Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,986 members, 7,799,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (243852 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Are you referring to Emeka Esogbue? What embarrassment was that? I know Emeka has been more into Anioma stuff than Igbo stuff that he used to be pre-occupied with.

Esogbue was pro igbo unity not until he got influenced by the Anti igbo bigots.So i wont be surprised if he comes out to say he is no longer igbo but that wouldnt bother me anyways.For most of us who know who we are cant be influenced and can never deny our Igbo Origin.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 11:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
olisaokere:

Esogbue was pro igbo unity not until he got influenced by the Anti igbo bigots.So i wont be surprised if he comes out to say he is no longer igbo but that wouldnt bother me anyways.For most of us who know who we are cant be influenced and can never deny our Igbo Origin.
I used to follow Emeka when he was writing pro-Igbo articles but recently, he resents anything Igbo. You'll hardly hear him mention Igbo in his articles.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 12:02am On Dec 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
I used to follow Emeka when he was writing pro-Igbo articles but recently, he resents anything Igbo. You'll hardly hear him mention Igbo in his articles.

I was following him too.but after i noticed he started mingling with bigots and a change in opinion,i forgot about him.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:30am On Dec 09, 2013
olisaokere:

YOU JUST KILLED IT BRO....ONE OSSAI.BRAINWASHED THAT MAN...I LEARNT THAT HE IS NOW TREATED WITH LONG SPOON. MOST ASSOCIATIONS SEEMS NOT TO BE COMFORTABLE ASSOCIATING THEMSELVES WITH HIS TYPE COS ...DOING SO WILL AMOUNT TO THEIR CULTURAL ANNIHILATION AND SUICIDE. SO THEY GAVE EM ARMS LENGTH . YOU KNOW THESE SONS OF BENIN ASSYLUM SEEKERS HAVE A WAY OF CREATING MAYHEM...THEY HAVE SEEN THAT THEY ARE NEITHER EDOS NOR IGBOS SO THEY WANT TO DRAG ALL DELTA NORTH INTO THEIR USU(BAT) MENTALITY. BUT THANK LORD SONS OF SOIL LIKE YOU ARE MAKING THEM UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE NOT BONAFIDE SONS BUT MIGRANT ANCESTRY FROM EDO. DOES IT HURT EM THAT THEY SPEAK IGBO.

NNA,RAPU NDI NWURU ANWU NA AGA IJE,KA FA JEBE . UDO DIRI UMU IGBO BU IGBO. OFOR OGONOGO NDU NA AHU ISI IKE BURU NKE ANYI. ANYI GA NA EJE NA ABATA. EGBE BERE UGO BERE. ONYE SI NA ANYI AMA ANO NA UDO ,YA NWA AMAGHI ANO NA UDO .

CHUKWU OLISA DUBE ANYI...UMUNNE M EKENE M

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
[quote author=olisaokere]

I was following him too.but after i noticed he started mingling with bigots and a change in opinion,i forgot about
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:17pm On Dec 10, 2013
1. my fore fathers have not been marginalised , it is igbos that cry marginalisation every time , ika people dont.
2. an ika man from igbanke called ogbemudia was two times governor of midwest and bendel state.
3. ika kingdoms are older than your stupid creation like you so called biafra and it is older than nigeria and so we will always exist.
4. when we were in old western region with yorubas , agbor and owa kingdoms had ministers in ibadan .
5. when we were in bendel state we had commissioners and in midwest we had ministers and commissioners , so we never lacked like igbo propagandists are always crying ,
6. during the time of ogbemudia , igbanke was developed but later governors did not do much for them , but oshiomole is trying to do some thing for them , and igbanke is not the only under developed area of edo state , many benin towns are still villages too , and how many igbo towns apart from the state capitals are developed ? igbos should go and change their bad image of kidnapping and selling babies and doing many evil things for money before they talk about others.
7. if ika people in their majority rejected bein igbo during the civil war , so why do you think they want to be igbo now ? and they are not even coming near your ohaneze ndigbo , why all these propaganda , as no ika man will come near any thing igbo .
8. if nigeria breaks up , we know those we will align with , it is not for igbos to tell us who to go with , they can rot in their biafra with their brothers , that is not an ika mans business .
8. we are ika people thats what we care to know , if igbos like let them keep crying , ika will never go with igbo, i have said it that you should make do with some kingdoms in delta north that claim to be igbos or did ika support you during your biafra war ? majority of ika fought for nigeria and assisted in expelling igbos from ika nation.
9. the dumb igbo man that keeps asking silly questions about ika town names , is agbon which means earth in benin language now called agbor an igbo word ?
2. avbavbo now called abavo is a benin name , or is that an igbo name ?
3. we have villages such as -------------
4. uvbere
5. idumuezomor
6. ogbeisogban
7. idumu-eki
8. ozanogogo
9. idumu-ille
10 , ibiegua , are these also igbo names ?

11. as for ika nation , we do not claim to be from same place as we migrated from benin, ishan , ora, ndokwa, igbo and other areas to form ika nation , even in a kingdom people came from different places , in owa the first group of people that came were benin people from ikoha that is why we say owa , adagba nikoha , that is owa whose ancestors came from ikoha in benin , in ovia local govt.and they settled in owa-ofien , after that came another group from benin led by ugbasogun and he landed at owa -ekei , and later people from ute-okpu came after about 500 years that the people have settled , and these migration brought nri -migrants from ute into owa .
but the reality of today is that we are ika ethnic nation , just like igbos or yorubas or kanuris or uhrobos or isokos .

