Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. (91157 Views)

Stop Wasting Your Money On Data!! / Affordable European Standard Samsung Led Tvs (used & New) / How Nigerians Access Instant Loans On Fairmoney Without Collateral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 2:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:

Exactly, broke Nigerians act like haters.

Keep quiet and quit shouting broke this and that. How much are you worth to start with ? He is a blogger and he wrote an article to the best of his knowledge which isn't far from the truth. Since you are rich, bless him up!

10 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by bwideity: 2:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
Go to YouTube, search for 4k uhd contents or subscribe for Netflix, to enjoy 4k contents visit jumia to buy andriod tv box with 4k.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by mj(m): 2:49pm On Jun 24, 2018
@Op, I'm enjoying my Samsung Curve 4K TV, I watch 4K videos from Netfix and Youtube, in fact I set my youtube to get only 4K videos. I know Nigeria media houses videos format might not be 4K, but the picture quality is better rendered by 4K TVs. Infact my streaming boxes, Roku & Nvidea Shield formats are 4K.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by henribj(m): 2:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

4K UHD TVs are the best display TVs in the market but it's not for the Nigerian market! What am I even saying ? It's not even for the African market ! But we see this TVs in the showrooms and eventually in the homes of people, even some government office connect their CCTV cameras to 4K TVs so the security men can see what's really happening around the building. Funny, they just buy it without understanding the concept behind it. This post is for enlightenment purpose because people are fund of buying electronic gadgets without doing little research or at least seek the advice of an expert. They rather rely on the advice of salesmen/saleswomen who are just there for one reason, make profit ! It is a good thing to embrace new and better technology, but there’s a difference between embracing new technology and just wasting money. In this post I’m going to explain exactly why Nigerians are wasting money on one of such technologies.

THE 4K ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION TV.

First of all, what is 4K ?

It's not a fancy name, 4K is actually a resolution (2160 X 3840). The highest video display resolution right now! To enjoy the power of true 4K UHD technology, you must have a high video resolution of 2160 X 3840 pixels to match with the 4K UHD TV, that's when you can say you're watching 4K TV. This display is a lot better than the usual HD and full HD displays and produces super-rich quality, life-like displays.

Sorry to say this but a lot of Nigerians don’t understand how resolutions work. A lot of people who buy 4k UHD TVs have never watched 4k videos before. THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS, there are few 4K contents available. A 5 minute 4k video is about 2GB in size how much more a full movie of almost 2 hours. A lot of TV shows, movies and TV networks are not even available in 4K resolution ! Not even MTV, CNN, BEIN SPORTS, SUPER SPORTS, FOX NEWS, AFRICAN MAGIC, SOUNDCITY, NAT GEO WILD etc displays 4K UHD videos. They only display in HD. So what’s the point of splashing huge amount of cash on 4K UHD TV only to go home and watch the regular videos or cable TV channels. You’re not different from the guy who bought a much cheaper FULL HD TV because its same video resolutions and you can hardly notice the difference. Agreed it does upscale the video quality to some extent but it's still not 4K. TV stations around the world are not ready to embrace the 4K UHD technology yet! Unless you ready to stream 4K videos directly from NETFLIX or AMAZON PRIME at mind blowing data rates, you can hardly enjoy the 4K experience. Even if you have the cash to burn, which internet service provider in Nigeria can give you enough bandwidth to stream 4k movies non-stop on Netflix at 2160 X 3840 pixels everyday ? This is a secret no TV sales man will ever tell you. Buying such TV in Nigeria is like buying a Ferrari and driving it in a street full of potholes. You can hardly enjoy it !

Do you think Nigeria will be ready for the 4K TV technology in the next 5-10 years ? Tell us in the comment section

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/how-nigerians-are-wasting-money-on-4k-uhd-tvs/

Nice one Op, thanks for sharing this and educating us.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 24, 2018
Damn.. Nairalanders hol kwa oo shocked shocked
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Delivar(m): 2:52pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:
You are underestimating Nigerians. I use a 4K with Netflix and I’m not the only one.

There are also lots of 4K videos on YouTube which I can stream from my YouTube app.

The fact that you subscribe for 1gb does not mean everyone else does same. I was recently amazed at the number of Nigerians who have ditched dstv for Netflix, many who haven’t are limited by their TV’s capabilities.

So, maybe you should look deeper, before casting ill thought aspersions.

