Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' (6021 Views)

My Mother Is Trying To Turn Me Against My Father. / Woman Sets Home On Fire Trying To Kill Spider With Lighter / My Grandfather was a sadistic murderer; would have shot me! - Jennifer Teege (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 11:35pm On Jun 17, 2010
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 12:01am On Jun 18, 2010
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 12:06am On Jun 18, 2010
wow this is interesting
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 18, 2010
Very interesting indeed! This would have made my dad happy were he to to be alive today. He was a lover of history. Dr. Dre, I salute sir!

BTW, is there any documented evidence to support these expo? Would love to have access to it. It would be nice to have all these documented and in safe keeping. Once again, nice work. Cheers!
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 2:56pm On Jun 18, 2010
@ Kiki
Sorry about Ur dad. As regards evidence to back these details up, let me put this way. I've them in form of books, pictures and a few old newspaper cut-outs. I've also learnt recently of a website. Let me add also that I got some through word-of-mouth stories from my parents, uncles & aunties. As regards getting them, I'm sure we can work something out over time.

Regards.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by agabaI23(m): 3:22pm On Jun 18, 2010
DR
why did you neglect my request? angry
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Weminet(f): 3:44pm On Nov 18, 2010
am a coker descendant tooo, have you found your grandfather yet?
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 11:21am On Jun 02, 2012
*dusts thread*
@ Kiki & Wemi
Just found this thread again & thought I should update U. We were able to do a good trace and a book was produced to mark the 80th edition of the meeting. It's quite comprehensive.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 02, 2012
Outstrip: The only Cokers I know are actually in the States now but I actually found out that their parents were actually born in Sierra Leone so they cannot be the same Coker family. If it is a possibility then I can ask for you. They have yoruba names too but many Sierra Leonans answer yoruba names
its the same family, some families like the cokers have their roots from sierra leone but they have come to naturalize here in nigeria, while they have some relatives back in SL
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by tpia5: 4:05pm On Jun 02, 2012
most of the cokers were returnees from brazil i should think.

i guess some are from sierra leone?

not sure if the original ones came over from sierra leone- i always thought (or was told) they came from brazil. Besides, they look brazilian.

and like someone pointed out- yes, they're many.

hope the scammers and nefarious persons arent gobbling up the info.

many of them (ie the coker ancestors) came home to nigeria, and actually they knew their hometowns but most relocated to lagos.

this may have been the ajayi crowther era- i'm not sure. There were a lot of returnees back then after the brits started raiding the slave ships.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by tpia5: 4:10pm On Jun 02, 2012
Dr. Dre:
*dusts thread*
@ Kiki & Wemi
Just found this thread again & thought I should update U. We were able to do a good trace and a book was produced to mark the 80th edition of the meeting. It's quite comprehensive.

any info on the book that you can post here?
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by rickiross(m): 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2012
I know a Coker who's a lawyer, and is related to Akintola Williams (1st cht Accountant of Nigeria)..
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 02, 2012
@tpia, like my family moved to nigeria bout 100 years back, calculating by my Grand dad's age.I may have made a mistake but at least I'm sure my fam came from Sierra Leone. I know some families came from SL , some others from Brazil. And they are scattered round Nigeria, that's why we have to be careful b4 u go and marry ur cousin!
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by tpia5: 6:11pm On Jun 02, 2012
I know some families came from SL , some others from Brazil

i think the ones i know came from brazil though i'm not sure. But I'm not familiar with the sierra leone link for cokers.

steph7: And they are scattered round Nigeria

very true.

sometimes you can tell by the look but maybe not always.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by tpia5: 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2012
hmm, i dont know sha.

here's a link which names a coker who was born in abeokuta in 1866:

http://www.dacb.org/stories/nigeria/coker_jacobk.html

it does mention freetown however.

since the name sounds english, i guess there might be a sierra leone origin? The Akus?
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by tpia5: 10:42pm On Jun 02, 2012
this link says fela's great grandmother was enslaved, freed and taken to sierra leone.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZyMyspsywPsC&pg=PA23&dq=coker,+nigeria&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MoXKT6uwIeGI6QGN_4z_Dw&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=coker%2C%20nigeria&f=false

her second husband was named coker and she and her family later returned to abeokuta (where she was born), via badagry.

One of her sons by coker, helped fela's mum (his half-cousin) go to england to study.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 3:27pm On Jun 10, 2012
@tpia
I'm sure the book covers pretty much any question U might have. The family didn't originate from SL but they've settled there for over hundred years. The Coker family has a big family house in Freetown amongst other properties around the country. Same thing in some other African nations. Some of them don't even know their main root is from Nigeria. Even within Nigeria, Cokers claim more than 1 state of origin and they have deep roots in those states dating back to 100 years (or more) in those places.
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Dyt(f): 9:31am On Jun 11, 2012
hmmmmm
quite interestin
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by JulesB(f): 2:06pm On Jun 12, 2012
Looks like a Viral Loop has been created here!

Been a while since I revisited my post/this thread and up till now I can't believe the interest created. There are some fantastic people on 'NL' and this is just a quick post to say ''I've really appreciated all responses - thanks to all of you who took the time to respond''

There is a long story to tell and I hope to create the time to tell you all soon.

Jules
Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by Chiaka(f): 11:46am On Oct 03, 2014
All Coker from Africa descent is from this man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Coker
The ones in Nigeria whose grand dads and great grand dad migrated from Sierra Leone to Nigeria (Most married Nigerian women)
most of them have lost their roots and quite a number of them are ignorant of this fact.
What happened is that the children born to the Cokers who migrated from sierra leone (Saro) took to where ever it is in Nigeria their mum is from, hence we have Cokers in Ogun State, Lagos, Rivers, Cross Rivers etc.
I am lucky in that my grand Dad (A coker) migrated not that long and married to a Nigeria woman hence we still have history and family tie to our sierra leonian extended family even though we are born in Nigeria and married to Nigerians. We are now full Nigerian laying hold to come from the states where our mothers are from.

Best of Luck my relative

1 Like

Re: 'Can You Help Please? Trying To Trace My Grandfather, Ola Coker' by DrDre1(m): 5:12pm On Oct 11, 2014
Chiaka:
All Coker from Africa descent is from this man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Coker
The ones in Nigeria whose grand dads and great grand dad migrated from Sierra Leone to Nigeria (Most married Nigerian women)
most of them have lost their roots and quite a number of them are ignorant of this fact.
What happened is that the children born to the Cokers who migrated from sierra leone (Saro) took to where ever it is in Nigeria their mum is from, hence we have Cokers in Ogun State, Lagos, Rivers, Cross Rivers etc.
I am lucky in that my grand Dad (A coker) migrated not that long and married to a Nigeria woman hence we still have history and family tie to our sierra leonian extended family even though we are born in Nigeria and married to Nigerians. We are now full Nigerian laying hold to come from the states where our mothers are from.

Best of Luck my relative
Your post is very revealing. I doubt if the link u posted was there when this thread started else we would have found. If I didn't, the OP would have. Nice to meet a Coker from the SL side. Some pictures of the family house and some members were published in the family book few years ago. One of them, a Doctor, was elected as the President of the medical association in West Africa around that time I think. We are also well estabilshed in Gambia. I was shocked when I met a Coker with a yoruba name back in Uni who said she's from Gambia. It was quite an experience. Thanks for wishing the OP luck. She was quite lucky at the end.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage / Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? / Part-time Sales Vacancy At Owerri, Imo State Nigeria (family-friendly Business).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.