Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing (25529 Views)

Advice Needed: Prepaid Meter Or Estimated Billing? / Reps Pass Bill Criminalising Estimated Billing / Help With PHCN Wahala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by MightyFortress: 10:39pm On Jun 20, 2018
Teetopz:
A thread on why PREPAID METER being distributed TO ALL may never be achieved in Nigeria.
After the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Electricity distribution companies are next on the list when it comes to corruption. This has been in existence from time immemorial, just like barracks, many government have come and gone but the deep rooted corruption in the system remains
In April 2016, I moved in to my current apartment. The apartment was still connected to an old meter and there was an outstanding payment of about N385,000.00 to be paid.

This wasn't revealed to me before I made payment for the rent, as usual (that's how they all do)
This became a worry and an absolute headache.

I asked the landlord why it was so and she made me understand that the apartment was not in use for 5years.

I asked how come it wasn't reported to NEPA so they'd stop the billing, she gave me a copy of the letter she wrote to them
So I took the matter up, wrote several mails to Eko electricity company and the matter was on for 11months, note that in the space of this 11 months, I never got a monthly bill lesser than 24,000.00

You want to ask if I have a factory in my apartment? No I don't.
So it extended from wanting the company to zerorize the ridiculous outstanding balance in the billing account to fighting and contesting the outrageous billing system which do not in any way represent my true electricity consumption and wanting a Prepaid Meter

The battle began.
After several exchange of mails betweens myself and Eko Electric and no solution was forthcoming, I moved the matter to NERC, the regulatory body for all electricity distribution companies in Nigeria.

I filed a petition against Ekedp and the undertaking in charge of my area.
Lo and behold, after three days from the petition submission to NERC, I got a call from the marketing manager for my area pleading for me to make myself available to allow them come to my house and take inventory of the electrical appliances I use.

NERC is working yeah? Right.
A staff of the Ekedp came to take the inventory and at the end of the computations, we calculated and multiplied each appliance by the estimated units they consume per day and multiplied by 31days.

Recall I said I never got a bill less than 24k in a month?
Then we arrived at a figure that even the Eko electric staff who came to take the inventory opened his mouth and couldn't close it.

What I should be billed based on having 24hour light per day(which is not even possible) in 31 days was 4,800.00

I almost ran mad.
I took a copy of the report, scanned it and attached it to my next petition to NERC.

At this point, the marketing manager attached to my undertaking had started calling and begging me to stop the petitions.

That they could all get sacked if matters gets escalated further.
Then in September 2017, after all the troubles and how I never got tired if pursuing the issue, I got a mail from Eko electricity to come with some required documents in order to fill a form for a PREPAID METER.

I went there and did as they requested

At Last.
On 27 November 2017, I was on leave.
I was at my gate then this Alfa looking guy was parading and trying to see house number on the fence. My instinct told me to ask if he was asking for Ayo, then he said yes

He was the prepaid meter installer, he was with my new prepaid meter
I also recall that before the whole issue started, I was discouraged severally that I can never be given prepaid meter due to the outstanding balance on the billing account, I paid no mind to all the people that said that and went ahead with my case.
I got the Prepaid meter for FREE. After a week, bill was brought and boom, outstanding balance has been cleared from 385,000.00 to zero balance.

How did I achieve this?
I mean I didn't pay a dime to anyone and I never for once bribed my way in all my dealings.
I achieved this simply because;

1. I knew my right.
2. I wouldn't settle for mediocrity
3. I never stopped pushing even after several months and it seemed unachievable
4. I was ready to take the matter up anywhere
5. I was informed.
Now imagine how many people are out there who don't even know how to go about such tedious and draining process.

I learnt that a lot of people even paid as much as 40k to get the prepaid meter. Something that's supposed to be free.
Since the prepaid meter was installed in November 27 2017, I have not exhausted the 303 units that came with it which is calculated to be 7,200.00

And I still have 140units left to use.

That's over four (4) months now
Do you now see why these people will never allow dream of every homes having a prepaid meter become a reality?

