Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,555 members, 7,801,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Cv-ing The Right Way - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Cv-ing The Right Way (8431 Views)

Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / Please Find Attached My Resume: The Right Way To Say It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cv-ing The Right Way by MsOyinCareer(f): 3:52pm On Jun 19, 2018
As the right CV (Curriculum Vitae) is the first step in the door of your dream job, when writing a CV, it is therefore important to keep in mind that your CV is the first representation of who you are, that the interviewer will see. So you’ll agree with me that the importance of having it the right way cannot be overemphasized.

Tips for A Top Notch CV:

Fonts should be eye-friendly and consistent: A recruiter would not keep reading through a CV that’s causing eye pain. Some CVs do. You keep wondering why the candidate had to use such font at such big size. Also, you find CVs with about 4 fonts on one CV. Not good, stop it. If you must use more than 1 font, ensure consistency. Use one for headings, another for the body etc... Don’t just write with any that pleases you in a section. Two fonts in all are enough.

CV Alignment: How’s the alignment on your CV? Is it properly justified, aligned left/right etc. as it should?
Spacing: Do not leave so much space in between just because you want to create a 3-pages CV. If everything you have to write can only fit in a page. Then write a beautiful 1-page CV.

Bullets: So important, I had to give it its own number. Be consistent with bullets. Don’t use square bullets on headings in one section and then move to the next section and use round bullets. For example, all headings should have same bullets; all subheadings should have the same type of bullets all through too.

Spelling Errors: You should diligently go over your CV to ensure there are no spelling errors. Imagine recruiting for a Content writer or Accountant and I keep seeing spelling errors on your CV. It simply tells me that you are not as meticulous as you should be. That surely is the end of the recruitment process for the particular candidate. Carefully go over to ensure there are no errors. How much attention you pay to these first 5 points, really shows how attentive to details you are.

Visibility of Contact Information: At first glance your contact information should be visible. There should be no need to scroll down to see what your phone number, contact address or email address is. Also as a recruiter, I do not support the idea of not including a contact address in your resume. Why? Let me give an example. Recently, I was urgently recruiting for a role in Lagos. Had close to a thousand resumes to go through. Opening up a CV I needed to quickly know who was in Lagos or not. Then group according to different locations. I opened a CV and I couldn’t find an address. I just moved to the next candidate. With so much CVs left, there was no time to try calling to know where the candidate was.

Your Career Objective/Profile: Make sure it shows that you have depth and have properly reflected before putting together the paragraph. Well written, straight to the point & giving a total picture of what your objective is / a summary of who you are as a professional. I recently saw a supposedly experienced candidate’s career objective as, “To be successful in all my dealings in life.” That’s a huge NO NO.

Till the next edition, may the odds be in your favour! Happy Monday and have a greatness filled week!

Source: http://mycareerlity..com/2017/09/cv-ing-right-way-i-right-cv-curriculum.html

1 Like

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by freemanbubble: 7:28am On Jun 20, 2018
ok
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Tintinnoty(m): 7:28am On Jun 20, 2018
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by CriticMaestro: 7:28am On Jun 20, 2018
Connecting the right way...
Connection number one. Ego
Any good employer knows that a good crafted cv doesn't necessarily match with the person skills
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by clefstone(m): 7:29am On Jun 20, 2018
IMO, obsessing on CV writing is a clear sign of lack of ideas and laziness. If you improve yourself, not just academically, but total package; confidence, academics, technical ability, personality, internship etc, you will choose jobs from various options. Let's not be deceived, the most colorful and well designed CV without skill will make u jobless for a long time, but on d other hand, if u have the skill and showcase yourself, you wouldn't need a CV to land yourself that big break

14 Likes

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by bellooyin(f): 7:30am On Jun 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by afilaka(f): 7:31am On Jun 20, 2018
From experience, it is more of MAN KNOW MAN to get a job this days, my advise, Get a good CV and KNOW MAN.

3 Likes

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by martyns303(m): 7:33am On Jun 20, 2018
About the address, do recruiters also take into consideration proximity? say I live on the island but the company is on the mainland, would the employer choose someone at the mainland over me if we are both having the same qualification. or would they invite us both and let us battle it out at the interview.

2 Likes

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Gten(m): 7:34am On Jun 20, 2018
Most importantly, have a godfather (preferably high up the ladder). It would save you the hurdle of CV technicalities.

3 Likes

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Exwizard: 7:34am On Jun 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Odegbami1(m): 7:34am On Jun 20, 2018
To slap the OP they hungry me I swear. Who CV help. No be when you see job and go you go think of CV. If you talk that kind rubbish again en, I go personally come look for you. undecided undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by IamAkinzy: 7:34am On Jun 20, 2018
Once Baba God pick up!!

All this ones na yeye activities

2 Likes

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 20, 2018
CriticMaestro:
Connecting the right way
Any good employer knows that a good crafted cc doesn't necessarily matches with the person skills

How?

