Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior (35780 Views)

"Forsake Me Not, O Lord." / "Forsake Me Not, O Lord." / Stories Behind Great Hymns ....are You Washed In The Blood? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by Sam4ky(m): 5:48am On Jul 01, 2018
Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

Refrain

Savior, Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
Do not pass me by.

Let me at Thy throne of mercy
Find a sweet relief,
Kneeling there in deep contrition;
Help my unbelief.

Refrain

Trusting only in Thy merit,
Would I seek Thy face;
Heal my wounded, broken spirit,
Save me by Thy grace.

Refrain

Thou the Spring of all my comfort,
More than life to me,
Whom have I on earth beside Thee?
Whom in Heav’n but Thee?

Refrain

Story:

As earnest Christian pastor told of a young man about whom he had long felt much anxiety, as he had seemed so unconcerned about his soul, and was, in reality, a real cause of disturbance and interruption in classes for other young men. Meeting him one day, the loving pastor sought once more to influence him, urging, “We want you for Christ and his service.” There was a certain change in his manner which did not escape the eye of the prayerful watcher for souls, and—lacking time to do more—he seized the opportunity to secure the presence of his young friend at a Christian Endeavor meeting soon to be held.

True to his promise he was there. When an opportunity was given for some of the young men to choose a song, it was seen that he was urging his companion to select some particular hymn. The other, yielding to his request, asked if the hymn, “Pass me not, O gentle Saviour,” might be sung; and both young men joined in the singing with evident interest and heartiness.

Later in the evening it was requested that all who were definitely on the Lord’s side would confess their allegiance by standing.

Whereupon the one over whom the heart of the pastor was specially yearning rose at once, and with decision.
“Tell me about your conversion,” the thankful pastor requested at the close of the meeting, when hands were clasped in glad, brotherly welcome and recognition.

“Oh, yes,” assented the other. “It was all through that hymn we have just sung. I was working on the canal at G–, and there was a meeting being held at the Mariner’s Chapel, nearby. The words floated out over the water, and from the tug where I was working I could hear them plainly enough. When they were just going to sing those lines—‘While on others Thou are calling, Do not pass me by!’ a great fear came over me, and I thought, ‘Oh, if the Lord were to pass me by, how terrible it would be!’ Then and there, on the tug, I cried out, ‘O Lord, do not pass me by.’ And”—with a bright smile—“he didn’t pass me by. I am saved.’”

Bible Verses

Genesis 18:3 - Do not pass by Your servant.

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by bravehost4u(m): 6:21am On Jul 01, 2018
Wow I never knew
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by IdJack(m): 6:28am On Jul 01, 2018
Wow... I am inspired.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:05am On Jul 01, 2018
ONE OF THE GREATEST HYMN EVER WRITTEN

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by augustineokoro(m): 9:05am On Jul 01, 2018
Nice one
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by DEIFIED(m): 9:07am On Jul 01, 2018
I am not understanding this write up.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by chumaster(m): 9:07am On Jul 01, 2018
I so much love the hymn

though the write up is quite ambiguous

16 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by okomile(f): 9:10am On Jul 01, 2018
Inspiring song!

Hope the rain will make pple go to church to worship and give thanks to Him.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by emmabest2000(m): 9:11am On Jul 01, 2018
Hear my humble praise O’Lord Of Host

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by mekd: 9:11am On Jul 01, 2018
Pass me not jesus

5 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 01, 2018
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by Paperwhite(m): 9:15am On Jul 01, 2018
This inspirational song was penned down when there is true yearnings in the heart of believing Christians for real revival & not what is obtainable now with the modern my-pastor-says-prosperity-gospel preachers & workers of iniquity. undecided

15 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by J0sh007: 9:15am On Jul 01, 2018
Was thinking its a story of how the hymn came to be but rather its a story of how the hymn saved a soul after it was already existing.

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by Ade3000yrs(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2018
Leave story. Start ur own business today. Stop minding another mans business
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by PennywysCares(m): 9:17am On Jul 01, 2018
Of

2 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by SlayQueenSlayer(m): 9:17am On Jul 01, 2018
God bless us!
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by haryorbarmie83(m): 9:17am On Jul 01, 2018
Pass me not o gentle saviour.

