Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? (15257 Views)

Don't Be Scared Of High Mileage Cars / Li Xang: A Chinese Car With A Sleek Design And Amazing Features / Is It Better To Buy A Old Car With Low Mileage Or A Newer One With High Mileage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 19, 2018
Am about getting a tokunbo car for someone and the odometer reading showed 89,000 km but after checking on carfax, the actual mileage in Canada showed over 290,000 km though no accident or any other issue.

Will it be safe to buy a high mileage vehicle considering the likelihood of parts getting worned out?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by lakefist(m): 11:09pm On Jun 19, 2018
Gazzuzz
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by SIMEONMPEE(m): 11:32pm On Jun 19, 2018
Run Run Run .... does not worth it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by CarsGuideNG: 5:10am On Jun 20, 2018
Hello Sir.

It is encouraging to note that you understand the importance of a history report before purchasing a vehicle.

CarGuideNG has identified 2 aspects of the issue:

a. The mileage itself, 290,000 KM

b. The Odometer rollback of 201,000 KM

We made an earlier thread about car mileage:

https://www.nairaland.com/4503479/buyer-beware-tokunbo-cars-mileage

And a thread for checking the mileage/flood

https://www.nairaland.com/4496684/free-exclusive-check-genuine-mileage

To explain the (a) part of the issue.

Your question cannot be fully answered without knowing the following details:

a. Age of the vehicle.

b. Model of the vehicle.

This is because these details determine how mileage should be looked at.

The USA often uses an average yearly mileage of 12,000 miles, while for Canada it may be 20,000 KM per annum. These are average figures, the true figures may range from much more than these, to much less than these.

With the above figures, mileage can be said to be high when the figure greatly surpasses the average for a year.

Using 20,000 KM as an average, it means that a vehicle with 209,000 KM in 2018 may have been driven for about 10 years.

Generally, mileage should never be considered in isolation when vehicle shopping.

It should always be considered along with other features like general vehicle condition, etc. Physical appearance. The state of the interior, cracked leather, worn pedals, gear knob, scratches and other wear and tear. The state of the suspension and other mechanical parts, which undergo stress with increasing mileage.

These should all be considered together to understand the mileage and general condition of the vehicle.

While it is true that increasing mileage leads to increasing wear and tear for a car, high mileage considered in isolation may not give the best picture of the car status.

'High' mileage can result from:

a. City miles, such as a Taxi, with frequent stop-and-go traffic.
b. Highway Miles, interstate trips, etc.

For a vehicle used in Canada with a good road network, highway miles are much more preferred to city miles.

Frequent stops and starts are much more harmful than continuous engine performance at high and efficient speeds, which is usually the case for highway miles.

Without the details like age of the car further explanations about the (a) part of the issue may not be relevant.

Regarding the (b) part

We have discovered from hundreds of history reports which we provided for clients for a negligible fee, that odometer rollback is a thriving occurrence among imported used vehicles in Nigeria.

This should not be so, and in countries where these vehicles originate from, such practices are highly criminal and illegal.

Unfortunately the Nigerian environment allows them to thrive, we always advise clients to exercise maximum caution once it is discovered that the mileage was tampered with, especially in such a brazen manner as in this case, with 201,000 KM removed from the odometer.

They engage in such practices because they know

The average buyer may have often unrealistic mileage expectations and

May focus on just the mileage and

May not know enough to check the car history, and

There are no laws to prevent them, thus no consequences.

There are red flags in vehicle purchase. Some of them are:

a. An older car with lower mileage at inspection. Example, a 2004 Toyota Corolla with 80,000 KM in 2018.

b. A more recent car with higher mileage. Example, a 2016 car with 120,000 miles in 2018.

These all point to the importance of vehicle history reports which CarGuideNG provides at minimal cost, using the VIN/Chassis Number, before considering any car for sale.

Thank you.

77 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Gravatar: 5:27am On Jun 20, 2018
hmmm Lalasticlala mynd44

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:55am On Jun 20, 2018
TrumpedL:
Am about getting a tokunbo car for someone and the odometer reading showed 89,000 km but after checking on carfax, the actual mileage in Canada showed over 290,000 km though no accident or any other issue.