1 Like

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by AgentGoat: 7:35am On Jun 20, 2018
I no even get CV
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by peterkelechi30(m): 7:38am On Jun 20, 2018
If you like write heaven and earth .. if your papa know person. you're good to go
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Folabimi(m): 7:39am On Jun 20, 2018
undecided
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by tym92(m): 7:41am On Jun 20, 2018
afilaka:
From experience, it is more of MAN KNOW MAN to get a job this days, my advise, Get a good CV and KNOW MAN.
Gten:
Most importantly, have a godfather (preferably high up the ladder). It would save you the hurdle of CV technicalities.
peterkelechi30:
If you like write heaven and earth .. if your papa know person. you're good to go

so, u guys conclusion is to know someone before getting what you want..
I disagree with that.
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by fiercehillz(m): 7:43am On Jun 20, 2018
God's grace is numero uno

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Cocolatti(m): 7:44am On Jun 20, 2018
The best CV for Naija na Baba God and Man know Man!!!

1 Like

Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by kingPhidel(m): 7:44am On Jun 20, 2018
Hmm.. Nice piece though..
But in my country, only God divine CV can save, otherwise Godfatherism CV has destroy the country.
Is bad.......
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Yinxies(f): 7:45am On Jun 20, 2018
Is it not better to start a small business instead of wasting time cv-ing the right way...

Signature pls
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by qanda: 7:50am On Jun 20, 2018
Nice
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by zone51: 7:50am On Jun 20, 2018
CV this, CV that,

Good CV will land you an interview BUT scaling through is another task.
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by ednut1(m): 7:53am On Jun 20, 2018
Enough of this CV bullshit. A good CV cannot get u a job, ur composure,articulation and confidence during interview gets u d job.
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by braivheart: 7:54am On Jun 20, 2018
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 20, 2018
afilaka:
I disagree with that, KNOW GOD, then get a good CV..... talking from experience.
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by qanda: 8:09am On Jun 20, 2018
After CVing the right way, What Next? Job Test/Interview. Do you know that you can Download Job Test Questions and Answers and Top Interview Questions and their Sample/Suggested answers from Q and A App? Download Q and A App from Google Playstore. The App is built for you by young Nigerians.
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by Ojuri20: 8:45am On Jun 20, 2018
MsOyinCareer:
As the right CV (Curriculum Vitae) is the first step in the door of your dream job, when writing a CV, it is therefore important to keep in mind that your CV is the first representation of who you are, that the interviewer will see. So you’ll agree with me that the importance of having it the right way cannot be overemphasized.

Tips for A Top Notch CV:

Fonts should be eye-friendly and consistent: A recruiter would not keep reading through a CV that’s causing eye pain. Some CVs do. You keep wondering why the candidate had to use such font at such big size. Also, you find CVs with about 4 fonts on one CV. Not good, stop it. If you must use more than 1 font, ensure consistency. Use one for headings, another for the body etc... Don’t just write with any that pleases you in a section. Two fonts in all are enough.

CV Alignment: How’s the alignment on your CV? Is it properly justified, aligned left/right etc. as it should?
Spacing: Do not leave so much space in between just because you want to create a 3-pages CV. If everything you have to write can only fit in a page. Then write a beautiful 1-page CV.

Bullets: So important, I had to give it its own number. Be consistent with bullets. Don’t use square bullets on headings in one section and then move to the next section and use round bullets. For example, all headings should have same bullets; all subheadings should have the same type of bullets all through too.

Spelling Errors: You should diligently go over your CV to ensure there are no spelling errors. Imagine recruiting for a Content writer or Accountant and I keep seeing spelling errors on your CV. It simply tells me that you are not as meticulous as you should be. That surely is the end of the recruitment process for the particular candidate. Carefully go over to ensure there are no errors. How much attention you pay to these first 5 points, really shows how attentive to details you are.

Visibility of Contact Information: At first glance your contact information should be visible. There should be no need to scroll down to see what your phone number, contact address or email address is. Also as a recruiter, I do not support the idea of not including a contact address in your resume. Why? Let me give an example. Recently, I was urgently recruiting for a role in Lagos. Had close to a thousand resumes to go through. Opening up a CV I needed to quickly know who was in Lagos or not. Then group according to different locations. I opened a CV and I couldn’t find an address. I just moved to the next candidate. With so much CVs left, there was no time to try calling to know where the candidate was.

Your Career Objective/Profile: Make sure it shows that you have depth and have properly reflected before putting together the paragraph. Well written, straight to the point & giving a total picture of what your objective is / a summary of who you are as a professional. I recently saw a supposedly experienced candidate’s career objective as, “To be successful in all my dealings in life.” That’s a huge NO NO.

Till the next edition, may the odds be in your favour! Happy Monday and have a greatness filled week!

Source: http://mycareerlity..com/2017/09/cv-ing-right-way-i-right-cv-curriculum.html

@op and to whom can be of any help to me, please kindly help me with a good paying job anywhere in Lagos. May God bless you all.
Re: Cv-ing The Right Way by afilaka(f): 5:01pm On Jun 20, 2018
Castroii:

I disagree with that, KNOW GOD, then get a good CV..... talking from experience.

i agree wit you too.in all things KNOW GOD. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wema Bank Fresh Graduate Trainee Recruitment And Experienced Hires 2011 / 2012 / Police Receive 104,289 Applications For 10,000 Jobs / Fula Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (6 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.