Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Too Much Bride Price ! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Too Much Bride Price ! (2765 Views)

Why She Does Not Deserve That Bride Price / Who Is At Fault - The Groom, Bride Or The Side Chick? / Bride Price In Imo State Now 10,000naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too Much Bride Price ! by zimbabwean: 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2010
My family has decided to charge my soon to be husband £6.000 pounds. angry angry
I personally think this is a lot of money and considering our different cultures im sure they being too hard on bf. What shall i do?

I want him to pay something since its my culture but not this much , What shall i do because this is a non negotiable thing. I dont want my boyfriend to be in debt only because he has to pay money to my family. I feel like im being sold and its so depressing, embarassed

My boyfriend said he will try to negotiate but i know he aint happy because with that we could have added 4 more grand and deposited on our mortgage, cry

Ohh goshhh i guess this is day two of pre wedding nerves,
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by blackmann(m): 4:01pm On Jun 06, 2010
6 wetin? for bride price? how much the wedding go cost? Abeg make u nd ur fiance follow ur parents talk. I don't know much about bride price, but i feel 6000 pounds(1.5m naira) is kinda much for BP. when u no be cow wey dem dey sell for market.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by iice(f): 5:52pm On Jun 06, 2010
shocked I must get my own to pay 6000 too cheesy
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 06, 2010
I see parents are selling their daughters now shocked shocked shocked And they say the ibo girls bride price is expensive. shocked shocked
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by invisible2(m): 5:57pm On Jun 06, 2010
They should put you up for auction, let's all price you and see how much you are worth.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by LEVIUCHRIS(m): 6:09pm On Jun 06, 2010
Its pertinent that the price to get married is costly in some area not only in Ibo land and not all part of the Ibo's, but the issue is, due to traditional believes in ethics and customs made it so, i urge them to consider.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by A40(m): 6:46pm On Jun 06, 2010
Now they wonder why some men are scared to marry? Your wedding would probably cost 10milla. Well you are in luck i have a 5 letter solution for you: ELOPE!! if dem no hear from us for 5 years lets see if they would not call for truce
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by bece: 6:58pm On Jun 06, 2010
WTF[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by BIKINI(f): 7:28pm On Jun 06, 2010
tell your parents u are pregnant with his child. if they still don't budge, then go for a quiet court wedding.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by omega25red(m): 8:24pm On Jun 06, 2010
invisible!:

They should put you up for auction, let's all price you and see how much you are worth.
grin grin grin grin

your parents are greedy (no disrespect intended) geezz 6 grand if the marriage doesn't work out are they going to pay him back? and who came up with that figure anyway. if i were you i'll tell them the marriage is off because they are asking for a ridiculos amount.

wait did you say you had a mortgage
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by ITgurlie(f): 8:56pm On Jun 06, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

"for better or worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part" that's what it should be wink wink but

this is just a modernization of slave trade in the name of bride price angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 06, 2010
for real?

are you going to receive a diamond mine as a wedding gift?

maybe na lie sha.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by queeneve: 11:11pm On Jun 06, 2010
Your parents must think you a virgin,

They still selling their daugthers like hoes in today's society? No wonder the Nigerian men flocking to UK!
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by mamagee3(f): 11:18pm On Jun 06, 2010
Your parents and your entire kinsmen are thieves.

I think they'll be chasing good suitors away by their greed.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by queeneve: 11:23pm On Jun 06, 2010
I agree with you Mama Gee,

I believe a lot of Nigerian men do want to get married but because of this Bride Price thing with the tribes, it is discouraging them to marry within their country and seek brides out of Nigeria. Even the high priced hoes aren't getting that kind of money then again the girl parents must think she a virgin and typically parents ask that price based on their daughter's virginity.

I would feel funny that my parents selling me off like a piece of meat and I can understand parents wanted help financially but damn, so what their gifts going to be to the newlyweds? A life time of wealth?
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by mamagee3(f): 11:25pm On Jun 06, 2010
^^Exactly!

Most Nigerian Parents are bunch of opportunistic thieves waiting for a cash cow to suck up.

Like their daughters wouldn't be spending the man's money while in his house along with providing for their welfare when they get married.

Loads of rubbish!
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jun 06, 2010
i think this particular OP is zimbabwean, not nigerian.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by queeneve: 11:53pm On Jun 06, 2010
Tribes in Nigeria have bride prices too@Tpia
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by zimbabwean: 1:21am On Jun 07, 2010
My parents are zimbabwean i forgot to mention that but my hubby to be is nigerian,
cry cry cry cry cry embarassed embarassed
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 1:49am On Jun 07, 2010
So they do that bride price thing in Zimbabwe too? shocked shocked shocked 6000pounds, they must think they have won the lottery. You need to seat them down and talk to them.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 3:25am On Jun 07, 2010
Tribes in Nigeria have bride prices too@Tpia

quite true, but £6000 is a lot of money. . . . . . . . . , . . . . . . .

unless its zimbabwean pounds, in which case no problem.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by na2day2(m): 3:53am On Jun 07, 2010
zimbabwean:

My family has decided to charge my soon to be husband £6.000 pounds. angry angry
I personally think this is a lot of money and considering our different cultures im sure they being too hard on bf. What shall i do?

