Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. (91202 Views)

Stop Wasting Your Money On Data!! / Affordable European Standard Samsung Led Tvs (used & New) / How Nigerians Access Instant Loans On Fairmoney Without Collateral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by happney65: 1:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
krattoss:
I think the op went too far in his analysis..

How on earth do people waste money in UHD and quantum led tvs when there are hdmi s in the market undecided

I use Samsung 42 inches led TV but with the help of hdmi.. I get ultra high definition resolutions.. cool

Bros,How much did you buy the Samsung 42 inches jare?Thanks
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by GreyBlood: 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
I've got 2 movies that are 4k,one is around 14gb and the other is more than 15gb. At the initial time I thought they were seasonal movies but no, they're just 4k movies. The 2 movies have never played on my laptop, they keep skipping and I kept wondering whats wrong with my vlc. It was later that I understood that the resolution of the movies are way higher than what my laptop can handle.

13 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Emekus92(m): 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
TechCapon:
Thanks
how much b d TV
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by BraveDeltan(m): 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thanks for the great insight. I am planning of buying a flat screen soon. Your advice has come in very handy. Appreciate

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by tolani4real: 1:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
stefanweeks:
Just one question for the O.P

Is it your money?
Thanks for asking that question
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 2:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
chukzyfcbb:
if you are the type that's not so freaked about latest inventions and upgrades, and you needbto get a TV. I will say go for the latest! It will still stand out in years to come.

Imagine Buying a 720p TV now and you may not change this TV in the next 6yrs or more, that TV may look funny/ugly to you in 6-7yrs time. But if you go for the latest, even in 6yrs time when other inventions may have come out. Your 6years old 4k TV will still stand out.

Dunno if someone is understanding me smiley

The world would have moved to 8k
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Ellixlimswag(m): 2:01pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:
You are underestimating Nigerians. I use a 4K with Netflix and I’m not the only one.

There are also lots of 4K videos on YouTube which I can stream from my YouTube app.

The fact that you subscribe for 1gb does not mean everyone else does same. I was recently amazed at the number of Nigerians who have ditched dstv for Netflix, many who haven’t are limited by their TV’s capabilities.

So, maybe you should look deeper, before casting ill thought aspersions.

Buy the TV you can afford and move on, don't hate on people's TV even if they don't maximize on its capabilities, it is somewhat sadistic.
you don watch 4k this week?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Ugosample(m): 2:01pm On Jun 24, 2018
maynia:
Just remembered one of Mayweather videos showing off one of is Maybach
He didn't get the pronunciation properly
The person he was showing him off corrected him
And mayweather said:
You know how to pronounce it
I know how to buy it

LMAO

Interesting
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Ellixlimswag(m): 2:02pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

haha next 20 years na like 200k
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by okwabayi(m): 2:02pm On Jun 24, 2018
I do not agree with this article. It also looks like an edit of a 2015 foreign article I once read, the only difference being Nigerians added to the title and body.

Unlike 2015 there are a lot of sources for 4K content: UHD blu rays, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon's streaming services, PS4, Xbox one and Vimeo. Before one can consume them all 4K will become common place.

OP has also never heard of X265 encoding, another reason why his article is outdated. A 5 min 4K video might eat up 2GB but with X265 encoding may take up around 300 - 400MB with only a negligible loss of quality.

DStv's explora 2 decoder may support 4K before it gets removed from the market. If it doesn't then for sure the next iteration of the company's decoder will support it.
I also know websites where one can download 4K movies in X265 format for ~2 - 15GB as opposed to 48+GB.

4K is mainstream, if you know where to look.

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Btruth: 2:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
nice enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by kayjay69(m): 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
You be case I swear grin grin
soberdrunk:
Nigerians nor send this type of analysis, so long as it is expensive and fine they will buy. I remember walking into one of the Foauni stores and one of the attendants started marketing a Tv that cost "8 million naira" to me, even if i could afford it my ancestors will not be happy with me if i buy it......... angry
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by onatisi(m): 2:06pm On Jun 24, 2018
soberdrunk:
Nigerians nor send this type of analysis, so long as it is expensive and fine they will buy. I remember walking into one of the Foauni stores and one of the attendants started marketing a Tv that cost "8 million naira" to me, even if i could afford it my ancestors will not be happy with me if i buy it......... angry
8million naira ke ! How big was it ?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by smartsammie(m): 2:07pm On Jun 24, 2018
Madeforlife:
You want to buy/sell iTunes,bitcoin,payonner please contact me... check my profile

thanks

You no free pick your calls o.

I want to buy iTunes card in bulk.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by mu2sa2: 2:08pm On Jun 24, 2018
I still prefer 4k tvs but not the overpriced ones like Samsung brands. With 200k one can get a 55 inch 4k of a good brand like hisense. I get the point Op is making but I cannot downgrade.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Humblega(m): 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2018
number of viewers on ds topic is just too much. Including pple like me dat doesnt even av #1,000 budgeted for tv talkless of 4k resolution tv........
Anyway dat d same way we read iphone and samsung latest phone tgread

Are u one of us?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by chukzyfcbb: 2:11pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

a more reason why you should by 4k rather than FullHd tv
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Cuteamigo1(m): 2:11pm On Jun 24, 2018
already 8k tv is out but if i have the money i will buy the 4k tv {85 to 145 inch } because am a gamer.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by TechCapon(m): 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
Emekus92:

how much b d TV
it depends on the sizes
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by pannyman(m): 2:14pm On Jun 24, 2018
gmajor10:
Op going by your analysis, even buying HD TV is waste of money..... No local Nigerian station shoots and stream in HD. Even the almighty dstv has very few HD channels, unless you go premium. And that still is limited, most channels are on SD standard definition.

