Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,885 members, 7,798,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? (29782 Views)

"We Train Girls As Suicide Bombers"; Jealous Wife Snitches On Her Husband / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga / The Nigerian Political Class And Their Foreign Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Sauron1: 6:35pm On Jun 21, 2010
funkybaby:

@sauron.

It's unlimited. Any network. Any time.

I will find out. . . .
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 6:36pm On Jun 21, 2010
funkybaby:

@sauron.

It's unlimited. Any network. Any time.

that has to be lebara

but gimme 5 mins
ill get back to u on that
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Sauron1: 6:39pm On Jun 21, 2010
tkb417:

that has to be lebara

but gimme 5 mins

I don tell her say na Lebara. . . . . .

With Lebara, all things are possible.
50 million minutes is about 2 pounds. grin cheesy
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by funkybaby(f): 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2010
lmao.
It's not Lebara jo
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by netotse(m): 9:22pm On Jun 21, 2010
@tkb
glo introduced unlimited calls to other glolines sometime last year, but they had to suspend it because their network couldn't carry the traffic it caused, that's the major prob with such things in naija, if glo network is jammed, it's not only glo subscribers it affects. . .

p.s. i think it was about NGN10 everyday or something sha. . .it lasted for a week or something funny
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by bemster(f): 11:43pm On Jun 21, 2010
tkb417:

that has to be lebara

but gimme 5 mins

Ahhhh the good old urban 'myth'!
Actually, its not really a myth - T-mobile did offer this deal a few years back when they were trying to capture market share. Then they added all the constraints that Sauron pointed out, later reduced the minutes to 3000 and eventually phased out the deal. I am pretty sure they dont have this deal anymore, those that are still on it have been on it for ages but you will not get it on a new contract.

It actually explains why a lot of students and Nigerians are on T-mobile in the UK. Back then it was regarded as cheap/value for money. But read between the lines and you will realise you are spending way more than if you were on o2 or orange (not Vodafone though cos thats just way too expensive!) and if you want BB/Iphone, you gast be on o2 or orange really!
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by asas(f): 12:58am On Jun 22, 2010
used to fink tmobile was a wacked network back den dint like it thou cuz every one i knew was was on tmobile , i so love o2 network so much even their pay and go dey dont do 5pound topup though, on my orange bb i pay 45 monthly for 900mins and unlimited messages but still go over d minutes and pay more so annoyin, lebara also cool u can topup like 20 and get 10 free but i guess dey av another promotion,
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Ladyrsky46: 10:38pm On Dec 06, 2010
alamsdee:

32% income tax, in nigeria

mate, this is a public forum, no dey lie like small pikin.

help the poor man next door who is not sure of what he will eat the next day, i see so much suffering in the eyes of my people back in nigeria, if u and i and everyone can contribute to help the poor and less priviledged in the nigerian society, things will get better, u guys brag that u visit uk twice or 1oo'xs a year, let us ask ourselves how many british people visit nigeria in their life time? sorry i said grow up previously, it's just i feel so ashamed of myself when the few priviledged in the country go about bragging about their wealth rather than ponder on how to build the nigerian economy, it is not only the nigerian government that is tasked with the responsibility of managing our economy, the responsibility also includes u and i, nigerians that live overseas contribute to the growth of our economy with the £1 and $1 they send home to their families in nigeria,  let us appreciate ourselves and not come on this forum to beef each other. just always ask urself when u cruise around town in nigeria, "what have i done to help this poor faces around me, do this people watch me in admiration cos i have a luxury jeep, or am i oppressing them to the point of envy", think of what u can do for nigeria and not what nigeria will do for u.
That's what baffles me so much about the rich in Nigeria. Willing to live amongst mind numbing poverty and carrying on as if it's none of their business, carrying on and happy that they're above some people who'll be willing to lick the ground they walk on and call them "Sah" for just about enough money to buy them a loaf of agege bread. sad
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by cheikh: 1:21am On Dec 07, 2010
Intellectual laziness and selfishness is so pervasive amongst some visiting Nigerians to the UK that they can't see beyond the 'shopping' let alone empathise with their invariably 'poorer', 'jealous' host - friend, relative etc. Why do you not visit Benin RP or perhaps Egypt you may learn something new or gain some insight about life without relatives or friends where your bills will remind you to be a little introspective/reflective before assuming that your relatives or friends are 'jealous' of your uncouth behaviour. Travel without 'baggage' and you'll definitely benefit immensely. Leave so-called 'jealous' friends and relatives out of your hang-ups. There are many ways of visiting/holidaying without being uncivil and socially blind which unfortunately most Nigerians like you fall into that category. No wonder Nigerians never learn/appreciate the simple but pleasant things in life we encounter during their so-called travels out of the country. Ignorance is bad but deliberate ignorance like the poster have demonstrated is sad and wicked indeed. I hope Uk residents will see the humour and vindictiveness in his view of them as 'jealous' of this 'big' man visiting from Nigeria yet squatting whenever he can snatch the opportunity. wink grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by cheikh: 1:41am On Dec 07, 2010
I don't think that Nigerians properly resident in the UK will ever be envious let alone 'jealous' of their visiting counterparts from Nigeria knowing fully well the vagaries of life in Nigeria as most Nigerians know it today! - ;DI wonder which life in Nigeria is he being boastful of in comparison to his 'jealous' and 'poorer' friends/relatives, I dey laff, grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by soliq55(m): 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2018
Guess so. Many naija dudes in the UK are semi-broke hustlers that barely try to stay afloat. A lot also don't have valid papers and cannot get decent jobs. The ones with valid papers do not have jobs that pay that well and so are unable to come back to Naija often to 'show off'. The ones without papers can't even come back because they may never be able to get visas to return. In either case, many of them are stuck in a rot, so to speak. When they now see 'lucky' folks who dart in and out of UK 'shere shere' to distract their work they can't help but feel resentful. . .especially if you're financially much better off than they are. They either avoid you to save their pride so that you wouldn't witness their skint condition first hand, or they shamelessly 'tax' you all over the place. But then the few that are quite successful and rich over there are in another class altogether: you would do all the envying when you meet those. Different strokes, I suppose.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 01, 2018
Sauron1:

Life ain't easy ANYWHERE. . . .
To live a life of luxury, you must pay for it. . . . .
There's nothing to even suggest you fare better than your friends over here. . . . .What they lack in their pockets, they have in the quality of life.
Whereas, men like you have traded the quality of life(no light, no water, pollution, mosquitoes and security) for cash in your pockets.

Gbam. This is the summary of the whole thing!
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Horus(m): 8:23pm On Jul 02, 2019
KGNAIRA:
The only thing I have to say is to encourage my brothers/sisters in diaspora to return home as soon as it is comfortable for them to do so. There are definately better prospects and more opportunities here.
Those abroad labour too hard for too little. I did my postgraduate studies in the UK and know exactly what I am talking about.

I encouraged one of my friend to come back to Nigeria after staying six years and completing two master programme. He is enternally grateful for this today.

My message is: Take the bull by the horn and come back home. In the short term, things might be rough (though not neccesarily) but in the long term you will be much better for it.

Take my advice

I agree with you

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Buhari, End Fuel Scarcity Within 48 Hours Or You Resign - NANS / Aisha Buhari Lavishes Injured Soldiers At The Hospital In Borno With Xmas Gifts / Twitter Reveals Why It Suspended Influencers' Accounts Ahead Of Nigeria Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.