Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29587 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 10, 2010
@eze, awo a demagogue? now i know u r jokin. ur comments follow no known reason or rhyme. it'd be best 2 ignore u. lipsrsealed
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 12:00am On Jun 11, 2010
EzeUche:

And you all don't? 

All I am hearing is Awolowo this and Awolowo that. But the only people who are saying this is you Yoruba. You will NEVER catch a northerner, or an Igbo saying such a thing.

He was simply was a tribal demagogue, nothing more and nothing less.

In case you missed it,

Nigeria's other regional Prime Minister, the demagogic, U.S.-educated Nnamdi ["Zik"] Azikiwe of the Ibo tribe to the east, lives under a cloud as a result of a financial scandal in his administration.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,894174,00.html
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by KnowAll(m): 9:42am On Jun 11, 2010
He was simply was a tribal demagogue, nothing more and nothing less

[size=14pt]Awolowo could not have being a tribal demagogue as Nigeria as it is constituted today never existed. What we had prior to 1967 state's creation where 3 or 4 nations in a forced and unbridled marriage. (Including Southern and Northern Cameroons)

Awolowo was an Odua nationalist of a proxy Odua State operating within the confines of Nigeria and the Cameroons, he was not a Nigerian nationalist as Nigeria was only a geographical expression.[/size]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 11, 2010
nulldev:

Here is a quote unedited from Awos Biography written prior to independence on he's rivalry with Zik which should shed a lot more light on the politics of the time and put it in its proper context:

An article written by Zik himself, published on the front page of the Pilot, and entitled: "'Football Iliad, 1940 Edition'", shocked many people. It was a big step forward in an insidious campaign which had gone on for more than two years on the pages of the Pilot. A football team composed of students of the Christ the King's College, Onitsha, came to Lagos to play a 'Win the War' football match against St Gregory's College. The CKC team from Onitsha defeated St Gregory's team by 5 goals to 4. To the ordinary man in the street, let alone the highly sophisticated elements, there was nothing extraordinary or unusual in one school or college defeating another in a game of soccer. But not so with Dr Azikiwe. He saw in the sporting exploits and triumph of the team from Onitsha the inherent superiority of the easterners over their opponents, and he went to very great pains to establish this fact, by means of careful choice of words and emphasis. These extracts from the article are relevant: And then to think of the great combination of the Spartan heroes who crossed the lordly Niger, journeyed through the good earth of Benin, hurried across the domains of the Oshemawe of Ondo, of the Atanla of Owo, of the Owa of Ilesha, of the Oni of Ife, of the Alake of Abeokuta in their invasion of these islands!
Who, but heroes of mighty brawn and exceptionally developed brain would have dared to make this invasion and to succeed in carrying to their River Niger home, the Golden Fleece of InterCollegiate Soccer Championship of the Eastern and Western Provinces?
Yet they came to Lagos, they saw the irresistible defence put up by their opponents, and they conquered impressively, convincingly, and were graceful even in victory!
Could their achievement be paralleled?
Would it not be better for me to leave the answer to the laps of the gods?

On 24 August 1940, however, the same CKC team played in Ibadan against the Olubadan XI in another 'Win the War' match. The CKC were beaten 3-2 by the Olubadan XI which were an undiluted Yoruba team. Apart from sending the news to the Daily service myself, I also saw to it that it was wired to the Pilot. It was after there had been clamours in the Daily service, in form of letters to the editor, that the news of this Ibadan match was published some two weeks later in the Pilot. Even then, it was a small item on the back page, and it was explained in it that the CKC team were already tired and that some of them were in fact limping, before they went into the field against Olubadan XI. This was of course untrue.
I said before that the CKC episode was a big step forward in an insidious campaign which had gone on for more than two years on the pages of the Pilot. One or two more instances will be given. By the time the Pilot had published for a year, an important feature of the paper had become manifest. The Igbos in particular were given inordinate publicity on the pages of the paper. Perhaps this was as it should be. The Igbo had never had a share in newspaper publicity before the advent of the Pilot. But equally so, no Yoruba man of the class of the Igbos publicised in the Pilot ever had a share of publicity in any paper either. In those days one had to be an outstanding politician, a big shot in society, or a well-connected person, for one's name to appear in the Nigerian Daily Times, Nigerian Daily Telegraph andLagos Daily News. Of course if you had a friend working in the news or composing section of a paper, no matter who you were, you might be slipped in. Names of people like myself appeared in the papers simply because we were agitators or free-lance journalists. All the same, it was generally agreed that the Igbos needed all the boosting they could get.But Dr Azikiwe went about it in a manner which disgusted those of us who were used to describing citizens of Nigeria as Nigerians or Africans, and regarding their achievements as reflecting credit on Nigeria, indeed Africa, as a whole. The following are typical of the titles of front page news items and of editorial articles in the Pilot.

