Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola (11805 Views)

LASU Lied About Prof. Okebukola’s Age Falsification Scandal - Premium Times / Peter Okebukola In Age Falsification Scandal, Has Three Birth Dates / FG Appoints Jega, Peter Okebukola To Review Nigeria’s University System​ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 9:15am On Jun 22, 2018
oyetunder:
ANOTHER REASON:-Sex for marks...
Thank you. Sex for mark, Sorting for mark, cheating with mobile phones, intimidation by cultist etc.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 9:19am On Jun 22, 2018
ElsonMorali:
Because you teach us nonsense?
Have u tried comparing the work schedule of Nigerian university to that of foreign schools.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 9:36am On Jun 22, 2018
Wasky101:
No sir, it is because while you were at the helm of affairs there was a deliberate effort to relegate public universities while giving license to glorified secondary school to run as universities.
How does private uni impede the public ones? May jealousy not consume you.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 9:41am On Jun 22, 2018
NotComplaining:
Stupid question deserving an equally stupid answer.

How can a country begin to appraise its education when every institution but the 'National Assembly' is grossly under funded?

Nigerians are always asking the wrong questions.

A better question would be does Nigeria's FG give any respect to human rights? One of such rights is a right to equal education for all irrespective of social class.

Does Nigeria enforce the values of human rights? If so politicians would not send their children to school abroad in fear of reprisal.

We deserve better.
Before we talk of underfunding let us talk of mismanagement and leakages. The average ui and unilag graduate enjoys more than N300,000 in yearly subsidy from FG. Thanks to private schools we know what Ñ450,000 can negotiate for us.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by Hotzone(m): 9:42am On Jun 22, 2018
A situation were prof. Akindele and co make a choice to frustrate students because they didn't submit to the threat of dashing their kondo for mark, if it's the boys, they will pass with financial 'sorting', what can this situation be called in all our universities?
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 9:46am On Jun 22, 2018
UncleSnr:
You guys are in stone age. What have you ever contributed? You think writing paper for talk shows abi seminar will make me want to invest in your school, which I even know that the VC and other echelons will siphon.
Thanks. until the so called schools get their acts together and start preferring practical solutions to pressing issues in Nigeria no one will look them in the eye.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by kalu61(m): 9:54am On Jun 22, 2018
l agree in total but for poor enrollment, I disagree. We have millions of students seeking admission every years
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 9:54am On Jun 22, 2018
theoldpretender:
The problem is MONEY

He said it was pathetic that the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND) established by the Federal Government to fund tertiary institutions, could only give financial support to a few universities, while others were made to develop at slow pace.

And there it is....the cash is not there. Meanwhile,we insist on paying N40000 for degrees that should cost N600000 at least yearly. And Govt does not have the trillions...not billions...needed to fund universites.

Also

50 per cent of the institutions in Nigeria complained about epileptic power supply. Many of them rely on alternative power supply such as generators. This has resulted in increased cost of running the institutions.“About 37.5 per cent of the institutions perceived lack of support from the government through TETFund as a major setback in financing the development of infrastructure and they also complained of multiple-taxation.”

And weneed $300bn to fix power. Our reserves are at $40billion. Do the math.

Either we raise taxes, fees and whatnot...or we just close our eyes and take another LOAN....that our grandkids will still be paying.

The average ui and unilag student gets over Ñ300k in yearly subsidy so money isn't the main challenge but mismanagement and leakages. Private schools have opened our eyes.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 9:55am On Jun 22, 2018
Touchey:
I don't think the problem is funding. There is no good relationship between the lecturers and students. A large number of lecturers are sadists and killjoys for no reason
Correct! Lecturer know what senators get and won't sit down to watch suffering kill them.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by Wasky101: 9:58am On Jun 22, 2018
CodeTemplar:
How does private uni impede the public ones? May jealousy not consume you.
Jealousy?? I went to a private uni, arguably the best In the country, so no need to be jealous.
You want to know how? Ask your self how private secondary school ruined public schools and if u still don't understand Iet me know and I will take time out to explain to you
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 10:00am On Jun 22, 2018
theoldpretender:

ASUU/FG agreement in 2009 stated that foruniversites to be adequately funded we need to spent at least N1.5trillion yearly on JUST UNIVERSITES....note...JUST UNIVERSITES.

And the thing is, that money has not been paid since 2009...and the previous admin flat out told ASUU in 2013 that they could not pay the money.

Meanwhile,fees are kept low...because poverty.