12. for the stupid igbo man who does not know his ancestors , i am a son of the soil , a real ika and owa man from a royal lineage as my fore fathers built owa kingdom , i am from idumu-izomor royal village , and am a descendant of obi igbedigin no gidigan -the great , father of prince omigie , who founded idumu-izomor, my family history can be traced from 13th century till date , so when i speak about ika or owa , i know what am saying , and i recount family and town history that can only be known by a royal house member .

13. finally ika people are not part of your biafran day dream of breaking away from nigeria , so igbos keep dreaming , may be one day you will be granted your wish of biafra nation , but please dont count ika as part of your biafra , because when you fathers did in 1967 , it failled .
igbos are just too confussed , today they will tell you they came from nri in anambra , tomorrow they will say they are from igbo uku and tommorrow they are jews from isreal , and right now they will say we want a nigerian president of igbo extraction , and next we want biafra , i reccommend that igbos should go and settle their confussion , before trying to tell ika people who they are .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:36pm On Dec 10, 2013
1. for igbo propagandists on this net , ika nation has never claimed that they are benin people and neither have we claimed to be igbos , it is igbos that are making claims as to why they believe ika is igbo or should be igbo.
2. ika nation is an ethnic group just like igbo or yoruba we are not igbo and we are not benin , we are ika, i always repeat this fact but it seems many igbos are daft or just plain ignorant , and your hatred of benin will do you know good , as benin empire has more recognition than any igbo kingdo or community , so please learn to respect people

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:39pm On Dec 10, 2013
the obi of akumazi , steven osagie is now 60 years on the throne and he is one of the worlds oldest reigning monarch , long live akumazi, long live ika , obi ni tor nei fei , iseh.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 6:32pm On Dec 10, 2013
Agbontaen, you've made your point countlessly that your family descent is Bini, with no tinge of Igbo whatsoever. Agreed. Why then are you dragging the whole of Ika people into your penchant for separatedness? Have you failed to realize that many other Ikas like you have Igbo surnames and first names, Igbo ancestors and no bini ancestors whatsoever and trace their ancestry back to Igbo founding fathers from Nri? Does this fact skip your mind or you choose to play conspicuously blind to this fact?

Have you also failed to realize that the number of Ikas with Bini surnames and ancestry are smaller in ratio compared to Ikas with Igbo ancestry?

And do you also realize that any Ika with bini surname had his first father/ancestor who migrated from Bini land to settle in Ika land to meet Igbo-speaking Ikas there already?

Have you chosen to play blind to the fact that Bini-name-bearing people are migrants to Delta Igbo land just as the olukumis and Ebus of Igala are too? That bini-ikas share the same status with olukumis and Ebus as foreigners?

Are you also aware that many Ikas see themselves as Igbo? Wizboy for example? Igbodos and Ekwuomas too?

Also, why are you very obsessed with this Ika drop down mentality? Do you realize that all your posts from the first day you created this account of yours(august 2010) to this very day(dec 2013) have all been on this thread? You've never posted on any other thread of a different topic before, neither have you opened any thread of your own discussing an entirely different topic. For the last 3 years, you've been commenting only on this particular thread. Isn't this clearly an obsession gone extreme?

You are clearly obsessed with this issue and also enjoying the massive attention you're receiving from this argument going back and forth. The best solution is to end this argument while you take your Ika mentality with you to somewhere else to whoever that cares to listen.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
bigfrancis21: Agbontaen, you've made your point countlessly that your family descent is Bini, with no tinge of Igbo whatsoever. Agreed. Why then are you dragging the whole of Ika people into your penchant for separatedness? Have you failed to realize that many other Ikas like you have Igbo surnames and first names, Igbo ancestors and no bini ancestors whatsoever and trace their ancestry back to Igbo founding fathers from Nri? Does this fact skip your mind or you choose to play conspicuously blind to this fact?

Have you also failed to realize that the number of Ikas with Bini surnames and ancestry are smaller in ratio compared to Ikas with Igbo ancestry?

And do you also realize that any Ika with bini surname had his first father/ancestor who migrated from Bini land to settle in Ika land to meet Igbo-speaking Ikas there already?

Have you chosen to play blind to the fact that Bini-name-bearing people are migrants to Delta Igbo land just as the olukumis and Ebus of Igala are too? That bini-ikas share the same status with olukumis and Ebus as foreigners?

Are you also aware that many Ikas see themselves as Igbo? Wizboy for example? Igbodos and Ekwuomas too?

Also, why are you very obsessed with this Ika drop down mentality? Do you realize that all your posts from the first day you created this account of yours(august 2010) to this very day(dec 2013) have all been on this thread? You've never posted on any other thread of a different topic before, neither have you opened any thread of your own discussing an entirely different topic. For the last 3 years, you've been commenting only on this particular thread. Isn't this clearly an obsession gone extreme?

You are clearly obsessed with this issue and also enjoying the massive attention you're receiving from this argument going back and forth. The best solution is to end this argument while you take your Ika mentality with you to somewhere else to whoever that cares to listen.