1. ' Ibo Young Man to Sail to U.K.' is the heading of a frontpage story and picture on September 23, 1938. The young man is Mr Jaja Wachuku, now Speaker of Nigeria's House of Representatives.
2. '14th West African Student, 10th Nigerian, 8th Ibo in U.S.A.' Another front-page story on January 28, 1939. The 8th Ibo is Mr Nwafor Orizu, now Senator in Nigeria's Upper House.
3. 'Ibo Medical Student Passes Exam In First Class Honours.' Yet another front page story, on June 26, 1940, of the brilliant success of Dr S. O. Egwuatu.
4. Editorials:
i. ' A Model Union' ( August 8, 1938) in praise of the Ibibio State Union.
ii. 'One Year Ago' ( August 18, 1938) celebrating the first anniversary of the call to the Bar of the first Ibo lawyer, in the person of Mr Justice Louis Mbanefo, now Chief Justice of the Eastern Region High Court.
iii. 'The Ibo Are Coming' ( December 31, 1938) -- The very title is sufficiently indicative of the contents.

These are but a few examples of the publicity given to Igbos as a group. But as against these, the achievements of Yorubas and, in particular, the academic laurels of their scholars received, if at all, inconspicuous notice in the Pilot. When an Igbo did or was about to do something praiseworthy, he was invariably given a two-column headline and report in the Pilot, and was always described by his ethnic origin in the headlines. But when the Ph.D. degree of London University, indeed of any university for that matter, was conferred on the first Nigerian ever, the historic news was given a small singlecolumn space in the Pilot, and the headline read: 'Nigerian Economist Passes Ph.D. London.' The scholar concerned was Dr Fadipe, a Yoruba. As late as 1945, two Nigerian law students of Cambridge University, one Yoruba and one Igbo, passed the Law Tripos Examination. The Yoruba passed with second class honours (upper division), and the Igbo also passed with second class honours but in the lower division. The latter got front page publicity in the Pilot, but the former got a small space given to him on the back page a few days after the report of his Igbo colleague had appeared. As for outstanding Yoruba public men, they were all of them daubed as 'imperialist stooges' and ' Uncle Toms'.

The incessant acts of chest besting by Yoruba peeps about their imaginary academic superiority and inconsequential political encomiums lavished on anything Yoruba did not start at the advent of Internet.

I guess Azikiwe tried to contrarily elucidate the erroneous tales of greatness of Yoruba ethnic group that was being propagated by erratic politicians and frustrated juju musicians of that era.

Is there any better way to sarcastically debunk such conjectural and nonsensical claims of greatness than citing superior academic achievements of the kids from the eastern region of the Protectorates including the trashing of St. Gregory College, Lagos soccer team by the visiting team of Christ the King College, Onitsha?

The bolded part is another crap meant to deceive undiscerning onlooker. When the aforementioned article was written, there was no real estate called Nigeria. Pilot could not have committed such journalistic blunder to caption a headline with “Nigerian”.

What the author of above posted article purposefully omitted was West African Pilot ran full page obituary of Dr. Nathanial Akinremi Fadipe for four consecutive editions when he suddenly died in 1944.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by nulldev: 6:20pm On Jun 11, 2010
Nigeria did not exist? your special grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 6:35pm On Jun 11, 2010
nulldev:

Revisionism at work.

The most potent argument against Awolowo from some Igbo people have always been the carpet crossing episode in the Western house of Assembly, but having read all the posts on this thread and especially the blockbuster from nulldev, I have come to realise that, preventing Zik to become the premier of Western Region was the right thing to do.

