Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,380 members, 7,808,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? (1376 Views)

Naira: Concerns Over Fresh Threat From Crypto Traders / No Country Can Survive With Republic Of Benin As Neighbour – Dangote / Man Facing Eviction Threat By Landlady Wins N20m Lottery (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by tafat: 2:46pm On Jun 18, 2018
As it stands now there are strong indications that this season may not be the best for leading Korean digital device manufacturing giant, Samsung Corporation in Nigeria.

This is based on two factors.

First; in the last few years, new entrant to Nigeria’s smart device market, Tecno Mobile seems to have overshadowed the company in terms of saturating the market with ranges of mobile phones including feature and smartphones.

Otherwise, visibility of new Samsung products may have dropped to some extent in several Nigerian phone markets due to what industry analysts described as high prices of products.

On the other hurdle which is more of a diplomatic breach, the Nigerian Senate last week, declared Samsung Managing Director, Young Ho Jo, an illegal immigrant and ordered the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) to deport him alongside others without genuine documents.

The Senate order stemmed from the ongoing probe by the upper legislative chamber’s ad-hoc committee over the $16.35 billion Egina Oil Field project chaired by Senator Solomon Adeola, representing Lagos West Senatorial District.

Business Hilights recalls that Senator Adeola had revealed that the resolution for the deportation of the Samsung managing director was adopted by the Senate last week Thursday in line with the recommendation of the ad-hoc committee in its interim report.

Explaining more, the lawmaker argued that the illegality of the South Korean residency was uncovered on the scrutiny of his papers with other operators of the Egina Oil Field project.

According to him, “Mr. Young Ho Jo, who has been working for the past two months in Nigeria as the managing director of Samsung without fulfilling legal requirements for such told us that he could not complete his documentation as a result of alleged break down of machines of the Nigeria Content Development Monitoring Board (NCMDB).

“But the NCMBD wrote to us that their machines had never broken down in the period claimed, showing that the man has contravened the Local Content law

“Going by recommendations made by this committee to the Senate and resolution adopted, Samsung boss is no longer recognised on account of improper documentation as shown by papers he presented.

“To the Senate and this committee, SAMSUNG MD is an illegal immigrant who must be deported by the Nigerian Immigration Service, to which a letter to that effect has been forwarded to the Ministry of Interior.

“He can, however, come back to the country through proper documentation thereafter,” he said.

There are further discoveries showing that

However, it was also found out that Young Ho Jo while in Nigeria violated the Local Content Act by spending $1.6 billion out of the $3.5 billion contract Samsung got from the $16.35 billion Egina Oil Field Project in Goje, South Korea.

It would be recalled that Total Nigeria bank-rolled the Egina-FPSO as part of its exploration capacity expansion in the deep-sea production.

Image below shows the Egina FPSO delivered by Samsung Heavy Industries, Goje, South Korea.

Source :http://businesshilights.com.ng/can-samsung-survive-market-competition-with-tecno-deportation-threat-on-md/

Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by sureinfo: 2:50pm On Jun 18, 2018
Big question, Tecno truly ruling the market especially with sagas coming from big brands like these
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Rubiesangel: 2:54pm On Jun 18, 2018
Good move by the Nigerian government. These guys think they can come in hear illegally. Well, it's a nice thing to know that our government isn't sleeping.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by thatkindthing: 2:54pm On Jun 18, 2018
This is bad for a brand like samsung o, how can your top manager be an illegal immigrant to a country where you intend doing business, can a Nigerian try this over there in Asia? I believe no. thats why we advice our peeps travelling out to get their things intact especially owning an FCMB master card that lets you spend up to 5k dollars with ease so you dont get stranded anywhere.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by thatkindthing: 2:55pm On Jun 18, 2018
sureinfo:
Big question, Tecno truly ruling the market especially with sagas coming from big brands like these
definitely this will help Tecno mobile and other brands in competition
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by thatkindthing: 2:56pm On Jun 18, 2018
Rubiesangel:
Good move by the Nigerian government. These guys think they can come in hear illegally. Well, it's a nice thing to know that our government isn't sleeping.
sure,this is one good thing the government has done. They should keep it up
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by saxby(f): 2:58pm On Jun 18, 2018
No doubt with issues like these Tecno are going to take over the market
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Rubiesangel: 2:58pm On Jun 18, 2018
thatkindthing:
This is bad for a brand like samsung o, how can your top manager be an illegal immigrant to a country where you intend doing business, can a Nigerian try this over there in Asia? I believe no.
these guys for some reasons think we are daft, so they act like there's nothing we can do to them, as though we can't do without them.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by saxby(f): 2:59pm On Jun 18, 2018
thatkindthing:
This is bad for a brand like samsung o, how can your top manager be an illegal immigrant to a country where you intend doing business, can a Nigerian try this over there in Asia? I believe no.
e tire me too o. This is highly disappointing
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Rubiesangel: 3:00pm On Jun 18, 2018
saxby:
TECNO can utilise this opportunity effectively to garner more grounds in the Nigerian market. Especially with the lunching of new and great devices.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by thatkindthing: 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2018
Rubiesangel:
these guys for some reasons think we are daft, so they act like there's nothing we can do to them, as though we can't do without them.
i dey tell you, I love the step our senate is taking on issues like this. It should be made known that Nigeria is not a place where you can just come and do anything, anyhow
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by tafat: 3:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
saxby:
yeah Tecno could do that but let's not forget that there are other brands too
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by tafat: 3:05pm On Jun 18, 2018
Rubiesangel:
TECNO can utilise this opportunity effectively to garner more grounds in the Nigerian market. Especially with the lunching of new and great devices.
it would be wise if Tecno could use this to their advantage
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Tallesty1(m): 3:06pm On Jun 18, 2018
Nothing will change because the brands differ a lot. Tecno phones are mostly entry level and midrange while Samsungs are mostly higher midrange and flagships so I think they have different targets.

