Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,761 members, 7,806,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada (37738 Views)

How Has The Ban On Keke And Okada In Lagos Affected You? / Opay, Max.ng May Go As Lagos Decides On Okada, Tricycle Operation / Lagos Taskforce Clampdown On Okada Riders At Ikorodu, Arrest Riders - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Bluffly: 9:55am On Jul 02, 2018
BianoJay:
Now that over 7000 okada riders have lost their jobs and life has become tougher for people who do not own cars, I guess the Anambra state government is happy.

It is only people who do not know Onitsha very well that will be happy with this. Onitsha road network isn't as straightforward as other cities like most people think. There are places that only bikes can take you to and in the absence of bikes, you will have to walk the distance, no two ways about it.

What makes life tougher for people who does not have cars. Nigerians should learn to do some walking. In developed countries, they walk. you can find people walking a kilometre. Everybody go dey form big man, big madam

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by majamajic(m): 9:55am On Jul 02, 2018
JatAbolaji:
The disadvantages weighs much... In terms of job opportunity

u are Still backward, go to Enugu and see how peaceful the city is after okada ban. u are here talking about job. as if okada people can't change to Keke or bus driving or take their okada to a new location. Okada do more harm than good, go to orthopedic hospitals and see people there even Onitsha local thieves also use it as escape means. besides if u have appointment by 10am u leave earlier and take Keke or bus. With okada, people always use African time thereby putting okada man under pressure to speed and manoeuvre.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by BianoJay(m): 9:56am On Jul 02, 2018
mavinc4u:
they can ban them from major roads and not permanently because they are areas that it would be better to enter bike to.

That Governor should better respect his age now. Imagine after buying something from main market and looking very tired, i will now enter keke that won't drop me in front of my house and if i decide to enter charter for keke, he will give me a ridiculous charge as if he would make them in one trip. grin

Nonsense, i told them to vote this man out but they didn't listen, now see the result. cry

That's my point exactly, banning okada from the major roads should have been the decision, not banning them entirely, even from operating within streets.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by BianoJay(m): 9:57am On Jul 02, 2018
Bluffly:

What makes life tougher for people who does not have cars. Nigerians should learn to do some walking. In developed countries, they walk. you can find people walking a kilometre. Everybody go dey form big man, big madam

Really? And you think every distance is healthy for people to trek? That's the problem with Nigeria, we lack empathy. Just because we aren't affected by a situation, it is almost always impossible for us to put ourselves in the shoes of others.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by skinpain(m): 10:03am On Jul 02, 2018
Dave880:
Every state wan be like enugu state.

042 isyl not just a number, it's a way of life.

We lead others follow.
Keep quiet bro dnt bo soo tribalistic just tell me one major infrastruture in Enugu no be only 1920 flyovers

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Bluffly: 10:05am On Jul 02, 2018
BianoJay:

Really? And you think every distance is healthy for people to trek? That's the problem with Nigeria, we lack empathy. Just because we aren't affected by a situation, it is almost always impossible for us to put ourselves in the shoes of others.
Have I told you to walk 10km. Unfortunately, our governments made things worst by not paying adequate attention to the development of streets and neighbourhoods. If streets are well developed, there could be neighbourhood mini buses simply to convey from the neighbourhood to main roads.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 02, 2018
BianoJay:
Now that over 7000 okada riders have lost their jobs and life has become tougher for people who do not own cars, I guess the Anambra state government is happy.

It is only people who do not know Onitsha very well that will be happy with this. Onitsha road network isn't as straightforward as other cities like most people think. There are places that only bikes can take you to and in the absence of bikes, you will have to walk the distance, no two ways about it.
How did u conclude on your figure?
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Ttipsy(f): 10:07am On Jul 02, 2018
ok
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Lonestar124: 10:08am On Jul 02, 2018
bugidon:
Bro the thing tire me, do you know that this ban is effective in awada, obosi, nkpor,nkwelle,idemili and other minor towns around osha plus awka and environs o, the thing is not well planned at all
Misplaced priority I see....and it will shift the economy of the state.

The government should equitably deployed maximum tycycles in substitution and compensation to those motorbike riders in order to balance the transportation system before this time...my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by ceedan: 10:08am On Jul 02, 2018
majamajic:

u are Still backward, go to Enugu and see how peaceful the city is after okada ban. u are here talking about job. as if okada people can't change to Keke or bus driving or take their okada to a new location. Okada do more harm than good, go to orthopedic hospitals and see people there even Onitsha local thieves also use it as escape means. besides if u have appointment by 10am u leave earlier and take Keke or bus. With okada, people always use African time thereby putting okada man under pressure to speed and manoeuvre.

