Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites (1034 Views)

How MC Oluomo Made It Possible For Me To Get Multiple Degrees - Nigerian Lady! / 12 Viruses In Your Cv / Get A Job With The Right Cv - Allow Me Rewrite Your Cv To Meet That Job Standard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by nathanjohn2808: 6:41pm On Jul 07, 2018
After posting about how I lost jobs at final interviews, several people who got excited by the fact that my CV was top notched and got me several invites, kept sending emails and commenting to teach or help them create a winning C.V. Since I'm also hustling and can't help each of them individually, I have decided to make this post to hint them on how to write a C.V that will get you invites.

Preliminary:
Before thinking of getting an invite with your CV, you must have undergone school and graduated well (Most organisation request for minimum of 2:2 or at times 2:1. If you have a 2:2 and so many 2:1s applied then your chances are slim)
Secondly, you must have added value to yourself through certifications (thousands of people have 2:1s and first class, the way to set yourself apart is to show your willingness to improve yourself with certifications. I have more than 3)
Thirdly, achievements is a big deal, you have to show you are a leader and a winner with your achievements (add at least two, if you dont have then go and achieve something)

C.V proper:
After you must have had all these, the next is how you present them in your CV

1) Your fonts: a couple of people sent me their CVs to edit and their fonts was not just it. Use Arial, calibri or times new romans and your font size should be 12.

2) highlight your headings: your CV looks plain, the person reading it dont know where you started talking about your work experience or where you wrote your personal data.

3) Make it short and precise: dont make a five paged CV, nobody would read it. Make it short and put precise details not unnecessary trash. At most 2 pages for graduates and 4 for people with years of experience.

4) Have a new CV for every job: try always to cut your experiences to suit the firm you are applying to. You cant be applying customer care and put welding as job experience.

5) Send to organisations that Match your qualification and that you meet the criteria: they said 2:1 and you have 2:2 and you applied expecting miracle to happen, it wont. Or they said engineers and you read accounting and applied. Bros why?

I hope this helps.
This is what i applied and have multiple invites, sometimes i leave one interview for another because i can have as much as three interviews in a day.
See you at the top.
Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by moshwise(m): 7:27pm On Jul 07, 2018
Good one from you. See you at the top
Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by iamjames2222: 10:41pm On Jul 07, 2018
OP thank you. I was happy to see this post cuz I had in mind to contact you. please where do you get the job adverts where in you make most of your applications?
I usually search job sites but I hardly see jobs adverts that suits me. kindly help a brother
Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by okwabayi(m): 7:58am On Jul 08, 2018
It's mostly common sense. The only part I don't subscribe to is cutting experience to meet jobs although it's logically correct. A lot of jobs ask for ten years of experience. If I don't add my twelve year welding hobby how I wan get the job?

2 Likes

Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by Asam2(m): 2:48pm On Aug 18, 2018
iamjames2222:
OP thank you. I was happy to see this post cuz I had in mind to contact you. please where do you get the job adverts where in you make most of your applications?
I usually search job sites but I hardly see jobs adverts that suits me. kindly help a brother

Same here please
Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by DeutschJunge: 4:38pm On Aug 18, 2018
This is a good insight, however i think this are general things people already know. Most people that ask for your CV are interested in details, like what course did you study, your final grade, what sort of certification you did, how you improved yourself. Then they can model theirs properly..

The question I have though is how did you apply for these jobs? Were they speculative applications or actual applications through job adverts? If it was adverts, can you kindly share the websites..

Btw you sound like a very smart dude, congratulations on the new job.. wish you the best
Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by nathanjohn2808: 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2018
DeutschJunge:
This is a good insight, however i think this are general things people already know. Most people that ask for your CV are interested in details, like what course did you study, your final grade, what sort of certification you did, how you improved yourself. Then they can model theirs properly..

The question I have though is how did you apply for these jobs? Were they speculative applications or actual applications through job adverts? If it was adverts, can you kindly share the websites..

Btw you sound like a very smart dude, congratulations on the new job.. wish you the best
Okay.
Studied engineering (which I believe is not a criteria for your work cos I now work in the financial market, capital market to be precise)
Graduated with an Upper
Certification: NIM, PMP, HRM, HSE(loading)
Have some of my works published on newspapers, and magazines and ezines
Involved in several competitions with big institutions like Unilever
Presented my project at seminars
Have volunteered for UNICEF and other organizations
Leadership experiences
All these are included in my CV
Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by Lesnar: 5:40am On Aug 21, 2018
nathanjohn2808:

Okay.
Studied engineering (which I believe is not a criteria for your work cos I now work in the financial market, capital market to be precise)
Graduated with an Upper
Certification: NIM, PMP, HRM, HSE(loading)
Have some of my works published on newspapers, and magazines and ezines
Involved in several competitions with big institutions like Unilever
Presented my project at seminars
Have volunteered for UNICEF and other organizations
Leadership experiences
All these are included in my CV

I am currently an undergraduate at one of the federal university, pls I really would like to know how you were able to get those certification (NIM, PMP, HRM), how you got involved in competitions, presented project at seminars, volunteered for UNICEF and how you gained leadership experiences.

I have been trying to do some of this things but don't know where to start from.
Re: How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites by nathanjohn2808: 11:12pm On Aug 21, 2018
Lesnar:

I am currently an undergraduate at one of the federal university, pls I really would like to know how you were able to get those certification (NIM, PMP, HRM), how you got involved in competitions, presented project at seminars, volunteered for UNICEF and how you gained leadership experiences.

I have been trying to do some of this things but don't know where to start from.
First of all, put your ears on the ground, there is always one or two things going on that can change your life. Currently Unilever is organising idea trophy for undergraduates. Have you heard?
One opportunity exposes you to others. Just value information and keep sourcing and filtering.
Expand your creativity and your willingness to learn and unlearn.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Best ICAN Tutorial Centre In Abuja / URGENT: Electrical/electronic Engineering Trainee At Blackpoint Nigeria Company / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.