Will it be safe to buy a high mileage vehicle considering the likelihood of parts getting worned out?

the Vehicle type really matters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 20, 2018
CarsGuideNG:
Hello Sir.

It is encouraging to note that you understand the importance of a history report before purchasing a vehicle.

CarGuideNG has identified 2 aspects of the issue:

a. The mileage itself, 290,000 KM

b. The Odometer rollback of 201,000 KM

We made an earlier thread about car mileage:

https://www.nairaland.com/4503479/buyer-beware-tokunbo-cars-mileage

To explain the (a) part of the issue.

Your question cannot be fully answered without knowing the following details:

[b] a. Age of the vehicle.

b. Model of the vehicle

Thanks.

It's a 2004 Toyota Matrix

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Wasky101: 7:09am On Jun 20, 2018
What is high milage? Where does it start been high?

iPhone 6s 64gb for 90k. #discount. USA used with charger. Fresh like new. Payment on delivery

2 Likes

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Ibukunmer: 7:10am On Jun 20, 2018
290k is way too high and is too risky. While it's true not to consider mileage in isolation, this advice mostly applies to low 100,000 and below.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Britishcoins(m): 7:10am On Jun 20, 2018
TrumpedL:

Thanks.

How much?
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by rozayx5(m): 7:12am On Jun 20, 2018
once above 150k

car is near death

4 Likes

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by BAILMONEY: 7:13am On Jun 20, 2018
IS IT SAFE TO MARRY A WOMAN IN HER 40s

5 Likes

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Tanmusparties: 7:13am On Jun 20, 2018
The lower the mileage the better

Visit www.facebook.com/kiddiesparadise.ng
For all your kid's party needs
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by freemanbubble: 7:14am On Jun 20, 2018
isoright
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by joeokoriem: 7:15am On Jun 20, 2018
Forget about d millage. Once its not accidented, good history. Its OK to buy. They hv good roads. Not Nigeria.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Handsomebeing(m): 7:15am On Jun 20, 2018
I got a 2000 Corolla for my wife 3 years ago with over 200,000km. Not a single fault till date whereas my first car in 2010 was a 2005 Corolla with mileage at under 80k was hell. Sold it after less than a year. The difference is i bought my first car from a car dealer and got my wives myself from Canada.

The car dealers here are greedy and wicked.

23 Likes

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by lordsharks(m): 7:16am On Jun 20, 2018
I don't think you should
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by CarsGuideNG: 7:16am On Jun 20, 2018
TrumpedL:

Thanks.

Hello Sir.

Considering the average mileage listed above, a 2004 Toyota Matrix with 290,000 KM in 2018:

290,000 / 14 = 20,714 KM

Thus the car covered approximately 20,714 KM annually

This is very fair mileage for a 14 year old popular vehicle.

Emphasis should be on a thorough inspection by a trained and trusted professional, since the rest of the vehicle history does not raise any further red flags. Also pay attention to the vehicle service history from the history report.

The mechanical parts should be inspected carefully, and fluids, belts and other high wear engine parts as well.

With the above service history, thorough inspection and change of any high wear parts, and with extra caution as recommended because of the criminal act of odometer rollback, the vehicle may be a good purchase.

Contact CarGuideNG for your Comprehensive or Premium Vehicle History Reports, protect yourself from odometer rollback, flood damaged vehicles, stolen vehicles, and vehicles with all sorts of hidden damage.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Ideyontop: 7:18am On Jun 20, 2018
Na Nigerian used you wan buy before? grin Try am na.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by computerglobal(m): 7:19am On Jun 20, 2018
TrumpedL:

The Vehicle type really matters like what my Mr Gazzuzz has said
Get a competent pre-buy inspection
The key thing to look for is how well the vehicle has been maintained .You can a Comprehensive report from www.nairaland.com/computerglobal
Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068
It's better to buy a safe, reliable model, and then properly maintain it—follow the maintenance schedule and take care of minor problems as they arise

Don't run the risk of buying a used car with costly hidden problems. Shop with confidence for a car with the our vehicle history that's right for you.