I want him to pay something since its my culture but not this much , What shall i do because this is a non negotiable thing. I dont want my boyfriend to be in debt only because he has to pay money to my family. I feel like im being sold and its so depressing, embarassed

My boyfriend said he will try to negotiate but i know he aint happy because with that we could have added 4 more grand and deposited on our mortgage, cry

Ohh goshhh i guess this is day two of pre wedding nerves,

i will just pretend i didnt just read this, ur parents should be shot! angry angry no offense
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by TewMuch: 5:16am On Jun 07, 2010
The guy should leave ur parents to marry you. You are about to be single. I dunno which Nigerian parent in their right mind will pay that much for bride price.6000 pounds is like 2 truck loads of Zimbabwean pounds right?lol! Funny sturvs.
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 5:37am On Jun 07, 2010
Is 6,000 pounds really that much? undecided
Isnt it around $9,000?

He can save up. Poster, why dont you also contribute?
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by na2day2(m): 5:43am On Jun 07, 2010
FL Gators:

Is 6,000 pounds really that much? undecided
Isnt it around $9,000?

He can save up. Poster, why dont you also contribute?

tomorrow when the guy starts demanding stuff, u will be among the 1st to shout "this is the 21st century and she is not ur salve but ur wife", clearly she is for sale! moreover, will they refund the money if they divorce? arrant nonsense!
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 07, 2010
na2day?:

tomorrow when the guy starts demanding stuff, u will be among the 1st to shout "this is the 21st century and she is not your salve but your wife", clearly she is for sale! moreover, will they refund the money if they divorce? arrant nonsense!
That's why I asked her to contribute. They can both put the money together.
What do you want her to tell her parent? "No bride price"?

What does "She's not your slave but your wife" have to do with what I said earlier?
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by na2day2(m): 5:52am On Jun 07, 2010
FL Gators:

That's why I asked her to contribute. They can both put the money together.
What do you want her to tell her parent? "No bride price"?

What does "She's not your slave but your wife" have to do with what I said earlier?

she should tell her parents to wake up and smell the coffee! they are trying to sell a liability to someone for 6,000 pounds! no wonder that country is so backward.

everything!
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 07, 2010
na2day?:

she should tell her parents to wake up and smell the coffee! they are trying to sell a liability to someone for 6,000 pounds! no wonder that country is so backward.

everything!
Poster, you hear, go and tell your parents the above. Then get back to us.

I still maintain the fact that 6,000 pounds is not that much grin
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by Faher(m): 6:15am On Jun 07, 2010
6000 pounds for what? Am I hiring a love peddler for 100 nights?
Or marrying a woman I love? smdh shocked
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by otokx(m): 9:14am On Jun 07, 2010
is it ZIMBABWE or BRITISH pounds?
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by zimbabwean: 11:35am On Jun 07, 2010
its 6000 british pounds, Now zimbabwe is using US Dollars which will be about $8000 usd,

The thing is that in my country bride price is one of the most important things and its very expensive mind you the 6000 pounds will not only be in cash it will include a heard of cattle, some groceries,and also i am meant to get some money from there its tradition, Many people are getting married for about 5,000 pounds but i thought my family would be different since they are well off. undecided undecided undecided and i didnt think they would charge as much, cry

@ Na2day ---i think your comment kind of shows a bit of ignorance, angry.The only person that can say that is someone that hasnt been to zimbabwe before. Just because a country has been farcing some political issues does not mean it is backward. I suggest you go around africa and explore the world rather than what you watch on bbc. It wouldnt be fair if i judge nigeria by what i saw on that BBC program "welcome to lagos" because i know that not everyone in nigeria leaves in a dumpster etc angry, Zimbabwe is a developing country so is nigeria and most african countries,

ps Now zimbabwe is using USD so when conveting pounds to USD it aint that different since the pound dropped undecided
Re: Too Much Bride Price ! by dbigrod(m): 1:37pm On Jun 07, 2010
[size=16pt]
na2day?:

everything!

lmao.so a woman is a liability.
FL Gators:

Poster, you hear, go and tell your parents the above. Then get back to us.

I still maintain the fact that 6,000 pounds is not that much grin

6000 pounds for a liability is too much.

[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Ur Advice,my friend is going mad. / ( Photo) If A Lady Can Be Patient Enough To Arrange These,she's A Wife Material / Advice Me: My Girlfriend Is Seeing Another Guy Whom Her Mother Approves Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.