Buy the TV you can afford and move on, don't hate on people's TV even if they don't maximize on its capabilities, it is somewhat sadistic.
It might be a waste of money at the moment but it would serve the buyers in future when data becomes less expensive and transfer speed greatly improved. Streaming 4k by then would be as cheap as streaming today's standard definition.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by opedaydydx9(m): 2:54pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:

Ntel, 15k, unlimited.
how mny years?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by gmajor10(m): 2:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
BestDataDeals:
Wish I saw this analysis before I bought mine. The bad thing is that I bought the Hisence curve 4k for about 215k, it got broken before I got home from ikeja. I have to order another one from jumia. The old one still at home.

Now I feel foolish. God help us all control the spirit of I want to belong by all means....

You go sell the broken one?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by VocalWalls: 3:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
Ellixlimswag:

you don watch 4k this week?

Even a few minutes ago sef.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by VocalWalls: 3:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
opedaydydx9:
how mny years?

Monthly
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
not when you gat gta v and an xbox one x...ultra 4k all the way...
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by xolomonstrides(m): 3:01pm On Jun 24, 2018
Good research work
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

4K UHD TVs are the best display TVs in the market but it's not for the Nigerian market! What am I even saying ? It's not even for the African market ! But we see this TVs in the showrooms and eventually in the homes of people, even some government office connect their CCTV cameras to 4K TVs so the security men can see what's really happening around the building. Funny, they just buy it without understanding the concept behind it. This post is for enlightenment purpose because people are fund of buying electronic gadgets without doing little research or at least seek the advice of an expert. They rather rely on the advice of salesmen/saleswomen who are just there for one reason, make profit ! It is a good thing to embrace new and better technology, but there’s a difference between embracing new technology and just wasting money. In this post I’m going to explain exactly why Nigerians are wasting money on one of such technologies.

It's not a fancy name, 4K is actually a resolution (2160 X 3840). The highest video display resolution right now! To enjoy the power of true 4K UHD technology, you must have a high video resolution of 2160 X 3840 pixels to match with the 4K UHD TV, that's when you can say you're watching 4K TV. This display is a lot better than the usual HD and full HD displays and produces super-rich quality, life-like displays.

Sorry to say this but a lot of Nigerians don’t understand how resolutions work. A lot of people who buy 4k UHD TVs have never watched 4k videos before. THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS, there are few 4K contents available. A 5 minute 4k video is about 2GB in size how much more a full movie of almost 2 hours. A lot of TV shows, movies and TV networks are not even available in 4K resolution ! Not even MTV, CNN, BEIN SPORTS, SUPER SPORTS, FOX NEWS, AFRICAN MAGIC, SOUNDCITY, NAT GEO WILD etc displays 4K UHD videos. They only display in HD. So what’s the point of splashing huge amount of cash on 4K UHD TV only to go home and watch the regular videos or cable TV channels. You’re not different from the guy who bought a much cheaper FULL HD TV because its same video resolutions and you can hardly notice the difference. Agreed it does upscale the video quality to some extent but it's still not 4K. TV stations around the world are not ready to embrace the 4K UHD technology yet! Unless you ready to stream 4K videos directly from NETFLIX or AMAZON PRIME at mind blowing data rates, you can hardly enjoy the 4K experience. Even if you have the cash to burn, which internet service provider in Nigeria can give you enough bandwidth to stream 4k movies non-stop on Netflix at 2160 X 3840 pixels everyday ? This is a secret no TV sales man will ever tell you. Buying such TV in Nigeria is like buying a Ferrari and driving it in a street full of potholes. You can hardly enjoy it !

Do you think Nigeria will be ready for the 4K TV technology in the next 5-10 years ? Tell us in the comment section

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by VocalWalls: 3:01pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

When did ntel sub reduced to 15k?

They have a current bonus ongoing.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by bjboss(m): 3:02pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:
You are underestimating Nigerians. I use a 4K with Netflix and I’m not the only one.

There are also lots of 4K videos on YouTube which I can stream from my YouTube app.

The fact that you subscribe for 1gb does not mean everyone else does same. I was recently amazed at the number of Nigerians who have ditched dstv for Netflix, many who haven’t are limited by their TV’s capabilities.

So, maybe you should look deeper, before casting ill thought aspersions.

Buy the TV you can afford and move on, don't hate on people's TV even if they don't maximize on its capabilities, it is somewhat sadistic.
Well defended buh what the op is trying to say is there are smaller percentage that understand its design purpose
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 3:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:

They have a current bonus ongoing.

