Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,167 members, 7,807,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader (70409 Views)

Boko Haram: I Regret Giving Birth Abubakar Shekau - Mother Laments / Abubakar Shekau Reaching Out To Mediators For Ceasefire / Abubakar Shekau: US Offers $7m Bounty For The Capture Of Boko Haram Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by 13Ebiscoo: 10:33pm On Jun 14, 2018
Driving west from the city of Maiduguri, Nigeria, the roads get narrower as the towns get smaller. Along the road lie bullet-ridden buildings and security check points as vigilante members patrol gates, all signs of a region where people are trying their best to protect themselves.

After three hours VOA ends up in Yobe state, at a village called Shekau. Here, elders and community leaders take VOA to meet Falmata Abubakar, who they say is the mother of Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau.

His father was a local district imam before passing away a few years ago.

Falmata said she had never spoken to journalists before VOA approached her, and she does not know where her son is hiding.

“I don’t now if he’s alive or dead. I don’t know. It’s only God who knows. For 15 years I haven’t seen him,” she said.

Concealing their hometown

People here say they often hide the fact that they are from Abubakar Shekau’s hometown because others may fear they have Boko Haram connections.

Falmata says her son left Shekau as a boy to continue his Islamic education in Maiduguri, a center of religious studies for hundreds of years.

Shekau was an almajiri. In the generations-old tradition, almajirai are sent off by their parents to study the Quran in schools locally known as a tsangaya, where a teacher coaches the dozens, sometimes hundreds of male students, to memorize the entire Quran.

Almajirai beg on the streets for food, and it is believed that Shekau did the same. At some point in his studies, Shekau, according to his mother, met Mohammed Yusuf, the founder of Boko Haram, who condemned Western education as sinful. Falmata says her son was brainwashed.

'Different characters'

“Since Shekau met with Mohammed Yusuf, I didn’t see him again,” she told VOA.

“Yes, he’s my son and every mother loves her son, but we have different characters,” she said. “He brought a lot of problem to many people. Where can I meet him to tell him that these things he is doing is very bad? He brought many problems to many people, but I am praying for God to show him the good way.”

Mohammed Yusuf was killed by Nigerian security agents in 2009, and Abubakar Shekau then took over as the leader.

Shekau is accused of leading an insurgency that has killed more than 30,000 people in northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad region.

Destroying schools is at the heart of Boko Haram’s manifesto, and the group has attacked more than 1,400 schools, according to the United Nations Children’s Fund.

Members of the group invaded the first primary school in northeastern Nigeria in 2010 and 2013. They killed the principal and secretary.

In 2014, Boko Haram killed 59 students at a federal school in Buni Yadi, Yobe State. The school is being rebuilt but the expansive campus is barren, a reminder of one of the bloodiest school attacks in Nigeria’s history.

In February of this year, the sect kidnapped more than 100 students from the girls’ secondary school in the town of Dapchi.

The insurgents returned the students a month later, but held onto Leah Sharibu, reportedly because she refused to convert to Islam in exchange for her freedom. Her mother Rebecca and her brother say they feel in their hearts that Leah is still alive.

It’s the 2014 abduction of the Chibok Girls from their school that brought Boko Haram into the international spotlight for unprecedented condemnation. The Bring Back Our Girls activists are still demanding the freedom of at least 100 Chibok Girls, including Dorcas Yakubu who turned 20 years old this week, marking her birthday while in Boko Haram captivity. In 2016, Dorcas appeared in a proof of life video released by the terrorists.

Falmata says she can never curse her son, but he has become someone who she doesn’t recognize anymore.

“He just took his own character and went away,” she said. “This is not the character I gave him. I don’t know what this type of behavior is. It’s only God who knows.”