Because such development will block all holes where the electricity distribution corrupt members of staff perpetrate their fraudulent activities and corruption from.
They know that they will be forced to give light more in order to generate revenue and will not be able to charge people outrageously as they are currently doing and remitting the proceeds of their criminal act to their pockets.

Stand up and Fight for what is your right.
Prepaid meter is your right, fight for it to the latter.

If you believe that your monthly electricity bill do not represent your consumption, make a case.

If you're in Lagos, Ikeja Electricity company and Eko electricity company are there for you.

If they fail, involve NERC.
That will be all, for now.
Due to popular demand, these are the email addresses you can forward your complaints to -
Ikeja Electricity Distribution - customercare@ikejaelectric.com
Eko Electricity Distribution - customercare@ekedp.com
Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission - complaints@nerc.gov.ng

Kindly send details of your complaint to contact@cpc.gov.ng
https://twitter.com/CPCNig/status/1009438818364248064

lessons learnt
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Dammy68(f): 12:59am On Jun 21, 2018
This is exactly what we are facing in our area now, I have taking it up with them and they seems to be working as they called my husband from their office that somebody will be coming to make an inventory of what we are using. I need to state that we just moved in to the apartment last year and was not told about the debt on the meter despite the fact that PHCN had disconnected the line since Dec. 2016, they were still bringing bills on the said meter. Only God knows if this PHCN staff have conscience at all. Thanks so much OP as I am going to send another mail to NERC as stated in your post. To cap it all, #24,000 was giving to us by this wolves this month. My husband had almost cleared the outstanding bills of #85,000 that we know nothing of before they decided to be this wicked. This problems is applicable to everyone in my area. I will follow it up to the last until they give us a prepaid meter. Wicked people.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by benzion72(m): 1:25am On Jun 21, 2018
Bross if you have 30k per month that is N360,000 per anuum. Why not go Solar and disconnect yourself from this satanic PHCN
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Bullhari007(m): 7:16am On Jun 21, 2018
poseidon12:

Solar affordable? Not true.
very affordable. your 6months NEPA bill can buy solar, I have been using solar for 2yrs now , it cost depends on the size and capacy you want
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by joannes7(m): 8:02am On Jun 21, 2018
Same thing in my flat. From 5k to 25k with a perfectly working meter. If you can afford it, go solar with an inverter. 300k or less net spend. Am already working on it. *uck nepa
Emmerlee:
Hello House,

The subject matter refers.. Guys what is really happening in Nigeria? Why are we all not making noise on the current grand fraud being perpetuated via PHCN estimated billing? What really is the reason PHCN is unable to supply prepaid meters to ALL households even when we are READY to pay double for each one? The unprecedented level of grand thieving that is happening in PHCN in broad day light defies all logic. It is unbelievable how callous we have become as a people.

I live at Kernel Street, off Amosu Street in Bode Thomas (Surulere LGA). As of January 2016, my postpaid PHCN bill was exactly N5,501.76. This was followed by a steady, continuous rise to N22,416.00 by January 2017 (407.5% increase). As of today, the 20th of June 2018, my MONTHLY estimated bills hover between N24,000.00 and N35,000.00. To be precise, the estimated bill given to me by PHCN for the month of June 2018 is exactly N29,760.00! In a country where minimum wage is N18,000 and house rent is paid by God's special grace.. What exactly is wrong with these people for goodness sake? How can you be doing this to us and be getting away with it because those who ought to care do not care?

I live in a 2 bedroom flat, I'm single and hardly in the house because of the nature of my job except for weekends. I also don't sleep at night with the Air Conditioner on because of health issues (knee related). I hardly have time to use my electric iron so I dry clean my clothes. My fridge has the popular advanced Smart Inverter Compressor technology that saves so much energy and can be powered by even a small generator. What exactly is in my small house that I should be paying an average of N30,000 every month to PHCN? I am finding it so hard to understand this level of wickedness and it's beginning to affect my sanity.