The thing is, we need an education budget of at least N5 trillion yearly to make sure we have enough cash to fund universites. Our budget has never passed N10 trillion. Even NationalAssembly, the greedy fellows,spend N1trillion yearly.
The funding is adequate because the FG subsidizes the average ui and unilag graduate with over N300k yearly. thats more than some good private university charge. Mismanagement and leakages are king.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 10:04am On Jun 22, 2018
Wasky101:

Jealousy?? I went to a private uni, arguably the best In the country, so no need to be jealous.
You want to know how? Ask your self how private secondary school ruined public schools and if u still don't understand Iet me know and I will take time out to explain to you
Private secondary sch didn't ruin public ones.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by Originalsly: 10:04am On Jun 22, 2018
Didn't read much...but he should shut up..... what he has to say now he should've been saying while he held office and was in position to bring about change. Hypocrite.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 10:06am On Jun 22, 2018
Hotzone:
A situation were prof. Akindele and co make a choice to frustrate students because they didn't submit to the threat of dashing their kondo for mark, if it's the boys, they will pass with financial 'sorting', what can this situation be called in all our universities?
The graduates of those schools say it is preparing them for the society.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 10:07am On Jun 22, 2018
Originalsly:
Didn't read much...but he should shut up..... what he has to say now he should've been saying while he held office and was in position to bring about change. Hypocrite.
He has been saying it for ages. google is ur friend.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by writeprof(m): 10:10am On Jun 22, 2018
And Govt does not have the trillions...not billions...needed to fund universites.

[i]50 per cent of the institutions in Nigeria complained about epileptic power supply. Many of them rely on alternative power supply such as generators.

Either we raise taxes, fees and whatnot...or we just close our eyes and take another LOAN....

Do you have idea the amount being stolen from the nation's coffers every day? NIGERIA HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO MAKE ALL UNIVERSITIES WORLD CLASS!

TAXATION IN NIGERIA CANNOT WORK. IT IS ROBBERY. IN DEVELOPED WORLDS, PEOPLE GLADLY PAY TAXES BECAUSE THEY SEE SERVICE DELIVERY.
NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES SHOULD HAVE THEIR INDEPENDENT POWER PLANTS!

Okebukola is not saying there is no money but that education is not seen as priority to be funded maximally.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by Myrealface: 10:12am On Jun 22, 2018
I came across this piece & I think it's worth sharing...

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 10:20am On Jun 22, 2018
writeprof:

And Govt does not have the trillions...not billions...needed to fund universites.

[i]50 per cent of the institutions in Nigeria complained about epileptic power supply. Many of them rely on alternative power supply such as generators.

Either we raise taxes, fees and whatnot...or we just close our eyes and take another LOAN....

Do you have idea the amount being stolen from the nation's coffers every day? NIGERIA HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO MAKE ALL UNIVERSITIES WORLD CLASS!

TAXATION IN NIGERIA CANNOT WORK. IT IS ROBBERY. IN DEVELOPED WORLDS, PEOPLE GLADLY PAY TAXES BECAUSE THEY SEE SERVICE DELIVERY.

Okebukola is not saying there is no money but that education is not seen as priority to be funded maximally.
Oga funding public universities further is like giving the senate and reps more constituency project funds. There is huge leakage in those universities.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by ElsonMorali: 10:38am On Jun 22, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Have u tried comparing the work schedule of Nigerian university to that of foreign schools.

Do I need to?

I compare Nigerian graduates with graduates of "foreign schools" and that's enough for me.

The result? Abysmal.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by theoldpretender(m): 10:43am On Jun 22, 2018
CodeTemplar:
The funding is adequate because the FG subsidizes the average ui and unilag graduate with over N300k yearly. thats more than some good private university charge. Mismanagement and leakages are king.

1. Private university fees range from 500000-1.2million naira annually.

2.ASUU/FG agreement put funding per student at 300000 annually. That was in 2009 and that was supposed to be part of the 3trillion naira over 2 years in extra funding that was promised....
And that never got. Paid

3.I agree with you about the mismanagement. What makes it painful is that it is a tiny fund they are mismanaging
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by Jaqenhghar: 10:59am On Jun 22, 2018
Truth is even if you empty all the coffers i switzerland into the Shithole education sector, the only thing that will change is we will have fatter VCs and fatter lecturers. Standards will remain the same .
Niggerians are not even people who admire knowledge so what are we saying
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by Chukwuka16: 11:01am On Jun 22, 2018
It is quite unfortunate that the issue of funding has become a cliche.

Funding is not the problem, what the problem has been all along is unqualified staffing. The idea of pumping funds into universities makes no sense if the universities cannot use such funds to remain viable and also spin-off other money making ventures.

For instance, a university like UKZN in South Africa doesn't charge tuition fees for its postgraduate students (MSc/PhD) who are conducting their studies by research. However, the school is able to generate funds from its publications because the government pays the university bulk sum for any paper published in peer recognised journals.

