Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,308 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia (19955 Views)

Osimhen & Boniface Beat Ronaldo As World Best Strikers By SPORTbible / Liverpool VS Mancity: 3 Key Battles Featuring Mane, De Bruyne, Vandijk, Sterling / Zenith Bank Delta Principals’ Cup Kicks Off October 31, 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by damiloladuke: 9:51am On Jun 14, 2018
The Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup kicks off today and the entire world is looking up to the host Russia to deliver the best of the biggest sporting event in the world.

According to PremiumTimes, there are three things that will constantly be highlighted by the media – Video Assistant Referee [VAR], racism, and goals.

VAR

FIFA has decided referees need help so they have conscripted more referees to become Video Assistant Referees [VAR] to help ensure that more often than not, the proper decisions are made on the pitch.

“If you see some assistant referee not raising the flag, it’s not because he’s making mistakes,” said Pierluigi Collina, the chairman of FIFA’s referees’ committee.

Collina added: “It’s because he’s respected the instruction to keep the flag down. They were told to keep the flag down when there is a tight offside incident and there could be a very promising attack or a goal-scoring opportunity because, if the assistant referee raises the flag, then everything is finished.”

In what many had called for – the need for technology to increase the efficiency of referees to get correct decisions -= this trial must succeed for many others to follow.

Racism

Bryan Idowu changed nationality last year and will represent Nigeria at Russia 2018.

He told Amkar Perm website in 2016, “…Then it was hinted to me that with my skin colour the path to the main team was unfeasible. The reason was the fans, who don’t like dark-skinned players.”

Racism in Russia is a fact, whether it would rear its head during this tournament is the question. As recent as March this year, Russian fans heckled some black players from France during a friendly match – a case for which FIFA fined Russia’s soccer federation $29,600.

Aleksandr Alayev, the Russian federation’s acting chief told Russia’s RIA Novosti news agency, Russia would make the persons responsible for the rude actions to pay and that the federation “will do everything possible to prevent the repetition of such incidents in the future.”

Goals

Football is about goals and will always be. The greatest cheer in the stadium and far away from the action across many television sets is when the net bulges.

The Technical Study Group for the 2014 World Cup revealed, “the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil was marked by top quality and attacking football, excellent players, and a positive general football philosophy.

“The teams’ objectives were to score and win matches instead of trying not to lose or concede. This led to a glut of goals, 171 in total at an impressive average of 2.67 goals per match, which matched the record set in France in 1998.”

The UEFA Champions League, with which many judge FIFA’s footballing extravaganza, also saw more attacking football, which led to more goals, and spectacular at that, being scored.

Will the matches in Russia be open and free flowing or will they be cagey and boring? The fans want to see goals!

https://lailasnews.com/3-key-things-you-need-to-understand-as-world-cup-kicks-off-in-russia/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Obainoneandonly(m): 10:06am On Jun 14, 2018
Russia and racism are like 5 &6.they just hate blacks with passion

7 Likes

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by DIYhackers: 12:09pm On Jun 14, 2018
Get ready to see many foul and offside goals in Russia

For free browsing data? Check my signature

4 Likes

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Xhakazette: 12:10pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hope to see more pitch invaders.
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by LazyNairalander(m): 12:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
4. Nigeria will not win again game.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE

1 Like

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
That racism thingy.
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Haphard(m): 12:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
Obainoneandonly:

you Don go the place b4 ahbi??

APROKO

5 Likes

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Donsilva64(m): 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
undecidedThe main concern is nigeria bringing the trophy home!

7 Likes

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by symbianDON(m): 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
good
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by AutoSpaNg: 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
jshd b
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by chillychill(f): 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
Obainoneandonly:

Buy wetin our ancestors collect from dem
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by JhyMedex: 12:13pm On Jun 14, 2018
thus world cup is gon b d best one yet!!..Im so pumped!!..

if dem do racism reach ur syd jst brk deir nose..simples!!

1 Like

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by adaksbullet: 12:13pm On Jun 14, 2018
O
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by idris4eva(m): 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
You can't take racism away from Russia which still makes it baffles me how they won the bid to host the world cup

I hope the likes of Senegal team won't be affected by the perception at the country rate of racial abuse

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by InteriorDecors: 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by IME1: 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
tongue
Is supporting Nigeria a thing of patriotism, faith or false hope?

For me it is faith, I pray Nigeria gets the world cup kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Opinionated: 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by lascopes(m): 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
Well, the warning to women still holds...we hope you women adhere to it to avoid those 3 things stated up there
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by XingXhang(m): 12:15pm On Jun 14, 2018
Nigeria will play 1-1 against Croatia

Nigeria 1-0 Iceland.

Nigeria 2-2 Argentina.
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by VIPERVENOM(m): 12:17pm On Jun 14, 2018
LazyNairalander:
4. Nigeria will not win again game.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE

5 Likes

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by LazyNairalander(m): 12:17pm On Jun 14, 2018
4. Nigeria game will be boring and filled will Mikelis Obism and Onazification.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by GEJfan1: 12:18pm On Jun 14, 2018
bookiesondebt:
I need to be banned at least for once
Mynd44
Puskin
Seun
All of you I mention above,ori yin Ti buru.

Ye are all stupid
watin u smoke? grin

2 Likes

Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Yomboy4ever(m): 12:19pm On Jun 14, 2018
Pls add dis one one pig has selected us for semi finals and the last but not the least our jersey is the best ooo
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by bookiesondebt: 12:20pm On Jun 14, 2018
GEJfan1:
watin u smoke? grin
Actually,I mixed codeine with cannabis come pour am inside one big baby oku bottle
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Blonchilli(m): 12:22pm On Jun 14, 2018
One thing is for sure, a dark horse always emerge in a World Cup. I'm team #DieManschraaft cool
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
do blacks love dem selves Africa vs african american, afonja vs Igbo, abok1 vs igbo, igala vs okun etc
Re: 3 Key Things You Need To Understand As World Cup Kicks Off In Russia by GEJfan1: 12:25pm On Jun 14, 2018
bookiesondebt:

Actually,I mixed codeine with cannabis come pour am inside one big baby oku bottle
o bob, make i epp u call ambulance

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hugo Gatti: If Messi Wants To Be The Best, He Has To Go To Madrid / Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali / Carlos Alcaraz Beats Novak Djokovic To Win Wimbledon Men's Singles Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.