Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:13 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (243212 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:26pm On Dec 06, 2013
agbotaen: 1. laire is one of the greetings of owa kingdom and my idumuzomor people so with that it means we are from ogiamen family but right now i am an ika man period , i am not benin .
2. owa-ofien greets laiweze that means they are from iyase family
3. we also greet laughe too.
4. we also greet kada during meals like most benin people .
5. after meals we greet lakpoma.
does that answer your questions, but am not benin , i am pure ika
you are such a confused man with confused ancestry

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 6:28pm On Dec 06, 2013
It is a joy when you ruffle some feathers with facts and see them shaking like a wet duck. grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nowenuse: 11:45pm On Dec 06, 2013
agbotaen: 1. an ika man has never called himself delta igbo , it is igbo propagandists and those who are ignorant of where we come from that call ika delta igbo , infact majority of ika people detest being called igbo of any sort , we are ika pure and simple. no one is saying we dont have relationship with igbo , so we cannot also deny our relationship with others like the edos too.
2. anioma was coined from aniocha -a,ndokwa-n, ika-i,oshimili-o, and they added oma to it, it is a concept started some 50 years ago, the people that make up this region have existed and had their own names before this creation.
3. anioma or many of the tribes so called migrated from many places like igbo, edo, yoruba,igala, and many other places but due to inter-relationships have some how evolved many close cultural traits , but they still remain seperate as individual groups and they each know their histories and origin.
4. anioma is made up of four people which are ndokwa, ika, oshimili and aniocha, and an ika man cannot claim to be ndokwa ,just like an oshimili man cannot claim to be ika .but we come together if an issue is affecting our fundamental interest , if not for the igbo people who are forcing and spreading so much untruth ,and the ignorance of many people in nigeria , how can the igala and olukunmi man from delta north be igbo ? how can an ozara man from agbor kingdom be igbo ? and though delta north area has many igbo migrations so does it have migration from other places and so , the whole of anioma cannot be said to be igbo .
5. those at the fore front of igbo call in anioma are usually people from aniocha and oshimili , but in ika and ndokwa areas majority of the people see themself as a distinct tribe , although we have a few voices in both ika and ndokwa who keep shouting that they are igbo , like some people in igbodo and ekwuoma communities in ika , but we also know that because they are at the boundaries of predominantly igbo cultural areas and their fathers might have migrated from igbo land , so that is their free choice but for majority of ika people we belong to the ika nation , a distinct ethnic group .
6. because of our dual mode of migration that is both edo and igbo based migrants at different times both benin and igbos have laid claim to our land but unfortunately they both failed--

Agbotaen. Well I really admire ur vast and in depth knowledge of ur ppl. But I think u should know dat just as u claim that an Oshimili or anochia person can not speak 4all aniomas, likewise u should know that u urself don't speak for the whole ika/agbor people.
Though I'm not from Delta state, but I was born and bred in the state, I have really met with a lot of aniomas, evn more from agbor/ika as close family friends, and I must tell u dat u r d first I'v met who have claimed dat ika people don't identify thesemselvs as Delta igbo. All d rest I'v met will readily accept that they are Delta igbos/ Anioma from agbor. One tin I sure know is that they hate being called Igbos, but if u call them delta igbos, they are OK and accept well. Even this ika u are shouting, I hardly hear many of ur ppl claimin ika as an identity, worst they say they are from agbor. I must tell u dat Delta state recognises five major ethnic groups only, Urhobo, Isoko, Ijaw, Itsekiri and Anioma (delta igbo). With the way u talk, I see dat u personally really have and show very strong bini affiliations. Yes, ur ppl r a mixture of igbo and bini elements, while some of u bear more bini ancestry, others bear more igbo ancestry. All my growing up in delta state, warri precisely, we have always seen and adressed y'all from delta north (from Asaba to Anochia to kwale to Obiaruku to Agbor) as delta igbos. All this ur preaching of ika as a seperate identity and nation, none of us recognise. I wonda what that will really tell u. With all ur claims of attachment to Bini (that I'm not against), I don't see the average bini man of today eva accepting you as his brother or even acknowledgin ancestral relationship with you, that may have transpired in the past, and the knowledge of it gone with the older generations or still minimal amongst the elderly ppl. Yes I know there were igala (ebu) and olukunmi (yoruba) who came an settled amongst u delta igbos, but they were absorbed by the larger anioma culture, though som still retain their differences, nd u must know dat such a phenomenon is common with almost ervy tribe, where u find some with different ancestries who come to settle amongst the mainstream and are absorbed.

The hausa ppl u know today are not a ppl of one ancestry at all! Many of them are absorbed tribes, especially those from Bauchi, Sokoto, kebbi e.t.c. Some of them also are ancestrally fulani but have bcom culturally and linguistically hausa and even if they go back to identify with their pure mainstream cultural fulani, they are not well accepted and recognised. This is among the reasons why u see a kind of merged hausa/fulani identity today.
What about the igalas, idomas from the middlebelt and their neighbouring igbos? Many igbos from enugu and anambra today know well that they are of igala ancestry as well as many igalas today know they are of igbo ancestry. If u go to igalaland u'll find some igalas that look so much 100% like igbos, others like abokis (hausas) with like tribal marks, some like yorubas also. They themselvs all acknowledge their different ancestries, but they have held on to a common igala culture.