MY BROTHER....I HAVE LEARNT TO IGNORE HIM....HE LACKS SHAME,IN SHORT SHAME AND SANITY IS A LUXURY WHICH AGBONTEAS CAN'T AFFORD. WE KNOW THAT EMPTY VESSELS MAKE A WHOLE LOT NOISE. FROM HIS POST HE IS MENTALLY LIQUIDATED AND BANKRUPT. HE KEEPS REGURGITATING ISSUES THAT ARE FACELESS AND BASELESS. I TOLD HIM THAT IF HE ISN'T DELTA OF IGBO ORIGIN HE SHOULD GO TO BENIN THREAD AND FRATERNITY....BUT TO SHOW YOU HIS LEVEL OF IDIOCY AND OBNOXIOUS ATTITUDE HE IS STILL HERE....THAT IS IDENTITY CRISIS AT IT'S HEIGHT. I PITY HIM,I PITY HIS CHILDREN IF HE HAS ANY COS THEY WILL BE. SO CONFUSED THAT THEY WILL BE WORSE THAN USU OR BAT. SO IGNORE HIM..HE LACKS INTELLECTUAL CAPACITY FOR MENTAL DISCOURSE. IT'S NOT ME THAT WILL TELL HIM WHERE HE IS FROM BUT HIS NEIGHBOURING TRIBES LIKE IJAW,ISHAN ETC. THANK GOD PEOPLE LIKE EDWIN CLARKE AND ALL THESE IJAW HOT HEADS WILL REMIND THEM. HE IS AN EFULEFU OR OFEKE

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 8:44pm On Dec 10, 2013
agbotaen: 1. for igbo propagandists on this net , ika nation has never claimed that they are benin people and neither have we claimed to be igbos , it is igbos that are making claims as to why they believe ika is igbo or should be igbo.
2. ika nation is an ethnic group just like igbo or yoruba we are not igbo and we are not benin , we are ika, i always repeat this fact but it seems many[b] igbos are daft or just plain ignorant[/b] , and your hatred of benin will do you know good , as benin empire has more recognition than any igbo kingdo or community , so please learn to respect people

I don't know why the highlighted facts above always eludes you guys and if there are actually people from Ika nation that claims to igbo then let them come to this thread to defend themselves. Why are people who are not from Ika land so concerned about Ika people, leave the Ikas who claim to be igbos to defend themselves while you mind your business.

That is how someone claim that it is only the ones who deny their igbo identity that you will find on facebook and other created groups. So i ask that if they are in minority then is it not a shame that that the majority who claim to be igbos cannot even create a facebook page and claim that aniomas are igbos. All the groups you see on facebook and all over the internet always claim pro anioma, pro Ika and Pro ndokwa so where is this fathom aniomas that claim to be igbos. Why don't you ask those that claim that they are from anioma and igbos to tell you which online groups they belong to that claim to be igbos.

Stop the obsession with anioma people and let them be, let them decide whatever they want to be and you guys should mind your business seriously. You don't see yoruba people getting obsessed about their brothers in delta, kwara or kogi but it is different from you guys and i just wonder why.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 11:34pm On Dec 10, 2013
Pharoh:

I don't know why the highlighted facts above always eludes you guys and if there are actually people from Ika nation that claims to igbo then let them come to this thread to defend themselves. Why are people who are not from Ika land so concerned about Ika people, leave the Ikas who claim to be igbos to defend themselves while you mind your business.

That is how someone claim that it is only the ones who deny their igbo identity that you will find on facebook and other created groups. So i ask that if they are in minority then is it not a shame that that the majority who claim to be igbos cannot even create a facebook page and claim that aniomas are igbos. All the groups you see on facebook and all over the internet always claim pro anioma, pro Ika and Pro ndokwa so where is this fathom aniomas that claim to be igbos. Why don't you ask those that claim that they are from anioma and igbos to tell you which online groups they belong to that claim to be igbos.

Stop the obsession with anioma people and let them be, let them decide whatever they want to be and you guys should mind your business seriously. You don't see yoruba people getting obsessed about their brothers in delta, kwara or kogi but it is different from you guys and i just wonder why.
Your post above shows that you have not read through this this thread from the mmalite. Ikas who are proud Igbo have bben here long and made their mark unlike your hero who has for the past one year been repeating himself. Very shameful.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by somegirl1: 4:31am On Dec 11, 2013
agbotaen: 1. learn to appreciate others , and learn to say the truth , igbos surely took kingship from other people , it is the british that introduced the igbos to warrant chiefs that later turned to kings , and even many communities in igboland that did not have kings are now having , his royal majesties.
2. it was due to the absence of a central authority in igboland unlike the hausa land that have been influenced by islamic monarchy that the british formed warrant chiefs in the east.

agbotaen: 2. igbos were not known to have kings in the past but now all their villages are now quashi kingdoms , and they are cannot tell us that they borrowed kingship from ika/ bini people.

Igbos in the south east didn't have kings/ monarchs at the time the Europeans came. There is a reason for the old saying "Igbo enweghi Eze".
If everyone around us including Benin, Kalabari, Efik/ Ibibio with whom we had dealings from time immemorial had kings, do you not think there is a reason we opted for a democratic government where the people governed the people rather than monarchy? Kingship wasn't alien to us, probably something we'd practised initially and decided it wasn't for us.
I personally don't see anything wonderful about having/ having had a king. I prefer the south eastern system of government, which was more effective. We didn't have many Igbos fleeing their lands for fear of a ruler like Binis did as I've gathered from the numerous accounts of Bini migration.

Igbo communities and area governments were overwhelmingly ruled solely by a consultative assembly of the common people. Communities were usually governed and administered by a council of elders.

Although title holders were respected because of their accomplishments and capabilities, they were never revered as kings, but often performed special functions given to them by such assemblies. This way of governing was immensely different from most other communities of Western Africa, and only shared by the Ewe of Ghana.

Ours was/ is a unique system. We've practised democracy for centuries, something Nigeria is struggling to get the hang of. It takes a great deal of organization and civilization to maintain such a system. It is a lot easier to comply with laws/ orders created by a ruler imposed on you than with laws/ orders created by an ordinary man such as yourself.
The Brits who supposedly introduced kingship to us now use our style of governance where they have several MPs, ordinary people elected by the people.The queen of England's role is now just ceremonial.
What does one need Obis, Obas etc who were stripped of their powers by a foreign queen for?
Quit going on and on about kingship like it's something to be especially proud of.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by somegirl1: 4:49am On Dec 11, 2013
agbotaen:
finally the first names that umunede kingdom was called was ukpehoro kingdom and later it was changed to umunede , ukpehoro primary school is in umunede as a testimony and that is purely an edo name .