Why can't the government in Nigeria tie its funding of universities to output. This way universities would be forced to recruit staff who can maintain a good publication profile.

Publications matter in academia because that is a way of publicizing an institution, selling an idea and establishing reputation in a field. If a lab receives money from govt because of its publications within a year, that can spur them to say upgrade their labs to be able to conduct more cutting edge research that will generate more research papers and more funding.

But in a situation where lecturers/professors in Nigeria do not even high publications that can earn them top scores on say researchgate or elicit citations from around the world, one wonders their boldness in clamouring for funding.

How many lecturers can boast of 10-15 peer refereed journal articles in Q1/Q2 journals (ISI indexed)? How many professors can even boast of a REF 4* journal in their entire careers? Yet they are not scared to mention trillions!

Until universities learn to flood their staffing with qualified products they are not ready to evolve.

Universities don't need funding to attract grants, no, they need experts who have the clout to do so. In the midst of the perversion within the university system, we still have excellent academics attracting grants from international organisations in the hundreds even millions of dollars.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by theoldpretender(m): 11:20am On Jun 22, 2018
writeprof:

Read the ASUU/FG 2009 agreement

Then, it was saying that we need at least N1.5 trillion every year in extra funding to make things work fully.

There is looting yes...but the thing is, we also don't have enough money. Even if we collected all the loot back...we still have a lot of things to fund (like Power which needs N5trillion alone...twenty years ago,railways which need to be expanded, and primary and secondary schools too...and a lot ofother things.).

PLUS we are not earning enough from oil . If we want to earn enough fromoil...our break even price is $140 per barrel...not this $70 we are jumping up and down about (That is when resource control starts making sense...if each and every region decides to becomeproductive. Sadly tribalism has messed up the argument)

As for universites having independent power plants.....those cost millions of dollars to build. Averageuniversity that does not get up to N500million in ayear...most of which goes for salaries. Even big universites like ABU that have overheads of N600millionper annum get only N120million
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 11:21am On Jun 22, 2018
theoldpretender:

1. Private university fees range from 500000-1.2million naira annually.

2.ASUU/FG agreement put funding per student at 300000 annually. That was in 2009 and that was supposed to be part of the 3trillion naira over 2 years in extra funding that was promised....
And that never got. Paid

3.I agree with you about the mismanagement. What makes it painful is that it is a tiny fund they are mismanaging
So N300,000 is tiny? The actual figure for UI stands at 430,000. I only summarized that 300k.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 11:24am On Jun 22, 2018
ElsonMorali:

Do I need to?

I compare Nigerian graduates with graduates of "foreign schools" and that's enough for me.

The result? Abysmal.
The course schedule are very similar most times so stop saying they teach you rubbish.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by theoldpretender(m): 11:24am On Jun 22, 2018
Chukwuka16:
It is quite unfortunate that the issue of funding has become a cliche.

Funding is not the problem, what the problem has been all along is unqualified staffing. The idea of pumping funds into universities makes no sense if the universities cannot use such funds to remain viable and also spin-off other money making ventures.

For instance, a university like UKZN in South Africa doesn't charge tuition fees for its postgraduate students (MSc/PhD) who are conducting their studies by research. However, the school is able to generate funds from its publications because the government pays the university bulk sum for any paper published in peer recognised journals.

Why can't the government in Nigeria tie its funding of universities to output. This way universities would be forced to recruit staff who can maintain a good publication profile.

Publications matter in academia because that is a way of publicizing an institution, selling an idea and establishing reputation in a field. If a lab receives money from govt because of its publications within a year, that can spur them to say upgrade their labs to be able to conduct more cutting edge research that will generate more research papers and more funding.

But in a situation where lecturers/professors in Nigeria do not even high publications that can earn them top scores on say researchgate or elicit citations from around the world, one wonders their boldness in clamouring for funding.

How many lecturers can boast of 10-15 peer refereed journal articles in Q1/Q2 journals (ISI indexed)? How many professors can even boast of a REF 4* journal in their entire careers? Yet they are not scared to mention trillions!

Until universities learn to flood their staffing with qualified products they are not ready to evolve.

Universities don't need funding to attract grants, no, they need experts who have the clout to do so. In the midst of the perversion within the university system, we still have excellent academics attracting grants from international organisations in the hundreds even millions of dollars.

You make goodpoints....until we come to the realisation that the reason why we cannot dogood research...publish good papers is THE SAME FUNDING.

Especially in STEM courses. Many Nigerian unis don't have well equiped lab facilities. So, how can someone do worldbeating research? And attract funding as a result ?

Some research involves travelling..and you expect unviersities that are having diffiuclty meeting overheads to adequately fund research travelling?