Before you ask what I've done about this please find details of my efforts at resolving this over the years:

1. I have been to the PHCN offices at Mushin and Ijora to complain (including their Doyin office which is closest to my house), nothing has come out of it.
2. I have written letters and sent emails to EKEDP (customercare@ekedp.com), nothing has come out of it.
3. I have written a letter to the Honourable Minister for Power, Works and Housing (letter was acknowledged as received) and a copy of the letter made to the Commercial Manager, Eko Electric Distribution Board, Mushin which was received with an official stamp by EKEDP customer care unit on the 13th of March 2017. Again, nothing came out of it.
4. I have sent emails to NERC (Eko Forum) on two different occasion this year to complain about this massive fraud going on in my area. The first time I wrote to Eko Forum, the PHCN marketer in charge of my area was summoned somehow because after that email he came over to my house to take an inventory of the electronic appliances in the house. After this he assured me that something will surely be done about my bills. It's about 3 months since that time and the crazy bills have continued. I wrote another email to them and they replied the following day that my request had been forwarded to EKEDP. Till today nothing has been done and the bills are still soaring high!

PHCN officials never come to the house to take Meter readings. They are just not interested. I was recently out of town for about 2 weeks with the house under lock and key but this does not stop PHCN from increasing my bills every month (whether there's usage or not). It may also interest you to know that PHCN officials, as is the norm of recent, always disconnect my building for at least 5 to 7 days each month following the inability of one of our tenants to pay up on time. Whenever this happens we all suffer blackout that last for several days while we wait for my neighbor to pay his own portion of the estimated bill which is around the same range as mine. This is so because PHCN supplies all the apartments in the house power via one cable that runs from the street pole to the building. Despite all the inconveniences PHCN will still proceed to punish us every month, with extremely high, unjustified bills! It beats my imagination how wicked these people are.

You are expected to pay up ANY bill you are given, regardless of the amount and regardless of usage. How you pay is none of their business. As I write this our power line has been disconnected again (all 4 flats) because one of our tenants is still running around looking for money to pay up. This is after I paid N30,000 and my next door neighbour paid N34,000. My people, do you really think this is sustainable? I'm tired of the whole thing. I feel as though I've been kidnapped and forced to part with my hard earned money every month. These guys are likely on a mission to ensure our monthly salaries end up in their pockets. The bills are still rising and will soon get to N50,000+ per month at this rate. Companies around my area (with lots of Air Conditioners and other heavy electronic gadgets) pay an average of N10,000 to N14,000 each month from my investigations, and three bedroom residential apartments with prepaid meters do not pay up to 20% of what I dole out to PHCN each month. why are defenseless Citizens being made to go through hell in Nigeria? I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of Nigerians groaning from this fraud. Where is our conscience as a people? Is this how we want to attain greatness without the fear of God?

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), empowered by the Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act, 2005 stated on their website that it is the customer’s right to be notified in writing ahead of disconnection of electricity service by the DisCo serving the customer in line with NERC’s guidelines. PHCN does not write before disconnection. They are so quick to disconnect within 2 minutes and require us to pay N2000 per flat (N8,000 in total from my building) before they can reconnect, regardless. Who then are the laws made for? You complain, nothing comes our of it. You write letters to the authorities, nothing comes out of it. Maybe I should consider sueing them to court for all the inconveniences caused me over the years, but then will anything come out of it? I am Tired.

Maybe I should consider asking them to come remove my meter completely (they don't read it anyways). I'm tired of paying bills I do not understand. Any suggestions on how to handle this will be appreciated. Thanks for reading my rants, I really hope I don't end up with clinical depression at this rate.

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by LaIabobo: 8:04am On Jun 21, 2018
@ emmerlee

Get a lawyer friend to write them on your behalf, and copy NERC and CPC. they've violated several laws.

Also, they aren't supposed to disconnect you after payment because one tenant hasn't paid...

https://www.nairaland.com/4496229/female-lawyer-set-sue-nepa

Read that link and please use social media, this issues tend to go viral on Twitter and they all don't want that.