On the Compact bouquet which goes for 6,300 naira there are about eight channels on HD available, mostly sports channels. So it's not for Premium bouquet subscribers alone.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by pannyman(m): 2:15pm On Jun 24, 2018
mu2sa2:
I still prefer 4k tvs but not the overpriced ones like Samsung brands. With 200k one can get a 55 inch 4k of a good brand like hisense. I get the point Op is making but I cannot downgrade.

You're spot on.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by TechCapon(m): 2:15pm On Jun 24, 2018
millomaniac:
Nice one TechCapon. Reminds me of when I bought my bluray player in 2011 when there was hardly any bluray content and the few ones you can get your hands on were ridiculously expensive. I still didnt mind when i bought my 4k TV thou few months back. After extensive research I bought it because Atleast it's future proof.
true. its future proof
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 2:15pm On Jun 24, 2018
okwabayi:
I do not agree with this article. It also looks like an edit of a 2015 foreign article I once read, the only difference being Nigerians added to the title and body.

Unlike 2015 there are a lot of sources for 4K content: UHD blu rays, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon's streaming services, PS4, Xbox one and Vimeo. Before one can consume them all 4K will become common place.

OP has also never heard of X265 encoding, another reason why his article is outdated. A 5 min 4K video might eat up 2GB but with X265 encoding may take up around 300 - 400MB with only a negligible loss of quality.

DStv's explora 2 decoder may support 4K before it gets removed from the market. If it doesn't then for sure the next iteration of the company's decoder will support it.
I also know websites where one can download 4K movies in X265 format for ~2 - 15GB as opposed to 48+GB.

4K is mainstream, if you know where to look.

You are getting somethings wrong. An average Nigerian doesn't know about all these things. YouTube is popular but they would stream YouTube on their phones and laptops than TVs. An average Nigerian watches only DSTV on their TV hence the op is spot on.

I have a friend that didn't know his monstrous TV could stream and the first thing he did which I set up for him was netflix and it wasnt even 4k. His internet finished within a week and focused only on Dstv.

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Emekus92(m): 2:15pm On Jun 24, 2018
TechCapon:
it depends on the sizes
and u want me to ask you another question starting the size?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Slymonster(m): 2:15pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thank you for your analysis but I have a ps4 pro and I needed it..

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by hisgrace090: 2:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
millomaniac:
Nice one TechCapon. Reminds me of when I bought my bluray player in 2011 when there was hardly any bluray content and the few ones you can get your hands on were ridiculously expensive. I still didnt mind when i bought my 4k TV thou few months back. After extensive research I bought it because Atleast it's future proof.

Same thing with me I thought blue ray machine have the power to upgrade picture quality not knowing its all about content as you said.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 2:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

a more reason why you should by 4k rather than FullHd tv

I don't need a 4k tv at the moment, I'm good with my FHD tv and would enjoy it more before it replaces my HD tv in my room.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Olachase(m): 2:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
Akinpelumusibau:

Do u like dis 32 inches LG in mai parlour?
who am I to reject it yes sir I do cry cry cry I just rented apartment I don't hv TV in my room
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by okwabayi(m): 2:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

You are getting somethings wrong. An average Nigerian doesn't know about all these things. YouTube is popular but they would stream YouTube on their phones and laptops than TVs. An average Nigerian watches only DSTV on their TV hence the op is spot on.

I have a friend that didn't know his monstrous TV could stream and the first thing he did which I set up for him was netflix and it wasnt even 4k. His internet finished within a week and focused only on Dstv.

They can learn.
You said it yourself you taught your friend. All the others who have no idea need a friend or two like you to teach them the way.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:
You are underestimating Nigerians. I use a 4K with Netflix and I’m not the only one.

There are also lots of 4K videos on YouTube which I can stream from my YouTube app.

The fact that you subscribe for 1gb does not mean everyone else does same. I was recently amazed at the number of Nigerians who have ditched dstv for Netflix, many who haven’t are limited by their TV’s capabilities.

So, maybe you should look deeper, before casting ill thought aspersions.

Buy the TV you can afford and move on, don't hate on people's TV even if they don't maximize on its capabilities, it is somewhat sadistic.

The write up is nonsensical.

Folks, please buy the best display that you can afford.

The content is out there.

Not all Nigerians are poor church rats.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by erico2k2(m): 2:19pm On Jun 24, 2018
Jiang:
The op dey lie, my laptop get that displays & it's super marvelous especially when am playing PC game, infact I miss the damn thing sef,
dont mind him and the rest of the people who aint got a clue
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Boss13: 2:19pm On Jun 24, 2018
OP is talking about 4K when people are doing QLED UHD 4K and OLED UHD 4K TVs. There are many 4K contents available now. When I was in Nigeria, I unsubscribed from DSTV. Apart from Sports, their contents are old, unexciting and the price doesn’t match the service. Hence, I was only paying for sports.

So I decided to move to big dish, Netflix and IPTV with premium 4K contents and upgraded my internet. OP it was a beauty to watch. You may be right with your analysis, but many Nigerians are moving to other platforms for entertainment. Also, if you want a fast reliable internet in naija, Na your money kill am.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Massive Hippopotamus Killed In Lokoja / Drone Spotted At Ojota Bus Stop This Afternoon(Photos) / Gulf Of Alaska: Two Oceans Meet But Do Not Mix"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.