Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,830 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil (3684 Views)

Yam And Palm Oil Supply: Good Quality, Full Quantity / Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? / What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by Lady2(f): 3:21am On Jun 05, 2010
Which of these oils do we use in Nigeria?
Is it Palm Oil or Palm Kernel Oil?

Palm Oil is from the fruit of the Palm tree, and Palm Kernel Oil is from the Kernel.

Palm Oil is cholesterol free, and Palm Kernel Oil is not.

So which is it?

I'm very health conscious, but I like eating Naija foods, and like using our authentic ingredients. So help would be needed here.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by MissyB1(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2010
We use both. Do we even care to differentiate?!

As long as it's red . . . . We're good to go.

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by Lady2(f): 9:01pm On Jun 05, 2010
lol but one is good and the other isn't. Oh if only we can differentiate.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by Sissy3(f): 8:00am On Jun 06, 2010
as far as we the people are concerned plam oil na palm oil no minus no plus grin grin grin

the only differentiation we make between oils is groundnut and palm oil

so like Missy said as long as its red, we go use am grin
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by splendore(m): 1:40pm On Jun 06, 2010
We use both. Do we even care to differentiate?!

As long as it's red . . . . We're good to go.

@ missy B
I dont think so,the truth of the matter is that the red oil is cholesterol free and that is the oil from the friut,

the bleached oil is the one that has cholesterol and that is palm kernel oil. It is the same one that people sometimes call 'groundnut oil'just because it is bleached. But in actual sense it palm kernel oil.

Even in the market it is always cheaper than the groundnut oil.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by Nobody: 4:04am On Jun 07, 2010
from the way it's prepared, i think the red one is palm oil.

which is what it's called anyway.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by MissyB1(m): 3:18pm On Jun 07, 2010
**Modified**
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by Hauwa1: 3:26pm On Jun 07, 2010
interesting! is this for real?.
thot they both have cholesterol. red oil has cholesterol and the blanched one is no different.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by MyJoe: 6:48pm On Jun 07, 2010
It is not bleached palm oil that creates palm kernel oil. Wherever did anyone get that from?

Palm oil comes from palm fruit, that is, it is extracted from the pulp of the oil palm. Palm kernel oil, on the other hand, comes from the stuff inside the pulp, called palm kernel. There are several methods of extracting palm kernel oil, but the traditional method is to heat the kernel in a dry pot till the oil shows up. The oil extracted in this way is blackish-brown and is not normally used in cooking but for traditional medicine and lubrication.

Palm oil is the traditional cooking ingredient, the "red" one commonly sold in markets all over Nigeria. But palm kernel oil has also found its place in frying, especially for commercial use. Both are vegetable oils and do not contain cholesterol. But they contain saturated fats which can increase the body's production of cholesterol.

2 Likes

Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by Hauwa1: 7:19pm On Jun 07, 2010
very clear now, that is the uden oji right? black oily pomade use to rub the body if one is sick.

Joe, thanks.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by MyJoe: 12:30pm On Jun 08, 2010
^^^ Right. Uden is what it is called where I grew up.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by Lady2(f): 10:29pm On Jun 11, 2010
thanks Joe.
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by dolci: 9:19am On Jun 21, 2010
i can suggest some very special oils.
you can order them to anywhere in the world.

http://www.bustanabraham.co.il
http://www.dolci.co.il
Re: Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil by topup: 4:22am On Jun 22, 2010
I'm afraid I'm not too sure, I've don't think I've seen packaging saying "Palm Kernel Oil", we use the orange looking oil at the top, thick in the middle and black at the bottom of the bottle PALM OIL - I assumed from Palm trees tongue

(1) (Reply)

Miltios Hazelnut Spread / Please, Does Anybody Know How To Make PANCAKE?? I Wanna Learn Please.... :D / What Is The English Name Of This Plant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.