If this is true, I must say Igbos are greater people than I initially imagined. The supposedly relatively less organized, less powerful people not only revolutionized the language and culture of the supposedly more organized, more powerful ones but also changed their place names. Their king(s) could/ would not object to this and the "favour" wasn't returned? These we managed without kings of our own? We truly are great. smiley

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 5:05am On Dec 11, 2013
some-girl:

If this is true, I must say Igbos are greater people than I initially imagined. The supposedly relatively less organized, less powerful people not only revolutionized the language and culture of the supposedly more organized, more powerful ones but also changed their place names. Their king(s) could/ would not object to this and the "favour" wasn't returned? These we managed without kings of our own? We truly are great. smiley

Damn girl wey sabi..
E ma akwukwo, she as you just rubbished agboanten's premise on agbor this agbor that...

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 6:24am On Dec 11, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Your post above shows that you have not read through this this thread from the mmalite. Ikas who are proud Igbo have bben here long and made their mark unlike your hero who has for the past one year been repeating himself. Very shameful.

They made marks that could not convince people on the other side of the fence and to me this is very far reaching. The same reason that they are not here anymore is the same reason that you should not be here anymore. It has become pointless really and to think you guys have dragged it on to over 100 pages and still counting on is very shameful.

One thing that is clear is that you guys are very ignorant of the whole igbo issue and not so conversant with recent research that has helped to identify the ethnic groups in the igbo nationality. You guys will be grateful to the people you are castigating here in the future when your eyes become opened. This was how a yoruba clearly told those arguing with him that there is nothing like dialect of the yoruba language as you guys have been made to believe.

There is nothing like dialect of the igbo language, Nsukka, owerre, Ika, Ukwuani are all separate languages and separate ethnic groups. Please you guys should stop embarrassing yourselves, pick up research papers and be conversant with the whole igbo issue.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 6:27am On Dec 11, 2013
This is a recent research from an academic who i believe is from south eastern Nigeria and she has accurately divided the so called igbo nationality into its constituent units that breaks down to 14 different groups. Each of this groups are separate languages and is the basis for forming separate ethnic groups unlike the notion that igbo is one ethnic group and over 800 laughable dialects.

http://www.rogerblench.info/Language/Niger-Congo/VN/Igboid/Comparative%20Igboid%20complete.pdf

The other research that divided them into five cluster group should be the basis for forming autonomous states or regions and this is a clear indication that the anioma movement is valid as it was rightly identified as western igbo from that research.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:55am On Dec 11, 2013
Pharoh:

I THINK IT WILL BE NICE TO SPEAK FOR YOURSELF AND DON'T DRAG THE REASONABLE IGBOS OF DELTA ORIGIN INTO YOUR MADNESS AND IDENTITY CRISIS...THE OBIS AND KINGS OF ANIOMA HAVE MADE THEIR STAND KNOWN FROM OBI OF OWA TO ASAGBA OF ASABA...THEY HAVE SAID THEIR ORIGIN AND ARE IN IGBO UNION ....SO WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.I REPEAT I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD WHERE ANY KING FROM DELTA IGBO SAID THEY AIN'T IGBO NEITHER HAVE I HEARD FROM RIVERS IGBO ALSO. SO TELL ME,IF THE KINGS IN THE COMMUNITIES SAY THEY ARE IGBOS OR HAVE NEVER DISCLAIMED BEEN IGBO ....WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE WHAT A RIFF RAFF AND URCHINS ARE SAYING HERE. EVEN IN REAL LIFE I HAVE COME TO MEET SOMUCH. IGBO FROM DELTA AND THEY DON'T DENY BEEN IGBO. YES WE HAVE SOME SMALL IMPURE BLOOD FROM EDO BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT ALL ARE FROM EDO. WE HAVE REAL IGBOS FROM DELTA AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE WHAT THEY CALL FAKE IGBO. IF I DON'T BELIEVE THE KINGS WHO ARE THE CUSTODIAN OF CULTURE WHO THE HELP ARE YOU THAT I WILL BELIEVE
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:05am On Dec 11, 2013
Pharoh: This is a recent research from an academic who i believe is from south eastern Nigeria and she has accurately divided the so called igbo nationality into its constituent units that breaks down to 14 different groups. Each of this groups are separate languages and is the basis for forming separate ethnic groups unlike the notion that igbo is one ethnic group and over 800 laughable dialects.

http://www.rogerblench.info/Language/Niger-Congo/VN/Igboid/Comparative%20Igboid%20complete.pdf

The other research that divided them into five cluster group should be the basis for forming autonomous states or regions and this is a clear indication that the anioma movement is valid as it was rightly identified as western igbo from that research.

I think education is wasted on you....you have failed to realize that in igbo ethnic group...the word group ....it is made up of so many dialects and regionalism that are highy mutually intelligible to all. enugu man will not need an interpreter to interpret what an ndoni man or ukwuani man speaks so is yoruba . an ife man won't need an interpreter to interpret what an okun man or ijebus speak. these groups have the same culture. if you have been to England which I doubt ....you will notice that a londoner has a different accent to Manchester and saxons but they are all English ...the problem with daft fellows like you is you mix up regionalism with dialect,accent and language. they are not the same. try do a crash course .in linguistic 101. oh that is if you have the capacity to learn. I notice that you are incorrigible so education might be a wasted project on you. so the best bet is to allow you wallow in your ignorance ....Benin origin my asss