My point is that, it is not necessary that ppl who profess a common ethnicity must be of the same primordial pure breed ancestry. No sir! There can be difrent ancestries in a common culture. The determining factor of an ethnicity is mostly culture and the stronger/founding culture and ancestry of the merging ancestries should be the one that the other ancestries will submit to and accept modification. But in some rare cases though, hybrids are created which will be almost a clear 50/50 between the merging ancestries and cultures and will resemble neither of the parents cultures/ancestry more, hence will evolve into a new ethnicity.
If u also take a look at the nupes in central nigeria, they share boundary with yorubas and hausa/fulanis to an extent with which they have partially intermixed. The nupes in kwara appear more yoruba-ish in both dialect and culture while some nupes in Niger which r very close to fulanis and have inter-mixed appear more fulani both in dialects and cultures. But this has not really stopped the nupe nation from seeing themselves as one.
So I believe with this, it's really up to the ika people to converge largely and decide which culture they are to adopt and adhere to more, they should try to keep their ancestries behind a bit, as it would do no good in uniting them better. A very distict Ika tribe/ethnicity officially I think will hardly work out considering the great bond with the larger Anioma nation with which they have been identified for long. Their collective final decision I believe all should respect, but I tell u, dat if u ppl choose to accept the larger Anioma identity, then u ppl wuld also be associated with the Delta igbo identity and further, larger igbo identity, cos the Igbo elements in Anioma land as a whole is surely stronger than the bini/Edo, igala or yoruba element and hence must submit!

7 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nowenuse: 11:56pm On Dec 06, 2013
Agbotaen, I also want to ask u. If per-adventure Nigeria breaks up today (which we don't pray for). Where will the Ikas be? In d proposed Niger-delta republic or Biafra with other igbos? I surely know that many Aniomas will go with their south-east brothers than prefer to go with Niger-delta republic.
I also want u 2know that if per-adventure Ika or any oda Igboid groups goes with Niger-delta identity 2day or a republic per-adventure break-up, they will smell real marginalisation and discrimination! because for all the other niger-deltan minorities like Urhobo, Bini, Ijaw e.t.c care you are all Delta igbos and further igbos, they will always see u ppl as aliens who should rightly be with other igbos. That's also similar to what u ppl are facing in Delta state today, the rest Niger-delta tribes feel it's like a taboo for a Delta igbo (also igbo to them) to rule a state like theirs, in spite of the fact that u ppl are kind of the majority with more LGAs. I really hope u are seein my point in all these.
Pls don't think I am Igbo or have any affiliation with Igbo in anyway, I am from the middlebelt, but only born and raised in Delta state.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 12:14am On Dec 07, 2013
Fact still remains that be it Delta Igbo,Igbo,ibo,western igbo,eastern igbo still remains same thing and meaning- IGBO. Delta Igbo was used to actually differentiate Igbos of delta state from other tribes also found in Delta State like the Urhobos,itsekiris,ijaws,isokos..Nowadays a lot of us would love to be referred as Igbos of delta state rather than delta igbo and we are hoping to get our Anioma State soon and leave delta state for good.

Back to Ika and its communities,Every Ika clan have its origin. While that of Agbor is debatable ie the original inhabitants,Owa was largely derived from people who came from Nri which in Ika dialect is called NHI OR IHI. It's true that is Owa Ofie is the aboriginal people of Owa and they came from Benin. But in size Owa Ofie cannot be compared to the people who came from Nri whose descendants dominate Owa Oyibu,Owa Alizomor,Owanta and Owa Alero. Owa Alero originated from migrations from Owa Oyibu and Ute Okpu. The Obi of Owa,HRH Obi Ikechukwu Efeizomor 11 has long emphasized that most of his people are of Nri origin. He stated this his book on community development in Owa kingdom and he topok pictures with the Ezenri in that book. The name Owa is of Igbo origin It means a partition ie a partition from Ute Okpu. In this regard ika people are not different from Nsukka people where monarchies also existed through the inluence from the Igala kingdom.
In the past Nsukka people were not regarded as Igbos because of their unique cultures and languge. In fact Ika is more closer to "Igbo" than Nsukka. Also they bear such Igala names like Asadu,Idoko and Onoja. They have Igala deities. carry Igala tribal marks and have Igala masquerades. They also bear titles of Igala origin. So what is peculiar with Ika perhaps were governed as part of the old Western region. Ute Okpu,Owa and Ute Ogbeje were all part of the same migration from Nri