All the best.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by maasoap(m): 8:12am On Jun 21, 2018
bigfish3k:

thanks a lot
i have tried getting a prepaid meter but they are still their usual self, telling me its not available
i have already written a complaint letter, they acknowledged it as usual, still waiting for their response. its pathetic the kind of wickedness we inflict on ourselves in this country, a country which minimum wage is N18,000 receiving a domestic light bill of N30,000 per month. my friends with prepaid meter don't spend more than N2,000 per month in recharging it. i believe The electricity companies or DISCO's are deliberately hoarding the meters because it keeps them in check and protects u from their them and also protects them from u but it seems they dont know. But dont they know that it will eliminate the hazard of carrying ladder up and down and also eliminate the electrocution of those their casual staff on our poles. it seems we are just striving very hard day by day to remain a third world country

i suggest that the govt should allow an open market for the sale of prepaid meters, let the DISCO's come and do the registration of the meters at our homes because they have totally abused the privileges and advantages given to them by the govt

even if they must estimate our bills, must it be so WILD? Please we need govt protection on this metering cheating by the DISCO's

Go through the unofficial channel if you have the money with you. As you said, they have meters but they are only giving it to those who are ready to pay above the official price. Just discuss with someone in charge on personal level. Here in Osun, with 70k, you will get your prepaid meter.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by maasoap(m): 8:24am On Jun 21, 2018
poseidon12:

You got it right. I think the reason why customers are getting very high estimated bills is because their neighbours who have prepaid meters are bypassing their meters or adjusting them. The estimated bill clients are basically paying for their neighbours' electricity consumption. And instead of the DISCOs trying to catch the cheaters, they find it more convenient to just recover their loss by over billing some clients.

Bypassing? You don't want to be caught doing that! DISCOS staff are mostly young greedy casual workers looking for bypassed prepaid meters, if you are caught, you will cough out up to 20k. You don't want to go that way. I'm aware that some people are doing it regardless of the consequences.
But this outrageous estimated billings just started like two to three months back, it has nothing to do with bypassing prepaid meters. What is the population of households with prepaid meters that are by passing meters that would justify estimated billings jumping from 4k to 35k?
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Nobody: 8:25am On Jun 21, 2018
bigfish3k:

he didnt by pass, my friend is also spending N2,000 on his own at enugu, and they can boast of 20hours light a day

Bros 20hours in Enugu.. Please take it easy. I stay in Enugu too. Though on estimated billing but pay an average of 7k monthly with complete home appliances. 3 bedroom flat.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by lookmangiw(m): 9:05am On Jun 21, 2018
Guy, but the minister of works, power and housing lives on your street. Why can't you just walk up to him and explain your ordeal to him. If you that lives in the same neighbourhood with the minister of power himself can be faced with this kind of problem. Then where those the hope of folks like us that are not in his vicinity lies.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 21, 2018
Apologies Sir, kindly provide us with details of the said mail to enable a track and trace on it and provide an update.
Emmerlee:

Seen, thank you. Will do so soon!
@CPCNig sent this. Please, follow them up on twitter.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Emmerlee(m): 10:29am On Jun 21, 2018
Teetopz:
Apologies Sir, kindly provide us with details of the said mail to enable a track and trace on it and provide an update. @CPCNig sent this. Please, follow them up on twitter.

Seen Bro. I just sent an official complaint to their email. All I have for now is an auto response from them. I'll be waiting to see how they take this up.

Thanks again, I'll keep you guys updated.

1 Like

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by bigfish3k: 12:53pm On Jun 21, 2018
justjeff:

Bros 20hours in Enugu.. Please take it easy. I stay in Enugu too. Though on estimated billing but pay an average of 7k monthly with complete home appliances. 3 bedroom flat.

he stays at achara layout, this is what i experienced on a 3 days visit. Maybe i was wrong, i agree that the 3 days is too small as a statistical sample survey
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2018
Bullhari007:
Op you are just wasting your hard earn money, since I find out solar is affordable, efficiency, durable, flexibility and sustainable I got nothing to do with NEPA, they can come and carry the transformer in my area, this mofos even warn me to stop advising solar to my neighbors

