Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,058 members, 7,807,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader (20022 Views)

5 Traits That Makes A Good Immigration Lawyer / 5 Traits You Need To Know Of Great Firefighters / 5 Traits Of The Highly Successful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by 24hoursreporter: 6:32am On Jun 18, 2018
Some people are born leaders. As a matter of fact, you don’t need to hold a managerial position before you can become a leader. There are certain traits you will have that will make people within your organization see you as a leader. However, this article will focus on the 5 traits that will make others see you as a leader.

Generally, some leaders are made, while others are born. And, When you possess any of these 5 traits, people will see you as a leader regardless of your role.

So, before you read further I want to ask you this question. Do you want to be seen as a leader in your organization? If yes, read the 5 traits that will make others see you as a leader below.

5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader

#1 Listen Actively

Active listening is one of the traits that will make others see you as a leader. Most people think leading means speaking out, but they are wrong.

According to Elizabeth McLeod “If you focus your mindful listening, you can garner more opportunity without saying a word”

Mindful listening goes beyond keeping quiet and nodding. As a matter of fact, it involves focusing on the person you are listening to is saying, understand their body language while maintaining eye contact. Oh, it looks easy to you right? but only few people pay attention to this.

When you listen actively, you can sort and frame information, and when you finally speak, everybody will listen. This is because they know you have understood their point of view perfectly. Lastly, McLeod said ” If you want people to see you as an authority figure, stop talking, take a break and listen”.

#2 Make Your Meeting Count

The best time for your colleagues to see the stuff you are made of is during meeting. So, If you want others to see you as a leader, make every meeting count.

Therefore, be active in every meeting, prepare very well ahead of time. Read any pre-reads, listen actively through out the meeting, asking intelligent questions etc.

#3 Proactively Find A Mentor

Developing your skill continuously is one of the traits that will make others see you as a leader. The easiest way to develop your skill is to find a mentor.

You can take your boss as a mentor, but if you don’t want to use him, start looking for someone else.

#4 Look for root causes rather than quick fixes

When things go wrong in an organization, some people will always look for quick fixes. However, if you want people around you to see you as a leader, always look for the root cause of any problem.

The first step to do this, is to accept failure confidently. Once you accept failure, look for proactive ways of preventing it for happening again.

#5 Always speak the truth when things go wrong

When things go wrong, never cast a blame, rather speak the truth. And speaking the truth involves explaining what happened and strive towards fixing it.

People that cast blames are those that avoid responsibility, and this only distract you from solving the problem.

So, these are the 5 traits that will make others see you as a leader. Apply them and tell the world your experience.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/06/18/5-traits-that-will-make-others-see-you-as-a-leader/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by xreal: 6:34am On Jun 18, 2018
I think op is missing some other facts here; because saraki doesn't possess any one of these on the list and yet, Kwarans call him and see him as their leader.

Kwara ppl should come and tell us why saraki is their leader.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by BeingFrank(m): 7:06am On Jun 18, 2018
Number 5 Is One Of The Most Fundamental. When You Start Compromising And Throwing Blames Carelessly, Because Of Sentiment, Ignorance Or Bribe, You Start Breaking The Rungs Of Your Leadership's Ladder.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by 24hoursreporter: 7:18am On Jun 18, 2018
BeingFrank:
Number 5 Is One Of The Most Fundamental. When You Start Compromising And Throwing Blames Carelessly, Because Of Sentiment, Ignorance Or Bribe, You Start Breaking The Rungs Of Your Leadership's Ladder.

