Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate (24898 Views)

How Did You Tell Your Parents You Want To Marry? And What Was Their Reaction? / What Trait Did You inherit From Your Parents? / 12 Types Of Parents You See In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 17, 2018
Not teaching me the value of money from childhood.

16 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by justmi1: 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2018
Never being around... last saw my dad in 2008, mum 2013... both abroad. During the time, I got admission into school, did IT, graduated, did NYSC, worked for 3 years now, and rounding up a post graduate program. Business and marriage na him remain. Been on my own. I would NEVER leave my kids, they go where I go.(PS. They didn't neglect me, but presence is priceless)
The values they instilled in me, kept me going.

21 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by ashjay001(m): 7:53pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mofpearl:
Can't think of anything right now but I want to raise my kids to be assertive. I want to raise my kids to have a mind of their own, speak their minds, stand up for themselves, and understand that respect isn't by age.

Oshe!

Been looking for that word, ASSERTIVE kiss

Living away from me. Already, failed at that.sad

1 Like

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by Zimmermann(m): 7:55pm On Jun 17, 2018
Scolding too much over trivial tins undecided

9 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by Umartins1(m): 7:56pm On Jun 17, 2018
The way I was raised. I was misunderstood as a young boy. My childhood and adolescence memories are what I'll try for my children not to experience.

9 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by Cannonleo(m): 7:56pm On Jun 17, 2018
The importance of apology,

Even when they made mistakes, or errors in sending me errands and retracted ,they never apologized , my parents always felt they were always right even when the situation turned out in my own way or against there wishes. Affected my dealings with people combined with the fact that they were extremely over protective and that contributed to making me an introvert.

Still I love them to pieces cos they made sacrifices for me

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by jayjaymay(m): 7:57pm On Jun 17, 2018
hes a talkative, the type that wud disclose his family innermost issue with outsiders,,

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by oisujeh(m): 7:58pm On Jun 17, 2018
chibu4u2:
Over flogging my kids....ewo!!! That man can flog for africa. Every little thing wetin go comot from him mouth na "spare the rod spoil the child". Chai! That man use cain reset my body wella......but i take style stubborn sha.
LOL I can relate.

1 Like

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by bettercreature(m): 7:59pm On Jun 17, 2018
Senselin:
Not teaching me the value of money from childhood.
They were right Its wrong to teach you the value of money from childhood.Dont allow your children to have access to money or buy anything

1 Like

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 17, 2018
Once I get married I will stick with my wife and send my kids to the best school I can afford.

7 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by brainhgeek(m): 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Intimacy with my kids. Absentee parenteesm will be massacred. Family above jobs. Picnics and family bible study times. Holidays in villages. In short, I will grow with my kids and make them understand that they can tell me anything and be assured of privacy and corrections out of love

11 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by bigsmoke2(m): 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Comparing me to other people's kids

11 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by dozofavour(m): 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Sex education.
Relationship issues

9 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by samuelchimmy(m): 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Emotional blackmail and beating,if not for God I'm not sure I did be able to survive....

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by alexola20(m): 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2018

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by ebunoluwawa: 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
I will be a father that will always be there for my children.

My father was/is not there for me at all and it pains me to the marrow.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by Dasherz(f): 8:04pm On Jun 17, 2018
i won't emulate anything

nothing to me is worth emulating

6 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by neonly: 8:06pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mum died at my birth never had one but my dad na soja u know d rest of d story
My kids are very close to me tell me things they won't even tell der mum we have a special bond together pray they would be a better dad than me sha

9 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by UNRULY(m): 8:06pm On Jun 17, 2018
gudnex22:
stinginess!!!
grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by creamylicious(f): 8:08pm On Jun 17, 2018
Autocracy, emotional and financial abuse

11 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by sonnie10: 8:08pm On Jun 17, 2018
middlebeltboy:
my father is a polygamist, I will never emulate that. over my death body!

Pray for a good wife.

5 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by zangiff(m): 8:09pm On Jun 17, 2018
Believing too much on Certificates and Salary jobs by my parent is what I wouldn't want. I will go d other way round and business strategies in everything

12 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by peeparty(m): 8:10pm On Jun 17, 2018
My Paley

1:Strict

2:Womanizing

3:Anger

4:Always frowning, not easily accessible but i have been able to find my way round this now that i have grown.

5:That mr right mentality

6:Not taking responsibility for his action.

My Mum

1:Abuse. Chai this one can use ungodly word sometime sha ...It something we keep hoping that the will be a change.

Every other thing about her is fine.

7 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by dingbang(m): 8:11pm On Jun 17, 2018
Dasherz:
i won't emulate anything

nothing to me is worth emulating
they said you should name a thing you won't emulate. That is to aay they asking you should list out the things you don't like about them

6 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by peeparty(m): 8:11pm On Jun 17, 2018
neonly:
Mum died at my birth never had one but my dad na soja u know d rest of d story
My kids are very close to me tell me things they won't even tell der mum we have a special bond together pray they would be a better dad than me sha

I see a pure heart here..Happy father's day sir

11 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by peeparty(m): 8:12pm On Jun 17, 2018
alexola20:
Too many. Daddy rest in peace. Mum please change your ways before it's too late.
Have you spoken with her about this

1 Like

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by UNRULY(m): 8:13pm On Jun 17, 2018
Giving my kids to my brotjer/sister to look after at very tender age.. I was 6 when dad died, and at 7 mom traveled outta the country to get greener pastures to care for us(good motives) leaving me in the hands of uncles and aunts.i passed thru the valley of deep shadows but God kept me alive, And i thank him.

23 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by noble2faith(m): 8:14pm On Jun 17, 2018
Earthbound:
Parenting is not easy and is something you don't learn in a day or even over years. You keep learning but sometimes your actions are taken notice of by your children. For many, it's an obvious preference for a certain child. This is easily observed by the other children. As offspring, it is our duty to see the failings of our parents and ensure we do not duplicate the same actions when we have kids of our own.

For me, it's the singular act of comparing other people's children with yours. Citing other kids achievement as a yardstick for your children's is a big no no. This is one of the worst things a parent can do to his/her child. Fingers are not equal and that is why most children will never compare their parents with other people's parents. We tend to love them unconditionally. This irritating behavior can create an atmosphere of disdain around the house

If you are a parent, please take note of this. Your kids will develop an unnatural hatred for you in the long run. My patience is my greatest virtue but I'm not sure exactly how long I can hold on.

What are those things your parents did (or do) that you would never repeat to your children?
Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by zicoraads: 8:14pm On Jun 17, 2018
salt1:
Entitlement mentality.

Mama feels that giving birth to you is her license into blackmailing you to do anything she wants
Every parent is guilty of this grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2018
Time for reflection ..
Nice thread. Many here will make wonderful parents. smiley

The love for a child is the purest form of love.

12 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by peeparty(m): 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2018
justmi1:
Never being around... last saw my dad in 2008, mum 2013... both abroad. During the time, I got admission into school, did IT, graduated, did NYSC, worked for 3 years now, and rounding up a post graduate program. Business and marriage na him remain. Been on my own. I would NEVER leave my kids, they go where I go.(PS. They didn't neglect me, but presence is priceless)
The values they instilled in me, kept me going.

Key word**STRONG VALUES****

3 Likes

Re: Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate by zicoraads: 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2018
I will make time for my kids, no matter how tight my work schedule is. And if my work is really tight, I'll save up, start up a business and resign, just to have time for them.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mother's Day : Drop A Message For Your Mother / Women, Stop Lying To Your Husbands And Playing Victim Afterwards! / How Do You Tell Your First Wife You Married Another Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.