Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections (698 Views)

This Is A New Nigeria, An Alliance Of North And South-West - Femi Fani-Kayode / 2023 Elections Are An Improvement On 2003, 2007 And 2019 Elections - Reno Omokri / 2019 ELECTIONS: Saraki, Dogara’s Supporters Consider ADC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by papatnoni(m): 9:30pm On Jun 23, 2018
Firstly I'll love to start with one of Fela Durotoye's posts on Instagram. He wrote, "2019 Election is not just an election, it is a junction in the history of our Nation, it's a junction between going forward to our future or going back to our past, we are going to have to decide if we want to go back to what it is that we've always heard, then that's what you want to give to your children; that's fine, but if you want to go forward to give your children a new Nation that they will be proud of and you yourself will be proud to bring your passport out if you go anywhere else in the world. A new Nation where things work not just for few people but for everybody, a new Nation where anybody can become somebody just by giving their best to what they are doing, a new Nation where there's no Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, a new Nation where all of us are first Nigerian and Nigeria works for everybody, then we need that new Nation and it is 2019 that we are going to vote for that Nation, we are not voting for people; we are voting for the Nation."
Wow, what a wonderful speech! I have been following Fela Durotoye for a while before he declared his intention for the 2019 presidential election. When I confirmed his intention to run for president, I was happy and shared the news on my social media pages (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. However, that will not stop me from sharing my view and saying the truth. I came across a post in April that Omoyele Sowore, Thomas-Wilson Ikubese, Kingsley Moghalu, Fela Durotoye, Donald Duke, Funmilayo Adesanya-Davies, Enyinnaya Nnaemeka Nwosu, Ahmed Buhari, Adesanya Fegbenro-Bryon, Charles Udeogaranya, Adamu Garba II, Mathias TsadoMathias Tsado, Eniola Ojajuni, Olu James Omosule, Tope Fasua among others had declared their intentions to contest the election. The post revealed their ages, achievements, previous offices, and other details. Im only interested in the aforementioned aspirants because most of them are under 50-year-old. Since that day, different thoughts have been going through my mind as a concerned Nigerian who's also tired of the state of the country. I will love to taste of the good part of this great nation because I've been opportune to have conversations with some elderly people that enjoyed the good side of Nigeria and I've been told of how good Nigeria was then. Some said they gave them cars during their service year, while some shared their experiences on how they didn't struggle to get jobs. Things were very cheap then and the Naira was very important and valuable. Those were the days when the Naira was more respected than the Pounds Sterling. Traveling overseas was easy because you didn't have to travel there to start hustling like now. I even learnt that people used to come from overseas to study in Nigeria (at University of Ibadan and others). All these good experiences they shared coupled with my thoughts led me to come to a conclusion.
Sirs, if truly you're all interested in the betterment of Nigeria and not that you're been used by our leaders (politrickians) to divide the youths votes in order for them to have their way, I see no reason why you all can't come together to talk/discuss. If possible, disagree to agree and come out with a positive decision by uniting under one body in order for our votes to count. I have gone through/heard of the speech which contain your plans for the betterment of Nigeria and all you all want is better future for Nigeria, then why can't you all come together to defeat these old men? Sirs, I want you all to forget the fact that it's one of you that will become the President, which doesn't mean anything as the rest could go for other offices. With this, all sensible youths that are interested in the great future of the country will back you up with all they have. As of now, most youths are confused on who to vote for. Some have not even bothered to get their PVCs because they believe their votes will not count (I say this because Ive interviewed many of them). However, Im sure that by the time they see something of this nature, they would be forced to get their PVCs.
Nigerian youths, please don't be carried away as most of the people showing interest in the forthcoming presidential election are only acting. They have been paid by our so-called leaders to frame up their interest in a bid for the votes of the youths to be divided in order for them to retain the seat.
To be candid with you all sirs, none of you can get there alone and as Fela Durotoye also said in one of his posts, "Nigerians all across want a new Nigeria. This is not about Fela Durotoye, this is about the Nigeria that people want, and that's why people are adjoining together and it's not just about getting Fela Durotoye to become President, because even if Fela Durotoye becomes President and we still have the people that throw chairs in the legislature, they are still going to hold our bills and say if you don't pad it, they won't approve the budget. The point that we are making is that we need a whole transformation, 'we need to drain the swamp' <Donald Trump>. And that's what is exciting people. This is not just about getting one man elected; this is about getting a whole generation to win an election. If you should go by this, then the election shouldn't be about Donald Duke, Fela Durotoye, Omoyele Sowore etc, the election should be about getting a whole generation to win an election. The forthcoming election should be about our generation and if truly all the aforementioned men have the desire to serve, then they should team up and do something now before it's too late. The youths votes are already divided and Im sure many Nigerians will love to see these set of people at the helm of affairs of the nation come 2019.