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by salam001(m): 12:45am On Dec 07, 2013
i love my brothers from delta state,i never knew this guy is from delta state,FRANCIS ODEGA,his dialect is exactly like that of onitsha ado n'idu people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD7rTjV2SJo&gl=NG&hl=en-GB&guid=&client=mv-google
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:07am On Dec 07, 2013
Pharoh: It is a joy when you ruffle some feathers with facts and see them shaking like a wet duck. grin

i hate it when people twist the fact....whose history is this,you have not answered my question , why did benin fouunders jettison benin names,and embraced igbo names,cultutes and kingship. instead of oba they have obi ,eze and okpala. so did igbo colonisse ika and ukwuani. and pls ukwuani never said they are not igbo i go there evry time,my wife is from there neither have i ever hear them say that they are not igbo,neither from their elders nor anybody. they generally term is onu nuo....those that say welcome . is for the whole igbo speaking tribes be it in east or accross the niger. pls refute the histor

THE HISTORY OF UMUKWATA AND OWAH ABBI
Shortly after the foundation of Aboh, a
number of settlements were made as
offshoots of that migration. This was
necessitated by the congested nature of the
riverine clans, which permitted no further
expansion. Different generals who
accompanied the Aboh party therefore
decided to return to Ukwuani hinterland
where they had earlier observed wide expanse
of unoccupied land as they
previously migrated southward. The most
important of these settlements are the
Umu-Nze clans comprising Abbi, Amai, and
Umukwata. It is generally believed
that the founders of these independent
settlements originally migrated from
different directions but converged later at
Aboh. They stayed here for some
years but as a consequence of the
disagreement with Aboh people, they left
Aboh under the family name of Umu-Nze
(Descendants of Nze) to found their
own settlements. They moved northwards
together with their families as nomads
and when they arrived at their present site of
Umukwata, the party established
their first camp. After staying together for
many years, Amai moved westward
and founded Amai; Efi migrated further west
founded Orogun and Amacha went
southwest and founded Abbi. Ukwata, the
oldest man among the leaders was
left with his family to occupy the original
settlement, which, his descendant
named Umukwata (the descendants of
Ukwata) after their father, Clan versions
however, appear to differ in some details
from this general view.
The founder of Abbi Clan. One Amaha from
Echalla-uku (the elders of Abbi are
not sure of the location of his town but it is
surmised to be inEastern Nigeria)
and his brother Ukwata were said ‘to have
strayed to Aboh settlement while
hunting. At Aboh, they joined Efi, and Amai
and later migrated with them to
Ukwuani hinterland as a result of a quarrel
with the Aboh people. After staying
as a group for many years, Amacha with his
family separated from the brother
at the present site of Umukwata and
journeyed southwest to lsu-Afo where he
founded the Elovie and Umia quarters(jointly
called Echella) of Abbi. Amacha’s
hunting and nickname was Abbi. This popular
name was therefore chosen to
represent his settlement instead of his real
name. The third quarter, Okwele is
believed to been founded by a group of
hunters who strayed on their journey
southward fromBenin.
As the settlement expanded, a group of
people migrated from Umia quarter of
Echalla to found Umuolu. These people were
mainly from Onyugba family who
went to Umuolu to fish and cultivate a brand
of yam crop called “okom’. From
Ogbe-ole section of Elovie quarter in Echala,
the family of Utu packed away to
Akoku where after many years founded the
quarter of Umutu at Akoku later a
dispute arose between Umutu and Obedeti
quarters. This resulted in a bitter
fight, involving loss of many lives. Umutu
evenal1y fled from Akoku to their
farmland near the bank of the Ethiope end,
which led to the foundation of the
present town ofUmutu. Another section of
Abbi people migrated from Umia
quarter and Ukanabouku section of Elovie
quarter and settled in Umukwata
farmland close to theEthiopeRiverand called
their settlement Owa-Abbi This
settlement was allowed, because of the
special relationship between Amacha and
Ukwata.How Obinomba came to be will be
published after the launching.
THE HISTORY OF AMAI
Amai tradition claims that the founder of the
Clan was one Amai, a elephant
hunter from Igarra, who in course of his
hunting reached the present site. Seeing
that it was a pleasant country, he returned to
Igarra and persuaded a number
of his friends and relations to accompany him
and settle there. Amai had four,
sons: Ekwum, Nge, Aguma and Osele who
later founded the Umu-ekwum, Amai-
nge, Ishikagima, and Umu-osele quarters of
Amai. The fifth quarter, an emigrant
from Ubulu in Asaba Division founded
Umubu, although he married an Amai
woman Ekwum was the eldest son of Amai so
that his quarter ought to have
been the most senior in Amai Clan but Nge
cunningly usurped this position by
robbing him the custody of Aboh
Nze royal cult. Earlier the Obi of Aboh had
invited the children of Amai many
years after their fathers death, to come to
Aboh and receive the royal cult as the
symbol of their authority and alliance with
Aboh. The eldest member of the Clan
was to be the custodian of the cult. Ekwum