Enugu has a better road network unlike Onitsha where most of the street road are bad to the extent that no keke or shutle can pass through them. A place like Awada,owerre aja,okpoko etc can only be accessed with bike.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 02, 2018
OK but for now am not with Obiano on this.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by julitoch: 10:14am On Jul 02, 2018
BianoJay:

Don't worry, will time they will get use to it, is only someone that have not been robbed by okada men in onitsha that will not commend what Obiano has done, i was once a victim of okada robbery at Nkpor old road , it wasn't funny at all, i have been praying for this to happen in onitsha for a long while, thank God it has happened. I was in Abuja when they stopped bike, we thought we couldn't cope, in fact i ran to Lagos, the stress of traffic was too much, i have to port myself back to Abuja again, but today we are all enjoying the serenity that decision has brought in Abuja, so just chill, is just matter of weeks or months you will get use to it.

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by omojesu202(m): 10:16am On Jul 02, 2018
bugidon:
Obiano bring back okada biko angry We are not used to this cry

sorry ooo.... u will get used to it. in Owerri they ban bike n even ban Keke self n everything is fine

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Obdk: 10:17am On Jul 02, 2018
rahl12:
Please nairalanders,
I need a job. I am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering. I am a serving Corp member in kwara state, will be passing out at first week of July 2018. Please I need your help as I am willing to work in any film within or outside the state.
Please help a brother. I have experienced in operations and maintenance various of machines, with a required knowledge of AutoCAD design.

PLEASE HELP BROTHER HERE.

HERE IS MY EMAIL: abraham20john20@gmail.com

Go and open mechanic shop. U can start with vulcaniser
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by omojesu202(m): 10:18am On Jul 02, 2018
Dave880:
Every state wan be like enugu state.
042 isyl not just a number, it's a way of life.
We lead others follow.
pikin wey never travel go talk say na him papa farm big pass.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Dav08175857915(m): 10:20am On Jul 02, 2018
Enugu does not have any better road networks than Onitsha. I am right now in Enugu, Stop spreading lies. Onitsha has good network of roads. Even in Abuja not all the roads are tarred already. Above all Anambra has the best road networks I have seen anywhere in the SE.

ceedan:

Enugu has a better road network unlike Onitsha where most of the street road are bad to the extent that no keke or shutle can pass through them. A place like Awada,owerre aja,okpoko etc can only be accessed with bike.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by vioment: 10:22am On Jul 02, 2018
Your windshield dirty no be here, including spit scuffs on the upper right area. Na wa o.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by YOUNGKAHUNA: 10:22am On Jul 02, 2018
bugidon:
Obiano bring back okada biko angry We are not used to this cry
you'll get used to it

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by samwash(m): 10:24am On Jul 02, 2018
Abeg I nid the Oyo state government to ban the use of okada in Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by soliddust2020: 10:27am On Jul 02, 2018
showafrica:

I tell you but it's far better. It became a problem for Rochas in Owerri and he banned Keke, now taxi is now the new nuisance. I still prefer Keke to all, since we are yet to do rails.

I dont like keke either, just too reckless. Same set of mad people migrating from bike to keke, from keke to cab. Most commercial drivers need their heads checked and also for alcohol or drug abuse.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by ayobarmy(m): 10:32am On Jul 02, 2018
BianoJay:

I honestly share ur opinion concerning Onitsha roads and people losing their jobs, but the fact still remains that, banning Okada in Onitsha is still the best option, because over sixty percent of the crimes in Onitsha, are being commited with the aid of Okada.......

If you leave around Oguta rd and Inland town, you will understand better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by ojialo(m): 10:32am On Jul 02, 2018
investnow2013:
The noise level have gone down this morning alone by 30%!
honestly I now know Okada contributes 50% of the noise in my area.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Tarzan360(m): 10:32am On Jul 02, 2018
Good step in right direction, many criminals and cultists escape easily with bikes

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by BianoJay(m): 10:35am On Jul 02, 2018
ayobarmy:

I honestly share ur opinion concerning Onitsha roads and people losing their jobs, but the fact still remains that, banning Okada in Onitsha is still the best option, because over sixty percent of the crimes in Onitsha, are being commited with the aid of Okada.......