point of correction nobody forced obi of OWA and others to say they are nri ,no body forced IGBANKE to want to revert to their original name igbo akiri,nobody forced IKAS to bear igbo name and use igbo titles,nobody forced the founding fathers of ohaneze NDI igbo from delta to be members. I think if you are not okay with the igbo cultural miasma ...I think the best think for you is look for a nearby transformer and give it a hug .....what EFFONTREY .I am not trying to make you change your ideology but for visitors to this thread understand the truths. some idiots told me about Facebook. any monkey can form the Facebook page. are the ika Facebook page members upto 1000 members . now you want to use Facebook as a credible reference. what a shame.lack of credible materials. people like Edwin Clarke, here, onanefe,ejiros will truly remind you whom you are not me.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by oboy3(m): 7:20am On Dec 11, 2013
this agbontea of a guy eh,from the begining of this thread to this very day has always beign reguirgitating the differences between his beloved ika and igbo,my dear brother why dont you tell us more of our similarity and lets see if ika are not igbos
i am from idemili,if i start writing the differences in my dialect with other igbo dialect say owerri,you would be suprised
so if you really want to convince us you are not igbo,bring up something tangible and not all these filmsy reasons

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:32am On Dec 11, 2013
some-girl:

Igbos in the south east didn't have kings/ monarchs at the time the Europeans came. There is a reason for the old saying "Igbo enweghi Eze".
If everyone around us including Benin, Kalabari, Efik/ Ibibio with whom we had dealings from time immemorial had kings, do you not think there is a reason we opted for a democratic government where the people governed the people rather than monarchy? Kingship wasn't alien to us, probably something we'd practised initially and decided it wasn't for us.
I personally don't see anything wonderful about having/ having had a king. I prefer the south eastern system of government, which was more effective. We didn't have many Igbos fleeing their lands for fear of a ruler like Binis did as I've gathered from the numerous accounts of Bini migration.

Ours was/ is a unique system. We've practised democracy for centuries, something Nigeria is struggling to get the hang of. It takes a great deal of organization and civilization to maintain such a system. It is a lot easier to comply with laws/ orders created by a ruler imposed on you than with laws/ orders created by an ordinary man such as yourself.
The Brits who supposedly introduced kingship to us now use our style of governance where they have several MPs, ordinary people elected by the people.The queen of England's role is now just ceremonial.
What does one need Obis, Obas etc who were stripped of their powers by a foreign queen for?
Quit going on and on about kingship like it's something to be especially proud of.

nne,igbugo m, I think I will leave them to you so that you can handle them,we had kings,if we never had any the word EZE would not be found in our lexicon or do we say igboeze a town in enugu was formed recently. just that we jettison kingship for kinship. a sort of government where kins make laws not kings. that I feel is better. even today in ukwuani they practise gerontocracy not monarchy. does monarch make you civilized the answer is capital NO...Benin with their monarchy how have they fared...have you been to Benin lately. it is alien to igboman to prostrate for one man in name of kings,igbos believe they can make it in life you don't need any mortal king to lord it for them that's why kings are just figure head but the real power lies in kins (UMUNNA)

does great Sparta ,Rome,Greece united states ,Latin America,Brazil,Australia,new Zealand and Canada have kings? or they want to tell me their so called sublime Benin is more civilized than them with .....

nne your such an intelligent lady...if umunaede changed their names to igbo names it then means that their fore fathers must have been more stupid than their kids. oh I forget .it runs in genes. identity crisis.REVELATIONS LIKE THIS MAKES ME A PROUD IGBO WHEN I HEAR THE EXPLOITS OF IGBO. how can we change their names,their language,their mind set their way of life and everything . it then means that igbos are the best colonisers lets leave them to wash their dirty linen in public and let them ridicule their fore fathers

babe, idi egwu,jide nke idi, Nna gi muru gi

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 9:00am On Dec 11, 2013
This is what a Yoruba man has to say about his language and the Yoruba identity and not this crap that you people post here all the time.

https://www.nairaland.com/729479/why-edo-people-speak-yoruba/2#down
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 10:26am On Dec 11, 2013
Pharoh:

Young man,if you are sincere to yourself you will notice hugely that alot of igbos in delta state who happen to be in these groups still attack those anti igbos that created these pages to the extent that these bigots have known that they cant achieve their aim of making anioma look like not an igbo area.they still maintain and tell them that we are igbos no matter how hard they try to hide the truth.That is why till tomorrow,we call them(bigots) [b]"Loud Minority"[/b]ie "those i no be igbo" peddlers as they go about creating pages to tell people they dont want to be igbos again.majority of us who do not wish to change our igbo identity are not troubled and we go our normal business and associate very well with our kiths and kins in the east and we stay in unity and we all discuss the progress of Igbo is diaspora.I MEAN WHY WOULD I WANT TO START CREATING WEB PAGES ON FACEBOOK TO TELL PEOPLE WE ARE IGBOS WHEN ALREADY WE ARE IGBOS AND NIGERIANS KNOW THAT WE ARE IGBOS AND WE ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THAT AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE??As long as i am concerned PHAROH,you have IDENTITY PROBLEMS AND YOU ARE TROUBLED that is why you and AGBONTAEN will tear yourselves down to disassociate yourself from the igbo world.TRUST ME IF I KNEW YOU IN REAL LIFE,I WILL IGNORE YOU BECAUSE WE DONT REASON ALIKE.What troubles me is all you that claim not to be igbo still name your newborns Igbo names.THIS IS JUST IDENTITY CRISIS AND IT WILL SURELY AFFECT YOU IN LIFE SOMEDAY.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 10:38am On Dec 11, 2013
I think the only reason why this argument is moving non-stop is because you guys have always put Anioma in one bracket. We have to speak on the specific groups that makeup Anioma or Delta-Igbo. The Aniocha people don't have a problem with their Igbo identity. Those that deny their Igbo identity from Aniocha are in the minority. It's mostly people from Ika and Ukwuani that have a problem with the Igbo identity but there are still people from those parts who are proud Igbop and right here in the forum, we have the likes of One_Naira, wesley, Ify_angela etc. I think we should seize from describing Igboship from a territorial point of view but from a personal point of view. There are proud Igbos in ikwerre, ika, Ukwuani, Ndoni etc and also people who don't see themselves as Igbos.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 11:11am On Dec 11, 2013
Afam4eva: I think the only reason why this argument is moving non-stop is because you guys have always put Anioma in one bracket. We have to speak on the specific groups that makeup Anioma or Delta-Igbo. The Aniocha people don't have a problem with their Igbo identity. Those that deny their Igbo identity from Aniocha are in the minority. It's mostly people from Ika and Ukwuani that have a problem with the Igbo identity but there are still people from those parts who are proud Igbop and right here in the forum, we have the likes of One_Naira, wesley, Ify_angela etc. I think we should seize from describing Igboship from a territorial point of view but from a personal point of view. There are proud Igbos in ikwerre, ika, Ukwuani, Ndoni etc and also people who don't see themselves as Igbos.

