Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low (4512 Views)

Help! My Car Jecks And Vibrates When AC Is On.. / What Odometer Reading Is The Longest For A Car / My Car Vibrates When Engine Is Idling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by gabrieli(m): 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2010
Experts,
Please, kindly enlighten me on what could be wrong with my 99 model camry. I observed that the car`s engine vibrates whenever the tachometer reading is around 700rpm (when the car is in idle mainly during traffick), at idle state, i think it should not be below 1000rpm.
Because of this problem, if i drive in the night i normally experience flat battery the next morning when i want to start the car (maybe because the low reading is causing improper battery charging by the alternator). I dont use the A/c while in traffick because the extra load on the engine brings the tachometer reading down more which may eventually trip off the car.
It was not like this before, PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE, advise me b4 i go the mechanic.

best regards

Happy southie 2010

Cheers
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by KunleA2(m): 1:34pm On Jun 11, 2010
First of all, i think the rpm tacho for that car should be around 900-1100 rpm. Anything higher is too high. For the vibration, i am seriously thinking that your alternator is going out. The engine is trying to survive on a very small voltage juice coming from the battery especially at night that all lights and accessory are on.

Check that your alternator is charging well. Then set your tacho idle to no more than 1000 rpm.

My money is definitely on the alternator.

Good luck.
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by Onwan: 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2010
@OP

Kunle-A has the point with the Alternator (especially with your battery situation).

You should have the Spark plugs and wires checked. You should also have them check you fuel pressure (your fuel pump might be trying to say something). IF all these are checked OK, then you are probably in the sensor (Oxygen, idle, MAF, etc) country.
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by gabrieli(m): 6:14pm On Jun 11, 2010
@Kunle-A, Onwan,
Thanks very much guys, i really appreciate your swift response, i will go through the options you have provided and get back to the house.
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by onais(m): 10:22am On Jun 15, 2010
I quite agreed with Kunle-A and Onwan. I advise u to start with the alternator and battery first.
Then if theĀ  problem remains, that means there is cylinder mis-firing. Have the spark plug and ignition cable
check, if not solve , get fuel nozzles service or if bad replace. I once have my camry 2001 vibrating with the help
of diagnostic tool it was discovered that some cylinder were mis-firing.
To avoid guess work have your engine check with diagnostic tool, it is cost effective.
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by sultaan(m): 8:24pm On Jun 15, 2010
Normal tach reading at idle is btw 600-700rpm(800max).So you are good there.
A usual culprit here is a loose connection on battery, or ground

If your check engine light is on get the codes first before touching anything .
You may look at your vaccum hoses first to see if you have a leak anywhere and clean the throttle body
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by zoogy2007: 9:43pm On Jun 15, 2010
What kind of engine does your camry have? If its an I4, then check that the engine 'sitting', has not gone bad. The Job of the engine sitting is to absorb some of the vibration which comes with an idling engine. Its usually located on top of the engine and below. The one on top looks like a figure 8 piece of metal with rubber fittings inside. Check that the rubber part has not sheared from the metallic part. Ask your mechanic to check the others which are located below the engine. I believe this will help you in solving your problem. Good luck
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by Onwan: 10:29pm On Jun 15, 2010
zoogy2007:

What kind of engine does your camry have? If its an I4, then check that the engine 'sitting', has not gone bad. The Job of the engine sitting is to absorb some of the vibration which comes with an idling engine. Its usually located on top of the engine and below. The one on top looks like a figure 8 piece of metal with rubber fittings inside. Check that the rubber part has not sheared from the metallic part. Ask your mechanic to check the others which are located below the engine. I believe this will help you in solving your problem. Good luck

Well said. Thats another very key check point.
Re: Engine Vibrates When Tachometer Reading Is Low by ESEL: 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2010
FOR YOUR MOBILE DIAGNOSTICS SERVICE ON YOUR CARS, CALL 08035496482 or 08055673680. We will Diagnose your Car and get back your Car in good shape anywhere (Mobile Service).

Never Neglect Lights such as; CHECK ENGINE, ABS, SRS AIRBAG, MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, TRAC ON and the rest.

We are trained for all these. (Why leave your office when we can bring our service to your doorstep?)

(1) (Reply)

Electric Or Manual Carburetor / Pls How Much Would Replace A Deployed Airbag On Honda Accord Babyboy!!! / 2006-2010 ML 350 OR 2008-2010 MDX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.