If you leave around Oguta rd and Inland town, you will understand better.

I live at Awka Road and I know first-hand, the activities of these criminals, nonetheless, the government should have come out with a cushioning strategy, both for the okada riders who'd lose their jobs and for people who would have to trek because of the absence of bikes.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Alexdon200089: 10:46am On Jul 02, 2018
BianoJay:

I have been robbed more times than you.
Haven't you been robbed in a Keke before? It happens everyday in onitsha.

If you like be robbed a billion times, ain't here to drag who got more robbed with bike or keke...what obiano is doing is right for the state, and mind you, if you want to ride okada, you can move down to NNewi

No victory without Sacrifices

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by patrickcollins: 10:52am On Jul 02, 2018
Dav08175857915:
Chiebonam David Onah the inferior wawa man from the backward Enugu state. Most of these okada men are from your state particularly Nsukka. You should be thinking about how your useless gov would accommodate them back to your state instead of being silly.

[s][/s]
U are a mad man, for generalising the issue.There is nothing spectacular about ur Anambra.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by ayobarmy(m): 10:55am On Jul 02, 2018
BianoJay:

I live at Awka Road and I know first-hand, the activities of these criminals, nonetheless, the government should have come out with a cushioning strategy, both for the okada riders who'd lose their jobs and for people who would have to trek because of the absence of bikes.

One thing I understand with this government policy is, it will definitely affect some people, but as time goes on, we all will adjust and be better off... As for the Job loss, I heard the Government is giving out Shuttle buses to them in Awka?

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by Dav08175857915(m): 10:57am On Jul 02, 2018
I am even from Enugu state, Nsukka to be precise, so why are you crying? cool

patrickcollins:
U are a mad man, for generalising the issue.There is nothing spectacular about ur Anambra.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by BianoJay(m): 10:58am On Jul 02, 2018
ayobarmy:

One thing I understand with this government policy is, it will definitely affect some people, but as time goes on, we all will adjust and be better off... As for the Job loss, I heard the Government is giving out Shuttle buses to them in Awka?

He is giving out Shuttle buses but, less than a thousand of it for now.
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by BianoJay(m): 11:01am On Jul 02, 2018
Alexdon200089:

If you like be robbed a billion times, ain't here to drag who got more robbed with bike or keke...what obiano is doing is right for the state, and mind you, if you want to ride okada, you can move down to NNewi

No victory without Sacrifices

More like when you don't have an argument.

The ban on okada won't be the end of armed robbery!
Re: Onitsha Regaining Its Lost Beauty After The Ban On Okada by investnow2013: 11:21am On Jul 02, 2018
Commendations Trail Ban Of Okada In Onitsha
02 JULY 2018

WRITTEN BY EMENGINI OSADEBE
Onitsha the commercial nerve centre of the State, yesterday witnessed the absence of commercial motorcyclists following the State government’s ban on their operations, which had commenced in earnest.

A visit to major streets in the area including Oguta road, Awka road as well as the D.M.G.S round about, witnessed only vehicular and human traffic.

Speaking to the ABS a passer-by, Mr Austin Igbokwe, noted that the ban will not only restore sanity, but help in decongesting the city.

On his part, a trader Mr James Nwugo, described the ban as a right step in a positive direction.

Meanwhile, some well meaning citizens who spoke to our correspondent Emengini Osadebe commended the State government for taking such a bold step saying that the ban will help reduce accidents on the highways, as well as help check crime and criminalities across the State.

Chief Umeano and Mrs. Eunice Okafor, while commending Governor Willie Obiano for taking the bold step encouraged commercial motorcyclists to key into the State government’s palliative for them to enhance their living standards.

Contributing, Mr Emmanuel Obi who expressed joy at the level of sanity recorded on the roads due to absence of commercial motorcyclists, said it will help the people develop the zeal of trekking to their various destinations which he noted is part of exercise which will make them keep fit.

Mr. Monday Okafor said the ban will help in maintaining good environment and improve the corporate image of the State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Presidential Team Visits Injured NAF Pilot After Plane Crash In Abuja. Photos / Revealed: Top 10 Lagos 419 Tricks You Should Never Fall For / Passengers Travelling To Zaria Involved In Accident, Many Dead (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.