This post sums it all up except the part of locating where majority is and where the minority proponent is but i consign this post fully. Those who claim to be non igbos from ukwuani and Ika have absolutely nothing against igbo people and see them as brothers so there is no strife at all. Those that want to live their life as ukwuani, anioma, igbo or Ika are free to do so and it doesn't stop or affect the brotherhood that exist between them. No ukwuani man has ever told an aniocha man that he is not igbo, we respect their choice as long as they respect our own choice too, life is about live and let live. Well with this your all encompassing post, there is nothing much to say here and those who are still troubled by their ignorance can carry on with the campaign.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:55pm On Dec 11, 2013
Pharoh:

This post sums it all up except the part of locating where majority is and where the minority proponent is but i consign this post fully. Those who claim to be non igbos from ukwuani and Ika have absolutely nothing against igbo people and see them as brothers so there is no strife at all. Those that want to live their life as ukwuani, anioma, igbo or Ika are free to do so and it doesn't stop or affect the brotherhood that exist between them. No ukwuani man has ever told an aniocha man that he is not igbo, we respect their choice as long as they respect our own choice too, life is about live and let live. Well with this your all encompassing post, there is nothing much to say here and those who are still troubled by their ignorance can carry on with the campaign.

Why do you talk with both sides of your mouth, you keep rigmarolling, dude, if I may ask where are you from, are you an ukwuani man or an ika man? i do hope you have the confidence to answer that question. The second issue you raised and you are in the habit of this is the act of contradicting yourself, HOW CAN SOMEBODY THAT SAYS HE IS NOT IGBO CLAIMS BROTHERHOOD WITH IGBO. They are not brothers but they can be termed neighbors, and NEIGHBOUR IS DIFFERENT AS BROTHERS. No Igbo has told an ukwuani man to stop being ukwuani .... It is their right not a choice, so will no Igbo tells mbaise man to stop being mbaise, but if you individually and collectively come out publicly to denounce your igbo hood via your KING...mark my word YOUR KING. Then we igbos will treat you as a foe not a friend and as a Nigerian. but bear in mind that igwe bu ike. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY AM NOT IGBO BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK FOR OTHERS NOT EVEN YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS. WE HAVE IIKA,UKWUANI IN IGBO CULTURAL BODY, YOU CAN DECIDE TO LEAVE IGBO FAMILY, WE WILL NOT LOOSE SLEEP, AND HOW YOU CAN PROVE THAT IS BY LEAVING THIOS THREAD TO BENIN THREAD AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR ANNOUNCE YOUR SUPPORT SO THAT THEY CAN WELCOME YOU. MY IN LAWS ARE FROM UMUTU UKWUANI AND THEY ARE IGBOS AND SEE THEIRSELVES AS IGBO....PLS BOUNCE

WE DO NOT NEED JUDAS IN OUR MIDST PLS
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:20pm On Dec 11, 2013
Lucky Nwene 09.28.2010, 06:41am

I really commend your effort for @least making IKA known.Just as adile said,we the IKAS have more similarities with the igbos than the binis,starting from our names to our dialet.And your history within the IKAS gave a particular clan superiority over others.For me i know my origin,my great grand father made it known to us 1981 before he died @ a very old age.Not all IKAS are from bini.

http://www.ikaworld.com/index.php?mod=comment&article=207

it is disheartening that people still believe in burgeous tales of migration when the names of their founding fathers bear igbo name.those ikas who believe they are igbos should stand out and be proud of being igbo.you dont have a history in bini.period

Okere Chidiebere
it is disheartening that people still believe in burgeous tales of migration when the names of their founding fathers bear igbo name.those ikas who believe they are igbos should stand out and be proud of being igbo.you dont have a history in bini.period

Oriahi, Matthew Afamefune 03.26.2012, 09:08am

According to your articles, one Ika community was founded by Ibo immigrants from Nri. the other by Oba's sons from Benin and today they speak the same Igboid language.. The title of our kings is Obi, an Ibo word, and the word Ali, prefix to the Bini word Ezomo as in Alizomo, found in both Ika communities, is Ibo. Question is: At what point did the Ibo immigrants overwhelm the Bini founders and foisted their language on them? Also could the Ikas found in Benin towns like Owa & Iru not be captives of war?

kelechukwu 12.02.2012, 11:12pm

No matter how hard some people(anti igbo) try to disassociate ikas as igbos the truth is still there for all to see.Good a thing not all ikas think otherwise!...I have read a lot of write ups and interviews from Dr Kunirum Osia whos is from igbo speaking part of delta state and i am like,WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS MAN??..all you could deduce from his works and interviews are totally ANTI IGBO!..To what gainis this suppose to be a divide and rule game?Why cant we retain our igbo identity?Even with the Anioma State we all want,some people still want to make Anioma a new ethnic group.What is really wrong with us?I need answers.

