Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,156 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:18 AM

Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? (7033 Views)

Swan It Recruitment Job For A Technical Project Manager (OSS/BSS) / 2013/2014 Ptdf Oss And Lss Test List Is Out / Ptdf Oss 2012 List Of Successful Candidates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by MurphyG1(m): 6:38pm On Jun 08, 2010
I am one of the successful candidates for the PTDF OSS yet to go for M sc. And FIRS sent me a mail to come and pick up my appointment letter next week.
Right now I’m confused as I don’t know which one to go for.
I was given Officer II, tax at FIRS. I read Electrical Eng, finished with a 2-1 and got admission to study M sc in Electronic and Electrical Eng’g at a school in UK which PTDF is already processing.
I don’t know what to do considering the fact that FIRS is an FG job and the security. And PTDF, having an opportunity to study free oversea and the prospects when I come back.
PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO!
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by Focusmind: 7:20pm On Jun 08, 2010
Congrats - try and see if you could defer the PTDF offer and consolidate your position with FIRS. In most cases, PTDF do defer admission for scholars if they present genuine case.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by nnemak(m): 9:21am On Jun 09, 2010
Man,
You better start preparing your self to go for your free master’s o, If ur studies would commence jan , then collect ur letter from FIRS if u are not working o, else forget FIRS and face PTDF seriously,

Best of ALL,

1 Like

Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by tabolaji: 9:50am On Jun 09, 2010
Congratulations on your double blessings. Provided u are no working presently, accept the FIRS offer first before takng into consideration any decisions. even if u will go for ur MSC. cos that would be in september which you can still defer till january so that you can put things in order at FIRS. You might be lucky to find favour in FIRS for you to go and still retain your appointment when u comes back (its possible- trust me!).
You should remember that there are economic recessions and i know hundreds of PTDF scholars thats come back to struggle for entry llevel.
The ball is in your court, Play it wisely.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by Irewo: 10:12am On Jun 09, 2010
Ogbeni,

Please I beg you in the name of Jesus Christ, go for your master for now. I assure you after your studies, u will get a better work than FIRS. But try and study hard to come out with good grade.

Congrat.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by Superbrain(m): 10:32am On Jun 09, 2010
Masters oh!!! Just make sure you perform well in your studies and shine your eyes while in the UK. You will be better positioned for a job with a masters degree from the UK than with one year experience at FIRS. So, wetin you dey wait for? Waka!!!
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by dustydee: 3:49pm On Jun 09, 2010
Hi, I was in a similar situation last year, although I had been working for a few years(an oil company-FG).My company refused to grant me study leave and I really wanted to go cos i wasn't getting job satisfaction. I left PH to Abuja to process my papers at PTDF and resign my appointment only to meet with one of my managers who advised me to defer and that he'll make sure I am released this year, since I can defer my admission. I defered. Fastforward to 2010 Now PTDF said that all of us that defered have lost our scholarship.I will not go into the details.Since January we are still battling with PTDF. Just last week, I was told by my company that they did not grant my request for study leave.,,,This left me thinking that if i had gone at least I will be thinking of rounding up now.But my consolation is that I know od is in control cos I prayed about it.Pleease if you believe in God,pray about it and follow your conviction, listen to people but dont let them decide for you, use your head.wish you the best.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by MurphyG1(m): 5:02pm On Jun 09, 2010
Thanks very much for your advise. I've been praying to God to guide me on what to do. Thanx guys.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by AeroDept: 5:54pm On Jun 09, 2010
Areo Contractors Airlines Werri Delta State seek to employ professional in Airlines/Aviation Engineers from around the world, therefore if you believe you posses such qualification, do forward to us your current resume/CV to (hr.aerorecruitmentdept@gmail.com)for screening

NOTE:
All positions are Vacant,

Aircraft Engineering
Air Hostess
Food and Beverage Manager
House keeper
Chef
Chief Administrative Officer
Assist Admin.
Project Management
Computer Engineering
Electrical/Electronics, Software
Network Engineering
Web Designer
Financial Analyst
District Manager.
Computer Technician,
Product Manager
Customer Relations Manager

Yours faithfully,

Mr.Charles Onyeukwu
Human Resources Manager
+2347067100608
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 10, 2010
Who has an idea of what the pay structure is like in FIRS? As in per annum figure.