Source: https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.voanews.com/amp/4438375.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by sarrki(m): 10:35pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hmmm

3 Likes

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by sarrki(m): 10:35pm On Jun 14, 2018
Seriously I doubt if he’s born of a woman

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Optional09: 10:42pm On Jun 14, 2018
All this guys are terrorists. The ones that are not terrorists are yet to mature

156 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by SalamRushdie: 10:43pm On Jun 14, 2018
Shekaus mother is granting interviews while Nnamdi Kanus parents are still missing ..what a fair country

539 Likes 61 Shares

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Jesusloveyou: 10:47pm On Jun 14, 2018
Terrorist Shekau is dead, and
Terrorist nnamdi kanu is dead.
If they are both alive, I challenge both of them to show face before October 1st.
Optional09:
All this guys are terrorists. The ones that are not terrorists are yet to mature
SalamRushdie:
Shekaus mother is granting interviews while Nnamdi Kanus parents are still missing ..what a fair country
this is the first time the terrorist mother is granting interview and condemning his terrorist son.

But the jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of biafra terrorist parents was supporting their terrorist son to bring down the country in 2mins.
And to bring 2m jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of biafra to Abuja to take over ask rock.

185 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Aare2050(m): 11:10pm On Jun 14, 2018
K

1 Like

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by veacea: 11:10pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hmmm

3 Likes

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by nrexzy: 11:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
Who found her?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
angry
Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by TheKingIsHere: 11:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
sarrki:
Seriously I doubt if he’s born of a woman

If he is not born of a woman, who come born am?

Some of you just like to make stupiid comments.

114 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Bossontop(m): 11:13pm On Jun 14, 2018
undecided
The man that has been killed many times according to dis guy but is still alive

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by zone51: 11:13pm On Jun 14, 2018
Uzo Uzo

1 Like

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Dutchey(m): 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by valgbo(m): 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
Let them not victimize the woman

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by pol23: 11:15pm On Jun 14, 2018
How are we sure the Nigha is Alive.
I think the name Sheakau is now a title for Boko haram leader.
Sheakau has been killed twice now,yet There's still Sheakau...
#Endbokoharam
#EndFulaniherdsmen
#EndSars
#EndApc
#EndBuhari.
Get your PVC first before complaining about Buhari rigging Elections.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by ladyF(f): 11:15pm On Jun 14, 2018
This is what you get when you don't train your child properly..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Tonimordred(m): 11:16pm On Jun 14, 2018
See shekau mouth like he-goat that sucks she-goat piss

5 Likes

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by CertifiedA: 11:16pm On Jun 14, 2018
Oops

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by sddiamond: 11:17pm On Jun 14, 2018
Children everywhere

Jesusloveyou:
Terrorist Shekau is dead, and
Terrorist nnamdi kanu is dead.
If they are both alive, I challenge both of them to show face before October 1st. this is the first time the terrorist mother is granting interview and condemning his terrorist son.

But the jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of biafra terrorist parents was supporting their terrorist son to bring down the country in 2mins.
And to bring 2m jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of biafra to Abuja to take over ask rock.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Paperwhite(m): 11:18pm On Jun 14, 2018
"Shekau was an almajiri....in schools locally known as a tsangaya, where a teacher coaches......male students, to memorize the entire Quran.......Falmata says her son was brainwashed.
He just took his own character and went away, she said.This is not the character I gave him. I don’t know what this type of behavior is. It’s only God who knows.”

Only the naive fellas who dont really know what fanatic islam is all about that will believe this shit being spewed by Shekau's mother. undecided

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by kingthreat(m): 11:18pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hope he doesn't kill her for being interviewed by his enemies

3 Likes

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by nwakibie3(m): 11:22pm On Jun 14, 2018
SalamRushdie:

Dont mind them. I'm sure federal govt is giving her vip treatment

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by morakakin(m): 11:24pm On Jun 14, 2018
ojun50:
I want to join him in this business so we can expend
what? shocked
Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 14, 2018
shocked
Re: Meet Falmata Abubakar, Shekau’s Mother Speaks On Whereabout Of Boko Haram Leader by nabegibeg: 11:27pm On Jun 14, 2018

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sen Ifeanyi Ubah Restores Peace Between Igbos And Yorubas In Lagos State / SWAT Begins Training Of 400 Personnel / Abba Kyari: NDLEA Releases Video Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.