Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation (19511 Views)

Amend Constitution, Reform Judiciary, INEC — Nigerians / Aliyu: Why Nigeria Must Amend Constitution To Deal With Political Prostitution / Lawal Yahaya-Gumau: We Will Amend Constitution To Allow Buhari Be Life President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by WisdomFlakes: 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2018
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, on Tuesday revealed that the Senate has started the process of amending the Constitution to allow for the creation of state and community Police.

Saraki made the revelation via his verified Twitter handle, while details were provided on the Medium page of the Senate President.

He said, “Today, my colleagues and I in the eighth Senate resolved to begin the process of amending the Constitution to allow for the creation of State and Community Police. This is following our debate on solutions to the killings across the country.”

The Senate also mandated that the Police Reform Bill be passed within the next two weeks.

This was following a debate on the killings across the nation and in Plateau State, following a Point of Order raised by Senator Jonah Jang.

“We have talked about the fact that whether these killings were initial acts of aggression or reprisal attacks, it is clear that either way, it is totally unacceptable and we must condemn it in all totality.

“Secondly, these are acts of criminality and we should not encourage any other colouration to it, be it religious or otherwise. This is criminality. And as such, we have a role to ensure that we must address this criminality to see how we can fight it.

“We have spoken on many platforms and made suggestions to the Executive on the fact that there is a need for an urgent review of the security architecture of the nation.

“We as the Senate must come up with our own actions. We do not need to flog the issue. We have told the Executive what to do. We have told them privately and we have told them publicly. However, on our own part, we must decide on what we need to do.

http://punchng.com/senate-to-amend-constitution-to-allow-for-state-community-police/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by hisgrace090: 7:27pm On Jul 03, 2018
No number of security is too much. Nigeria need state police but some don't need it so that their headers can kill without challenge.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Amarabae(f): 7:28pm On Jul 03, 2018
I pity rivers state if this law comes into place

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Blue3k(m): 7:30pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good decentralised police is for the best. The senate should also move prisons out of exclusive list naturally. Having a police force that doesn't run it own prison would be silly and the federal prisons are already crowded.

The amendment should be short and simple. Allow for the establishment states police forces for all tires of government. The state and local governments can come up with rules on how these police forces are organized and function.

11 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 03, 2018
The best news that has ever come out of Nigeria since 1960.
Gradually power will leave the centre and go back to the people.

With state police comes it's advantages and disadvantages but it will spiral to lots of amendment in federal and state constitutions while new ones will be created.

We are going to resource control era in no distance time if this works.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by despi64(m): 7:35pm On Jul 03, 2018
Will that old man assent to it? This review go take months if not years to arrive at a conclusion

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by magoo10(m): 7:43pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good one something just have to be done to curtail the killings ,the center which controls the security architecture seems intentionally handicapped to nip the security lapses in the bud with the transmission IGp who is partisan and ass licking the executive.

8 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by perfectedmee: 7:43pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good move.

I hope the Senate does not derail on this.

But referring these herdsmen as Criminal beats my imagination.

What were they trying to steal From dre victims?

Dey re terrorist period.

Call a spade a spade.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by DeBrain045(m): 7:58pm On Jul 03, 2018
federal police hmm state police oh community police ha it remain village police hahaha grin
Anyway criminals must not go unpunished the government should also remember that bringing up the community police as a government means paying more workers than before therefore increasing the country's expenditures and also increasing more means of fraud

2 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by GavelSlam: 7:59pm On Jul 03, 2018
Ok.

Let's watch how it is used in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by seunmsg(m): 8:00pm On Jul 03, 2018
This is the second best news from this 8th senate. The first was the passage of federal audit bill and then this. If they can pull this through, history will be kind to them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by BabaRamota1980: 8:08pm On Jul 03, 2018
He said, “Today, my colleagues and I in the eighth Senate resolved to begin the process of amending the Constitution to allow for the creation of State and Community Police. This is following our debate on solutions to the killings across the country.”

The Senate also mandated that the Police Reform Bill be passed within the next two weeks.

