Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,363 members, 7,780,996 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:11 AM

The Medical Team - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Medical Team (467 Views)

Scholarship Hunting For Potential International Students In The Medical Sciences / What Is Your Experience In The Medical Screening At Nigerian Defence Academy / How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Medical Team by 2lola: 3:30pm On Jun 22, 2018
THEY_RUINED_OUR_TEAM When we were admitted into the university, some of us were in Nursing Sciences, Optometry, Medical Laboratory Science, Physiology, Anatomy, Medicine and Surgery, Physiotherapy, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Radiology etc. We were subjected to general studies (GNS). We were taught by mathematicians, chemists Education teachers, physicists and philosophers. Since they knew little or nothing about the slight differences in our course of study, they addressed us by a general name: Medical and Health Sciences. We made friends amongst one another. " What's your department? " I'd asked. " Nursing sciences. " " Wow! I 'm in Medicine and Surgery. Meet my friend, she's in Pharmacy." That way, we became bound by the cords of friendship, and we read at the lecture theatres. We had one common goal: to pass our exams. We put our heads together in solving the past questions for that semester. Bunmi my Pharmacist friend, was good at Mathematics. Nelson was the English teacher. Ekene the Nursing guy, was a wizard in Chemistry. I loved Biology, and Ahmed my Optometry friend taught us Physics. Together, we solved the past questions, taught and complimented each other. Now towards our third Year in school, things started to go sour, and South. Bunmi would pass and just wave. Kayode would just brag when he sees me. Ekene barely would talk to me, and whenever Ahmed picked my calls, I 'd feel like I owed God a testimony. Each of us had the key to our respective classes and we locked them against every other student that wasn't in our department. The center could no longer hold - things fell apart: " They should have considered it a privilege to be associated with me." " Oh, I didn't tell you? " Towards our third year in school, we had new lecturers with entirely different mindsets , behaviors and speech. They were our seniors in the profession. They'd availed themselves so we could be taught. Pharmacists taught the Pharmacy students. Doctors taught the student Doctors. Researchers taught physiologists and anatomists. Scientists taught the student Scientists. Matrons taught the student Nurses. Every thing went fine, until we were introduced to a strange course; a course not found in the curriculum. But we learnt it. It was injected into us, and it went straight into our heads and our minds absorbed them. They were injections of words. We were told to uphold our disciplines with great esteem and never to accept any humiliation from anybody. They told us that we were superior to other departments. Student laboratory scientists were told that without the laboratory, the hospital is handicapped. Physiologists and anatomist were told to assumed the position of knowing sources, claiming that without research and experiments, medicine is useless. The Nursing students were told that they were indispensable. The student Doctors were told that they were general overseers. The Pharmacists assumed the appellation ; Bedrock of Medical Practice. These may not be entirely false, but the next words injected in us triggered the hatred, ego rise and envy. We were told of how other departments in the same medical field hated us; of the need to stand up and uphold the fight because other departments are jealous of ours and wants to humiliate us. We were told that medical doctors were arrogant and hence we'd give them no room for such display. We were told that nurses were insulting, hence, all relationships with them should be kept at a highly official level and with great consciousness of our ego; that the basic medical scientists were poke - nosing into our territory, so we must annihilate them as possibly as we can. We were taught to esteem our ego and defend our profession against our 'foes' in the same field. No wonder we now feel insecure amongst ourselves - the injection really worked. Sadly, as I bleed in my heart writing this, I recalled our first years, when our minds were like virgins. We were together and we all had one mind and one goal - The Exam. Now we are faced with a bigger goal - The patient. But, we aren't together. So, How can we Pass? They've ruined our team. Written by Isaiah Ugochukwu Obialor (Student Medlab Scientist) Reviewed by Iruke Kingsley Chukwuebuka (Student Optometrist) Edited by Wisdom Ngumoha (Student Doctor) Fore worded by Ogechi Blessing Godwin (Student Nurse) And Arugo Wisdom (Student Pharmacist) Re-edited by Whyte (1st year physiologist) Nigerian Medical Sector *There's no "I" in TEAM*

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Medical Team by TeflonBlixx: 3:35pm On Jun 22, 2018
Great!!

The chasm that exists amongst the medical and health science students should be gotten rid of. It is of no practical use filling students with dumb stories of how they are better than others. Talk about misplaced priorities.

(1) (Reply)

UNIMED 2018/19 Pre-degree Programme Admission Form Out / Funai Students Stopped From Writing Final Year Exams / 10 Dengerous Roads You Should Run From It Dont Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.