@ Poster: I believe this might help you make a more informed decision. I personally have seen the relevance of masters wane over the last few years. There is nothing like a job in hand. I can give you the phone numbers of a large number of PTDF scholars who are wishing they had held onto their jobs or at least obtained study leave. I think you should defer it. Even if you lose the PTDF, you can always pay for the masters yourself, do an online one or even do it in Nigeria here.

P.S: there is nothing so terrible as going to do masters with no job experience and no 'extra' money,
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by tabolaji: 10:35am On Jun 10, 2010
please tell him, you better dont allow some fresh graduate that has not tasted the harship of unemployment misguide you, a word is enough for the wise, !!
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by rexel99: 5:01pm On Jun 10, 2010
Murphy G, if i were u i would go for the master's. It is an opportunity u should grab. Granted that Overseas masters these days is not a sure guarantee that you would get a job wen u come back but do undastand that we hav a long life to live and u are just starting it now. If the master does not giv u an automatic job within the first few months you would definitely get a good one, and bear in mind that it gives u an edge over others.
Dont let the fact that u hav an offer wit FIRS get into U. bros, u go still tire for the work one day.
I think the problem wit most of us Nigerians, is that we are always scared of taking that risk, and we always tend to look at today and the immediate future. We hardly project.
You can take the FIRS offer for now till September wen u want to leave, then you can resign your appoinment.
The bottomline is no one can decide for u. u can only decide wat is best 4 urself.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by randy(m): 5:55pm On Jun 10, 2010
i really think you should hold on to the job, if you know the number of PTDF OSS graduates that are in the market will surprise you, of course going to have UK master is certainly good, it is FG sponsored and you are not promised a job or guaranteed one, as someone rightly said, you can always pay for it, and you said it there is job security and very soon salaries will be reviewed and this is naija, you will have alot of time to do other stuffs of your interests, you have been in the market experience should tell you that, imagine if you can pay for it yourself comfortably while still working. May God bless your decision
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by Superbrain(m): 6:18pm On Jun 10, 2010
I still stick to my previous advise. For those advocating for retaining the job and paying for his masters later, do you know the cost equivalent? Tuition cannot be less than £10,000 with monthly living expenses around £600. That amounts to over £17,000 in a year. Do the conversion. Should be through away an opportunity worth over 3.5 million naira because of the fear of job insecurity after the masters? Do you know how much he will have to save and for how long before he can boast of that amount. Let's be wise here.
@ poster, life is all about packaging and risk taking. Package yourself. Go for the masters, don't defer! Those who did so last year lost their scholarship. Look out for opportunities during your study and network. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. If it was a Mobil or Chevron job, I will understand. But FIRS? How much do they even pay sef?
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by scoro99(m): 10:11pm On Jun 10, 2010
Guy guy, sharp up! shocked

wetin be FIRS? embarassed

I Worked with one of the "shaky shaky Banks", I earned 250k monthly and though I applied for this past PTDF Scholarship,

I did not take it seriously cos I was more concerned about my job and "sure salary", but alas! PTDF i no pass, still lost the Bank job.

so, pally, look up!

Grab the "FREE M.Sc" first!!! grin grin cheesy

All d best.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by rexel99: 8:45am On Jun 11, 2010
@randy, guy u knw hw much master 4 UK cost. Tuition fees is from 9000 pounds upwards even though some skools give like 1000pounds bursary. besides the program he is goin 4 is Elect/elect eng which is on the high side since it is Laboratory based.
Its wouldnt be easy doing a job like that of FIRS and expect him to save for masters.
I work in a bank and hav been wit dem for abt 1 year 6 months and i used to earn about 220k monthly but that was reviewed downwards to 174k recently and i know how difficult it is to save for a masters program in US or UK cos am actually saving for it now with the hope of starting my masters program in september by God's grace.
@poster, Guy take the masters offer now, things must still shape up for life . Who knows you might get an offer from a multinational even b4 u graduate.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by Shokwen: 9:14am On Jun 11, 2010
Guy, how u go dey compare the two? FREE MASTERS IN YOUR PROFESSIONAL LINE against being a tax officer at FIRS? Didn't u say u had a 2-1 in Elect-Elect? What are u thinking?
I'm sure u've never worked b4 otherwise u won't have posted this. Money is good but it ain't everything. Can I take ur slot if u decide to stay at FIRS? OK Let's even make it monetary. U'll need aroung N5 million to successfully prosecute a UK masters- tuition,accommodation, feeding. Imagine someone giving u d cash. Can u save 5 million in a year at FIRS? Unless u join them in st--l-ng. Plus professional satisfaction. Guy don't be shortsighted. Thank God for your opportunity and start packing your bags b4 I flog u for writing this post. Don't be afraid for your future. ALL THINGS WORK OUT WELL FOR THOSE WHO LOVE GOD! CHEERS!
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by rexel99: 9:23am On Jun 11, 2010
@shokwen, bros u don slam the nail for the coffin. no need to talk again
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by Irewo: 11:54am On Jun 11, 2010
Murphy G,