Allowing him to become premier would have been tantamount to making EzeUche the governor of Oshun state!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2010
nulldev:

I guess you wanted me to believe that the so-called Awolowo’s free education was an immaculate hit. It does not look good on you judging from your perceived historical knowledge of the amalgamated Protectorates and Nigeria.  I must add that whoever wrote the alleged Time Magazine's article is a blatant idio.t
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Ibime(m): 10:59pm On Jun 11, 2010
Dede1 is an amusing fellow. . . . always enjoy reading his write-ups cos its packed with witty humour.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 11:48pm On Jun 11, 2010
Dede1:

The incessant acts of chest besting by Yoruba peeps about their imaginary academic superiority and inconsequential political encomiums lavished on anything Yoruba did not start at the advent of Internet.

I guess Azikiwe tried to contrarily elucidate the erroneous tales of greatness of Yoruba ethnic group that was being propagated by erratic politicians and frustrated juju musicians of that era.

Is there any better way to sarcastically debunk such conjectural and nonsensical claims of greatness than citing superior academic achievements of the kids from the eastern region of the Protectorates including the trashing of St. Gregory College, Lagos soccer team by the visiting team of Christ the King College, Onitsha?

The bolded part is another crap meant to deceive undiscerning onlooker. When the aforementioned article was written, there was no real estate called Nigeria. Pilot could not have committed such journalistic blunder to caption a headline with “Nigerian”.

What the author of above posted article purposefully omitted was West African Pilot ran full page obituary of Dr. Nathanial Akinremi Fadipe for four consecutive editions when he suddenly died in 1944.

As asserted by Time magazine, Zik was a tribalist and demagogue. The article was not written by a Yoruba man, not by a Nigerian, but by an independent writer and body thousands of miles away from the shores of Nigeria.

Like I said before, when they talk about African leaders, they mention and acknowledge Awolowo while Zik gets labeled a tribal leader and a corrupt demagogue.

And regardless of your meaningless regurgitation and spin, the pilot article solidly confirmed the Time magazines demagogue assertions and contentions, write on point.

Pleas go find some other BS to peddle,
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 2:19pm On Jun 12, 2010
babapupa:

As asserted by Time magazine, Zik was a tribalist and demagogue. The article was not written by a Yoruba man, not by a Nigerian, but by an independent writer and body thousands of miles away from the shores of Nigeria.

Like I said before, when they talk about African leaders, they mention and acknowledge Awolowo while Zik gets labeled a tribal leader and a corrupt demagogue.

And regardless of your meaningless regurgitation and spin, the pilot article solidly confirmed the Time magazines demagogue assertions and contentions, write on point.

Pleas go find some other BS to peddle,

You are known on this forum as a wily slowpoke. I am of the view your blind obstinacy due to tribal pressure does not permeate to other human endeavors. The moronic gauge of the author of the alleged article published by Time Magazine is beyond the pale of comprehension.

It does not occur to you the author of the conjectural crap foolishly drew blank on the chronicle order of events in the amalgamated Protectorates. Anyway had your miserable life depended on sniffing out the literary blunders committed on the aforementioned Time Magazine’s article, your poor parents would have been grieving for loss of a child.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 2:25pm On Jun 12, 2010
Ibime:

Dede1 is an amusing fellow. . . . always enjoy reading his write-ups cos its packed with witty humour.

Bros. you known as well as I do that truth is witty.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 2:27pm On Jun 12, 2010
Dede1:

Bros. you known as well as I do that truth is witty.

Thank God they did not tell you to make any of the banners for the world cup. You would have misspelled every country's name. Anyhow let us thank God, for our founding fathers today when Argentina sees the might of Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AndreUweh(m): 4:01pm On Jun 12, 2010
SEFAGO:

Thank God they did not tell you to make any of the banners for the world cup. You would have misspelled every country's name. Anyhow let us thank God, for our founding fathers today when Argenti[b]na sees the might of Nigeria[/b].
It has been Enyeama vs Argentina so far.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 4:05pm On Jun 12, 2010
haha, word. I agree enyeama is carrying the whole team in his head. see why we dont want you guys to leave tongue
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AndreUweh(m): 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2010
SEFAGO:

haha, word. I agree enyeama is carrying the whole team in his head. see why we dont want you guys to leave tongue
You guys.
Have I ever said I want to leave?.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2010
SEFAGO:

Thank God they did not tell you to make any of the banners for the world cup. You would have misspelled every country's name. Anyhow let us thank God, for our founding fathers today when Argentina sees the might of Nigeria.

I hope you do not embark on drinking spree for being able to understand the connotation of an English word.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 7:58pm On Jun 12, 2010
Dede1:

You are known on this forum as a wily slowpoke. I am of the view your blind obstinacy due to tribal pressure does not permeate to other human endeavors. The moronic gauge of the author of the alleged article published by Time Magazine is beyond the pale of comprehension.