requested his junior brother, Nge to
carry the cult as they were returning from
Aboh but on getting to Amai, Nge
refused to hand over the cult to Ekwum and
eventually became its priest. This
royal/religious authority from Aboh not only
robbed Ekwum and his descendants
their rightful status in the Clan but earned
Nge and his quarter supremacy over
all other quarters of Amai so that today the
Okpala-uku of Amai-Nge is regarded
as the most senior no matter his age among
the five Okpala-uku representing
the five quarters of Amai Clan.
THE HISTORY OF UMUTU BY J.O.UTI OF
UMUTU
Between the tenth and fifteenth centuries
there had been movements of tribes
from one location to the other in the area
now known asNigeria. These great
waves of migration continued over the
centuries for reasons which we can now
figure out. Intertribal wars were common
because of the struggle to occupy
fertile lands for development. As people
moved they were in family groups and
joined people who had left in advance for
their sites for greener pastures.
The study of Okolugbo, a renowned Ukwuani
scholar identified “three waves of
migration” of the different communities which
formed Ukwuani country before
the arrival of the British people in the area.
From the stories handed down from
generation to generation in Umutu
Community and from the relics available in
the community the people of Umutu strongly
believe that they are children of
Utu whose ancestors migrated from
somewhere in the Eastern side of the Niger
to Aboh on the bank of the river Niger. The
exact location of the place in the
East is not known although it is believed to be
the same place as Echalla-Uku
from where Amacha the founder of Abbi
migrated through Aboh. This explains
the reason for the movement of Umutu
people to Abbi in the second stage of
their migration. Umutu people settled at Aboh
with other families for centuries.
They had one “Ndiche”, their family totem
which they carried from their original
home. This totem bound them together as
members of Utu family who had one
“Okpala-Uku’ and one “Ada”.
As a result of frequent invasions from the
Eastern War like tribes, Umutu people
continued their migration in search of more
peaceful land for development. They
eventually arrived in Abbi and Settled in
Ogbole quarters where their known kits
and kins from Echala-Uku resided. While at
Abbi the community experienced
several invasions from the Eastern war-like
tribes which were resisted. Many of
the invaders were either captured and
enslaved or killed
MIGRATION TO AKOKU
By the time the people of Umutu had lived in
Abbi for several years they had
become known with the age old appellation to
their name as “Umutu Igili Ogbu-
Orni” because of their fame for the production
of a type of white yam known as
“Omi” That appellation of “Igili Ogbu-omi” still
remains in their present site and
their kits and kins left behind at Ogbole
quarter at Abbi.
THE STORY OF THE CAUSE OF MIGRATION OF
UMUTU PEOPLE TO AKOKU
We have been told how invasions from
Eastern War-like tribes continued at Abbi
and how they were repulsed. The invaders
finding that they no longer succeeded
in their attacks made a charm which was
placed on palm trees for the
destruction of lives of inhabitants of the
quarter. According to the story, it was
calculated that whenever the palm fruits were
ripe the people of Umutu at Abbi
would die according to the number of fruits
that fell from the trees Many people
died as a result of the effect of this charm
The cause of this heavy death toll was
found out from an oracle The town was in a
panic and the quarter involved fled
in search of safer and more peaceful land.
This happened in the time of Okpala
Oke of Umuonya family Okpala Oke, the
Okpala-Uku of the quarter was left
behind by his children because they felt h was
too old to be earned along Okpala
Oke was thus left in grief to die with no one
by him He therefore swore and
pronounced a cause that no member of his
family would live long enough to be
an Okpala-Uku in future. He wept and died in
grief in his departed quarter at
Abbi. This ancestor was later appeased and
the cause was removed in 1939
when a member of Umuonya family became
an Okpala-Uku elect at Umutu. It
was removed through a ceremony known in
Ukwuani as ‘Isue Alua” in which it is
assumed that the living is forgiven by the
dead after the dead has been
appeased.
Umutu people had migrated on their way to a
new land running for dear life and
looking for fertile land. They moved in family
groups until they arrived at a place
near the present town ofUtagba-Uno. The
community still experienced some
invasions even when fertile land had not been
found. The people moved further
to a site near the presentAkokuTownwhere
they met Obeti, Ugulu and Umuaja
camped in different locations. The new groups
were friendly people Thus families
of Umutu emigrants settled in their own camp
at Akoku with the other friendly
quarters.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:19am On Dec 07, 2013
olisaokere: Fact still remains that be it Delta Igbo,Igbo,ibo,western igbo,eastern igbo still remains same thing and meaning- IGBO. Delta Igbo was used to actually differentiate Igbos of delta state from other tribes also found in Delta State like the Urhobos,itsekiris,ijaws,isokos..Nowadays a lot of us would love to be referred as Igbos of delta state rather than delta igbo and we are hoping to get our Anioma State soon and leave delta state for good.

