Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,399 members, 7,781,154 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:54 AM

Argentina Coach Could Be Sacked Before Super Eagles Game - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina Coach Could Be Sacked Before Super Eagles Game (464 Views)

Pinnick: New Foreign Coach Could Lead Super Eagles To 2021 AFCON / Iheanacho, Awaziem, Omeruo Organised Sex Party On Eve The Super Eagles Game / Argentina Coach's Notebook Reveals Tactical Work Ahead Of Nigeria Match (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Argentina Coach Could Be Sacked Before Super Eagles Game by teddynaijaboy: 10:32am On Jun 22, 2018
Argentina coach, Jorge Sampaoli could be sacked before their final Group D fixture against the Super Eagles on June 26.

According to reports, Jorge Sampaoli is facing a fight to keep his job, after a 3-0 defeat to Croatia on Thursday night.

The shock loss to Croatia was Argentina’s heaviest loss in the group stages of the World Cup, since they were spanked 6-1 by Czechoslovakia in 1958.

The underwhelming result follows a disappointing 1-1 draw with Iceland in their opening game and leaves the Albiceleste on the brink of an early exit in Russia 2018 World Cup.

This means the two-time winners and three-time finalists now need to beat the Super Eagles in their final game – and hope other results go their way – to have any chance of progressing from the group stages.

Speaking after the whitwashing by Croatia, Sampaoli accepted he was at fault for the loss. He said;

“I am the one who needs to make the final decision.

“The key to our defeat related to my responsibility because I am the coach. Had I set things out differently, things may have turned out better. I don’t think it is right to put the burden on Caballero.

“I don’t know about shame, but I definitely feel pain. It’s been a long time as a coach since I’ve been through this experience and it’s much more painful when I’m wearing the jersey of my country.

“[In the last match] we have to fight, give it our all, and we really have no other alternative. There’s pain because we weren’t at the level that the Argentine people expect of us.”

Source: https://lailasnews.com/argentina-coach-could-be-sacked-before-super-eagles-game/

Lalasticlala, semid4lyfe, honeric01

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Score Against Argentina – Musa / MLS All-star Fan XI: Zlatan Ibrahimovic Makes The Cut / A Penalty Not Awarded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.