Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,451 members, 7,801,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. (14474 Views)

Plsss Help Me I'm Having A Big Problem With My New Redmi Note 9S Details Inside / 6 Valid Tips To Secure Your Social Media Account / 7 Signs Your Social Media Account Has Been Hacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by TechCapon(m): 2:44pm On Jul 13, 2018
TechCapon

I stumbled on this parody Twitter account of President Obasanjo’s with his picture and name on it , I became curious about it so I did a background check on it. I noticed a lot of unusual things about this account. First, it was unverified, secondly it had just about 4,500 followers. At first I thought it was a scam account but I took a closer look at it and I discovered it was actually the parody (fake) Twitter account of former president of Nigeria Olusegun Obasanjo. I also saw a parody account of IBB. The account is not exactly a dormant account but it was just sitting there like a Twitter account of a secondary school boy. When I probed further, I discovered that it was a new account and posted the first tweet on 2nd of February this year. Another weird thing I noticed is that the official Twitter account of Apc Nigeria is not verified. This has made me to write about the benefits of having a verified Twitter account.

Previously verification has been solely at the discretion of Twitter. You couldn’t request it or really do anything to attract it besides grow as a person or as a brand, to the point where people notice you, and then to the point where Twitter notices you. This meant that verified users were all verified through direct notice and intervention on the part of Twitter themselves. But now Twitter has opened up it’s verification process so you can actually apply for it if you feel you are popular enough on social media. Techcapon.com is going to explain the dangers of Obasanjo not having his account verified and also the benefits of getting your account verified. Of course, it is not open to everyone, it is only open for popular people for now but maybe in future, it will be open for everyone.

Dangers:

1. Identity theft:

A powerful figure like Obasanjo is quite popular all over the world and the fact that his personal Twitter account is not verified can pose a big threat as fraudsters and Nigerian yahoo boys can easily clone the account and use it for their own selfish purposes. . A phisher could impersonate your account and then start sending messages to your followers and defraud theme easily. All they need to do is create a parody of your own personal account and they’re good to go.

2. Lack of public trust :

If your account is not verified, it will make you not to have the trust of other users. Imagine this parody account of Obasanjo says slides into a lady’s DM, she’ll be very stupid if she thinks it’s the real person behind it.

Benefits of getting verified social media accounts :

1. Prevents identity theft:

Like I said before, yahoo boys are very manipulative. One of the ways they succeed is by stealing identities of others. They can wreck havoc if given the opportunity.

2. Increase your followers as more people tend to trust verified accounts

3. Protects your reputation:

I have seen a parody account of Donald Trump saying rubbish on Twitter, the only thing that’ll tell you it’s a fake account is that it lacks the verification mark. If your account is verified, your online and offline reputation will be protected as fake parody of your account can be identified.

4. It is a sign of Trust and love among the Twitter community:

Having that blue checkmark on your Twitter account is a great sign of trust and love among the Twitter community because people who don’t know you personally will be comfortable dealing with you because they know you must be important enough for you to have that verification. It’s like a medal of honor.

5. It is a symbol of authority and accountability:

Having thousands of followers on Twitter doesn’t mean you have authority or accountability because we know that those figures can be easily manipulated using basic softwares but being verified on Twitter shows the world that you have passed some form of integrity test and that you are high profile enough. This therefore separates you from the average Twitter users and establishes your authority on the Twitter community.

Do you know other benefits of getting a verified social media account? Tell us in the comment section.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/importance-of-having-a-verified-social-media-account/

4 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by TDonald: 3:58pm On Jul 13, 2018
Mumu thread

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by directonpc(m): 7:30am On Jul 16, 2018
But Twitter has stopped verifying

Extra
Checkout this mobile app I built that let's you carry out Mobile banking safely without internet or cramming codes!

Get it from Google play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buildbrothers.ussdbanking

Don't forget to give me 5 stars if you like the app. Happy new week!

12 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:30am On Jul 16, 2018
Educative thread .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by Lexusgs430: 7:30am On Jul 16, 2018
Do I get paid monthly for verification status?
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by Ajikobi1: 7:31am On Jul 16, 2018
That's nice

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by greenglobestore(m): 7:32am On Jul 16, 2018
NICE

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by fr3do(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2018
This morning like this

Op you are using 'parody' wrongly, parodies are set up or made to comically criticize something.
Parody accounts are not used for fraud.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by greenglobestore(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2018
NICE....
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by Olawalesadiq(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2018
will this solve the problems in Nigeria,
Mtchewwwwwwww, stupid post.
verify ko, notify ni
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by israelmao(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2018
Educative and informative.

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by maxtop(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2018
With all these epistle, does it add to your account balance ? If you then you are retarded and need to go and get your brain lubricated or for regular maintenance.

Verification ko, vilification ni
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by LazyNairalander(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2018
For public figures.

oya goan check my SIGNATURE
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by hardywaltz(m): 7:35am On Jul 16, 2018
Benefit of Unverified Twitter and Social Media account:

1. It gives u plausible deniability. U can always claim the account was hacked should u get on the wrong side of social media fans.

2. It gives u flexibility: You can do as u please even shut down the account and start a new account.

9 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by Danyled: 7:35am On Jul 16, 2018

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by nairalandfreak(m): 7:35am On Jul 16, 2018
TDonald:
Mumu thread
Because it's not about unclothedness or violence about? undecided Mumu

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by Blingblings(m): 7:36am On Jul 16, 2018
So how do I get verified?? What are the conditions for verification??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by SolexxBarry(m): 7:40am On Jul 16, 2018
I heard you can get paid for likes and comments on instagram,dont know how true it is

Abeg ig account of 10k followers for sale call /whatsapp 08133261377
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by danielosagie: 7:43am On Jul 16, 2018
how does this send Buhari back to Duara
Thompsonjotham get your PVC

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by NwaJozi: 7:43am On Jul 16, 2018
People pay to get verified these days

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by HZNjnr(m): 7:50am On Jul 16, 2018
You brought a problem, you didn't proffer solutions...

How can one get verified?

2 Likes

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by room089: 7:51am On Jul 16, 2018
directonpc:
But Twitter has stopped verifying

Extra
Checkout this mobile app I built that let's you carry out Mobile banking safely without internet or cramming codes!

Get it from Google play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buildbrothers.ussdbanking

Don't forget to give me 5 stars if you like the app. Happy new week!

Nice App bro, more grease ......
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by RevenGeMission: 7:51am On Jul 16, 2018
Makes sense , but not to an average nigerian, celebrities or business owners maybe

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by yomalex(m): 7:52am On Jul 16, 2018
ok
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by Dacronym(m): 7:54am On Jul 16, 2018
How easy is it to verify your IG Acc
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by ahmedbanj(m): 7:55am On Jul 16, 2018
Issorice!
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by CertifiedFreak(m): 7:57am On Jul 16, 2018
Educate yourself on the actual meaning of parody.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by directonpc(m): 7:57am On Jul 16, 2018
room089:

Nice App bro, more grease ......
thank you mate!
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by Benblaq(m): 7:59am On Jul 16, 2018
That's when you have something to offer in exchange, either fame or money.
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by pek(m): 8:00am On Jul 16, 2018
The write up would have been complete if you told us how to get account verified.
Re: Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. by TechCapon(m): 8:02am On Jul 16, 2018
HZNjnr:
You brought a problem, you didn't proffer solutions...

How can one get verified?
will do that tonight.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whats The Advantage And Disavantages Of Updating An Andriod Phone / Who else Is Having This Geniex Notification Pop Up Every Time? / Lg Optimus L3 E400 (how To Increase Your Internal Storage Or Rom Space To 1GB)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.