Back to Ika and its communities,Every Ika clan have its origin. While that of Agbor is debatable ie the original inhabitants,Owa was largely derived from people who came from Nri which in Ika dialect is called NHI OR IHI. It's true that is Owa Ofie is the aboriginal people of Owa and they came from Benin. But in size Owa Ofie cannot be compared to the people who came from Nri whose descendants dominate Owa Oyibu,Owa Alizomor,Owanta and Owa Alero. Owa Alero originated from migrations from Owa Oyibu and Ute Okpu. The Obi of Owa,HRH Obi Ikechukwu Efeizomor 11 has long emphasized that most of his people are of Nri origin. He stated this his book on community development in Owa kingdom and he topok pictures with the Ezenri in that book. The name Owa is of Igbo origin It means a partition ie a partition from Ute Okpu. In this regard ika people are not different from Nsukka people where monarchies also existed through the inluence from the Igala kingdom.
In the past Nsukka people were not regarded as Igbos because of their unique cultures and languge. In fact Ika is more closer to "Igbo" than Nsukka. Also they bear such Igala names like Asadu,Idoko and Onoja. They have Igala deities. carry Igala tribal marks and have Igala masquerades. They also bear titles of Igala origin. So what is peculiar with Ika perhaps were governed as part of the old Western region. Ute Okpu,Owa and Ute Ogbeje were all part of the same migration from Nri

THE MOST IKA ATTITUDE IS SHAMEFUL AND I THINK THAT'S WHY THEY ARE CALLED FAKES. NOT ALL SEE THIS. THAT WE ARE BEEN COLONISED BY BENIN DOESN'T MAKE THEM BENIN. THEIR ATTITUDE IS EMBARRASSING. I KNOW THESE AREA VERY WELL. I DID MY NYSC IN BENIN AND ORIENTATION IN ABUDU. THEY CALL IGBANKE AND IKA OVWIE IGBO...MEANING ONYE IGBO. THIS IS LIKE TRYING TO FORCE BENIN THAT NEVER HAD A PLACE IN HISTORY FOR YOU TO BELONG. I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW I CAN BE ASSOCIATED WITH BENIN ANCESTRY WITH IT DESOLATENENESS AND FEMINISM.NEVER FOUGHT A SERIOUS WAR AND THEIR KING EXILED, THEY SHOULD HAVE COPIED NWACHUKWU WAR WITH BRITAIN THAT LASTED TEN YEARS OR THE EKUMEKU WARS OR WESTERN IGBO FLANK. WHAT BENIN GAVE US IS FRESHNESS AND DIABLOLISM. HOW CAN THEY ASSOCIATE WITH SUCH A DOCILE GROUP. WHEN BIAFRA OVER RAN THEM THEY DIDN'T EVEN RESIST. IT WAS A 24 HOUR CAMPAIGN WITH THEIR FAMED FRESHNESS. THEY COULDN'T WARD OF BRITHIAN NOR BIAFRA. WHAT A TOOTHLESS KINGDOM
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:29am On Dec 07, 2013
Nowenuse: Agbotaen, I also want to ask u. If per-adventure Nigeria breaks up today (which we don't pray for). Where will the Ikas be? In d proposed Niger-delta republic or Biafra with other igbos? I surely know that many Aniomas will go with their south-east brothers than prefer to go with Niger-delta republic.
I also want u 2know that if per-adventure Ika or any oda Igboid groups goes with Niger-delta identity 2day or a republic per-adventure break-up, they will smell real marginalisation and discrimination! because for all the other niger-deltan minorities like Urhobo, Bini, Ijaw e.t.c care you are all Delta igbos and further igbos, they will always see u ppl as aliens who should rightly be with other igbos. That's also similar to what u ppl are facing in Delta state today, the rest Niger-delta tribes feel it's like a taboo for a Delta igbo (also igbo to them) to rule a state like theirs, in spite of the fact that u ppl are kind of the majority with more LGAs. I really hope u are seein my point in all these.
Pls don't think I am Igbo or have any affiliation with Igbo in anyway, I am from the middlebelt, but only born and raised in Delta state.

my dear you have spoken well...they keep playing ostrich and what you.said has started happening. the stupid ika in edo called IGBANKE are suffering pepper and we igbos are so happy they are suffering that cos they changed their original name igbo akiri to stupid IGBANKE by idiotic Samuel. now they wish...to be back....no they can't. the agbonteanu and pharoh here do not understand that they are igbo and seen as one. I told them to go ask other tribes who they are. I lived also in OKERE road warri so I know what am doing. to be frank I do not think ika knows what's they are doing to themselves. we igbos forgive easily but we don't forget and this reference point for me. a boy cv came to my box he bears agbontea and ifeanyi but I don't think I might take him,maybe he is confused. I won't want to hire dual identity confused person lol....but they are slicing the nose in order to spite the face.