ALL THESE IS FROM OFFICIAL IKA WEBSITE NOT ME THAT WROTE IT, PLEASE VERIFY IF I LIE BBUT AGBONTEA AND PHAROAH WILL LIE...LOOK AT WHAT THEIR BROTHERS ARE SAYING NOT TONYCHRISTOPHER

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 7:15pm On Dec 11, 2013
^^

Get a grip of yourself as we are done here and afam gave a very befitting statement to the issue so go find something else to do with your time.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:05pm On Dec 11, 2013
1. fallacy number one , ika believe they are igbos , but in 1967 , they declared they were not igbos and assisted in chasing biafra from ika land , is that not a shame on igbo propagandists.
2.. i make bold to say that over 95 percent of ika people have a benin surname , even if right now their names are okafor chika , if you go back to their grand fathers name it will be benin that is a fact that cannot be changed with igbo lies ,
examples , the father of the dein of agbor was ikenchuku gbenoba -that means ikenchukus father was named gbenoba , the present dein of agbor is benjamin ikenchuku kiagborekuzi gbenoba , and this grand father was aigbobu , so if you go way back , you will meet a benin name .
2. the present obi of igbodo is osedume , but his father was albert iyeke , and that is a benin name , their family name is iyeke,
3. the obi of akumazi is steven osagie , because his father was called osagie , that is their family name and its a benin name .
4. the obi of abavo is uche irenuma jegbefume , that is their family name and his grand father was ekhator jegbefume and that is a benin name
5. the obi of owa is called emmanuel efeizomor obaigbena , his immediate father was efeizomor and his grand father was obaigbena and obaigbenas father was okundaiye and okundaiyes father was igbeoba , whose father was ose whose father was orghogbua and all benin names ,

6. jim ovia
7. nduka irabor
8. nduka obaigbena
9. steve omojafor
10. nick aigbogun
11. joe orewa
13. prof. osabouohien ,
14. ogbemudia osaigbovou
15. anthony omordia
16. sunday usifor ,
17. vicotor eboigbe
18. chief okunbor
19. aimonagbone anthony
20 . nocolas okoh , orogodo

these are all ika prominent ikas with benin surnames .

so please igbo propagandists try and check your facts before you say it as i make bold to say again that if an ika man is named okafor okechukwu , if you go back to his grand father you will meet with a benin /ishan name .

3. ika people in their majority are not concerned with what igbos say infact that is their business , ika has ogua/onu ika and that is mouth piece for all ika nation and not any igbo group , infact majority of ika people are not part of ohaneze ndigbo or any igbo ethnic meetings and i dont know why the igbos want to die for what is not their business , ika is a seperate ethnic group and so shall it be amen , infact we are compilling our dictionary right now and by 2016 , ika language will be taught at college of education in agbor , so igbos can keep propagating their false hood about ika , and mind you igbo was formed by british , so those who like that union should keep it , ika people dont want to be part of that union and we have never been part of that union all we want to be is ika , not benin and not igbo , but plain ika.
4. if you know the similarities between ika and igbo tell me and i will also tell you hundred differences between ika and igbos .
5. yes igbos dont have kings but now all igbo villages are now kingdoms ruled by his royal majesty , you copied kingship from others so please acknowledge and if your former no king practice was better , why did all your villages and towns change to kingship ?
6. it is from igbodo and ekwuoma that you will see some people who claim to be igbos that is very ok for them , but their problem is that they are in small minority and they cant sway majority of ika people and that was why when ika people rose up from a meeting in 1967 they declared that ika is an ethnic group like igbos or yoruba and that ika is not part of igbo and that ended the problem .and up till date ika people resolved never to be part of any igbo ethnic organisation , that is why you can not see a bonafide ika man in ohaneze ndigbo.
7. to resolve the propagadist of igbo extraction who always say gibrish , for your information , it was the obi of owa , efeizomor emmanuel who really , along with other ika obi , like agbor , umunede, abavo and others who helped nigeria army to uproot igbos from ika land or have you not read where the obi said , biafra declared him wanted dead or alive ?
2. are you not aware that general muritala mohammed lived in owa during the civil war and formed a bond with owa people and was giving the title of ojeba of owa kingdom by obi efeizomor ?
3. owa is a heterogenous kingdom and all the people did not come from the same place , as they came from benin , ishan , ora, ndokwa, igbo and agbor and other places , however our tradition and oral history tells us that adagba came from ikoha in ovia in benin to found owa in ofien , and ugbasogun came from benin also to found owa-ekei , while benin/ishan founded owa- oyibu , and later people came from ute-okpu who migrated from partly nri in anambra and edo areas and later edogun/odogun became first obi of a unified owa kingdom.
however the intelligence reports of british in 1913 and 1927 stated that owa origin has dual influence of both edo and igbo origin .and these people that came from different places lived together and have formed the owa/ika ethnicity .
infact the founder of owa-alero town in owa kingdom was omi eborwise from agbor royal family and later others came and also ndokwa and ishans came too , and other ika people like from otolokpo and ute too .
4. any way we are about to celebrate a festival called igue which links us to edos ,

finally to igbo people who are either daft or some where in between ooooo,
ika is neither igbo or benin , we are ika