I did a sub 5 days ago at the usual 17500. When did the bonus start?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

typical olodo article of a roadside noisemaker empowered by cheap internet

first of all , 4k definition is ONLY one of the features of a 4k TV

all 4k tvs also include the following

internet ready
bluetooth support
casting support
x265 support
manufacturer appstore

previously, i needed a set top box to connect my tv to my home network.
previously, none of my legacy lg tvs were able to play subtitles
none of my legacy lg tvs were able to support more than one usb device per port
none of my legacy lg tvs were able to play x265 videos
previously i could not stream from my phone to my tv

but here we are with a neopythe on FP broadcasting the úselessness of 4k tvs in nigeria

he doesn't even know that 4k tvs will upscale images
he dosent know you can download x265 4k videos
he doesn''t know you can stream 4k videos on some youtube channels
he doesn't know the smart tv supports dongles like ogitech keyboards and mice

you want a 4k tv for cheap - go for hisesne. fouani sells them now - so you know they will be repaired. they are now selling 65 inch for 300k angry angry

throughtout last year i was searching for a 65inch hisesne the usual greedy nigerian hustlers forming bizmen were claiming 500 -600k. i had to shelve it.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
bjboss:

Well defended buh what the op is trying to say is there are smaller percentage that understand its design purpose

Exactly.. most users just buy it and plug their usual dstv and thatsall.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by HoodBillionaire: 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
4min video 2gig of data burnt
chai.

fear go let ntel users watch 4k video
on ntel isp.
u go just see ntel with sars
dey find men wey dey stream 4k videos online

e pay say men
i buy full HD
there is no stable light
fear go let u go plug am direct
wen nepa bring over loading u go just hear paaaaoooww
plasma don burn pack up

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by tolugar: 3:06pm On Jun 24, 2018
IgbosNIGHTMARE:

Person wey no fit afford bicycle...

How funny

Already ordered one bro. Will send you pic soo
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Therealev: 3:06pm On Jun 24, 2018
You make sense, but game consoles and blue ray DVDs will be rendering graphics in 4k, let's put it at 4years tops. There will be a PS5, an upgraded version of the Playstation VR, Oculus Rift, so many gadgets will be rendering graphics in 4k. Sameway videos and tv stations made the transition into HD, they will easily transition into 4k. Buying it now means you are getting it earlier, familiarizing with it and even enjoy the little contents being rendered in 4k, least to say buying it cheap. By the time the fuss about 4k TV reaches optimum, the price will be like times 2 or 3 of what it is being sold for now. Most TV brands know that there are little to no content of 4k yet, so people wont really patronize it, but they make it anyways and sell it cheap, in beta mode such that when the 4k becomes a full fledged epidemy, they just make little update to what they have before then sell it at astonishing amount. Bought my LG Smart TV in 2014, quite cheap. Then, there were not too many Smart TVs, now that the people are aware of Smart TVs, the price is now times 2 of what I bought it for then. If you have money for a 4k TV, go ahead and buy, samething applies to Curve TVs. All this flat panel LCD will soon fold up. In the next 10yrs, Curve will dominate the market, while the flat panel will be like you are watching old black and white president tv.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 24, 2018
BestDataDeals:
Wish I saw this analysis before I bought mine. The bad thing is that I bought the Hisence curve 4k for about 215k, it got broken before I got home from ikeja. I have to order another one from jumia. The old one still at home.

Now I feel foolish. God help us all control the spirit of I want to belong by all means....

buy your hisense from fouani and you will get local support.
you should avoid buying used led or lcd tvs. the dealers know that without proper packaging, your tv will break in transit after which they can rip you off all over again.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by VocalWalls: 3:07pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

Keep quiet and quit shouting broke this and that. How much are you worth to start with ? He is a blogger and he wrote an article to his best of his knowledge which isn't far from the truth. Since you are rich, bless him up!

I’m not worth anything, but I’m not the type to talk people down for their choices.

I’ve been a blogger for years too, dude could have written tips on how to maximize usage of your TV set, or an advise, tips, or even better put, not generalize.