BROTHER FROM MIDDLEMEN YOU HAVE SPOKEN WELL. THANK GOD YOU ARE NOT IGBO AND YOU ARE TELLING THEM THE TRUTH. WE CALL THEIR TYPE IN EAST EFULEFUS.MAYBE FAKE IGBO WILL BE APT FOR SOME.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:39am On Dec 07, 2013
Nowenuse:

Agbotaen. Well I really admire ur vast and in depth knowledge of ur ppl. But I think u should know dat just as u claim that an Oshimili or anochia person can not speak 4all aniomas, likewise u should know that u urself don't speak for the whole ika/agbor people.
Though I'm not from Delta state, but I was born and bred in the state, I have really met with a lot of aniomas, evn more from agbor/ika as close family friends, and I must tell u dat u r d first I'v met who have claimed dat ika people don't identify thesemselvs as Delta igbo. All d rest I'v met will readily accept that they are Delta igbos/ Anioma from agbor. One tin I sure know is that they hate being called Igbos, but if u call them delta igbos, they are OK and accept well. Even this ika u are shouting, I hardly hear many of ur ppl claimin ika as an identity, worst they say they are from agbor. I must tell u dat Delta state recognises five major ethnic groups only, Urhobo, Isoko, Ijaw, Itsekiri and Anioma (delta igbo). With the way u talk, I see dat u personally really have and show very strong bini affiliations. Yes, ur ppl r a mixture of igbo and bini elements, while some of u bear more bini ancestry, others bear more igbo ancestry. All my growing up in delta state, warri precisely, we have always seen and adressed y'all from delta north (from Asaba to Anochia to kwale to Obiaruku to Agbor) as delta igbos. All this ur preaching of ika as a seperate identity and nation, none of us recognise. I wonda what that will really tell u. With all ur claims of attachment to Bini (that I'm not against), I don't see the average bini man of today eva accepting you as his brother or even acknowledgin ancestral relationship with you, that may have transpired in the past, and the knowledge of it gone with the older generations or still minimal amongst the elderly ppl. Yes I know there were igala (ebu) and olukunmi (yoruba) who came an settled amongst u delta igbos, but they were absorbed by the larger anioma culture, though som still retain their differences, nd u must know dat such a phenomenon is common with almost ervy tribe, where u find some with different ancestries who come to settle amongst the mainstream and are absorbed.

The hausa ppl u know today are not a ppl of one ancestry at all! Many of them are absorbed tribes, especially those from Bauchi, Sokoto, kebbi e.t.c. Some of them also are ancestrally fulani but have bcom culturally and linguistically hausa and even if they go back to identify with their pure mainstream cultural fulani, they are not well accepted and recognised. This is among the reasons why u see a kind of merged hausa/fulani identity today.
What about the igalas, idomas from the middlebelt and their neighbouring igbos? Many igbos from enugu and anambra today know well that they are of igala ancestry as well as many igalas today know they are of igbo ancestry. If u go to igalaland u'll find some igalas that look so much 100% like igbos, others like abokis (hausas) with like tribal marks, some like yorubas also. They themselvs all acknowledge their different ancestries, but they have held on to a common igala culture.

My point is that, it is not necessary that ppl who profess a common ethnicity must be of the same primordial pure breed ancestry. No sir! There can be difrent ancestries in a common culture. The determining factor of an ethnicity is mostly culture and the stronger/founding culture and ancestry of the merging ancestries should be the one that the other ancestries will submit to and accept modification. But in some rare cases though, hybrids are created which will be almost a clear 50/50 between the merging ancestries and cultures and will resemble neither of the parents cultures/ancestry more, hence will evolve into a new ethnicity.
If u also take a look at the nupes in central nigeria, they share boundary with yorubas and hausa/fulanis to an extent with which they have partially intermixed. The nupes in kwara appear more yoruba-ish in both dialect and culture while some nupes in Niger which r very close to fulanis and have inter-mixed appear more fulani both in dialects and cultures. But this has not really stopped the nupe nation from seeing themselves as one.
So I believe with this, it's really up to the ika people to converge largely and decide which culture they are to adopt and adhere to more, they should try to keep their ancestries behind a bit, as it would do no good in uniting them better. A very distict Ika tribe/ethnicity officially I think will hardly work out considering the great bond with the larger Anioma nation with which they have been identified for long. Their collective final decision I believe all should respect, but I tell u, dat if u ppl choose to accept the larger Anioma identity, then u ppl wuld also be associated with the Delta igbo identity and further, larger igbo identity, cos the Igbo elements in Anioma land as a whole is surely stronger than the bini/Edo, igala or yoruba element and hence must submit!

thank lord this is comming from a neutral mouth not even an igbo man mouth. we tell them that they are igbo but not that they are important to us. do you know that igbo and igalla has historical relationship but igalla is igalla not igbo. but ika is a part of igbo.we understand that people like agbontea his fore fathers were asylum seekers from Benin so he is a fake igbo...no apologies but we have pure igbos there from their names,actions you will know the real from fake. and agbontea is a fake.

