Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? (14117 Views)

7 Nigerians Who Were Pioneers In Their Area / 10 Things Ghanaians Know About Nigerians / What Amuses You The Most About Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Princek12(m): 11:49pm On Jun 03, 2010
My intelligent and wonderful people of Nairaland,

Many Nigerians who are neither legal residents nor citizens of the United States travel to the U.S. solely for the purpose of giving birth to their children for obvious reasons--to acquire USA citizenship for their newly born. It appears that a U.S. citizenship is mostly sought after by Nigerians, even more than a UK citizenship. As a matter of fact, a consular officer will deny your visa application if you show any sign of pregnancy at the interview. The USA Constitution provides that any persons born on U.S. soil is a U.S. citizen, and many Nigerians have taken advantage of this Constitutional provision. Sadly, many Nigerians come and accumulate thousands of dollars in hospital bills upon given birth, and simply abandon the bills when they leave. This has given Nigerians a very bad reputation among emergency hospitals, for some hospitals frown at many pregnant Nigerians who come to their emergency rooms while they are in labor (they are assuming that they won't pay their bills and run back to Nigeria).
The parents now take their newly born child, who is now a U.S. citizen, travel back to Nigeria and, without contributing anything to the U.S. economy, they expect that 18 years later, their child will come back to the U.S., a country to which they have paid no taxes or help develop, to benefit from several government programs provided for U.S. citizens.
Do you think that these practices is fair, especially after accumulating and ignoring a substantial hospital bill?

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Osama10(m): 11:56pm On Jun 03, 2010
Life itself its not fair, when they came into africa to pick up slaves then, who gave them visas into Nigeria then.

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jun 03, 2010
some of them pay their own hospital bills, but in any case i've stopped bothering with such matters since its not like there's anything i can do about it anyway.

many of these babies are almost 20 -30+ years old now. Some are even older.

besides, its not only nigerians who do it.

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by chiogo(f): 12:04am On Jun 04, 2010
Most people who decide to do that are financially well-to-do in Nigeria anyway. Never heard of a case whereby the parents ignore hospital bills. undecided

Two of my cousins were born in the States when their mother came visiting but they live in Nigeria now. They visit here regularly anyway and own a home in the States. The kids would probably move back for college and I'm sure their parents owe no hospital debts.

My view - nothing wrong with it for those who visit regularly and can afford hospital bills, everyone knows the benefits of being a US citizen esp. if the kids are going to later move back there for their studies.

2 Likes

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by OgidiBoy(m): 12:15am On Jun 04, 2010
Why should Nigerians who come into the US to have kids even be an issue, come down to Laredo, El Paso, San Antonio and see what Mexicans are

doing.

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Princek12(m): 12:43am On Jun 04, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Why should Nigerians who come into the US to have kids even be an issue, come down to Laredo, El Paso, San Antonio and see what Mexicans are

doing.

Everyone knows that Mexicans have a bad rap in Yankee, and even so, the Mexicans usually stay and contribute to the U.S. economy either through their labor or by paying taxes,
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by udezue(m): 2:59am On Jun 04, 2010
What's ur business? Are u paying their plane ticket? Its their choice. I also know Nigerians who had opportunity to give birth in the US but chose to go back home instead. As for those who I think they being smart. Their kids will have dual citizenship.

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Princek12(m): 3:19am On Jun 04, 2010
udezue:

What's your business? Are u paying their plane ticket? Its their choice. I also know Nigerians who had opportunity to give birth in the US but chose to go back home instead. As for those who I think they being smart. Their kids will have dual citizenship.
It is my business when my family get accused at the emergency rooms because of many Nigerians who have accumulated hospital bills and left without paying. Nigeria is the way it is because of people like you. People like you will say no one should speak against 419 because it is none of their business. Abeg sharap jor

2 Likes

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 04, 2010
I say good for them!

Apart from anything else, they would be guaranteed good medical care.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by debosky(m): 11:26am On Jun 04, 2010
I have no issues with the ones who pay their bills - it's not illegal to give birth to kids in the US. The ones who don't end up paying their bills however are giving us a bad image.

Like my good fried tpia said, I don't think there is much we can do about it.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 04, 2010
@debosky and Princek12,
It shouldn't concern you too much.

Is it only Nigerians that fail to pay their bills?

I am sure if it was a huge problem for them, the US authorities would have found a way to control it.

Just calm down man!

Is it your father's money they are owing? abeg oo!
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Princek12(m): 7:19pm On Jun 04, 2010
GenBuhari:

@debosky and Princek12,
It shouldn't concern you too much.

Is it only Nigerians that fail to pay their bills?

I am sure if it was a huge problem for them, the US authorities would have found a way to control it.

Just calm down man!

Is it your father's money they are owing? abeg oo!

