Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

Bill Clinton Says He Regrets Missed Chance To End North Korea Missile Programme - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bill Clinton Says He Regrets Missed Chance To End North Korea Missile Programme (265 Views)

Bill Clinton In Hospital For 'Non-COVID Infection' / I Flashed My Underwear To Attract Bill Clinton - Monica Lewinsky / Hillary Clinton Changes Her Twitter Bio After Chimamanda Adichie's Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bill Clinton Says He Regrets Missed Chance To End North Korea Missile Programme by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:07am On Jun 13, 2018
Bill Clinton says 'I regret' missed chance to 'end' North Korea missile program
By Samuel Chamberlain | Fox News

Will Kim Jong Un make a leader visit to the White House?
Secretary of State Pompeo says President Trump 'will only accept a good deal for the U.S.; John Roberts reports.

Former President Bill Clinton has said that he had a chance to "end" North Korea's missile program near the end of his second term, but was persuaded not to make the required trip to the totalitarian state by the late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.

"I had a chance at the end of my presidency -- I kind of regret this now, but I would do the same thing again [if] faced with it -- to end their missile program, but I would have had to go to North Korea," Clinton told NBC's "Today" in an interview that aired Monday.

"But I couldn't do that and finish the Middle East peace," Clinton went on. "And Arafat begged me not to go and then backed out on his promise."

FROM TRUMP TO CLINTON, HOW US PRESIDENTS HAVE DEALT WITH NORTH KOREA

When NBC's Craig Melvin pressed Clinton on whether he regretted not going to North Korea, the former president said: "I made the right decision. That is, if we had peace between the Palestinians and the Israelis, especially back then, it would have been better, but I regret that I didn't end their missile program."

Clinton did not elaborate on why Arafat asked him not to make the trip. The North Korean regime has long provided weapons and other support to Palestinian militants and Arafat made multiple trips to Pyongyang before his death in 2004.

Trump and other members of his administration have criticized past presidents, including Clinton, for being too tolerant of North Korea's nuclear ambitions. In his interview with NBC, Clinton pointed out: "We had eight years when I was president where, because of a deal that I made early [in 1994], there was no fissile material produced."

When asked about the upcoming Singapore summit between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Clinton said, "we should want this to succeed."

"We shouldn't be too quick to say it fails if it doesn't cross every 'T' and dot every 'I'," the former president added. "In these deals, you have to make a compromise, and so the test that the Americans should have when it's over is: If both sides do what they promise to do, will we be better off? If the other side doesn't, can we get out of this without more harm?

"If the answer to both those questions is yes, then we should say the summit was a success and worth doing."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/07/bill-clinton-says-regret-missed-chance-to-end-north-korea-missile-program.html

(1) (Reply)

Jordan King Jets To US To Meet Trump / Report: Princes Charles And William Refused To Meet With President Trump / Breaking: Suicide Bomber Kills Over 25 In Shi'ite Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.