Bros please enlighten me on this solar energy and how much it will cost me to fix it. Nepa bill is killing me and my family. Please reply
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Bullhari007(m): 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2018
Diickrider:

Bros please enlighten me on this solar energy and how much it will cost me to fix it. Nepa bill is killing me and my family. Please reply
Solar panel 250W – 45k,Solar panels can last for up to 30 years.
One or more solar panels will be required in a solar power system. A two bedroom flat, for example could require three, 1.5KVA watts true sine wave inverter, for a solar power system costs about 80,000 Naira. 12V / 100Ah battery 55,500 Naira
charge controllers ranges from as low as 5,000 Naira to up to 200,000 Naira depending on the type and specification. also includes connection cables, fuses, grounding cable, and meter. Connecting cables for & fuses The guy charge me 50k for workmanship, light have never go off in my apartment since 2yrs now,
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jun 21, 2018
Bullhari007:
Solar panel 250W – 45k,Solar panels can last for up to 30 years.
One or more solar panels will be required in a solar power system. A two bedroom flat, for example could require three, 1.5KVA watts true sine wave inverter, for a solar power system costs about 80,000 Naira. 12V / 100Ah battery 55,500 Naira
charge controllers ranges from as low as 5,000 Naira to up to 200,000 Naira depending on the type and specification. also includes connection cables, fuses, grounding cable, and meter. Connecting cables for & fuses The guy charge me 50k for workmanship, light have never go off in my apartment since 2yrs now,

Pls drop your email. I would like to have your whatsapp number so we can chat at lenght
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Bullhari007(m): 5:27pm On Jun 21, 2018
Diickrider:

Pls drop your email. I would like to have your whatsapp number so we can chat at lenght
Davidcamp404@gmail.com
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by ozoebuka1(m): 1:48am On Jun 22, 2018
Iammercy2018:
I am not disputing the fact that PHCN are over billing us. I sound naive how? Showing my ignorance how?

I only asked a question to clarify what I don't understand.

If you're using a single meter in a building consisting of 4 flats they (PHCN) should bill the the building as a whole and not each flats

According to op they're billing them flat by flat so I needed to be sure and I don't see any problem in me asking
we have a single meter too but the billing comes flat by flat so the op is right and he's not lying
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Iammercy2018: 8:55am On Jun 22, 2018
ozoebuka1:
we have a single meter too but the billing comes flat by flat so the op is right and he's not lying
well am not saying the op is lying, I just wanted to know which is which.

But if it's that way then the PHCN officials are ripping you people off in two ways.

Next time they should bill the building as a whole then the tenants divide the bill between themselves, that way it'll be much cheaper...

It's abnormal for them to bill flat by flat when the building as just one meter. That's all am trying to say

2 Likes

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 22, 2018
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Iammercy2018: 9:09am On Jun 22, 2018
Emmerlee:

Electricity supply to all the 4 flats in our building is through a central wire that connects to the the street pole. Each flat has a separate meter and separate account and hence billed separately. That's just the way it is here. I once asked them why they left it that way but they always find ways to quickly dodge the question.
if each flats has a separate meter then the bills should be separate, I was thinking it's a single meter all flats are using then the bills comes separately
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 22, 2018
Bullhari007:
Davidcamp404@gmail.com

I just sent u an email. Please check
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by ozoebuka1(m): 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2018
Iammercy2018:
well am not saying the op is lying, I just wanted to know which is which.

But if it's that way then the PHCN officials are ripping you people off in two ways.

Next time they should bill the building as a whole then the tenants divide the bill between themselves, that way it'll be much cheaper...

It's abnormal for them to bill flat by flat when the building as just one meter. That's all am trying to say
phcn matter tire everyone... Their case is just like Nigerian police and court cases, it can linger for eternity.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Iammercy2018: 2:34pm On Jun 22, 2018
ozoebuka1:
just know this is not right, they should bill the building according to the amount of power consumed which the numbers will be on the meter then when the bill comes the flats will share it within themselves.