It does not occur to you the author of the conjectural crap foolishly drew blank on the chronicle order of events in the amalgamated Protectorates. Anyway had your miserable life depended on sniffing out the literary blunders committed on the aforementioned Time Magazine’s article, your poor parents would have been grieving for loss of a child.

Must you bore me with this nonsense?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 9:41am On Jun 13, 2010
nulldev:

The 'Awo stole 1951 election' story is a fabrication that I see repeated (quite often) not only on this thread but all over this forum, as I said under one of the many threads that this was parroted on, read the article below on NVS which analysed the 51 elections with candidate names and party affiliations.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/rebutting-ralph-uwechues-lie.html

For those allergic to reading, the long and short is this:

The total tally for the 1951 poll in the 80-member Western Regional Assembly was as follows: Action Group 38; Independent/AG 15; NCNC 24; Independent/NCNC 3. Three members of the NCNC who had been elected to the House changed party allegiance that day ahead of the House of Representatives vote. They were: Chief SY Kesington-Momoh, JG Ako, and Awodi Orisaremi, from Urhobo and Kukuruku Divisions.

Pray tell, how those that 'introduce tribalism into Nigeria'

Bear in mind the following

1. Egbe Omo oduduwa was formed years after the Ibo state union was formed with Zik as president.
2. The Nigerian youth movement of which Awo and Zik were members was dissolved as a result of the fallout of an election in 1941 between Samuel Akinsanya (supported by Zik) and Ernest Ikoli supported by Awo. Ikoli won said election and Zik's accusation at the time? That it was an Eko conspiracy against Ijebus! never mind that Awo was Ijebu.

Here is a quote unedited from Awos Biography written prior to independence on he's rivalry with Zik which should shed a lot more light on the politics of the time and put it in its proper context:

An article written by Zik himself, published on the front page of the Pilot, and entitled: "'Football Iliad, 1940 Edition'", shocked many people. It was a big step forward in an insidious campaign which had gone on for more than two years on the pages of the Pilot. A football team composed of students of the Christ the King's College, Onitsha, came to Lagos to play a 'Win the War' football match against St Gregory's College. The CKC team from Onitsha defeated St Gregory's team by 5 goals to 4. To the ordinary man in the street, let alone the highly sophisticated elements, there was nothing extraordinary or unusual in one school or college defeating another in a game of soccer. But not so with Dr Azikiwe. He saw in the sporting exploits and triumph of the team from Onitsha the inherent superiority of the easterners over their opponents, and he went to very great pains to establish this fact, by means of careful choice of words and emphasis. These extracts from the article are relevant: And then to think of the great combination of the Spartan heroes who crossed the lordly Niger, journeyed through the good earth of Benin, hurried across the domains of the Oshemawe of Ondo, of the Atanla of Owo, of the Owa of Ilesha, of the Oni of Ife, of the Alake of Abeokuta in their invasion of these islands!
Who, but heroes of mighty brawn and exceptionally developed brain would have dared to make this invasion and to succeed in carrying to their River Niger home, the Golden Fleece of InterCollegiate Soccer Championship of the Eastern and Western Provinces?
Yet they came to Lagos, they saw the irresistible defence put up by their opponents, and they conquered impressively, convincingly, and were graceful even in victory!
Could their achievement be paralleled?
Would it not be better for me to leave the answer to the laps of the gods?

On 24 August 1940, however, the same CKC team played in Ibadan against the Olubadan XI in another 'Win the War' match. The CKC were beaten 3-2 by the Olubadan XI which were an undiluted Yoruba team. Apart from sending the news to the Daily service myself, I also saw to it that it was wired to the Pilot. It was after there had been clamours in the Daily service, in form of letters to the editor, that the news of this Ibadan match was published some two weeks later in the Pilot. Even then, it was a small item on the back page, and it was explained in it that the CKC team were already tired and that some of them were in fact limping, before they went into the field against Olubadan XI. This was of course untrue.
I said before that the CKC episode was a big step forward in an insidious campaign which had gone on for more than two years on the pages of the Pilot. One or two more instances will be given. By the time the Pilot had published for a year, an important feature of the paper had become manifest. The Igbos in particular were given inordinate publicity on the pages of the paper. Perhaps this was as it should be. The Igbo had never had a share in newspaper publicity before the advent of the Pilot. But equally so, no Yoruba man of the class of the Igbos publicised in the Pilot ever had a share of publicity in any paper either. In those days one had to be an outstanding politician, a big shot in society, or a well-connected person, for one's name to appear in the Nigerian Daily Times, Nigerian Daily Telegraph andLagos Daily News. Of course if you had a friend working in the news or composing section of a paper, no matter who you were, you might be slipped in. Names of people like myself appeared in the papers simply because we were agitators or free-lance journalists. All the same, it was generally agreed that the Igbos needed all the boosting they could get.But Dr Azikiwe went about it in a manner which disgusted those of us who were used to describing citizens of Nigeria as Nigerians or Africans, and regarding their achievements as reflecting credit on Nigeria, indeed Africa, as a whole. The following are typical of the titles of front page news items and of editorial articles in the Pilot.