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by s3tt1ngz003: 9:18am On Jul 01, 2018
DEIFIED:
Thanks for coming out to say this, you see most of those that comment didn't read talk less of understanding the write-up. I read it twice yet I can't understand either.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by perdollar(m): 9:21am On Jul 01, 2018
god bless u. I needed a song to inspire me in ds critical new month
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by oluwasegun007(m): 9:21am On Jul 01, 2018
Let your glory not PASS me by...

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by chieveboy(m): 9:22am On Jul 01, 2018
Nice smiley

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace" is a Christian hymn published in 1779, with words written by the English poet and Anglican clergyman John Newton (1725–1807).

4 August [O.S. 24 July] 1725[1] – 21 December 1807) was an English Anglican clergyman who served as a sailor in the Royal Navy for a period, and later as the captain of slave ships. He became ordained as an evangelical Anglican cleric, served Olney, Buckinghamshire for two decades, and also wrote hymns, known for "Amazing Grace" and "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken"

He grew up without any particular religious conviction, but his life's path was formed by a variety of twists and coincidences that were often put into motion by his recalcitrant insubordination. He was pressed (conscripted) into service in the Royal Navy, and after leaving the service, he became involved in the Atlantic slave trade.

John Newton was a bad guy

Newton often openly mocked the captain by creating obscene poems and songs about him that became so popular the crew began to join in.[9] He entered into disagreements with several colleagues that resulted in his being starved almost to death, imprisoned while at sea and chained like the slaves they carried, then outright enslaved and forced to work on a plantation in Sierra Leone near the Sherbro River. After several months he came to think of Sierra Leone as his home, but his father intervened after Newton sent him a letter describing his circumstances, and a ship found him by coincidence.[c] Newton claimed the only reason he left was because of Polly.[10]

While aboard the ship Greyhound, Newton gained notoriety for being one of the most profane men the captain had ever met. In a culture where sailors commonly used oaths and swore, Newton was admonished several times for not only using the worst words the captain had ever heard, but creating new ones to exceed the limits of verbal debauchery.[11] In March 1748, while the Greyhound was in the North Atlantic, a violent storm came upon the ship that was so rough it swept overboard a crew member who was standing where Newton had been moments before.[d] After hours of the crew emptying water from the ship and expecting to be capsized, Newton and another mate tied themselves to the ship's pump to keep from being washed overboard, working for several hours.[12] After proposing the measure to the captain, Newton had turned and said, "If this will not do, then Lord have mercy upon us!"[13][14] Newton rested briefly before returning to the deck to steer for the next eleven hours. During his time at the wheel he pondered his divine challenge.[12]

About two weeks later, the battered ship and starving crew landed in Lough Swilly, Ireland. For several weeks before the storm, Newton had been reading The Christian's Pattern, a summary of the 15th-century The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis. The memory of his own "Lord have mercy upon us!" uttered during a moment of desperation in the storm did not leave him; he began to ask if he was worthy of God's mercy or in any way redeemable as he had not only neglected his faith but directly opposed it, mocking others who showed theirs, deriding and denouncing God as a myth. He came to believe that God had sent him a profound message and had begun to work through him.[15]

Newton's conversion was not immediate, but he contacted Polly's family and announced his intentions to marry her. Her parents were hesitant as he was known to be unreliable and impetuous. They knew he was profane, but they allowed him to write to Polly, and he set to begin to submit to authority for her sake.[16] He sought a place on a slave ship bound for Africa, and Newton and his crewmates participated in most of the same activities he had written about before; the only immorality from which he was able to free himself was profanity. After a severe illness his resolve was renewed, yet he retained the same attitude towards slavery as was held by his contemporaries.[e] Newton continued in the slave trade through several voyages where he sailed up rivers in Africa – now as a captain – procured slaves being offered for sale in larger ports, and subsequently transported them to North America. In between voyages, he married Polly in 1750 and he found it more difficult to leave her at the beginning of each trip. After three shipping experiences in the slave trade, Newton was promised a position as ship's captain with cargo unrelated to slavery when, at the age of thirty, he collapsed and never sailed again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