This was following a debate on the killings across the nation and in Plateau State, following a Point of Order raised by Senator Jonah Jang.

Bullshyyte!!
If IGP had not come uncomfortably close to throwing him in prison Saraki and his colleagues would have never thought about this change, even if the whole Plateau population were depleted by fulani atrocity.

If the hardship ordinary civitizens would visit the homesteads of these rascals, regularly, they would get sense and do the right thing to better society.

Glad they got to it anyway but they should not expect applaud. It is done for self preservation.

Awon were!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by weyreypey: 8:10pm On Jul 03, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Bullshyyte!!
If IGP had not come uncomfortably close to throwing him in prison Saraki and his colleagues would have never thought about this change, even if the whole Plateau population were depleted by fulani atrocity.

If the hardship ordinary civitizens would visit the homesteads of these rascals, regularly, they would get sense and do the right thing to better society.

Glad they got to it anyway but they should not expect applaud. It is done for self preservation.

Awon were!
Thank God for the errant IGP

7 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by mustmust(m): 8:13pm On Jul 03, 2018
When will they begin impeachment proceedings. Pls don't quote me or ask against who please.

Tank

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by weyreypey: 8:22pm On Jul 03, 2018
worksmart:
So Rogue governors like Gov Wicked of Rivers state will now control their police as well?

Am I the only one seeing this as a plot for corrupt governors to use police machinery to influence elections in 2019?

What of states owing workers salaries? How can they be trusted to adequately fund the police?
Herdsman your time is up!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:27pm On Jul 03, 2018
Amarabae:
I pity rivers state if this law comes into place
How?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Gr8tasign: 8:29pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good

Fulani reign of terror must be stopped.

I hope it won't be a ground to reach compromise between the legislative and executive towards 2019 elections?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Paperwhite(m): 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2018
LGA financial autonomy bill have been signed.Yeah decentralized the police.Restructuring is gradually taking shape.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Gr8tasign: 8:31pm On Jul 03, 2018
worksmart:
So Rogue governors like Gov Wicked of Rivers state will now control their police as well?

Am I the only one seeing this as a plot for corrupt governors to use police machinery to influence elections in 2019?

What of states owing workers salaries? How can they be trusted to adequately fund the police?
This Fulani herdsman should shut it up

Ur days are numbered

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by LibertyRep: 8:33pm On Jul 03, 2018
The much coveted restructuring will come someday, this is a step forward.

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by modik(m): 8:36pm On Jul 03, 2018
Bravo
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by maxiuc(m): 8:51pm On Jul 03, 2018
cheesy
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by 9inches(m): 8:51pm On Jul 03, 2018
Great news for my state Anambra! It's long overdue and should be done fast please.

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Seylad2009(m): 8:52pm On Jul 03, 2018
grin
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by adioolayi(m): 8:53pm On Jul 03, 2018
Better.... I just hope the power drunk Governors won't be using them for their own selfish interest.
The only way they won't do state governors biddings is if they have financial autonomy like the Judiciary

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by YenYo: 8:54pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good move.
A situation whereby a Fulani man his stationed in Benue to police a locality where his tribesmen are killing will be partial.
Now the locals can police there locality against vagabond's

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by chloride6: 8:55pm On Jul 03, 2018
if you believe this i have a bridge to sell you grin grin grin
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by lilfreezy: 8:56pm On Jul 03, 2018
This is good news. However, I can't imagine someone like Okorocha handling a state police. Someone that owes workers salaries will now be owing police salaries yet, arm them with guns undecided

6 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by asdfjklhaha(f): 8:56pm On Jul 03, 2018
Hmm state police. When most states can't even pay their civil servants they want to add police to the work load. My only problem is if the states can pay the at when due. If not, we will have a much bigger problem because they might r use the arms given to them to start robbing the people they are supposed to protect. undecided

4 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:58pm On Jul 03, 2018
GOOD WAY to go....

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari: I Was Detained For 3years For Fighting Corruption / No Certificate Of Return To Candidates Declared Winner Under Duress. - INEC / My Honourable Friends Run As Kidnappers Strike On Kaduna-Abuja Expressway - Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.