BROTHERS THANKS FOR REMINDING THEM. IN IGBO LAND THEY SAY IT'S ONLY A BASTARDSS THAT POINTS HIS FATHERS HOUSE WITH LEFT HAND AND

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:44am On Dec 07, 2013
Pharoh: It is a joy when you ruffle some feathers with facts and see them shaking like a wet duck. grin
which feathers did you ruffled,where you swim in ignorance. you keep evading my question....how come UMUNNE and own that your so called fore fathers lie to you was established by Benin, have igbo town names.igbo language and igbo cuklture? pls fix this puzzle. did igbo colonised them or did they notice that Benin culture is stupid and they jettison it. pls answer me
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 5:02am On Dec 07, 2013
Some claimed not to be from delta state but only lived in warri but kept on using we core deltans lol like we do not actually know where they came from . . . grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 10:21am On Dec 07, 2013
Pharoh: Some claimed not to be from delta state but only lived in warri but kept on using we core deltans lol like we do not actually know where they came from . . . grin
We know the core deltans and Edwin Clark made it clear. If not why looking for anioma state. Lol ....what an ostrich principle . My brother wake up from slumber
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2013
tonychristopher:
We know the core deltans and Edwin Clark made it clear. If not why looking for anioma state. Lol ....what an ostrich principle . My brother wake up from slumber

*grins*
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 5:23pm On Dec 07, 2013
tonychristopher:

The message was not meant for you actually so don't wet your boxers please, its getting embarrassing as you keep on going from page to page with this obsession. grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by rhowly(m): 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2013
Proudly Anioma. I understand when people especially Igbos say im Igbo. It makes perfect sense. But what's really annoying is why it's a big deal to them, why they carry on loooooonnnng conversations such as i've seen here just to prove we are Igbos. It matters little one way or another. Una number never plenty reach, abi una wan we waka come Onitsha or Enugu? Wetin consign una if them dey marginalize us for Delta, them dey marginalize Igbo nationally too na. Leave all this o jare. Waste MBs elsewhere angry

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngbokwu: 7:15pm On Dec 07, 2013
rhowly: Proudly Anioma. I understand when people especially Igbos say im Igbo. It makes perfect sense. But what's really annoying is why it's a big deal to them, why they carry on loooooonnnng conversations such as i've seen here just to prove we are Igbos. It matters little one way or another. Una number never plenty reach, abi una wan we waka come Onitsha or Enugu? Wetin consign una if them dey marginalize us for Delta, them dey marginalize Igbo nationally too na. Leave all this o jare. Waste MBs elsewhere angry
baby girl, it seems what you enjoy hearing is when people who are originally Igbo say they are not.
there is no point allowing miscreants continue to spread falsehood. People will always be there to correct the lie.
Pikin wey say him mama no go sleep, that pikin too no go sleep.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 7:30pm On Dec 07, 2013
Bwahahahahahahaha grin . . . . men this anioma of a thing is giving people sleepless night oooo and to think we are just starting self.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by rhowly(m): 10:59pm On Dec 07, 2013
Ngbọkwụ:
baby girl, it seems what you enjoy hearing is when people who are originally Igbo say they are not.
there is no point allowing miscreants continue to spread falsehood. People will always be there to correct the lie.
Pikin wey say him mama no go sleep, that pikin too no go sleep.
First im not female. Second I don't see Kabba & Yorubas going back & forth...so what's the big deal? Tell yourself whatever and say whatever it won't change what we decide our tribe to be called irreverent of all info tabled. Give it a rest o my brother. The convo is pointless undecided
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by revolt(m): 12:27am On Dec 08, 2013
na wa o . tony and co pls free these saboteurs. I don't believe this threads still running

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by salam001(m): 9:24am On Dec 08, 2013
Nigeria: Ndokwa Not Igbo? It
is Politics, Not Anthropology!

BY PINI JASON, 3 OCTOBER 2006
OPINION
In 1992, in the heat of Gen. Ibrahim
Babangida's convoluted transition
programme, a friend from Delta State with
whom, in the 70s, we formed the addicted
patrons of Fela's Shrine, from Kakadu to
Surulere Night Club, came to see me in my
office at Bishop Oluwole Street, Victoria
Island. Because of Mallam Abba Dabo,
publisher of the Insider Confidential
Newsletter, which I edited, our Bishop
Oluwole office was one of the hubs of
politics then. In fact, the Liberal Convention,
with my friend Chief Ojo
Maduekwe as Gen. Secretary, was formed in
our Insider office. And so we got into
political discussion, which sometimes
strayed into disputation settled over bottles
of beer. My friend from the Igbo-speaking
area of Delta (then Bendel) confided to me,
what he called his political strategy. He said
to me, look, there is no doubt that I am Igbo.
I know that, and every Nigerian knows me
as such. But as a political strategy, it suits me
to identify with the minorities. As a minority,
I have a better chance politically, than to
identify with the majority Igbo and get
swamped by their number. As a minority, I
can contest any post and maybe win. But
among my brothers, I cannot even emerge
at a local government level. And true, my
friend was one of the "political champions"
in Bendel then! I understood him perfectly.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
rhowly: Proudly Anioma. I understand when people especially Igbos say im Igbo. It makes perfect sense. But what's really annoying is why it's a big deal to them, why they carry on loooooonnnng conversations such as i've seen here just to prove we are Igbos. It matters little one way or another. Una number never plenty reach, abi una wan we waka come Onitsha or Enugu? Wetin consign una if them dey marginalize us for Delta, them dey marginalize Igbo nationally too na. Leave all this o jare. Waste MBs elsewhere angry