1. ' Ibo Young Man to Sail to U.K.' is the heading of a frontpage story and picture on September 23, 1938. The young man is Mr Jaja Wachuku, now Speaker of Nigeria's House of Representatives.
2. '14th West African Student, 10th Nigerian, 8th Ibo in U.S.A.' Another front-page story on January 28, 1939. The 8th Ibo is Mr Nwafor Orizu, now Senator in Nigeria's Upper House.
3. 'Ibo Medical Student Passes Exam In First Class Honours.' Yet another front page story, on June 26, 1940, of the brilliant success of Dr S. O. Egwuatu.
4. Editorials:
i. ' A Model Union' ( August 8, 1938) in praise of the Ibibio State Union.
ii. 'One Year Ago' ( August 18, 1938) celebrating the first anniversary of the call to the Bar of the first Ibo lawyer, in the person of Mr Justice Louis Mbanefo, now Chief Justice of the Eastern Region High Court.
iii. 'The Ibo Are Coming' ( December 31, 1938) -- The very title is sufficiently indicative of the contents.

These are but a few examples of the publicity given to Igbos as a group. But as against these, the achievements of Yorubas and, in particular, the academic laurels of their scholars received, if at all, inconspicuous notice in the Pilot. When an Igbo did or was about to do something praiseworthy, he was invariably given a two-column headline and report in the Pilot, and was always described by his ethnic origin in the headlines. But when the Ph.D. degree of London University, indeed of any university for that matter, was conferred on the first Nigerian ever, the historic news was given a small singlecolumn space in the Pilot, and the headline read: 'Nigerian Economist Passes Ph.D. London.' The scholar concerned was Dr Fadipe, a Yoruba. As late as 1945, two Nigerian law students of Cambridge University, one Yoruba and one Igbo, passed the Law Tripos Examination. The Yoruba passed with second class honours (upper division), and the Igbo also passed with second class honours but in the lower division. The latter got front page publicity in the Pilot, but the former got a small space given to him on the back page a few days after the report of his Igbo colleague had appeared. As for outstanding Yoruba public men, they were all of them daubed as 'imperialist stooges' and ' Uncle Toms'.

May you live in good health,

I am enlightened.
We now know why Ziik was a big failure,

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by KnowAll(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2010
[size=14pt]To the Gentleman who keeps on bringing up my reverred Uncle Gani into a discuss that involves Awolowo, a human right activist is diffrent from a Politician. To those who believe in re-carnation if Gani comes back to this life a hundred times he would still pursue the career he is well known for,  a lawyer and a Human right activist. Meanwhile if Awolowo comes back a 1000 times he would come back as a Politician . These two individuals are poles apart and comparing them to each other is tantanmount to a total loss of focus of the subject matter, I see it as an individual adventure pursueing an uninspired desertation into the unkonwn, a task or exercise that would be of a great value and contribution to Gani's biography but would be out of place in the poltical hotbed of Western Nigerian politics.

Whilst Gani can affect a few hundreds or probably a few thousand's lives fighting for their rights in the courts and in return recieve good judgement overturning court rulings against his clients which is commendable,  the wholesome effect of a positive and effective Politician is overwhelming,  Gani himself is a product of Awolowo's free education, why would anyone think Gani in his infinite wisdom would want to bite the hand that fed him.

Had it being we had an in-effective leader in the West, people like Gani might not be the celebrated legal luminary we all know today. We should learn to give credit where credit is due. Awolowo with his free education touched the lives of millions, which would in turn touched the lives of multi-millions of people born and un-born,  which would also finally touch the lives of billions in the years and the genations to come.