Awesome. Thanks for the great comment.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by BeingFrank(m): 7:22am On Jun 18, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Awesome. Thanks for the great comment.
Thank You Too

3 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 18, 2018
grin
You forget Charisma wink

1 Like

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by s3tt1ngz003: 7:24am On Jun 18, 2018
Anybody here who can help me pls, am to write my final year project, but I do not have a system nor the cash to kick Start this project. Pls I know there are some people here on this forum that are more worth 1% of am requesting now. Pls help me. All I. Need is to graduate and move on
Even if is to be a loan am ready all I need is 20k

1 Like

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by chicoMX(m): 7:25am On Jun 18, 2018
Buhari has none of these traits yet he's the President

3 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 18, 2018
xreal:
I think op is missing some other facts here; because saraki doesn't possess any one of these on the list and yet, Kwaran's call him and see him as their leader.

You no well!
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Meringe(m): 7:25am On Jun 18, 2018
Plz who can translate this in to Hausa language and send to buhari?

He really need this.

1 Like

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Nobody: 7:26am On Jun 18, 2018
xreal:
I think op is missing some other facts here; because saraki doesn't possess any one of these on the list and yet, Kwaran's call him and see him as their leader.

which one tinubu get
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Oceannaagent: 7:26am On Jun 18, 2018
Good morning Nigerians.

For smart investors, we are still selling , check my profile and put that call across now
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by devigblegble: 7:26am On Jun 18, 2018
Still depressed over super Eagles performance
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by hotplate: 7:27am On Jun 18, 2018
To be a good leader you must first of all be a good follower

2 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by dermmy(m): 7:28am On Jun 18, 2018
Yes Buhari has all of these. Sai Baba, Sai Nigeria. Lol
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by tete7000(m): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2018
I doubt Buhari has these qualities, yet he is our leader. Is that why it seems we have entered one chance?
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by xreal: 7:41am On Jun 18, 2018

1 Like

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by omooba969(m): 7:43am On Jun 18, 2018
chicoMX:

This is because we Nigerians are typically known for putting round pegs in square holes just for #1k and small bags of rice. grin

We therefore deserve the polithiefcians we get. grin

U gerrit? cool

3 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by omooba969(m): 7:45am On Jun 18, 2018
tete7000:
I doubt Buhari has these qualities, yet he is our leader. Is that why it seems we have entered one chance?

@bolded,

He's our ruler.

1 Like

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Chukazu: 7:49am On Jun 18, 2018
chicoMX:

Don't abuse the word "leader"

Buhari is a "ruler" not a leader

2 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by omoelerin1: 7:53am On Jun 18, 2018
xreal:

No, no, you made a mistake. His leadership is not exclusive to kwarans. He is one of Nigerian leaders. So, I think Nigerians are in best position to tell us how and why saraki crept into leadership position.

You as a Nigerian can represent the rest of Nigerians to tell us.
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by chicoMX(m): 7:53am On Jun 18, 2018
Chukazu:

Don't abuse the word "leader"
Buhari is a "ruler" not a leader
Leader- A person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country.
Get the fvck outta here!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by 24hoursreporter: 7:55am On Jun 18, 2018
xreal:

@Xreal, you have not been following Saraki's activities keenly. He seldom comment on national issues. Even when police IG invited him, he didn't make any official statement regarding the issue. That is why he is not predictable.
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by lailo: 7:55am On Jun 18, 2018
Forget all these noneesense just have good money and yyou have followers like soldire ants...........
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by 24hoursreporter: 7:59am On Jun 18, 2018
lailo:
Forget all these noneesense just have good money and yyou have followers like soldire ants...........

True, what if you don't have money bro?
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by tete7000(m): 8:01am On Jun 18, 2018
omooba969:

@bolded,

He's our ruler.

And I hope you understand why he is referred to as a ruler and not a leader? That is enough reason to feel sorry for your country if you love it.
Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Jones4190(m): 8:09am On Jun 18, 2018
In Church today, the way the Pastor was calling the book of Corinthians, it was sounding in the ears Like Croatians:

2 Likes

Re: 5 Traits That Will Make Others See You As A Leader by Donald3d(m): 8:20am On Jun 18, 2018
Awesome ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Possible Career Path For A Psychology Graduate. / NLC Protest Against Bad Companies In Lagos Turns Violent, Blows Exchanged / Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.