How do they bill you without a meter and you're paying

1 Like

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by ozoebuka1(m): 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2018
Iammercy2018:
just know this is not right, they should bill the building according to the amount of power consumed which the numbers will be on the meter then when the bill comes the flats will share it within themselves.

How do they bill you without a meter and you're paying
only if you know how pathetic Nigeria has become in terms corruption you wouldn't bother asking me that.

1 Like

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Iammercy2018: 6:37pm On Jun 22, 2018
ozoebuka1:
only if you know how pathetic Nigeria has become in terms corruption you wouldn't bother asking me that.
there are some cases of which you shouldn't have allowed to happened, this one for example, you the tenants can have a meeting and ask the PHCN officials to bill the building according to what is on the meter then when the bill comes (you the tenants) then decide on how to share the bills.. they're already ripping you ppl off, you can't allow them rip u off in the open also
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by DaRuud(m): 2:57pm On Jun 23, 2018
Its so annoying , I just packed into a new house in Ushafa Abuja , the landlord applied for prepaid , after 3 months the useless PHCN / AEDC guy cut our wires and asked us to pay #51, 500 for administrative fee , abeg who know what that means

Emmerlee:
Hello House,

The subject matter refers.. Guys what is really happening in Nigeria? Why are we all not making noise on the current grand fraud being perpetuated via PHCN estimated billing? What really is the reason PHCN is unable to supply prepaid meters to ALL households even when we are READY to pay double for each one? The unprecedented level of grand thieving that is happening in PHCN in broad day light defies all logic. It is unbelievable how callous we have become as a people.

I live at Kernel Street, off Amosu Street in Bode Thomas (Surulere LGA). As of January 2016, my postpaid PHCN bill was exactly N5,501.76. This was followed by a steady, continuous rise to N22,416.00 by January 2017 (407.5% increase). As of today, the 20th of June 2018, my MONTHLY estimated bills hover between N24,000.00 and N35,000.00. To be precise, the estimated bill given to me by PHCN for the month of June 2018 is exactly N29,760.00! In a country where minimum wage is N18,000 and house rent is paid by God's special grace.. What exactly is wrong with these people for goodness sake? How can you be doing this to us and be getting away with it because those who ought to care do not care?

I live in a 2 bedroom flat, I'm single and hardly in the house because of the nature of my job except for weekends. I also don't sleep at night with the Air Conditioner on because of health issues (knee related). I hardly have time to use my electric iron so I dry clean my clothes. My fridge has the popular advanced Smart Inverter Compressor technology that saves so much energy and can be powered by even a small generator. What exactly is in my small house that I should be paying an average of N30,000 every month to PHCN? I am finding it so hard to understand this level of wickedness and it's beginning to affect my sanity.

Before you ask what I've done about this please find details of my efforts at resolving this over the years:

1. I have been to the PHCN offices at Mushin and Ijora to complain (including their Doyin office which is closest to my house), nothing has come out of it.
2. I have written letters and sent emails to EKEDP (customercare@ekedp.com), nothing has come out of it.
3. I have written a letter to the Honourable Minister for Power, Works and Housing (letter was acknowledged as received) and a copy of the letter made to the Commercial Manager, Eko Electric Distribution Board, Mushin which was received with an official stamp by EKEDP customer care unit on the 13th of March 2017. Again, nothing came out of it.
4. I have sent emails to NERC (Eko Forum) on two different occasion this year to complain about this massive fraud going on in my area. The first time I wrote to Eko Forum, the PHCN marketer in charge of my area was summoned somehow because after that email he came over to my house to take an inventory of the electronic appliances in the house. After this he assured me that something will surely be done about my bills. It's about 3 months since that time and the crazy bills have continued. I wrote another email to them and they replied the following day that my request had been forwarded to EKEDP. Till today nothing has been done and the bills are still soaring high!