The only way Tecno can benefit from the saga is by launching something that is close to what Samsung offers and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Moreover, other brands from china are gradually becoming popular in Nigeria and they have no presence here.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Laurenumoh12: 3:30pm On Jun 18, 2018
Tallesty1:
Nothing will change because the brands differ a lot. Tecno phones are mostly entry level and midrange while Samsungs are mostly higher midrange and flagships so I think they have different targets.

The only way Tecno can benefit from the saga is by launching something that is close to what Samsung offers and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Moreover, other brands from china are gradually becoming popular in Nigeria and they have no presence here.

To me the phone industrial is an open market for some brands and what tecno is doing in the market is making is affordable for low class Nigerian.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Ennyholar: 3:45pm On Jun 18, 2018
Good one for one
Not so good for the other
Though the two companies have their different target audience in the smartphone market..i think it's more of a boost for tecno.

Cc lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by tafat: 4:23pm On Jun 18, 2018
Tallesty1:

you are forgetting that tecno has high mid-range and flagships too
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Tallesty1(m): 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2018
tafat:
you are forgetting that tecno has high mid-range and flagships too
Sure but they're under powered and over priced/hyped.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by tafat: 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2018
Yeah no doubt tecno are a budget friendly brand
Laurenumoh12:

To me the phone industrial is an open market for some brands and what tecno is doing in the market is making is affordable for low class Nigerian.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Pekuliar: 6:16pm On Jun 18, 2018
It's an opportunity for tecno to gain their ground... I'm sure they won't slack
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by tafat: 2:39am On Jun 20, 2018
at all, dem no need tell you sey tecno no dey dull na
Pekuliar:
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Pekuliar: 10:28am On Jun 22, 2018
I trust them sha
tafat:
at all, dem no need tell you sey tecno no dey dull na
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Pekuliar: 11:08am On Jun 22, 2018
I'm sure the MD of Samsung never saw this coming...
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by Behankey(m): 10:47am On Jun 24, 2018
I like to think Samsung and Tecno are similar yet different. And Tecno will continue to penetrate African markets because of the affordability of their devices.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 8:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
The truth of the matter is that tecno has devised ways to put good features on their phones at a more affordable price
Other brands would have to sit up if they want to maintain control of the Nigerian market share.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 8:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
This is really true
Behankey:
I like to think Samsung and Tecno are similar yet different. And Tecno will continue to penetrate African markets because of the affordability of their devices.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 8:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
Lol
How are they overpriced?
Tallesty1:
Sure but they're under powered and over priced/hyped.
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 8:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
See ehn
This is why we businesspeople must take the lesson and keep on innovating
Pekuliar:
I'm sure the MD of Samsung never saw this coming...
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 8:19pm On Jun 24, 2018
True
Ennyholar:
Good one for one
Not so good for the other
Though the two companies have their different target audience in the smartphone market..i think it's more of a boost for tecno.

Cc lalasticlala
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 9:26pm On Jun 24, 2018
They arent

Theyre constantly releasing new phones targeted at different classes of customers
Pekuliar:
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 9:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
The situation is quite tragic
If it was a Nigeria, the person would have been arrested
thatkindthing:
Re: Can Samsung Survive Market Competition With Tecno, Deportation Threat On MD? by chicwoman(f): 9:28pm On Jun 24, 2018
Very dissapointing
saxby:
e tire me too o. This is highly disappointing

(1) (2) (Reply)

Souvenir Bag Class In Warri / Portable Solar Home Lighting System- #15,000 Only. / Readycash POS Is Available For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.