It is not only Nigerians who don't pay their bills, but from what I am hearing at all these hospitals, it is becoming all too common with Nigerians to come and give birth without paying their bills. You said it shouldn't concern me too much, but why should it not concern me when I am also a Nigerian and subject to the same stereotype when I go to these hospitals? That is the problem with many Nigerians like you. You say it should not concern us when our fellow country folks are doing wrong in substantial numbers, then when BBC or CNN shows it and ridicule us you now start crying like a little chicken.

Same thing with 419 and cocaine pushing. Instead of everyone condemning 419 and cocaine pushing when it was at its infancy, people like you will say why should it concern me, that they are not stealing from me. But when you try to fly at an European airport and they treat you like dirt, you sill start crying like a little chicken. Because of people like you, Nigerians are treated like at most international airports and countries. Even in South Africa, word on the street is that the average Nigerian is involved in a fraudulent activity, yet people like you will say why should it concern me. God help our country.

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by udezue(m): 9:07pm On Jun 04, 2010
Princek12:

It is my business when my family get accused at the emergency rooms because of many Nigerians who have accumulated hospital bills and left without paying. Nigeria is the way it is because of people like you. People like you will say no one should speak against 419 because it is none of their business. Abeg sharap jor

So what are u going to do about it? Start a revolution? grin Guy u are just bored. Occupy ur mind and self with better things and quit bitchin and worrying about issues you can't control. Nigerians are not the only people doing it and you are not the US government neither are u the one they owe the money to so kindly zip it. FYI 419 and child birth in the US are not the samething. If they can't pay they can't pay. What do u suggest? That they be turned down while in labor? You are arguing about something u can't control. Isi aki.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Princek12(m): 11:38pm On Jun 04, 2010
udezue:

So what are u going to do about it? Start a revolution?  grin Guy u are just bored. Occupy your mind and self with better things and quit bitchin and worrying about issues you can't control. Nigerians are not the only people doing it and you are not the US government neither are u the one they owe the money to so kindly zip it. FYI 419 and child birth in the US are not the samething. If they can't pay they can't pay. What do u suggest? That they be turned down while in labor? You are arguing about something u can't control. Isi aki.

The way you sound you are one of those people who probably whose parents took advantage of the system when they gave birth to you, or one of those people who has traveled abroad to give birth with the intent of not paying. This is a forum in which people opine about various topics that interest them. I have every right to comment on it, and you can screw yourself if you have a problem about it. I never said they should reject patients in labor, but rather that people should at least make reasonable efforts to save and pay for their medical bills. If they can plan their visa and ticket buying to coincide with their delivery time, then maybe it cannot be an unreasonable burden for them to include paying for their medical bills in their plans. If what I say bothers you so much, you probably are one of those uncivilized people who sees no wrong in taking advantage of a system that is built on trust. And I see no difference between 419 and coming to the U.S. with the intent of accumulating medical bills repeatedly without paying for it. Same thing. You don't see a difference, so that makes you like the other millions of Nigerians who have abused the system and every other system built on trust, and it has given us a bad name. Idiot. Get the phuck outta here.

Do we have to wait until they start demanding upfront payment from nonresident Nigerian patients in U.S. hospitals, or do we have to wait till when they start asking our women to take a pregnancy test before getting a U.S. visa before we wake up? Get outta here.

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 6:39am On Jun 05, 2010
Come Prince of the BEAST,  if u get that so personal while hiding at the back of your goddamn computer, then go pay the goddamn bill. American gov ain't complaining about the bills,  but I prefar that to FOOD STAMP,  just like u get. So if the bad economy has in anyway affected ur Aturutic brain and cause all these borednz I advice u go get something else doing like than saying phuck, it's better yankee gov to for the bills than spending $$$ in fighting war without end, tongue

I am hearing this crap for the first time,  or are u doing some kind of confession?,  I have a lot of Mexican friends and never even heard them say a word abou this or M.O.R.O.N.I.C crap.

Preacher of doom, saint of evil.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Princek12(m): 7:56am On Jun 05, 2010
REALITY101:

Come Prince of the BEAST,  if u get that so personal while hiding at the back of your goddamn computer, then go pay the goddamn bill. American gov ain't complaining about the bills,  but I prefar that to FOOD STAMP,  just like u get. So if the bad economy has in anyway affected your Aturutic brain and cause all these borednz I advice u go get something else doing like than saying phuck,  it's better yankee gov to for the bills than spending $$$ in fighting war without end,  tongue

I am hearing this crap for the first time,  or are u doing some kind of confession?,  I have a lot of Mexican friends and never even heard them say a word abou this or M.O.R.O.N.I.C crap.

Preacher of doom, saint of evil.