Taking it Further ( (There is more to life)

For those of you who have graduated from living in only milk and can now chew bones. John Newton had died incarnated and died again. His present identity is Harold Klemp the spiritual leader of Eckankar. He adapted amazing grace by exchanging the word 'grace' (a few others) in the original song with 'HU' which is an age old word for God and also is the underground sound behind the whole of creation sung as a chant or Spiritual exercise (https://www​.eckankar.org/hu.html).

He teaches that the search for truth, happiness, success etc is actually a search for God which is impossible to get in just a single lifetime but millions infact. John Newton like each an everyone of us was being groomed for a chance to sit under the tutelage of and about the Holy Spirit also known as 'ECK' in ECKANKAR. This experience spells the end (sort of) of Soul's search for God and Soul is given a [b]direct[/b]shot at realising itself as a spark of God and also realising God ITself.

This may come as a surprise to Christians like "why Eckankar"? Basically like Christians use to say Christianity is not a religion... ECK means Holy Spirit and actually is what is not a religion, the rest are! God is further not a respecter of religion! You are only told your religion is the only way to God for the simple reason that it's 'leaders' and 'sustainers' must do so...which is fine and natural by the way.

God, happiness, truth is to big for any religion. Your religion is only sanctioned by God as a crutches till you can stand on your own in the real image and likeness of God that you are. Actually the story of Soul realizing itself and God is that it must stand 'naked' in its pure state devoid of the mind, religion, teacher, master and anything that Soul borrowed along the coarse of its journey to God.

May The Blessing Be!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by 2special(m): 9:22am On Jul 01, 2018
sure.. very difficult to understand the write up...

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by PennywysCares(m): 9:22am On Jul 01, 2018
OP you are such a scarly head and you know nothing about hymns please go back to sleep
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by Chukazu: 9:23am On Jul 01, 2018
Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
Do not pass me by.

Refrain

Savior, Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
Do not pass me by.

Let me at Thy throne of mercy
Find a sweet relief,
Kneeling there in deep contrition;
Help my unbelief.

Refrain

Trusting only in Thy merit,
Would I seek Thy face;
Heal my wounded, broken spirit,
Save me by Thy grace.

Refrain

Thou the Spring of all my comfort,
More than life to me,

Whom have I on earth beside Thee?
Whom in Heav’n but Thee?

That line only makes meaning to me in My Igbo

isi iyi nke nkasi obi, di ka ndu karia.
Onye ka nwere n'uwa ,n'igwe
Ma obu na ni gi onye nwe m

3 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by thatigboman: 9:23am On Jul 01, 2018
DEIFIED:
u are not alone

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by ybalogs(m): 9:23am On Jul 01, 2018
No matter what happened on the pitch in the first half, the second half can switch and that is what determines who wins. This second half of the year will be in your favour. God will condition everything to favour you and perfect all that concerns you. Welcome to July and the second half of 2018.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by timilehing(m): 9:25am On Jul 01, 2018
Nigeria needs this song right now

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by adontcare(f): 9:28am On Jul 01, 2018
s3tt1ngz003:

Thanks for coming out to say this, you see most of those that comment didn't read talk less of understanding the write-up. I read it twice yet I can't understand either.
me too. I was kinda confused
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by OsoDupe(f): 9:29am On Jul 01, 2018
s3tt1ngz003:

I read it to a point, I had to stop.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 01, 2018
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior by gracein: 9:36am On Jul 01, 2018
Quite boring. The one I found challenging is the story behind the hymn, "It is well" by Horatio Sparford.

And also the story behind the hymn, "I have decidedly follow Jesus".

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

'Free Nation In Christ Online Church' By Daddy Freeze #FreeTheSheeple / Ada Jesus' Mother Rejects Prophet Odumeje's N1 Million Gift To Ada Jesus (Video) / Pastor Adeboye: Don’t Cry For My Son, Dare, Keep Praying For Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.