Contact us today for comprehensive vin report for your vehicle

Contact us on Whats-app now . Just a click away.

https:///send?phone=2348060365068

Email computerglobaltech at gmail dot com
Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by wonuks(m): 7:19am On Jun 20, 2018
shocked
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by seyiojomu(m): 7:21am On Jun 20, 2018
If you have scanned the car for stored DTC problems and no codes come up that you can't fix, then you are safe. Physically inspect the car thoroughly most especially the engine bay, look out for screws, bolts and nuts that have been loosened before, this gives you an indication of work that has been done on the car before. Has the cylinder been opened before? Has the water pump been replaced etc? There are a number of parts that should have been intentionally replaced after s certain number of miles to keep a car running as new. Finally, test the drive, test the drive again, put it into serious endurance test before paying. If all checks out fine, you are good to go. You may just be lucky it was all highway miles.

I personally bought a premium Acura after it was just 8years old with about 169k miles reading on the odometer, I pushed it to about 210k miles after 2years and all functions was still superb. Sold it off sometimes towards the end of last year, not because of the high miles but because I bought a more recent model and the guy that bought it from me is even enjoying the car better than me now. I imported my spares always or make sure that what am getting locally is premium, sticked to routine maintenance. If you do the same with any other car, it will serve you as long as you want. Not to forget Toyotas are known notorious cars for reliability.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by SheikhMuniru(m): 7:22am On Jun 20, 2018
ASK GOOGLE
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 20, 2018
Yes it is, if well maintained.

1 Like

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by divinelove(m): 7:22am On Jun 20, 2018
It depends on the cost of the car n year of production, beat down d purchase price.

290k km for 2008 model at d right price is acceptable

Yes mileage is just a number what matters is d age, make n maintenance of car, I hope it's a Toyota or Lexus if not don't buy.

290k km is about 160k mile
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Deltatoto: 7:23am On Jun 20, 2018
SIMEONMPEE:
Run Run Run .... does not worth it
u stl be baby for motor matter I have 3 cars the one with d highest mileage is d sharpest.i travel with it more often.the secret is,some ppl no how to maintain a car someone who services regularly his car can never die some with low mileage are used by careless ppl even with less than 10k the car is gone.its just like saying a woman who has given birth before her Puesy is gone I have dated a single mom and a 19yrs old girl the single mom has a tighter peusi walls.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by slydog(m): 7:24am On Jun 20, 2018
rozayx5:
once above 150k

car is near death

I bought my 2002 RX at 150k milage four years ago and have never had any issue with the car. I have refilled AC only twice in the past four years and changed the battery once from the original carry come Lexus sealed battery to a normal battery. The car is already on 208k millage and still no issue. Though with very regular expensive maintenance. I bought cos I saw and confirmed that the mileage was not tampered with..

2 Likes

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 20, 2018
most tokunbos have been rolled back, did they give any problems not really. i laughed when i saw my car was from texas( very big state in usa) and had 90k miles in 8 years, obviously rolled back, the car no gimme issues

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by Afamed: 7:26am On Jun 20, 2018
Run for your life.
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by divinelove(m): 7:29am On Jun 20, 2018
BAILMONEY:
IS IT SAFE TO MARRY A WOMAN IN HER 40s

Lol it's like reading the days newspaper at night
Re: Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? by divinelove(m): 7:32am On Jun 20, 2018
Handsomebeing:
I got a 2000 Corolla for my wife 3 years ago with over 200,000km. Not a single fault till date whereas my first car in 2010 was a 2005 Corolla with mileage at under 80k was hell. Sold it after less than a year. The difference is i bought my first car from a car dealer and got my wives myself from Canada.

The car dealers here are greedy and wicked.

Ur wife own is d real mileage @ 200k km while your own has fake mileage of 80k km probably it was over 350k km

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It / Customs Gives Account Of Vehicles Seized Since President Buhari Came Into Power / How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.