This is from a sadistic angle.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 3:09pm On Jun 24, 2018
oyb:

typical olodo article of a roadside noisemaker empowered by cheap internet

first of all , 4k definition is ONLY one of the features of a 4k TV

all 4k tvs also include the following

internet ready
bluetooth support
casting support
x265 support
manufacturer appstore

previously, i needed a set top box to connect my tv to my home network.
previously, none of my legacy lg tvs were able to play subtitles
none of my legacy lg tvs were able to support more than one usb device per port
none of my legacy lg tvs were able to play x265 videos
previously i could not stream from my phone to my tv

but here we are with a neopythe on FP broadcasting the úselessness of 4k tvs in nigeria

he doesn't even know that 4k tvs will upscale images
he dosent know you can download x265 4k videos
he doesn''t know you can stream 4k videos on some youtube channels
he doesn't know the smart tv supports dongles like ogitech keyboards and mice

you want a 4k tv for cheap - go for hisesne. fouani sells them now - so you know they will be repaired. they are now selling 65 inch for 300k angry angry

throughtout last year i was searching for a 65inch hisesne the usual greedy nigerian hustlers forming bizmen were claiming 500 -600k. i had to shelve it.

Relax man. How many Nigerians know about all these things? Let's use smartphone as a case study, how many Nigerians use their smartphones completely? An average user would use it's social network functions, camera and life games like candy crush and subway surfers yet they spend a fortune buying these phones.

The op is spot on

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
krattoss:
I think the op went too far in his analysis..

How on earth do people waste money in UHD and quantum led tvs when there are hdmi s in the market undecided

I use Samsung 42 inches led TV but with the help of hdmi.. I get ultra high definition resolutions.. cool
Are you okay? So HDMi cable now upscale videos abi?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

Relax man. How many Nigerians know about all these things? Let's use smartphone as a case study, how many Nigerians use their smartphones completely? An average user would use it's social network functions, camera and life games like candy crush and subway surfers yet they spend a fortune buying these phones.

The op is spot on

the op is not spot on if he could only refer to one single feature of a 4k tv .
maybe he is the nigerian being referred to, a lazy bum who cannot be bothered to do any research into what his tv can actually do.

the only potential issue with 4k tvs is that most of them run propietary oses and not android. last i checked, only sony does android tvs. and those sony tvs cost an arm and a leg
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by VocalWalls: 3:14pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

I did a sub 5 days ago at the usual 17500. When did the bonus start?

The wawu bonus is still on at 7,500 for 96gb and 17500 for unlimited data.

Talk to your agent, they probably haven’t introduced you to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by 100bands: 3:14pm On Jun 24, 2018
krattoss:
I think the op went too far in his analysis..

How on earth do people waste money in UHD and quantum led tvs when there are hdmi s in the market undecided

I use Samsung 42 inches led TV but with the help of hdmi.. I get ultra high definition resolutions.. cool
Shut up your HDMI is still limited to the TV resolution
You can’t watch 4K on 1080P hdmi or not
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 3:15pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:

I’m not worth anything, but I’m not the type to talk people down for their choices.

I’ve been a blogger for years too, dude could have written tips on how to maximize usage of your TV set, or an advise, tips, or even better put, not generalize.

This is from a sadistic angle.

He didn't talk down people based on their choice. He only said the gospel truth which is expensive in Nigeria. The tips might be used by very few people who probably already know it and it's also costly because you have to sub for internet, sub for Netflix or Amazon prime etc, still sub for Dstv.

An average user would connect his dstv on it and flex on
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Neoteny(m): 3:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Nope.

I'm joying playing checkerboard 4K on my ps4 pro
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 3:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:

The wawu bonus is still on at 7,500 for 96gb and 17500 for unlimited data.

Talk to your agent, they probably haven’t introduced you to it.

My agent is an unstable person. I would have saved some thousands if he was sane enough to be things done at timely manner
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
soberdrunk:
Nigerians nor send this type of analysis, so long as it is expensive and fine they will buy. I remember walking into one of the Foauni stores and one of the attendants started marketing a Tv that cost "8 million naira" to me, even if i could afford it my ancestors will not be happy with me if i buy it......... angry
fouani, lol. the first day I walked into their store, the first TV I saw was worth 25 million. I just kept my distance while asking myself some critical questions like what qualities would this TV possess for such a ridiculous price, who was buying in Nigeria and cost of repairs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Stunning Shot Of Gorilla Surrounded By Butterflies Wins Photography Contest(Pix) / Massive Hippopotamus Killed In Lokoja / Drone Spotted At Ojota Bus Stop This Afternoon(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.