A positive Education start-up goes a long way in educating one's immediate family who in turn recipocate with the same token to generations yet to be born. It would appear the contribution of Awolowo is an on-going process (Work In Progrss) passing from one generation to the other, this feat to say the least is incompareable in the annals of Nigerian history.  

For ANYONE to have a divergent or a contrary view to this position,  is to deliberately choose to dwell and wallow in the bowels of insubordination, syscophancy and irrelevancy, an insition OR quest I would not bestow on my arch enemies let alone to some of the few bright sparks on this forum. For those who have contributed untelligible to this discuss u are forgiving for not seeing the larger than life picture your ignorance might not be tolerated next time if it becomes clear u are a repeat offender.  [/size]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by daniellle(f): 1:23am On Jun 14, 2010
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by seanet02: 6:14am On Jun 14, 2010
Stop disturbing your brains ibos azikwe is no match for AWOLOWO, they are two different men, one a coward who surrenders power to the military, the other a courageous man who dare the military including that senseless rebel call ojukwu the bingo.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AndreUweh(m): 9:05am On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:

Stop disturbing your brains ibos azikwe is no match for AWOLOWO, they are two different men, one a coward who surrenders power to the military, the other a courageous man who dare the military including that senseless rebel call ojukwu the bingo.
The above should not be a concern to your wasted life. You should pay attention to your wretched family's daily activities. You castrated maggot.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 9:40am On Jun 14, 2010
^^^^
Do not waste your time with these punks. There is no force that can stop an inherent loudmouth. It is astonishment that most of these peeps could not discern an unpardonable flaw in the alleged Time Magazine’s article.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by nulldev: 9:49am On Jun 14, 2010
Tuyis:

Revisionism at work.

The most potent argument against Awolowo from some Igbo people have always been the carpet crossing episode in the Western house of Assembly, but having read all the posts on this thread and especially the blockbuster from nulldev, I have come to realise that, preventing Zik to become the premier of Western Region was the right thing to do.

Allowing him to become premier would have been tantamount to making EzeUche the governor of Oshun state!

Thats the thing though, he was not prevented from anything! what happened at the election directly parallels what happened after the last UK general elections. The AG had a majority (38 seats) but not the numbers needed to form a government on its own (41) so needed 3 independent candidates to form government, somehow NCNC with 24 seats looking to form a patched up coalition with independents was morally cheated!

This parallels a scenario where Labour claims it was cheated of power because they wanted to strike a deal with the Lib dems. Laughable stuff
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 10:08am On Jun 14, 2010
^^^^