Banjo Oluwatobiloba A.
IG: callme_papat
FB: facebook.com/kay4talk
Twitter: @kay4talk

Re: The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by Gggg102(m): 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2018
which of them?

1 Like

Re: The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by luvmijeje(f): 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2018
I love the new faces and fresh blood that are coming out. But my issue with them is that they are too lazy to build up political base but rather want to jump to the top without putting in the effort.

What's wrong with vying for governor or any position in local or State level, if they are that popular? They are wasting their time and money.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by Gggg102(m): 3:59pm On Jul 06, 2018
the thing is Buhari has a very high probability of winning. there are no two ways about it. sure majority want Buhari out of office.
if elections conducted by voting people out, there wouldn't be a problem and Buhari would obviously lose based on popular opinion. however, election are conducted by voting people in, and the person with the highest number of votes to get in wins. it doesn't matter if majority votes against him, what matters is that majority voted for him.

let's say 70% want Buhari to lose 2019 and 30% want him to win. using common sense Buhari would easily lose, but elections don't just work like this.
if the 70% against Buhari vote for the same candidate, Buhari would lose but as it turns out, these 70% are not supporting the same candidate.
let's say the opposition are; Atiku, Duke, Sowore, Fela, others.

others, referring to the lesser known aspirants that could take a combined total of 10% votes, the more known 4 would now have to share a total of 60% of the votes.

Atiku could get 25% vote as a result of his popularity and influence as a former VP.

Duke could get 20% vote as he is also popular and influential.

Sowore could get 15% as he is a rogue with growing followership.

Fela could get 10% as he isn't as popular as the rest...

Buhari keeps his 30% as a result of his followeship and incumbency.

if things turn out like this, Buhari wins 2019 even though majority(70%) voted against him, because majority(30%) voted him in.

if power is to change hands, these guys have to meet and form a coalition with a good candidate as a face while the others pull their weight behind this face, the combined force would be more than enough to unseat Buhari.

someone should point out this to these aspirant.

no magic can cause any of them to singlehandedly defeat Buhari.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by papatnoni(m): 10:16am On Jul 10, 2018
Nothing stop them from being the next president and i don't think it is a wrong step but my fear is how they can overpower our leaders which is the reason why i suggest the merge.
luvmijeje:
I love the new faces and fresh blood that are coming out. But my issue with them is that they are too lazy to build up political base but rather want to jump to the top without putting in the effort.

What's wrong with vying for governor or any position in local or State level, if they are that popular? They are wasting their time and money.
Re: The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by papatnoni(m): 10:18am On Jul 10, 2018
All of them as the writer is not canvassing for anyone rather suggesting a way out. Maybe you should go through the post so that you'll understand my point well
Gggg102:
which of them?
Re: The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by papatnoni(m): 10:20am On Jul 10, 2018
Thank you for this comment and for analysis it well which is what the post is all about. it shows you really read and digest it...
Gggg102:
the thing is Buhari has a very high probability of winning. there are no two ways about it. sure majority want Buhari out of office.
if elections conducted by voting people out, there wouldn't be a problem and Buhari would obviously lose based on popular opinion. however, election are conducted by voting people in, and the person with the highest number of votes to get in wins. it doesn't matter if majority votes against him, what matters is that majority voted for him.

let's say 70% want Buhari to lose 2019 and 30% want him to win. using common sense Buhari would easily lose, but elections don't just work like this.
if the 70% against Buhari vote for the same candidate, Buhari would lose but as it turns out, these 70% are not supporting the same candidate.
let's say the opposition are; Atiku, Duke, Sowore, Fela, others.

others, referring to the lesser known aspirants that could take a combined total of 10% votes, the more known 4 would now have to share a total of 60% of the votes.

Atiku could get 25% vote as a result of his popularity and influence as a former VP.

Duke could get 20% vote as he is also popular and influential.

Sowore could get 15% as he is a rogue with growing followership.

Fela could get 10% as he isn't as popular as the rest...

Buhari keeps his 30% as a result of his followeship and incumbency.

if things turn out like this, Buhari wins 2019 even though majority(70%) voted against him, because majority(30%) voted him in.

if power is to change hands, these guys have to meet and form a coalition with a good candidate as a face while the others pull their weight behind this face, the combined force would be more than enough to unseat Buhari.

someone should point out this to these aspirant.

no magic can cause any of them to singlehandedly defeat Buhari.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Form An Alliance For 2019 Elections by Gggg102(m): 6:16am On Jul 16, 2018
papatnoni:
Thank you for this comment and for analysis it well which is what the post is all about. it shows you really read and digest it...

yeah. 2019 will be serious.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Obiano: I Will Make Awka The New Dubai / Vice President Of Nigeria, Yemi Osibanjo Celebrates Wife 51st Birthday (photos) / Atiku Officially Declares To Run For President Under PDP (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.