Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

United We Stand - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / United We Stand (360 Views)

Manchester United: We do not condone violence of any kind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

United We Stand by Julivas(m): 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2018
Yesterday, in far away Russia, in the ongoing 2018 World Cup, Nigeria defeated Iceland. Ekong (Ibibio) passed the ball to Balogun (Yoruba) who found Mikel Obi (Igbo) who laid the pass to Moses (Christian) who sent the vital cross that Ahmed Musa(Muslim) scored for Nigeria.

For a moment, I looked around as Nigerians who barely knew each other jubilated and celebrated our victory. Almost every person, complete strangers to every other person, was hugging their neigbhours, patting backs and clinking glasses,just like long lost friends.

I waited to hear somebody say Moses' pass was unacceptable, because it was from a Christian, an "infidel", or Musa's goal was from a Muslim, "son of the bond woman, the Ismail generation."

I did not even see any person query Moses' State of origin, or whether Musa was the son of Fulani herdsman from Sokoto or Kano.

I did not hear from anyone asking whether Balogun worships the god of Shango, thunder, fire, water or 'ekpo ntokeyen'.

We celebrated and rejoiced. Nobody remembered those things we use to divide ourselves as Nigerians.

For a moment, I asked myself, is this not how we should always see ourselves?

Do we realise that God made us Jews and Gentiles, Christians and Muslims, with different faces, colours, height, shapes, sizes, creed and belief for a purpose?

I ask,when we discriminate and segregate on the basis of either religion or where God has taken us in life, are we living by the word of God to love ALL, and hate NONE. Let us be the change we want to see in others. The enemy we are looking for may be right inside us. Just thinking!

... COPIED

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: United We Stand by gidgiddy: 2:03pm On Jun 23, 2018
Julivas:
Yesterday, in far away Russia, in the ongoing 2018 World Cup, Nigeria defeated Iceland. Ekong (Ibibio) passed the ball to Balogun (Yoruba) who found Mikel Obi (Igbo) who laid the pass to Moses (Christian) who sent the vital cross that Ahmed Musa(Muslim) scored for Nigeria.

For a moment, I looked around as Nigerians who barely knew each other jubilated and celebrated our victory. Almost every person, complete strangers to every other person, was hugging their neigbhours, patting backs and clinking glasses,just like long lost friends.

I waited to hear somebody say Moses' pass was unacceptable, because it was from a Christian, an "infidel", or Musa's goal was from a Muslim, "son of the bond woman, the Ismail generation."

I did not even see any person query Moses' State of origin, or whether Musa was the son of Fulani herdsman from Sokoto or Kano.

I did not hear from anyone asking whether Balogun worships the god of Shango, thunder, fire, water or 'ekpo ntokeyen'.

We celebrated and rejoiced. Nobody remembered those things we use to divide ourselves as Nigerians.

For a moment, I asked myself, is this not how we should always see ourselves?

Do we realise that God made us Jews and Gentiles, Christians and Muslims, with different faces, colours, height, shapes, sizes, creed and belief for a purpose?

I ask,when we discriminate and segregate on the basis of either religion or where God has taken us in life, are we living by the word of God to love ALL, and hate NONE. Let us be the change we want to see in others. The enemy we are looking for may be right inside us. Just thinking!

... COPIED

If the unity of your country can only be seen the National team scores then your country is a joke.

What you saw was not unity amongst Nigerians but people celebrating their love of football
Re: United We Stand by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 23, 2018
Yes united we stand

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I WILL BE BanNED TOMORROW. WHY? / Man. United In Talks To Sign Lee Grant / France V Argentina Prediction & Betting Preview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.