Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Your VPN Is Not As Safe As You Think, AND You Should Be Concerned. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Your VPN Is Not As Safe As You Think, AND You Should Be Concerned. (767 Views)

2years Nord VPN Available For Sale At 1k / FREE Browsing On Pc For All Networks Via Shelter Vpn / How To Set Up Built-in VPN With Free Servers On Android, Iphone And Desktop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Your VPN Is Not As Safe As You Think, AND You Should Be Concerned. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 03, 2018
Have you ever wondered how those site administrators or some bot got to know you were using a region-locked website, even while been on vpn uninterruptedly?
Yes, I know you've been told to not use vpn but to only use vps (virtual private server). Another line of suggestion is to always monitor your vpn to be certain there is no break in connection. However, the truth is that the problem is not with your vpn and using vps is basically setting up a vpn on your rented server space (if your host allows that).
The problem actually lies with your browsers and apps. There are two major privacy flaws that have been discovered in the common browsers and apps we use. I don't want to bore anyone with the technical terms here, so I'll just go straight to the point. One is called DNS leak and the other has to do with Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC).
Sometimes, a browser can just ignore the fact that it has to route web traffic through an active vpn and send the request straight to the ISP. The ISP makes a DNS query for the client and gbam! You are exposed on logging into your account with or trying use the web service in any form. This is not in anyway related to blacklisted IPs. That's another issue which I'll write about in the coming days. I'll write about WebRTC too later.
Fortunately, there are ways to protect yourself against both of these. If you want to know how, send me an email @ lucianordell@gmail.com or call/whatsapp 09075925533 OR check my profile to DM me on twitter.
PS: I'm not doing this for monetary gain. Please be rest assured i won't ask for money.

(1) (Reply)

Ipad 6 32gb For Sale / Nothing / How To Force Close A Non Responding Program In Windows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.