Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs (53137 Views)

Olu Of Warri Dissolves Council Of Chiefs / The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs / Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Nkwazemakennyj(m): 3:54pm On Jul 02, 2018

Was passing through where this monument was erected and i kept on wondering the significant of this statue, i got to work and decided what they really stand for and here is what i got.

DO you remember the statue of the three Lagos white cap chiefs?

Originally, the statue was placed opposite Ojodu Berger bus stop at the point of entry to Lagos from the Ibadan end of the expressway by the administration of Colonel Raji Rasaki in 1991. Even at inception controversy trailed their positioning as many were against it for whatever reason. Some complained that the white cap chiefs were not welcoming in their posture especially when the inscription under them said; ‘This is Lagos, the state of aquatic splendour.’

There was also a fabrication that the incessant accidents that used to occur at the point were as a result of spiritual attachment to the monument. Statue After a while, precisely in 2004, the statues were burnt down at night by some unknown characters.

Not daunted, the state government re-fabricated the spectacular work of art but looked for a new home for the ‘elders’ opposite the Michael Otedola Estate. Through some coincidence or by design incessant accident cases shifted to the area of their new location.

Again, the enemies of the elders were looking for an opportunity to destroy them. The chance actually presented itself during the fuel subsidy protests when the statues were again burnt down. 75 per cent damage Lagos State Government speaking to Vanguard about the latest damage to the three wise-man statues popularly called ‘Ere Meta’ put the extent of damage inflicted on the statue by anti-fuel subsidy removal protesters, at 75 percent which government said caused the delay in their return. Speaking in an interview, Director of the Lagos State Council of Arts and Culture, Mr. Adesina Elegbede, added that the protesters who mistaken the effigies to be a Federal Government property, attacked it burning it beyond recognition.

According to Elegbede, “It took the state government months to get the sculpture to site because we were unable to get the contractor, Dr. Bodun Shodeinde who designed it in 1991. And when we got him, we had to wait for him to evaluate the extent of damage, the cost and the duration of repair.”

It would be recalled that the sculpture was erect during the administration of Colonel Raji Rasaki. It was first rehabilitated on December 17th, 2004. Although he did not disclose the cost of the rehabilitation, but said that it took the state government time to allocate the fund for the rehabilitation of the statue; the reason was that the fund was not captured in the 2012 budget.

Speaking further, Shodeinde said that due to the extent of the burns, the work took more days than expected, adding “53 days was earlier scheduled for the full repairs but it took three and half months before we could fix it.”

He said that attack on the statue was arson. And the portions affected by the fire were reduced to ashes. The Sculptor however, faulted the present location of the sculpture saying “the present location of the 21 feet by 14 feet sculpture placed on a 7 feet pedestal, has affected the purpose of the statue.” Shodeinde explained that the sculpture was designed to depict the state cultural heritage which distinguishes it from other states, and to usher in visitors and tourist into the state.

He however said that the purpose has been defeated with the present relocation of the effigies. On the best location, Shodeinde said, “The best location would have been across that road at the entry point to Lagos on the Lagos-Ibadan Express road.”

It would be recalled that the sculpture was removed from the express road after it was first damaged and rehabilitated on December 17th, 2004. According to him, “it can be constructed on a purposeful built pedestrian bridge that would serve dual functions of beautification and pedestrian crossing.”

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/lagos-three-elders-back-under-close-watch/

1 Share

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by YourNemesis: 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2018
There was also a fabrication that the incessant accidents that used to occur at the point were as a result of spiritual attachment to the monument. Statue After a while, precisely in 2004, the statues were burnt down at night by some unknown characters.

I was jejely waiting for the spiritual angle that religious nut heads would attach to the presence of the statues, and I didn't have to read for long before seeing it.
I wonder what will save Nigerians and black people from the strong grips of religion and spirituality.
The same people will run to London and Paris in a blink to go and snap selfies with statues dedicated to European deities.

90 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by HAminat(f): 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2018
Awesome heritage.... Make money with your whatsapp contacts. Check my signature.
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by tolexy007(m): 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2018
grin
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2018
Lagos Trademark.

For the people that haven't been to Nigeria or Lagos prior now, these statue is what you will see at the main entrance point of coming into Lagos, 'The state of aquatic splendour.’...

But that is for those that are not coming through the airport tho.

LASGIDI, the place to be.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2018
dalhjana:
what ever ..2nd to comment!

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Slimmybeaurry(f): 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2018
Eyah

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by koxi: 4:49pm On Jul 02, 2018
Na waoo
Do we really have to attach spiritual meanings to everything?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 02, 2018
Raji Rasaki wud burn in hell for his maroko exploits

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by numen(m): 4:49pm On Jul 02, 2018
YourNemesis:

I was jejely waiting for the spiritual angle that religious nut heads would attach to the presence of the statues, and I didn't have to read for long before seeing it.
I wonder what will save Nigerians and black people from the strong grips of religion and spirituality.

It's OK not to be religious and there are always different perspective to events/issues.

Spirituality/Religion are part and parcel of this world. You can't will it away.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by dalhjana: 4:49pm On Jul 02, 2018
what ever ..2nd to comment!
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Samiceman: 4:49pm On Jul 02, 2018
koxi:
Na waoo
If the statue of liberty were in Nigeria, it would have been credited with a lot of bad things. Nigerians are just unbelievably spiritual

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by wellmax(m): 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2018
Common that is
Tinubu
Fashola and
Ambode

grin grin grin

15 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by freemanbubble: 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2018
alright
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Benblaq(m): 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2018
Government wasting tax money on irrelevances.

3 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Wikinaija(m): 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2018
http//wepublicisenaija.com/140431/ex-super-eagles-player-wilson-oruma-finally-speaks-on-loss-of-n2-billion-to-fraudsters.html
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by flex04(m): 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2018
Statues wey dey lag sef tire me

Five Must-See Statues In Lagos

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2018
wellmax:
Common that is
Tinubu
Fashola and
Ambode

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by oyetunder(m): 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2018
koxi:
Na waoo
Fear...timidity...and ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by wellmax(m): 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2018
BAT
BRF
AMBO

grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2018
yeyerolling:
Raji Rasaki wud burn in hell for his maroko exploits

U dey vex gan
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by wellmax(m): 4:54pm On Jul 02, 2018
[quote author=Vision2045 post=69021046][/quote]

Expired drugs grin grin grin
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Firefire(m): 4:54pm On Jul 02, 2018
Tinubu source of power to permanently retain control of Lagos.

Guys be careful.

3 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by hisexcellency34: 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2018
who statue epp?

5 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by YorubaAssasin: 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2018
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by spaggyy(m): 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2018
I love seeing them when I was younger

I do call them agbagba meta....

It signifies that u have to be wise in lasgidi

5 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by abbeyty(m): 4:57pm On Jul 02, 2018
Awon agbagba meta
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by Awaja(m): 5:01pm On Jul 02, 2018
Am a red cap chief .
Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by koxi: 5:02pm On Jul 02, 2018
Samiceman:
If the statue of liberty were in Nigeria, it would have been credited with a lot of bad things. Nigerians are just unbelievably spiritual

I totally agree with you on this... grin

2 Likes

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by IME1: 5:03pm On Jul 02, 2018
smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs by maxtop(m): 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2018
According to the famous Fuji musician, they denotes:
O gbodo rindin
O gbodo suegbe
O gbodo ya mugun

14 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Visit to Nigeria Local aluminium Pot Making Factory /see how they make it -photo / Igwe Godwin Madu Buys Mercedes-benz G-wagen 2018 (Photos) / Hausa Proverb/\karin Magana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.