Doesn't mean you made a bad argument though...I agree with your points.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by theoldpretender(m): 11:28am On Jun 22, 2018
CodeTemplar:
So N300,000 is tiny? The actual figure for UI stands at 430,000. I only summarized that 300k.

Some experts were putting annual funding per student at N600000 a few ywars ago.(Chief Afe Babalola put it even higher).

Also, I doubt most universites even see that N450000. (Oil prices have been fluctuating since 2014, and have been under $100 since 2015).

In my opinion (and this is my personal opinion mind)...we even need much higher funds than that. 430000 naira is about 1300 us dollars. Some colleges/unis in the US have fees three times that.(sorry to bring in USA...but that is what somepeople have in mind when they talk improved facilties)
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 11:31am On Jun 22, 2018
theoldpretender:

Read the ASUU/FG 2009 agreement

Then, it was saying that we need at least N1.5 trillion every year in extra funding to make things work fully.

There is looting yes...but the thing is, we also don't have enough money. Even if we collected all the loot back...we still have a lot of things to fund (like Power which needs N5trillion alone...twenty years ago,railways which need to be expanded, and primary and secondary schools too...and a lot ofother things.).

PLUS we are not earning enough from oil . If we want to earn enough fromoil...our break even price is $140 per barrel...not this $70 we are jumping up and down about (That is when resource control starts making sense...if each and every region decides to becomeproductive. Sadly tribalism has messed up the argument)

As for universites having independent power plants.....those cost millions of dollars to build. Averageuniversity that does not get up to N500million in ayear...most of which goes for salaries. Even big universites like ABU that have overheads of N600millionper annum get only N120million
What does Nigerians uni contribute to the society. Their overall impact morally and labour wise is below the input they get from the society.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by CodeTemplar: 11:36am On Jun 22, 2018
theoldpretender:

Some experts were putting annual funding per student at N600000 a few ywars ago.(Chief Afe Babalola put it even higher).

Also, I doubt most universites even see that N450000. (Oil prices have been fluctuating since 2014, and have been under $100 since 2015).

In my opinion (and this is my personal opinion mind)...we even need much higher funds than that. 430000 naira is about 1300 us dollars. Some colleges/unis in the US have fees three times that.(sorry to bring in USA...but that is what somepeople have in mind when they talk improved facilties)
This beggarly mentality of oil prices must stop. How do nations with no oil or natural resource to survive fund education? Who is the baboon that will work and pay huge tax then watch as secret society people hijack the admission slots? We must address corruption or restructure economically.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by ElsonMorali: 11:38am On Jun 22, 2018
CodeTemplar:
The course schedule are very similar most times so stop saying they teach you rubbish.

Go to my first post and discover the presence of a question mark there. Go on...
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by obi123: 12:44pm On Jun 22, 2018
A key problem is lack of statistics, how can you say you want to compete internationally or even locally when you haven't measured anything.
You dont even know where you are talkless of where you want to go

Schools abroad count/measure EVERYTHING and it helps in benchmarking against competitors , it helps make a case for additional funding , it is when you know what you have that you know what you dont have and know what you need.

Schools abroad know exactly how many students they have , they know how many books are on the shelves in the libraries, they know how many study seats/spaces, how many working sockets are in the libraries , they know the ratio of lecturer to student on each course .

They know their exact budget and their expenditure and seek external funding from many places.

They have records of everything so there is little or no waste.

They measure every damn thing so that they know what is outstanding and work towards ensuring that students are getting value for their money .

Also what is the standard in Nigeria really? what are we benchmarking against?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola by Chukwuka16: 12:57pm On Jun 22, 2018
theoldpretender:

You make goodpoints....until we come to the realisation that the reason why we cannot dogood research...publish good papers is THE SAME FUNDING.

Especially in STEM courses. Many Nigerian unis don't have well equiped lab facilities. So, how can someone do worldbeating research? And attract funding as a result ?

Some research involves travelling..and you expect unviersities that are having diffiuclty meeting overheads to adequately fund research travelling?

Doesn't mean you made a bad argument though...I agree with your points.

I quite agree with you especially on the issue of labs but hey labs are now online nowadays especially for physical sciences and most engineering courses. The prevalence of software now facilitates simulation and prototyping without actual construction or lab set up since those software can create lab conditions.

The problem is that software exposes the lacuna of Nigerian academics especially their mathematical, problem formulation and conceptualization skills.

Charity they say begins at home. Before someone will want to make an aeroplane he would start with making something simpler still employing basic principles of flotation and buoyancy. However our fathers in the Lord want to have clean labs for nanotechnology experiments when they can't even explain the process of silicon doping.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Defence Academy 64th Regular Course / Jamb Rules Out Extension Of Utme Forms Sale / Is There School Tomorrow In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.