Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,845 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:12 AM

Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads (27679 Views)

Another Truck Has Rammed Into The Ojuelegba Barrier. / 4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / Help Trailers And Tankers Have Taken Over Our Roads! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Btruth: 3:14pm On Jun 20, 2018
Enough is enough. No truck should be allow to go on top of the bridge at Ojuelegba. They should all go through the traffic down. A strong barricade should be build on both side of the bridge to prevent trucks and heavy duty to go on the bridge.

RIP to the dead.

1 Like

Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Deprofessional(m): 3:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
What of if you latch the container and it fall with the vehicle?

2 Likes

Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by tsnsamuel(m): 3:17pm On Jun 20, 2018
that is true, but not only unlatched containers, SARS too must go(witnessed their show of shame for the first time today)

1 Like

Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by boluxta123(f): 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2018
Even with this tragedy they won't do anything, no be naija government? Under bridge is not safe, no hospital, no electricity, no road... o ga gan ni oo
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by AerialMapper: 3:23pm On Jun 20, 2018
FRSC will be busy chasing people for seatbelt, mobile phone, driving license and fire extinguisher violations whilst leaving vehicles that pose more risk; rickety taxis, three-wheeled vehicles, trailers bearing unlatched containers to run riot.

1 Like

Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by SalamRushdie: 3:26pm On Jun 20, 2018
maclatunji:
There are certain things that should not happen. A container falling and crushing people to death at Ojuelegba should not have happened yesterday. Why? It had happened about 2 times before in recent years in the same location and several times in other locations. The Lagos State Government, Federal Road Safety Commission and every other agency involved in securing our roads should have prevented it with strict enforcement of our road safety laws.

Sometimes, Nigerians feel helpless about the problems that confront us but I disagree on this score. It is something we should not tolerate and we should do something about. What have I done? I have tagged the governor on Twitter over this demanding something be done and I think you all can do the same or at the very least promote a campaign to raise awareness and demand that this does not happen again.

Support the #SayNoToUnlatchedContainers Campaign.

Share this on social media and tag the relevant government officials at state and federal level.

Enough is enough and any of us can be a victim of this. The time to take action is now.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/ojuelegba-tragedy-unlatched-containers-must-leave-our-roads/

Nice one but how I wish you would also one day right about why killer herdsmen must be stopped ?
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by gabbasin: 3:27pm On Jun 20, 2018
articulated vehicles should be restricted from the ojuelegba flyover, the service lane to under the bridge through abalti barracks gate is the alternative. ditto jibowu _ western avenue flyover, the trucks should pass through kalakuta / jibowu to link ikorodu road. Enough of these carnage.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by BelovedBuhari(m): 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
It's not just about unlatched containers.

There should be a Road Safety policy that stipulates the age of trucks that can be used to transport these containers. Most of the trucks involved in these accidents are old and rickety.

An old truck would probably find it difficult to move smoothly and it;s handling difficulty will definitely lead to an accident

1 Like

Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 20, 2018
Only Nigerians think important sociopolitical issues can be resolved on social media

I laugh in tongues undecided
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by deebsman1(m): 3:40pm On Jun 20, 2018
Can't there be a protest or something? sad
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by HomeOfMe(f): 3:54pm On Jun 20, 2018
maclatunji:
There are certain things that should not happen. A container falling and crushing people to death at Ojuelegba should not have happened yesterday. Why? It had happened about 2 times before in recent years in the same location and several times in other locations. The Lagos State Government, Federal Road Safety Commission and every other agency involved in securing our roads should have prevented it with strict enforcement of our road safety laws.

Sometimes, Nigerians feel helpless about the problems that confront us but I disagree on this score. It is something we should not tolerate and we should do something about. What have I done? I have tagged the governor on Twitter over this demanding something be done and I think you all can do the same or at the very least promote a campaign to raise awareness and demand that this does not happen again.

Share this on social media and tag the relevant government officials at state and federal level.

Enough is enough and any of us can be a victim of this. The time to take action is now.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/ojuelegba-tragedy-unlatched-containers-must-leave-our-roads/

Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Adefemiaderoju1: 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
Obvious that our government both state and federal government don't care about it citizens only interested in making money for their pocket
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by HomeOfMe(f): 3:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
maclatunji:

Can't the authorities first of all erect barriers to preveu those killer container carrying trailers and petrol tankers from climbii the bridge. Let them go under and save more lives from untimely death. But NO!!!! Dangote is the owner of most of those trucks,so i doubt they can do much.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 20, 2018
maclatunji:

Lagos state does not have a governor.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by azimibraun: 4:06pm On Jun 20, 2018
Lack of fear of God, Greed over human lives, Ignorance and too fear of the "bigman" and not the law are some of he hall Mark of the people hat live in the country called Nigeria. We are just like vintage Mikel obi on the football pitch pass the ball to the next man so that he won't be accused of losing the ball to the opponent, even if it means sacrificing a counter attack for a back pass to the goalkeeper. That is the behavior of the average Nigerian public official. Nothing spectacular. Just play safe, keep your job, feed your family and life is good. More containers will fall, more people will die, the vicious circle will continue. Its a trajectory. I remember Suleiman Alledeh then if channels TV taking this up with the authorities and they sounded like that was the last. Here we are again. Everybody just pass the ball and move on. No be me spoil ball mentality.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by maclatunji: 4:06pm On Jun 20, 2018
Nigeriadondie:

It is sad that we live in a country were alue is not placed on lives.
I have written directly to the FRSC about general road safety and what has been done in advanced countries repeatedly but it seems it feel on deaf ears.
I would write a thread on road safety as it is here in the Scandinavia where I live.
Just yesterday I got a sad news that a friesnd of mine lost his dad after being crushed to death by a truck.

