So even this amputee e get producers wey go wan exploit and chop am! Na wa for some Nigerian men!

5 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Opinionated: 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
Amazing story

1 Like

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
grin nice
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by deolurexy1(m): 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
Courage!

3 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by adebayo3449(m): 1:43pm On Jun 12, 2018
Hmm
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 12, 2018
she is pwetty embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 12, 2018
s
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by tunary(m): 1:51pm On Jun 12, 2018
How cen i reach this one now
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by itiswellandwell: 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2018
Inspiring
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 12, 2018
I bet it with you that her pussy will be very hot and very set
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Respect55(m): 1:57pm On Jun 12, 2018
Play the game and win n stop disturbing us here or don't u want to own 2 million plus tongue
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by megamank(m): 2:07pm On Jun 12, 2018
Still very doable....its just to position properly and slide in...at times the legs is even a disturbance during the movie.....

I am talking of Something else o....check another tread u will see what I am saying
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Houseofglam7(f): 2:08pm On Jun 12, 2018
cry cry cry
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by tundeport(m): 2:15pm On Jun 12, 2018
So inspire ,like to your friends,honestly
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Heineken(m): 2:34pm On Jun 12, 2018
nlandmodsaremad:
I bet it with you that her pussy will be very hot and very set
you typed this? Wow... A lady like u?
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2018
Heineken:
you typed this? Wow... A lady like u?

When I know how it is like here and how we normally feel...
Re: Doris Akonanya: “I Wasn’t Born This Way” – Amputee Nollywood Actress by ipobarecriminals: 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2018
sad We only PITY pipu in a PIT. U aren't in a PIT, or an object to be PITY.U are a LIVING TESTIMONY of GOD'S WONDERS.Pipu we get 2 legs are busy disturbing us daily how they misplaced their sch fees @bet9ja shop and begging us to contribute

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mr 2kay Is The Father Of Gifty's Daughter, Alisha (Photos) / Diamond Platnumz Buys White Rolls Royce For Himself (Pics) / Tuface Idibia Wants To Meet The Boy Who Did A Painting Of Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.