I do want to state this clear. I don't have anything to loose if you dudes decides on whatever you call yourselves, you were mid west igbo,then bendel igbo,then delta igbo then anioma maybe to aniomanu but one thing is clear here. if you look at the people saying they ain't igbo they are the one we call fake igbo. it doesn't concern me a bit just that I want to straighten a whole lot of distorted history told to you guys but your parents but thank lord other tribes will remind you whom you are maybe when there is high level of amnesia. If you people notice my post I back em up with credible references not one stupid Facebook quote on newspaper cutting. another thing of note here is that those delta north that claims they ain't igbo look at them well. they are losers and I have come to realise that its empty vessels that makes the most noise. I haven't seen pat utomi, nduka of thisday or any obi or EZE say that they ain't igbo. but those that make noise the most are a few rotten Apple that wants to spit a whole lot. what am I driving at . you Acn decide to call your self anything even idiotic igbo. cos from mid west igbo to bendel igbo to delta igbo now anioma maybe next is idiotic igbo. don't you get ashamed. ALL I DO IS FOR POSTERITY REASON. I GIVE YOU RESEARCH SO THAT OTHER REASONABLE PEOPLE FROM THERE WILL SEE THE TRUTH AND LACUNA IN THE LIES YOU HAVE BEEN COOKING. as of some dudes like you. I will term you EFULEFU OR LOST SOUL...WHERE YOU LOST you were never igbo but a son of asylum seeker from edo
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
revolt: na wa o . tony and co pls free these saboteurs. I don't believe this threads still running

Nna the truth must be told not for them,cos they are incorrigible but for reasonable sons of soil to see and take mental note. our people say when a lie has been told over and over it will have a semblance of truth. so we have to correct these distorted history then we can bid them bye bye maybe adieu or requiem like we did for IGBANKE in their sorry state.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
rhowly:
First im not female. Second I don't see Kabba & Yorubas going back & forth...so what's the big deal? Tell yourself whatever and say whatever it won't change what we decide our tribe to be called irreverent of all info tabled. Give it a rest o my brother. The convo is pointless undecided

if you are not a female why take up female nomenclature...maybe a gay you are or a lesby...the starting point of identity crisis.....how can a full grown man go effeminate...must you be taken serously? the answer is no

aturu muru ebule gba aka nwa....ndooo

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Pharoh:

The message was not meant for you actually so don't wet your boxers please, its getting embarrassing as you keep on going from page to page with this obsession. grin

ab initio we have known that you are incorrigible and confused. so have you answered a simple question I asked you....how come umunede is an igbo word same with igbodo,igbo akiri yet they were formed by your masters the Benin. when you answer that .I will take you seriously,but as of now you are inconsequential
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:52pm On Dec 08, 2013

today is Sunday . I am catching fun with the level of buffonry here. pls don't say we,but use I. not everybody in delta state sees this from your confused view. do you reason at al. asaba that are full blooded igbos has anambrarians swallowed them up? you do not only have identity issue but a complete complex syndrome. the fear of igbos is the beginning of wisdom. I think that's what they have told you. maybe your son of one itinerant Benin man trying to soil the names of other people. talk for yourself biko not for others ok. ask one funny esogbue the embarrassment he faced
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 9:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
tonychristopher:

ab initio we have known that you are incorrigible and confused. so have you answered a simple question I asked you....how come umunede is an igbo word same with igbodo,igbo akiri yet they were formed by your masters the Benin. when you answer that .I will take you seriously,but as of now you are inconsequential

It seems you have not grasped the concept of igboid languages, if not you will not be asking this daft questions that my five year old cousin will be ashamed to ask after the points i gave you in the previous pages.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by oturugo(m): 9:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
Pharoh:

It seems you have not grasped the concept of igboid languages, if not you will not be asking this daft questions that my five year old cousin will be ashamed to ask after the points i gave you in the previous pages.

Poor boy, you have nothing sensible to contribute anymore. Go and rest Biko. It is clear you are not Igbo but do not make a mistake of saying ukwuala, Ukwuani or Ukwuana is not Igbo. Few of you who are not Igbo should leave Ndigbo alone either in the east or west of the niger
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 9:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
tonychristopher:

today is Sunday . I am catching fun with the level of buffonry here. pls don't say we,but use I. not everybody in delta state sees this from your confused view. do you reason at al. asaba that are full blooded igbos has anambrarians swallowed them up? you do not only have identity issue but a complete complex syndrome. the fear of igbos is the beginning of wisdom. I think that's what they have told you. maybe your son of one itinerant Benin man trying to soil the names of other people. talk for yourself biko not for others ok. ask one funny esogbue the embarrassment he faced ....why beg us for the creation of your state. this mentality is what your neighbours in ishan,urhobo etc will see and won't trust you neither will I trust you. no wonder the term saboteurs was apt for individuals like you. oh what a shame ....trace your lineage biko .....I am just getting warmed up,my torpedoes are laser guided. do simple research or ask other tribes then comeback and rant ok.
Are you referring to Emeka Esogbue? What embarrassment was that? I know Emeka has been more into Anioma stuff than Igbo stuff that he used to be pre-occupied with.

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111)

The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.