I agree with you, really sad stuff. You can also send Road Safety articles or other useful tips to contact@opinions.ng I am a part of the team and we should be able to publish.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by maclatunji: 4:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
HomeOfMe:
Can't the authorities first of all erect barriers to preveu those killer container carrying trailers and petrol tankers from climbii the bridge. Let them go under and save more lives from untimely death. But NO!!!! Dangote is the owner of most of those trucks,so i doubt they can do much.

The barriers will become hazards as the truck/tanker drivers will deliberately break them posing danger to any vehicle behind them.

It has been tried before and it failed. They just need to arrest them.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by maclatunji: 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2018
azimibraun:
Lack of fear of God, Greed over human lives, Ignorance and too fear of the "bigman" and not the law are some of he hall Mark of the people hat live in the country called Nigeria. We are just like vintage Mikel obi on the football pitch pass the ball to the next man so that he won't be accused of losing the ball to the opponent, even if it means sacrificing a counter attack for a back pass to the goalkeeper. That is the behavior of the average Nigerian public official. Nothing spectacular. Just play safe, keep your job, feed your family and life is good. More containers will fall, more people will die, the vicious circle will continue. Its a trajectory. I remember Suleiman Alledeh then if channels TV taking this up with the authorities and they sounded like that was the last. Here we are again. Everybody just pass the ball and move on. No be me spoil ball mentality.

A sad testimony of how we are as a people.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by HomeOfMe(f): 4:25pm On Jun 20, 2018
maclatunji:

The barriers will become hazards as the truck/tanker drivers will deliberately break them posing danger to any vehicle behind them.

It has been tried before and it failed. They just need to arrest them.
Our leaders know what to do but they just don't want to because they gain from chaos. With time motorists would get used to it if they get very strict and arrest offenders. If they start by making every truck from palmgrove or onipanu to go under the bridge even before they begin to get close to the barriers. Another way is strictly enforcing the rule that they should only travel between 10pm and 5am. Anyone who other motorists who also travels at the same time the trucks doare doing it at their own risk.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Organs(m): 4:45pm On Jun 20, 2018
maclatunji:

May God almighty bless you sir.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by CSTR1003: 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
Nigeriadondie:

It is sad that we live in a country were alue is not placed on lives.
I have written directly to the FRSC about general road safety and what has been done in advanced countries repeatedly but it seems it feel on deaf ears.
I would write a thread on road safety as it is here in the Scandinavia where I live.
Just yesterday I got a sad news that a friesnd of mine lost his dad after being crushed to death by a truck.
Abeg, how you take get Scandinavian visa?

That is the major thing now.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by willibounce1(m): 5:02pm On Jun 20, 2018
When fashola was in govt, he banned them from moving in the day. They were forced to move only in the middle of the night and these their accident reduced. our itesiwaju eko master has come to dabaru everything.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by CSTR1003: 5:14pm On Jun 20, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:

Biafran! No way, una mago mago too much....
Most of the people arrested for fraud in Europe and America are from yorubaland.

It seems you don't know yourself.

Man know thy self. Don't put your shitt on me.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by newoffer: 5:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
Lexusgs430:
Ambode is busy building a so-called mega city, ignoring the finer details ..........
. When CMS stinks with pee from Agbero. Igbo smokers everywhere. All the people employed are almost rogues due to their appearance and manners.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by newoffer: 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2018
orlard3:
Can the lashing of container stop it from falling? my little opinion is to put barrier on every Bridges for the trucks to always use d down part of d bridge.
. Engineers should test if the bridge is balance.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by maclatunji: 5:23pm On Jun 20, 2018
Organs:

May God almighty bless you sir.
Ameen O. You too.
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Albinoworwor: 5:35pm On Jun 20, 2018
Problem with this country is ENFORCEMENT OF LAWS. This same thing has happened before and it was mandated that every container must be latched before leaving the port.... What have after then

What happens with the government raising the rail on that bridge...maybe tomorrow it might not be a container

A country of medicine after death undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Lexusgs430: 5:37pm On Jun 20, 2018
newoffer:
. When CMS stinks with pee from Agbero. Igbo smokers everywhere. All the people employed are almost rogues due to their appearance and manners.

Only CMS ?
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
If the damn roads are fixed, the issue will stop
Re: Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads by CaptainFM1: 6:20pm On Jun 20, 2018
orlard3:
Can the lashing of container stop it from falling? my little opinion is to put barrier on every Bridges for the trucks to always use d down part of d bridge.

In addition to that, curved bridges like that of Ojuelegba should have speed limit. Virtually all vehicle will inclined when turning. Its just simple engineering principle...centre of gravity is dragged towards center of curvature. Lashing is good but its best to enforce speed limit on all curved bridges.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation / UK To Resume Visa Processing In Nigeria On July 28 / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.