PHCN officials never come to the house to take Meter readings. They are just not interested. I was recently out of town for about 2 weeks with the house under lock and key but this does not stop PHCN from increasing my bills every month (whether there's usage or not). It may also interest you to know that PHCN officials, as is the norm of recent, always disconnect my building for at least 5 to 7 days each month following the inability of one of our tenants to pay up on time. Whenever this happens we all suffer blackout that last for several days while we wait for my neighbor to pay his own portion of the estimated bill which is around the same range as mine. This is so because PHCN supplies all the apartments in the house power via one cable that runs from the street pole to the building. Despite all the inconveniences PHCN will still proceed to punish us every month, with extremely high, unjustified bills! It beats my imagination how wicked these people are.

You are expected to pay up ANY bill you are given, regardless of the amount and regardless of usage. How you pay is none of their business. As I write this our power line has been disconnected again (all 4 flats) because one of our tenants is still running around looking for money to pay up. This is after I paid N30,000 and my next door neighbour paid N34,000. My people, do you really think this is sustainable? I'm tired of the whole thing. I feel as though I've been kidnapped and forced to part with my hard earned money every month. These guys are likely on a mission to ensure our monthly salaries end up in their pockets. The bills are still rising and will soon get to N50,000+ per month at this rate. Companies around my area (with lots of Air Conditioners and other heavy electronic gadgets) pay an average of N10,000 to N14,000 each month from my investigations, and three bedroom residential apartments with prepaid meters do not pay up to 20% of what I dole out to PHCN each month. why are defenseless Citizens being made to go through hell in Nigeria? I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of Nigerians groaning from this fraud. Where is our conscience as a people? Is this how we want to attain greatness without the fear of God?

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), empowered by the Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act, 2005 stated on their website that it is the customer’s right to be notified in writing ahead of disconnection of electricity service by the DisCo serving the customer in line with NERC’s guidelines. PHCN does not write before disconnection. They are so quick to disconnect within 2 minutes and require us to pay N2000 per flat (N8,000 in total from my building) before they can reconnect, regardless. Who then are the laws made for? You complain, nothing comes our of it. You write letters to the authorities, nothing comes out of it. Maybe I should consider sueing them to court for all the inconveniences caused me over the years, but then will anything come out of it? I am Tired.

Maybe I should consider asking them to come remove my meter completely (they don't read it anyways). I'm tired of paying bills I do not understand. Any suggestions on how to handle this will be appreciated. Thanks for reading my rants, I really hope I don't end up with clinical depression at this rate.

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by muhtarumar(m): 10:44pm On Jun 24, 2018
I am with you on this
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by muhtarumar(m): 11:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
I am with you on this.

FX:
Let's form a Registered Union and sue their ass to court. Union of residents Using Estimated Billing. Who is with me on this . I want to start going to court now. We must sue IKEDC and EKDC.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by Emmerlee(m): 9:15am On Jun 25, 2018
Teetopz:
Apologies Sir, kindly provide us with details of the said mail to enable a track and trace on it and provide an update. @CPCNig sent this. Please, follow them up on twitter.

Hey man, just a heads up. It's been 4 days now since my official email complaint to them. I remember also notifying them of my email on Twitter. As of today no response yet besides the email auto-response I received seconds after sending. I hope I get an update from them this week at least, that is the least I expect from CPCNig.

1 Like

Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by wirinet(m): 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2018
FX:
Let's form a Registered Union and sue their ass to court. Union of residents Using Estimated Billing. Who is with me on this . I want to start going to court now. We must sue IKEDC and EKDC.

I am with you on this one. Estimated billing is illegal. It is like MTN distributing the bill among all users on a master equally irrespective of usage.

I feel we can only get justice with the judiciary as the executives and legislative have failed us.

Let's form a whatsapp group.
Re: My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing by sisisioge: 5:46am On Jul 14, 2018
I heard 51% of their customers are unmetered. So once the post paid consumption is taken out, the rest share the bill in estimated values, metered or unmetered. Awon ndi ara!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Would You First Go Through On Your Spouses' Phone If Given The Chance? / Have You Also Called Your Father Today? (photos) / Should Married Individuals Keep In Touch With Exes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.