Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,409 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:01 PM

What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? (17316 Views)

After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School / 7 Side Hustling You Can Do As A Salary Earner / When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 20, 2018
I was with the HR at the last section of my interview and I can see from her eyes that I impressed the panel but this question just hit me from one of them..

How much will you take for this position?

I just quoted 175k shocked

What is the effect of quoting a price that is less than the salary for the position you're going for cause I know when you quote too high, they'll try to beat it down?
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 20, 2018
henro4niger:
I was with the HR at the last section of my interview and I can see from her eyes that I impressed the panel but this question just hit me from one of them..

What is the effect of quoting a price that is less than the salary for the position you're going for cause I know when you quote too high, they'll try to beat it down?

CC lalasticlala

This happens alot as people don't do background investigation on remenuration of the company they are about joining...

It could backfire..if it's a company that pays different salary for staffs on the same grade..I know stanbic IBTC does that nonsense....they pay u based on ur negotiation. Only their graduate trainees comes in with a flat rate accross board

But just hope it's a COY that no matter what u say, u will still get the same standard salary scale for the level u are being employed for...

24 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jun 20, 2018
1StopRudeness:

This happens alot as people don't do background investigation on remenuration of the company they are about joining...

It could backfire..if it's a company that pays different salary for staffs on the same grade..I know stanbic IBTC does that nonsense....they pay u based on ur negotiation. Only their graduate trainees comes in with a flat rate accross board

But just hope it's a COY that no matter what u say, u will still get the same standard salary scale for the level u are being employed for...

I really appreciate your response. I hope it's just a coy cause I don't want to start a 200k worth position with 175k grin

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Iruobean(m): 1:00pm On Jun 20, 2018
shocked
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Dunnievick(m): 1:01pm On Jun 20, 2018
D
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by looseweight: 1:01pm On Jun 20, 2018
Ask and it shall be given.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2018
I dnt kn o cool
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by opsyswagger(m): 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2018
The one sef wey I went for yesterday the man have already told us 60k.. only for us to be invited for the final stage telling us. That is going to pay 15k for trial for 15 days after the trial if we are sucessful. He will pay 35k everymonth.. na so. I look the man I tell am say I go get back to am.. stupid man....... rubbish....

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by seyiojomu(m): 1:06pm On Jun 20, 2018
It's simple, they pay you and hope you never find out.

This happened to one of my colleagues and there was nothing he could really do about it. He kept showing dissatisfaction and after two years, they reviewed his pay but it wasn't still at par with his peers. because the coy had a maximum allowable percentage of increase and justifications needed to be made to increase anybody's pay extremely.

My advise, know your worth even if you can't find out what the position pays in the company you are applying to.

8 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Wasky101: 1:06pm On Jun 20, 2018
Nothing, the coy smiles and pays u your chicken change

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by SweetJoystick(m): 1:07pm On Jun 20, 2018
I'm in the same position as you, at the first stage I asked for 220k as salary which is lower than the standard for the role I was being interviewed for, second stage I asked for a minimum of 300k which is the standard pay for the role, the interviewers were like why the increase, I stated my reason. However, it's paramount one does a background check on salary scale by asking from persons currently working in the firm, from people who have worked in the company or from someone who knows anyone who currently works or has worked in the company before so as not to under value yourself.

15 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Wasky101: 1:07pm On Jun 20, 2018
Nothing, the coy smiles and pays u your chicken change.

iPhone 6s 64gb for 90k. #discount. USA used with charger. Fresh like new. Payment on delivery

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by shurley22(f): 1:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
Simple
If you're qualified, they'd gladly take you and pay you your money.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by BizLifeE: 1:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
Oro pa esi je. The word has killed the answer.

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: ItuGlobal
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by qanda: 1:09pm On Jun 20, 2018
A few questions for you?
1. How did you come about 175K?
2. Did you do a research to find out how much they pay?
3. Is it an experience Hire and have you worked in a similar position?
However, some organisations will pay you just a little above what you asked for if you undersell. Some will pay you exactly what you asked for while others will pay the company salary for that job grade. Next time, do your research before the interview.

Download Top Interview Questions and Suggested/Sample answers for FREE on Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore.
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by SheikhMuniru(m): 1:14pm On Jun 20, 2018
THEY WILL JUST REFER ME TO ASO ROCK TO WORK FOR BUBU IF I QUOTE SALARY BEYOND THEIR EXPECTATIONS

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by ImperialYoruba: 1:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
henro4niger:

Never ever ever EEEVER undersell!

Here is how you assess your value:

1. What knowledge do you have and do they span across many roles and functions?

On a scale of 1 to 5, where are you?

2. What skills do you have and are they transferable between last and jobs and new job?

Where is your skill level - beginner, intermediate, expert, coach?

3. What non-job specific values are you bringing with you?

Remember anyone can teach you knowledge and skills but no one can teach you values.

I will demonstrate.
A typical roadside mechanic will diagnose car trouble, repair or replace engine block, repair fuel system, repair vacuum system, repair fluid system, repair brakes, repair gears and transmission and differentials, repair shocks and balancers.

In an enterprise auto shop each of these is a separate department and have different service cost and staffing.

So if the roadside mechanic was going to to apply in this shop he should calculate his salary requirement based on one particular specialization and then each of other specialized areas will be differentials of no less than 10% of the basic salary. The total should be his desired pay. He must be upfront to let the hiring managers know he is an asset and hiring him is cost efficient than hiring two or three different specialized hands to staff those departments with zero cross-over capacities.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Altern8(m): 1:23pm On Jun 20, 2018
I feel it’s wrong for companies to try this. They have a standard remuneration for that particular role. Just tell the applicant and stop playing with him.

If an applicant asks for less and they accept, one day he/she would find out and that’s when dissatisfaction would creep in.

These same companies never pay above their standard amount.

They would most likely pay what you asked for. My advice for you is to go on with the job since you agreed to those terms. However, It is better to ask the interviewer what the company has pegged as remuneration for the specific role. They wouldn’t lie about the figure. The worst they can do is to throw the question back at you.

6 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by drpips1(m): 1:26pm On Jun 20, 2018
it is probable they offer you what you settled for
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 20, 2018
Please guys I need help I got an invite in Workforce group for an interview tomorrow, but my age declaration reads 10/12/1992 instead of 09/12/1992 would this be an issue. And having another age declaration, the court is far away from my house and it won't be that easy today... Please need quick response
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by ponti93(m): 1:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
For you to have qoute 175k, it means that is the least u can accept
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Bolles: 1:31pm On Jun 20, 2018
Here to read and learn
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by ImperialYoruba: 1:33pm On Jun 20, 2018
drpips1:
it is probable they offer you what you settled for

Lailai! Unless the job title is coveed under a negotiaited labor contract, in other words, protected by labor union, expect them to always negotiate whatever you throw out.
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by alsudaes1(m): 1:42pm On Jun 20, 2018
ponti93:
For you to have qoute 175k, it means that is the least u can accept
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by gbagyiza: 1:44pm On Jun 20, 2018
Dont worry, u r on point..If they r truly impressed with your performance, they will pay u a salary according to their scale in the organization..my present place of work asked me the same question n i told them my salary expectation should be according to their salary scale but i was asked to tell them what i currently earn which was 125k. And when i finally collected my appointment letter, i discovered my salary to be 500k.

18 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by naturefellow(m): 1:51pm On Jun 20, 2018
henro4niger:

I really appreciate your response. I hope it's just a coy cause I don't want to start a 200k worth position with 175k grin
you shouldn't mind the N25k diff... cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Working For Yourself (self- Employed) / What Salary Range Is Low Income In Recession? / The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.