Thus on 15th June 1951 representatives of the interest groups in Ibadan met and decided to set up a party. They called this party the Ibadan Peoples Party, IPP. Its founding chairman was Chief A. M. A. Akinloye. The other leaders of the IPP were: S. A. Akinyemi, S. O. Lanlehin, Moyo Aboderin, Samuel Lana, D. T. Akinbiyi, S. Ajunwon, S. Aderonmu, R. S. Baoku, Akin Allen and Akinniyi Olunloyo. The IPP gave the leaders of the Egbe Omo Oduduwa its first shock during the 1951 regional elections, where the AG had expected that as the “party of the Yorubas” it would sweep the elections clean, and with ease, at all levels to form the regional government. When the election into the Western Region House of Assembly was completed in November 1951, the Action Group won only 29 out of the 80 seats contested. In fact, the AG lost in all the constituencies in Ibadan, the capital city of the Western Region and in Lagos, the capital of Nigeria.
In Ibadan, the IPP won all the six seats, with the following as the elected members: Chief Adisa Akinloye, Mr. Moyo Aboderin, Mr. S. O. Lanlehin, Alhaji Adegoke Adelabu, Mr. D.T. Akinbiyi and Mr. Samuel Akinwale Akinyemi. In Lagos NCNC won all the five seats with the following as the elected members into the Western Region House of Assembly: Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Dr. Ibiyinka Olorun-Nimbe, Prince Adeleke Adedoyin, Haruna Popoola Adebola and T.O.S Benson. Leading members of the AG like Chief Rotimi Williams, Dr. Maja and Chief M. A. Ogun were defeated.
Faced with this situation, the Egbe Omo Oduduwa moved out swiftly to get 20 elected members on the ticket of the smaller parties and independent candidates to join the Action Group, to tilt the balance in favour of the party, against its primary opponent, the NCNC. Some of the leaders of the small parties were offered ministerial appointments to join the AG without the approval of their constituencies. One of them was Chief Adisa Akinloye who was appointed Minister of Agriculture and Natural Resources when he swayed four out of his five colleagues in the IPP to join the AG. The only IPP member who refused to join the AG was Alhaji Adegoke Adelabu, who, instead, joined the NCNC.
But the Ibadan electorate did not take kindly the defection of its elected representative on the platform of IPP to the Action Group. They used the opportunity of the 1954 Federal elections and the 1956 regional elections to express their dislike of the Action Group. In the 1954 Federal elections, the electorate in the Western Region voted for the NCNC against the Action Group; the NCNC won 22 seats into the House of Representatives and the AG secured 19 seats. In Ibadan, the capital city of the Western Region the ruling party AG secured just one out of the five federal seats in the area. The victory was however marginal in terms of the votes cast. For example the AG candidate Gbadegesin Adeniran obtained 1,713 votes while his NCNC opponent got 1,587 votes, giving a victory margin of just 126 votes. This contrasted with the margin of not less than 50% given to the AG candidates by the NCNC. For example, in Ibadan South Federal constituency, the NCNC candidate Alhaji Adegoke Adelabu polled 5,485 votes against AG's Mr. S. O. Ladipo's 1,256 votes, thus giving a huge margin of 4,229 votes. (P.172)
This dislike of the AG by Ibadan electorate was further demonstrated in the 1956 regional elections, which was held on Thursday 26th May 1956. This election was held after the AG was in office for five solid years, when it said it had implemented significant social programmes, particularly in education. From the results of the election, the AG lost one seat in 1956 as compared to 1951. The results for 1956 were: 48 seats to the AG and 32 for the NCNC. But if you examine the actual votes cast, the margin between the AG and the NCNC was just 39,270 votes; the AG got 623,826 votes (48.3%) while the NCNC got 584,556 (45.3%).
What astonished the AG in 1956 was the devastating defeat it received in the hands of the NCNC in key Yoruba cities of Ibadan and Oyo. While in Oyo the AG managed to secure 2 out of the five seats against NCNC's 3 seats, in Ibadan the story was different. Ibadan had eight seats into the Western Region House of Assembly. The AG got just one seat. In this case the victory margin was just 267 votes; in Ibadan West regional constituency, O. A. Adedeji of AG secured 5,010 votes to defeat I. A. Akinyele of NCNC who polled 4,743 votes. This was the smallest margin of victory in the election, in Ibadan. Chief Adisa Akinloye, who moved over from IPP to AG and got appointed a minister also contested in his Ibadan North-East constituency on the platform of the AG. He was defeated with a wide margin of 2,734 votes by Lekan Salami of the NCNC.

You can help yourself with above bit of history.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by seanet02: 10:26am On Jun 14, 2010
@andreuweh, its your forefathers that are castrated. Seems you dont know we the YORUBA people very well, we silensed your rebel leader ojukwu the bingo. A single idea from our leader finished your senseless war, did i hear you said castrated maggot? Ask ojukwu the bingo ibos have fertile senses not talk of ?? Your senseless are gone the day ojukwu the bingo started that war. YORUBA holds the ace. Stop disgracing your self ojukwu the bingo.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by nulldev: 11:34am On Jun 14, 2010
@Dede1, so now the AG 'stole' independents? grin I taught the accusation was NCNC members mass crossing over to AG?

By the way, the Ibadan peoples party members like S. O. Lanlehin and Akinloye were original founders at the AG! Their names are on the minutes for the inaugural AG meeting.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AndreUweh(m): 12:39pm On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:

@andreuweh, its your forefathers that are castrated. Seems you dont know we the YORUBA people very well, we silensed your rebel leader ojukwu the bingo. A single idea from our leader finished your senseless war, did i hear you said castrated maggot? Ask ojukwu the bingo ibos have fertile senses not talk of ?? Your senseless are gone the day ojukwu the bingo started that war. YORUBA holds the ace. Stop disgracing your self ojukwu the bingo.
What is the point for you shameless maggot to run your stinking mouth more. Why not concentrate on the illiterate female almajiris ravaging your land. Monkey, do you think everyone admires your stupidity?. Your chat all the time is crap you sadass, jobless freak who posts absolute bullock. Get a life you mystical beast.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 1:05pm On Jun 14, 2010
nulldev:

@Dede1, so now the AG 'stole' independents? grin I taught the accusation was NCNC members mass crossing over to AG?