This is my second comments on your issue, go for your master and do away with FIRS for now. You studied Elect Eng. with 2.1 and you want to become Tax Officer, na wo o. I can assure you, after your master with your good grade in first degree, u will get a good and better job than FIRS. Let me tell you, I am a consultant and I deal with FIRS on daily basis, you will soon tire of the bureaucratic in which their offices is being operated like every govt work if you take up their job instead of your master.

Thank you.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by tjaya: 9:52pm On Jun 20, 2010
Murphy, pull your ears and go for your master's. FIRS officer cadre will earn you a salary of 1.6m p.a. i.e roughly 130k before tax. Is it worth throwing that scholarship away for? They are not even ready to call you to resume yet. It will take months. I received their letter too but I am looking for alternative options because the salary is poorer than what I currently make. Get your master's and defer the FIRS appointment. Pick up the letter but fill in a distant date in the column for resumption date. May God help you.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by benzine: 6:39pm On Jun 21, 2010
Dear Poster,
I recently finished my PTDF Masters in Leeds and have stayed without a job for the past 6 month or so. I regretted so much for resigning from my job in an oil servicing firm in nigeria. Worse still, i couldn't get a reference from them because I snubbed their proposal for me to spend an extra year before leaving.
Now I got a professional offer in the UK (to start in August), have applied and may get something very lucrative in Nigeria, soon. The UK offer is much better than what I left but the Nigerian offer would be the bomb if it comes true.
U know yourself better. I can't advise u, but bear in mind that Overseas Master is Overseas Masters. The oil and gas sector in Nigeria did not employ last year cos of the niger delta unrest and PIB, but things will soon be picking up. IT IS WORTH IT!!!!
On the other hand if u finish that Masters in the UK without a job (even small toilet washing jobs are now scarce) believe me u will sleep and pray that u die in your sleep or pray that Jesus arrives with his triumphant angels for the armageddon, cos it is hell.
I cant advise, I'm only telling my experience.
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by nairamaniac: 4:26pm On Mar 25, 2016
MurphyG1:
I am one of the successful candidates for the PTDF OSS yet to go for M sc. And FIRS sent me a mail to come and pick up my appointment letter next week.
Right now I’m confused as I don’t know which one to go for.
I was given Officer II, tax at FIRS. I read Electrical Eng, finished with a 2-1 and got admission to study M sc in Electronic and Electrical Eng’g at a school in UK which PTDF is already processing.
I don’t know what to do considering the fact that FIRS is an FG job and the security. And PTDF, having an opportunity to study free oversea and the prospects when I come back.
PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO!
I know ur post was several years ago. hope you are still on Nairaland. I also studied electrical engineering. please what option did you finally settle for?
WD appreciate ur reply.
thanx!
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by goodgirl2409: 7:33pm On May 01, 2016
This is a front page material abegooo
Re: Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? by nurez305(m): 10:53pm On May 01, 2016
goodgirl2409:
This is a front page material abegooo
veryfunny.....did you look at the date at all, this person will have forgotten that he ever ask this kind of question on nairaland, only if the person is still with the any of these company....you are there looking for frontpage material grin grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Arizona Inc./aklinks Nig Limited Interview / Massive Recruitment At Geometric Power Nigeria Limited / These People Are Having A Much Worse Day Than You(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.