You are a fool, and you are an Angel of Death. Because you are hearing it for the first time does not mean it is not becoming a problem. A fool like you will not know anything unless it is an epidemic. Read the article below:

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/okey-ndibe/woes-at-the-us-consulate.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkx4lpjamGI&feature=player_embedded#!
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 05, 2010
Praince the Monster, go get a job and stop blaring outta here with ur stupidity talks, zombi. I like whooping some senses into fagots like u if can been seen in person other than bn NL hero. Post more link who give a bleep about em, if it gets to u a lot Mufacker then go pay damn bill on em bhlf or shutup lipsrsealed forever. Mumu,
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Princek12(m): 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2010
REALITY101:

Praince the Monster,  go get a job and stop blaring outta here with your stupidity talks,  zombi. I like whooping some senses into fagots like u if can been seen in person other than bn NL hero. Post more link who give a bleep about em,  if it gets to u a lot Mufacker then go pay damn bill on em bhlf or shutup lipsrsealed forever. Mumu,
[/quote

Your mentality is the reason Nigeria is the way it is
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 3:13am On Jun 06, 2010
ODE GO JUMP OUTTA MOUNTAIN AND DIE, A.S.S.H.OL.E, I DON' GIVE A PHUCK BOUT RETARDDIC ASS LIKE U.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by udezue(m): 3:44am On Jun 06, 2010
Prince of stupidity,
FYI my mother had the opportunity to give birth to me but she refused and went back home despite please by people at the hospital where my brother went for some medical check up so shut ur trap. Crab ass biitch.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 06, 2010
@ Udezue forget that dude, he need a mental rehab, What's up, are u really in Hou?, I am in Hou too, Biafra forever,
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by udezue(m): 6:37am On Jun 06, 2010
Reality,nna h-town stand up. Yesooo. I dey SW right about now. Olia kwanu?
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 06, 2010
Adim nma nwannem, I dey Sugarland area, but currently @ S.W area, how e go be nah?
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by udezue(m): 9:47am On Jun 06, 2010
Oh ok munwa no na RIchmond tx. Okwa party ndi enyo anyi na ha gara ofu ulo akwukwo na hou kam ka si na puta.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 06, 2010
@ Udezue ok nwanne, kedu akara ekwu nti gi kam kpoo gi, muwa si London batah ebea last year,
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by udezue(m): 8:20pm On Jun 06, 2010
Nsogbu adiro. I cho I nwetem ghu akpom na Isato Ito Ibuo, Isii Isaa Ise - Ise Isaa Isato Ino.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jun 06, 2010
LOL I just tried now, dn't know if I gat it right lol now answer I wish I can write mine in this formula lol,
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by SSaemoenl(m): 9:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
I think what the guy is saying is true, we do not need to be catch up with the system b4 we change. Those living there are the one suffering from the said humiliation, All need a rethink jorrrrrrr. Well done Prince!

1 Like

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Obelomo: 8:35am On Jun 14, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with it! Many of these women are just trying to open the door of oppurtunity for their children.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by bintab(f): 11:47am On Jun 24, 2010
Princek12:

My intelligent and wonderful people of Nairaland,

Many Nigerians who are neither legal residents nor citizens of the United States travel to the U.S. solely for the purpose of giving birth to their children for obvious reasons--to acquire USA citizenship for their newly born. It appears that a U.S. citizenship is mostly sought after by Nigerians, even more than a UK citizenship. As a matter of fact, a consular officer will deny your visa application if you show any sign of pregnancy at the interview. The USA Constitution provides that any persons born on U.S. soil is a U.S. citizen, and many Nigerians have taken advantage of this Constitutional provision. Sadly, many Nigerians come and accumulate thousands of dollars in hospital bills upon given birth, and simply abandon the bills when they leave. This has given Nigerians a very bad reputation among emergency hospitals, for some hospitals frown at many pregnant Nigerians who come to their emergency rooms while they are in labor (they are assuming that they won't pay their bills and run back to Nigeria).
The parents now take their newly born child, who is now a U.S. citizen, travel back to Nigeria and, without contributing anything to the U.S. economy, they expect that 18 years later, their child will come back to the U.S., a country to which they have paid no taxes or help develop, to benefit from several government programs provided for U.S. citizens.
Do you think that these practices is fair, especially after accumulating and ignoring a substantial hospital bill?
My own view people who are rich enough to buy their plane ticket on the purpose to cme to u.s to have baby/babies should also make arrangements how those bills are to be paid. Now U.S  immigration and home land securities have a way of tracking down these people.I have a friend whose sister did thesame, Her hosp.bills were paid by medicaid of Va, she currently have not been able to visit again ,they denied her a second chance  of visiting claiming she defaulted her payment and tax payers have to foot the bills.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by anitabest(f): 12:16pm On Jul 01, 2010
bla bla bla. USA, USA, USA. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 02, 2010
If it concerns u so much why not pay their bill them?

Are Nigerians the only ppl who default on hospital bills? Abeg!! angry

bintab:

My own view people who are rich enough to buy their plane ticket on the purpose to cme to u.s to have baby/babies should also make arrangements how those bills are to be paid. Now U.S immigration and home land securities have a way of tracking down these people.I have a friend whose sister did thesame, Her hosp.bills were paid by medicaid of Va, she currently have not been able to visit again ,they denied her a second chance of visiting claiming she defaulted her payment and tax payers have to foot the bills.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google In Igbo Language / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State / White American Girl Speaking Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.