By the way, the Ibadan peoples party members like S. O. Lanlehin and Akinloye were original founders at the AG! Their names are on the minutes for the inaugural AG meeting.

Do not force me to doubt the validity of the Awolowo’s so-called free educational program. Granted you can be a party member today and by tomorrow you are wearing a different party identity. I shall be hard pressed to believe that IPP founders were signatories at Owo on March 21, 1951 during the formation of AG and three months later in Ibadan forming another political party. It appears like all Yoruba people are unequaled magicians.

The crux of the matter was the IPP candidates contested the election under the platform of NCNC as IPP was not registered as a national political party. There were members of SL Akintola’s UPP who contested under the platform of AG. If S. O. Lanlehin and Akinloye were original founders at the AG as you would want us to believe, what stopped them from contesting election under the platform of AG?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by seanet02: 1:33pm On Jun 14, 2010
@andreuweh folks like you belong to the barren ports, you see you are so daft that you did not know the almajiris are mainly northerners, you are blowing grammar here when in actual sense you may not have passed waec at one sitting, i wonder how brain scrabs like you got to know of nairaland? You deserved to be in the zoo. Animal suck
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by KnowAll(m): 1:49pm On Jun 14, 2010
Do not force me to doubt the validity of the Awolowo’s so-called free educational program. Granted you can be a party member today and by tomorrow you are wearing a different party identity. I shall be hard pressed to believe that IPP founders were signatories at Owo on March 21, 1951 during the formation of AG and three months later in Ibadan forming another political party. It appears like all Yoruba people are unequaled magicians.

The crux of the matter was the IPP candidates contested the election under the platform of NCNC as IPP was not registered as a national political party. There were members of SL Akintola’s UPP who contested under the platform of AG. If S. O. Lanlehin and Akinloye were original founders at the AG as you would want us to believe, what stopped them from contesting election under the platform of AG?

[size=14pt]But this rather un-connected insight into a labyrinth o f political parties springing up in the 1950’s, what has that got to do with the fact that AG, whether with a simple majority OR an overwhelming majority, the life changing and the generational impacting policy of free education was still inaugurated by Messer Awolowo and the Akinloye’s and the Adelakun’s of this world’s sons and daughters were also beneficiaries to this rear largesse from a politician to her subjects.

Your postulation here does not add or devalue the contribution of Awolowo, what one observes in you is a man with a deep interest in the politics of Western Nigeria by bringing in all these un-seen documents into the foreshore, perhaps u are pursuing a self fulfilling dissertation which is un-warranted to this discuss here but might help those who has made reading irrelevant docs a past-time worthy to indulge in.

I don’t see any connection between the  tirade u wrote up there and what Awo achieved OR better still did not achieve, OR, AM I, missing something.[/size]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by nulldev: 2:34pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Knowall, I posted the quotes and the links here not for the ethnic 1-upping some Muppet's on here are engaged in but to separate fact from the story land stuff that keeps getting regurgitated.

That Awo 'stole' an election has gone from the 'dem say dem say' claptrap it really is and is now stated as fact.  Actual facts:

1. AG declared their candidates on the day of the election, NCNC did not (they also got party members to sign their party affiliations afterwards which they did)
2. The electoral officer declared AG winner of the election BEFORE parliament opened
3. Zik wrote a congratulatory letter to the AG a few days after the election

The claim that IPP members (some of which had NO NCNC affiliations) stood the 1951 elections as NCNC members is laughable, Never mind that the IPP itself was created specifically to run in the 1951 election AS INDEPENDENTS TO REPRESENT Ibadan interests as alluded to in the article Dede1 posted.  Anyone actually interested in learning about our history and answers to the 1951 election issue can look at the footnotes on page 116 and 117 from Richard Sklars work on the 3 political parties of the time (posted the link below)

Dede1 can take a look at some of the 'magic' on the link as well as you will clearly see S. O. Lanlehin's name as an AG member at the very first meeting of the AG

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Oi0aVR4YkmUC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

David Mark, Lamido, Dankwambo To Step Down For Tambuwal ‘within 48 Hours’ - SR / INEC Includes Zamfara APC Candidates On The Ballot / Buhari To Swear In Justice Ariwoola As CJN Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.