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:30pm On Dec 11, 2013
agbotaen: 1. fallacy number one , ika believe they are igbos , but in 1967 , they declared they were not igbos and assisted in chasing biafra from ika land , is that not a shame on igbo propagandists.
2.. i make bold to say that over 95 percent of ika people have a benin surname , even if right now their names are okafor chika , if you go back to their grand fathers name it will be benin that is a fact that cannot be changed with igbo lies ,
examples , the father of the dein of agbor was ikenchuku gbenoba -that means ikenchukus father was named gbenoba , the present dein of agbor is benjamin ikenchuku kiagborekuzi gbenoba , and this grand father was aigbobu , so if you go way back , you will meet a benin name .
2. the present obi of igbodo is osedume , but his father was albert iyeke , and that is a benin name , their family name is iyeke,
3. the obi of akumazi is steven osagie , because his father was called osagie , that is their family name and its a benin name .
4. the obi of abavo is uche irenuma jegbefume , that is their family name and his grand father was ekhator jegbefume and that is a benin name
5. the obi of owa is called emmanuel efeizomor obaigbena , his immediate father was efeizomor and his grand father was obaigbena and obaigbenas father was okundaiye and okundaiyes father was igbeoba , whose father was ose whose father was orghogbua and all benin names ,

6. jim ovia
7. nduka irabor
8. nduka obaigbena
9. steve omojafor
10. nick aigbogun
11. joe orewa
13. prof. osabouohien ,
14. ogbemudia osaigbovou
15. anthony omordia
16. sunday usifor ,
17. vicotor eboigbe
18. chief okunbor
19. aimonagbone anthony
20 . nocolas okoh , orogodo

these are all ika prominent ikas with benin surnames .

so please igbo propagandists try and check your facts before you say it as i make bold to say again that if an ika man is named okafor okechukwu , if you go back to his grand father you will meet with a benin /ishan name .

3. ika people in their majority are not concerned with what igbos say infact that is their business , ika has ogua/onu ika and that is mouth piece for all ika nation and not any igbo group , infact majority of ika people are not part of ohaneze ndigbo or any igbo ethnic meetings and i dont know why the igbos want to die for what is not their business , ika is a seperate ethnic group and so shall it be amen , infact we are compilling our dictionary right now and by 2016 , ika language will be taught at college of education in agbor , so igbos can keep propagating their false hood about ika , and mind you igbo was formed by british , so those who like that union should keep it , ika people dont want to be part of that union and we have never been part of that union all we want to be is ika , not benin and not igbo , but plain ika.
4. if you know the similarities between ika and igbo tell me and i will also tell you hundred differences between ika and igbos .
5. yes igbos dont have kings but now all igbo villages are now kingdoms ruled by his royal majesty , you copied kingship from others so please acknowledge and if your former no king practice was better , why did all your villages and towns change to kingship ?
6. it is from igbodo and ekwuoma that you will see some people who claim to be igbos that is very ok for them , but their problem is that they are in small minority and they cant sway majority of ika people and that was why when ika people rose up from a meeting in 1967 they declared that ika is an ethnic group like igbos or yoruba and that ika is not part of igbo and that ended the problem .and up till date ika people resolved never to be part of any igbo ethnic organisation , that is why you can not see a bonafide ika man in ohaneze ndigbo.
7. to resolve the propagadist of igbo extraction who always say gibrish , for your information , it was the obi of owa , efeizomor emmanuel who really , along with other ika obi , like agbor , umunede, abavo and others who helped nigeria army to uproot igbos from ika land or have you not read where the obi said , biafra declared him wanted dead or alive ?
2. are you not aware that general muritala mohammed lived in owa during the civil war and formed a bond with owa people and was giving the title of ojeba of owa kingdom by obi efeizomor ?
3. owa is a heterogenous kingdom and all the people did not come from the same place , as they came from benin , ishan , ora, ndokwa, igbo and agbor and other places , however our tradition and oral history tells us that adagba came from ikoha in ovia in benin to found owa in ofien , and ugbasogun came from benin also to found owa-ekei , while benin/ishan founded owa- oyibu , and later people came from ute-okpu who migrated from partly nri in anambra and edo areas and later edogun/odogun became first obi of a unified owa kingdom.
however the intelligence reports of british in 1913 and 1927 stated that owa origin has dual influence of both edo and igbo origin .and these people that came from different places lived together and have formed the owa/ika ethnicity .
infact the founder of owa-alero town in owa kingdom was omi eborwise from agbor royal family and later others came and also ndokwa and ishans came too , and other ika people like from otolokpo and ute too .
4. any way we are about to celebrate a festival called igue which links us to edos ,

finally to igbo people who are either daft or some where in between ooooo,
ika is neither igbo or benin , we are ika

lol
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:34pm On Dec 11, 2013
Pharoh: ^^

Get a grip of yourself as we are done here and afam gave a very befitting statement to the issue so go find something else to do with your time.

bro you don't have to be hysterical....its from ika website not me that wrote those stuff.this is to buttress what I have been telling agbontea et al....oh these igbos that have igbo names must have had Benin names before...that's what your brother agbontea said. it then means that they must be so confused that they jettisoned their surnames for igbo ones. look at how he is displaying his stupidity and identity mayhem....may lord help his soul

I am still laughing
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 1:28pm On Dec 12, 2013
The logic some people display here is really surprising. Just as we have hausas and fulanis migrants all over Igbo land who then decide to settle in, say, Imoland. Then in 100 years time, their descendants(grandchildren and great grand children probably) who have both Igbo and Hausa/Fulani names but speak only Igbo suddenly turn around and claim that because they have hausa/fulani ancestry(something peculiar only to them), therefore all Imo people are from hausa land.

The Ika-binis have made their point so have have the Ika-Igbos. This argument has been far outstretched.

Locking this thread.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 198
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.